Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas-Mavs.com Biggest Loser

No, this isn't a thread meant to single out creditxpert...

Seeing as it's new years, and that The Biggest Loser is back on the air, I thought it may be interesting to see how many people here are interested in losing weight.

I've rededicated myself (at least so far ) to the gym, and to eating better.

If anyone else is interested in losing weight, they can post here with their current info, and any goals you may have. Feel free to post encouragement as well.

Here are my starting stats:

1/3/08

Height: 6'8"
Weight: 282 lbs.
Body Fat % - Don't know
Waist - Will measure tonight

I don't have a specific weight goal in mind. I know i need to lose weight (i'd probably shoot for 15 pounds) and build up my endurance. I don't look too overweight (being tall helps), but i could seriously tone more, especially around the middle. I play city league basketball, so i want to build up my endurance/strength for that. I had ankle surgery 2 summers ago and was laid up for a bit, and that started me down a weight-gain path. Plus we had a kid 6 months ago, and i finally feel like i may have some free time to work out.

hopefully this doesn't die down by February... I'll still post, just for myself, if anything.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-03-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I feel that we should just get rid of the BMI as a measurement of obesity. I'm considered "obese" by the BMI, but i'm far from it. the BMI is horrible for athletes, and especially for tall people.

for those interested in Body Fat estimations, there are some calculations you can use, and all you need is a measuring tape (no water displacement tank or calipers).

It's not as accurate, but it's definitely a good guide. There's the YMCA calculation and the Navy calculation.

YMCA calculation:

male body fat in pounds = (4.15 * (waist circumference in inches)) - (0.082 * (body weight in pounds)) - 98.42

female body fat in pounds = (4.15 * (waist circumference in inches)) - (0.082 * (body weight in pounds)) - 76.76

obviously, divide the body fat in pounds by your total weight in pounds to get the percentage.

Navy Calculation: Harder to explain, so go here:

http://www.bblex.de/en/calc/navy.php

There are tons of websites where you can enter the data and it will spit out your body fat %. Just google it. And don't suck in when measuring your waist!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

You're a monster.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

sweet! Great thread idea!

My girlfriend and i started watching episode 1 of the biggest loser this past Tuesday.(I've never watched the other seasons) And we love it, so we got that on DVR now.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed working out and staying in shape. I started working out when i was 15 or 16 for high school football, and just kept doing it. There were plenty of times in college, where i would skip class and go the the gym instead. It was genius. Some of my buddies would go workout drunk(like twice), because they thought they could lift more. It was pretty funny.

One thing that i really like about my girlfriend is that she works out as well. She was working out before i met her, so we have that in common. And we go workout together 4-6 times a week. It's great. Although there are times when i look forward to going alone. SHHH!

1-3-2008
Height: 5'9" (although i always say 5'10")
Weight: 175-180, depends on the day
Body fat %: Around 10%, I've been down as low as 7 %, but that was insane.
Waist: 33-34, although i buy 36. I like room for my junk.

As far as goals, I've never stopped working out for more than a few weeks at a time (injuries, or vacations are exceptions) I just like staying in shape. I hope to continue this as i get older and if/when we have kids.

My routine

Here is a short excerpt
I always work out 2 days on, then 1 day off and repeat.

Day 1, cardio, back, bi's, abs
Day 2, cardio, Chest, tris, abs
Day 3 OFF
Repeat

So in a given week.
Monday (Day 1)
Tuesday(Day 2)
Wednesday (OFF)
Thursday (Day 1)
Friday (Day 2)
Saturday (OFF)
Sunday (Day 1)
Monday (Day 2)
Tuesday (OFF)

So you can see the pattern there.
Currently i am doing light shoulder workouts on both days as well, to rehab my banged up shoulder.

Legs, i don't' do any set days of Leg workouts. I have had 2 knee surgeries a few years ago, and when i don't do legs. I feel good. I do calf raises though on random days too. I think with the cardio workout i do, my legs get enough exercise.

As far as my cardio. I really like walking on the treadmill on in incline. You'd be surprised at how many calories you can burn doing this..

I do 15 incline at 4.2 mph (you kinda have to hold onto the top of the treadmill) until i get to 400 calories. Usually it is right around 25 minutes. Then i walk for 2 minutes, take some Gatorade. Then i run 1 - 3 miles, depending on how i feel. I run at 7.2 mph up through 8.5 mph depending on how i am feeling that day.

