Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 AM   #41
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

great thread. great read.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2008, 05:35 AM   #42
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

To Dan,

maybe we need a Leader Board like in the arcade section, to motivate you.

(My suggestion to you: Play less arcade games and lose weight!!!)

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #43
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Hahahaha... Hurts when you get dropped to 5th place in the standings and ya have to come take it out on my weight eh?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #44
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

At least I´m better than you in loosing weight at the Leader Board in the arcade section.

Now that I lost weight in the arcade, the arcade lost some weight for me. It´s all about the weight!

And it doesn´t bother me . . . damn you!

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Old 01-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #45
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I work out every day at my local gym

One day I run one mile (or 1.5) on the treadmill or elliptical, then do heavy chest and arms, then do a lighter set of abs

The next day I'll run two or more miles on the treadmill or elliptical, do heavy leg press, and heavy abs

those days alternate throughout the week...

I've been doing this workout to one to degree or another for a month along with better eating habits and have already seen noticeable change in my body (which wasn't really that out of shape to begin with)

the real sike

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #46
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I deleted my stats from before... but this thread is good stuff, so here goes.

first of all, you people in your early/mid 20s, now is more important than you realize. In your 20s it is really REALLY easy to get back into shape, so you don't feel the urgency (at least