TRY IT! Start off slow, don't overdue yourself and get hurt and make an effort. Once you get going for a good month, the fat will melt off. And your body will transform.

Also, your body is made in the kitchen, not in the gym! and portion control is the easiest way to drop weight.

Last edited by MavsX; 01-03-2008 at 03:59 PM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could get motivated to get in shape. I'm not "fat" but certainly I'm very doughy and out of shape. Every year when the weather gets nice I go out running 3-4 times a week all summer for a couple of miles. I lose 5-10 pounds. Then it gets cold, sports and tv start again, and I don't do crap and gain the 10 pounds back.

Oh, and beer. I like beer.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 01-03-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I'll get in on this. I'm 5'10" and about 200.

I stopped lifting a few years ago (too boring) and running about a year ago (also grew boring). Instead, I've been doing more activities like surfing, snowboarding and amateur parkour stuff. Still have a 'buff' build (think I will always have it from college rugby & HS football) but feel more toned with these activities. They also are somewhat more stimulating and relaxing from a mental point of view.

That said, I've gained some poundage recently. I graduated from school a year and a half ago and have become a cubicle rat. For the first year, I sort of kept it in check but was slowly slipping the whole time. The last six months and the holiday season especially kicked my ass with the lack of time, the weather and excess of food & drink.

So I'm going to add rock climbing to my routine. Got some sneaks for Xmas and will enroll in a gym today.

I've always dropped weight when I'm overseas (to about 185) just from eating smaller portions and walking around all the damn time and have felt my best at that weight. So I'm aiming for a 15-25 pound drop.

I agree with MavsX, your diet is huge. I've always been pretty good about working out (until the last few months) but my diet I have not monitored. I do try to eat healthy, about 5 out of 7 days, but always binge a day or two and also eat too much. So I will be monitoring my portions moving forward. I think this will be the hard part.

The rock climbing should be the fun part. Also, motivating myself to get up earlier to get some early AM waves.

GOOD LUCK.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I graduated from school a year and a half ago and have become a cubicle rat
Me too. 2 years out of school and in a damned chair all day. I hate that.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

It is rough. The time you're not in the chair you spend going to/fro the chair, sleeping for the chair and resting for the chair.

Makes me think of Fight Club: "This is your life, and it is ending one minute at a time."

So back on point, I'm thinking of getting my membership at the rock climbing gym near my office and skipping out for an hour at lunch.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

6' 8" 280, why aren't you playing for the Cowboys or the Mavericks?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

my goal is to get up to 6'8"

I am a little foggy on a reasonable regiment to achieve my goal
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #11
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Last edited by mcsluggo; 01-03-2008 at 05:13 PM.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

LRB had some weight loss goals at one point. I often wonder how he's doing.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good thread, BBL. I've made living a healthier lifestyle a very big priority in my life over the last six months or so, so it's definitely interesting to see what other folks are doing in terms of their diet and exercise.

I'm 32 and I stand just over 6-3 (almost 6-4) in height and have a large, strong frame, and as of this morning, weigh 228 lbs. I'm currently pretty darned happy about that figure because as recently as the end of last June my weight crept up to about 265 (which made me look somewhat overweight, but like BBL, my big frame and height mitigates that effect), and I've spent a lot of time and effort in both changing my eating habits and more significantly working out intensively on a daily basis. I'm currently striving to drive my body fat down to around 7-8 % (I know that's low, but as long as I'm making the effort, why not go all the way down?), which will find me weighing somewhere around 210-215, and then I am going to have to remain diligent in maintaining that body fat %, and also judiciously begin lifting weights aggressively again in order to add significant muscle mass (something that has never been difficult for me) without bulking up too much or putting too much strain on my back, knees, or ankles.

Currently, I play basketball in the early morning 4-5 times a week, I bike to school and work everyday in the metro downtown Houston area (call it about 5-10 miles of road biking daily), I never do less than 1/2 an hour of high intensity work on the elliptical trainer for six out the seven days of the week (I always take either Sat. or Sun. off, but never both), I have slowly built up a habit of doing progressively more push-ups and sit-ups everyday, so that I now never do less than 300 of each on most days, I do moderate weight lifting three times a week, whenever I have extra time at the gym I do ball handling drills and shoot jumpers before doing the elliptical or lifting, and I've recently started doing plyometric jumping exercises in a probably deluded hope that I can get close to dunking again. I know that sounds like a lot, but I'm usually able to fit most of it in by working out very early in the morning (I often show up around 5 AM), and then stopping by for shorter visits in the afternoon, so even when my schedule becomes very demanding, I'm able to make time for the workouts in a non-disruptive way (as long as I get to bed early, that is).

As for the diet component of what I am doing... I don't really like sweets, so sugar and chocolate consumption aren't difficult for me to moderate, but I am a big guy who likes big portions of hearty food and I love to cook, so basically I've been eating large amounts of lean meats (I live on round roasts, sirloin steaks, and boneless, skinless chicken breasts) along with low/no fat carbohydrates like rice, potatoes, corn, and homemade breads. As long as I restrict the fats in my diet by cooking lean foods and avoiding cheeses, and continue to faithfully execute my workout regimin, I find that I can still eat large, good meals, and still expect to lose 1-2 lbs of fat every week. And as a matter of fact, I also believe that if I restricted my diet to rabbit foods, juniper berries, and whey, or restricted myself to 7 oz dinner portions, as some folks seem to do when dieting, instead of eating large amounts of lean meats and potatoes, I wouldn't have the energy to be able to work out as much or as effectively as I currently do, and I would be commensurately less healthy.

Good luck on your resolution BBL (and anyone else reading who has made a similar one), and just for the heck of it, I'll probably post an update or two in coming weeks if I drop another 10 lbs and jump on boxes enough to maybe become capable of dunking again ...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 01-03-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

13% body fat...... is that normal? I'm on the other train, I'm trying to gain weight, or transform a big part of that body fat into muscle.....
Old 01-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

6'3" 228 (as of yesterday morning)

Currently I am doing nothing regarding working out and that just sucks. I used to work out and run a lot back in my high school days but once college came and all of my friends moved off I lost my basketball buddies and tennis buddies that used to keep me in shape. I have made some new tennis buddies and I play regularly in the Summer and not so much during these times, but it isn't nearly enough.

Get this, I have a $700 gym in a spare bedroom that just sits there most days. Motivation has a lot to do with it. I don't look fat due to my height and I still have muscle from high school so I never feel like I am out of shape. The one time I did get seriously overweight I knocked it off FAST as I have always been able to do, (actually got to 272 - yeah...). Most of that is caused by my insomnia - I typically don't go to sleep until 2am. So I get hungry again after eating dinner at 6pm and I want to eat at 1am. Guess what that means, a big fatty meal right before bed. Good news is that has been cut out and I am forcing myself to go to bed earlier now, (actually my body is getting quite a bit more tired recently for some reason - the wife says I am getting old).

Bottom line, I need to get motivated but I just feel exhausted most of the time. My job is really taxing as you get to work at 7am and I typically don't leave until 6. I never eat lunch - never. I rarely eat breakfast - more now while dieting though, (most aren't a fan of it but I lose weight really fast and I keep it off using the Atkins diet - if you go back to eating whatever you want though it will come back - imagine that). All of this typically makes me over eat for dinner. But when you get home at 6 and your wife is tired from having worked all day and spending the past 2 hours after work with a wild kiddo, (while being pregnant), you then have to seriously kick it in gear with the home duties and when I am done with work, home duties, and playing with Taylor I am just exhausted. I can't even imagine how I will manage to have the willpower or desire to work out when a second kiddo arrives.

I want to and have wanted to get myself motivated though and maybe a thread like this can do it. I tried to do that using Murph's old running thread but hell, that didn't help. You guys keep posting updates. Some people might not speak up but I doubt I am the only one that could use some motivation.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Geez some of you guys are really tall.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #17
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

6'1" and on Jan 1 I weighed in at 225. This time last year I was about 200. I'll get there again by March through cutting calories and starting a mild cardio routine. No red meat or beer for me until the end of the month.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #18
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Dang, 6'8"???? I wish i was that tall. I'm 18, 6'1" and weight 165 lbs.

But yeah i'm having the same problem as flaco. I'm not like fat but i am outta shape thanks to the weather. I've tried going jogging but eh.... its way to cold!

Last edited by Dirkgreatness; 01-03-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Dirkgreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #19
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Ohh and yeah i'm gonna get that 6 pack this year.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #20
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 205 lbs.
Body Fat % - Don't know
Waist - 36" (3 months ago I was about to go to a 40")

Probably the biggest reason I gained my weight is because I quit slowpitch softball. I went from playing 6 nights a week and 2 tournament teams to retirement. UGH.

I will be the first to tell ya. I was and still am F A T. I got up to about 235lbs. I have a big frame so I carried it well, but I was fat and miserable. That was 3 1/2 months ago. I used to drink close to 20 cokes a day (yea i know), any sugar item I wanted, and really greasy fast foods. I would go to Jack in the box and order the Ultimate cheeseburger meal and (2) tacos and still be hungry afterwards.

Well I haven't had a softdrink, I eliminated all the sugar out of my diet, and I cut my portions in half and I lost weight. Not for everybody though. Ya have to be really motivated and have good will power. Once ya make it through the first 2 weeks, its easy from there.

I am carrying my wife to playa del carmen in July, so I got 6 months to look good. I would like to keep my weight at 200lbs and be all muscle. I might just settle for 190lbs and a six pack though. Really undecided though, just know I need to lose weight.

I will post my weight in here every month from here until then...

Wish me luck.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #21
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck Umk...
Old 01-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
As for the diet component of what I am doing... I don't really like sweets, so sugar and chocolate consumption aren't difficult for me to moderate, but I am a big guy who likes big portions of hearty food
I'd say this is my biggest problem. I'm not a huge sweets guy, either, but i like a good sized meal. But we've been moving to leaner meats as well.

Another problem with me is that I travel quite a bit. it's very hard to eat healthy on the road, but i'm dedicated to making it work. it's also hard to find gym time, but i gotta do that as well.

as for working out, i've gotten back to the gym for weight training and cardio. For cardio, i do a lot on the elliptical machine (about an hour each time) - running kills my joints. I also do a kickboxing class - and no, i'm not the only guy in there - i'm like 1 of 4. but hey, where else can you get a really good workout, punch something to let out agression, and look at hot chicks in tight pants? I highly recommend it.

And then there's basketball. I'm not playing as much pickup as I'd like, and i think that's one major contributor to weight gain (as well as the holidays and my ankle). I used to play about 3-4 times per week, and that was my sole source of cardio. so having cut back on that, i was losing my cardio. Of course, in college, i was practicing every day, so that was my cardio back then.

the winter months are indeed tough to get motivated for. I always also lose weight in the summer. But i'm trying to get a head start on it.

glad to hear everyone else's comments, and for those that are in this with me, keep with it and stay motivated!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #23
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ummmmmmmmmmm ok, amazing what cutting sodas can do. liquid calories are never a good thing.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #24
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

and yeah, i'm 6'8". The cowboys called, but I just didn't have time in my schedule to be a pro athlete.

I've always played basketball, but the football coach at my high school wanted me to come out and play for him, at Tight End. But, selfishly, I didn't like that. Our football team ran the ball ALL the time, so i'd just be blocking, over and over again, with no chance of seeing the ball. I do wonder what would have happened if i went with football instead of basketball (or played both), because i do have a broad build (after all, i'm not 6'8" and 220 pounds).
Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #25
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 175
Body Fat%: No clue.
Waist: 34.

In June of 2006, I was 5'8" and 215, which is pretty grotesque, to say the least. After walking all over Europe for two weeks, I was an even 200 when I started college, and that was down to my current weight by Christmas. What I still don't understand is how I managed it - I have never, ever regularly exercised in my life (I just don't get any joy from it, like I do from music or writing), and I ate mostly from the cafeteria, which I'd hardly say was healthy.

I don't really have the body type to be what BMI says should be my ideal weight (I'm naturally stocky, and being 135 or 140 is just not acceptable). A goal I've set for myself this next semester is to get down to 160 and actually get a lot of my fat into muscle. I've got some major man boobs. I largely cook for myself now, and I eat a lot of squash and chicken. I'll hopefully continue that kind of diet, though I need to add a lot more fruits. I eat all kinds of vegetables pretty regularly, but that's because they make good sides for my meals, as I don't eat snacks.

I also don't eat breakfast, which I've heard is a problem, but not one that I'm willing to fix (I value sleep over breakfast, and I'm quite frankly not hungry enough in the mornings).

So, I've set a goal of going to the gym twice a week during January, thrice a week in February and March, and four in April and May. Hopefully that will help accomplish my goal of 160, and a much improved body fat percentage. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #26
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread.

I got together on another board last summer with other women who needed/wanted to lose weight. I changed everything about my eating habits and started walking and lifting weights. I stopped exercising for a while but have maintained my healthy eating and have managed not to gain. We're all renewing our efforts and I have another 30 pounds I'd like to lose.

I'm 5'10, 31 yrs old, 207 pounds. Ugh, can't believe I just admitted that on this board but I'm tired of being embarassed or feel like I have to lose weight for others. I feel better, am more active, and living a much healthier life. I'm proud of what I have already done and whether or not I reach my new goal everyone here has my support.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #27
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos to everyone in this thread.

Healthy eating is a way of life. Don't think of it as a diet. Truly everyone on this Earth that eats food is on a diet... if they are eating food anyway. But the stigma attached to the word diet gives the impression (for most anyway) that they will take over a healthy diet in search of meeting a goal. The problem is that once the bad eating habits return you almost always revert to having an unhealthy profile.

You feel better too. And you begin to crave heatlhy foods also.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #28
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I'm 6'7'', and used to weigh pounds. I got down to about 220, but I'm probably up to 235 or so at this point. Need to get back on it.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #29
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

So here's a "before" picture. This was taken at Thanksgiving - it's the only real recent full-body shot i have.

Like I said, I don't consider myself to look that overweight, but i can definitely lose some and tone up. After picture will come later (maybe next year )

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-03-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #30
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Note to self: Don't f$%ck with BBL.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #31
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Nice thread I lost a good bit of weight a few years ago but it is slowly creeeping back.

About 4 years ago I got to 225 which at 5'10 ain't so purdy. I spent about six months and lost about 50 pounds. Maintained for a couple of years, then discovered I really love road biking, and actually lost about 10 more pounds to get to 165 by the end of last year. I was kind of skinny, but boy I felt good.

The short of it was I had 3 bikes in a row stolen, and kind of gave up on the biking. Back to 180 which isn't terrible, but I would like to get back to where I was a year ago. I noticed such a great spike in energy when I was consistently riding.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #32
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

BBl,

I always thought it was 6'8 with the afro.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #33
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ha ha, more like 7'2" with the fro.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #34
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
So here's a "before" picture. This was taken at Thanksgiving - it's the only real recent full-body shot i have.

Like I said, I don't consider myself to look that overweight, but i can definitely lose some and tone up. After picture will come later (maybe next year )

bbl you handsome devil you.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #35
MavsX
Diamond Member

the magic of the internet has brought us all together.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #36
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
bbl you handsome devil you.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MavsX again.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:07 AM   #37
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Already posted in the Opening Weekend thread but just to give a comparison to what you mean BBL, I too don't think I look fat, or too fat anyway. I have thick legs and an average waist, (228 lbs but wear 36 jeans - some 38). I just need to tone the midsection and legs. If any of you are hardcore tennis fans or cyclists you know how large your thighs can get. The problem is if you stop playing sports that helped build those legs they start to lose their definition and just look like fat legs. I am not there yet by any means, but I don't like the way things have changed since high school.

More than anything, I need to find some dedicated people that can consistently go out and hit with me or lift with me to keep me motivated. It is a bitch when you are basically doing it on your own.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:13 AM   #38
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Damn. Per the YMCA thing, I have 11% BF, which is a lot lower than I thought. Is this for real?

If so, I guess I want to be in the 9-10% range.

So I signed up for the rock climbing gym tonight and am going to go for the first time tomorrow. Good luck all!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:15 AM   #39
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
More than anything, I need to find some dedicated people that can consistently go out and hit with me or lift with me to keep me motivated. It is a bitch when you are basically doing it on your own.
man, that is the truth. When i was in school, i had my teammates to work out with, run stadium steps with, etc. i haven't had a consistent workout partner since then. it really does help to have someone to work out with.

my wife works out with me every once in a while, but we don't like doing the same thing when exercising (she LOVES running), so that's no help.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #40
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Dan, I feel that.

That's the deal with some sports. I played tennis in high school and gave up on it for the contact sports but when I wanted to go back to it, it was hard to find people at similar skill levels who also had similar dedication/interest/schedules/etc. And serving or hitting a wall gets old. Basketball, as well, shooting jumpers and chasing down your own misses. Some sports are just meant to be played with other people, even in training.

Lifting and running are easier to manage by yourself since they are pretty time-efficient exercises but I really feel why I've taken to surfing (and hopefully rock climbing) is that the mental stimuli and competitive burn you'd get from tennis or hoops is still there but it's much more independent.

EDIT: So I guess my point is to perhaps seek out more independent physical activities? Bicycling seems to be a big one on the site. Any others, anyone?

Last edited by rabbitproof; 01-04-2008 at 02:24 AM.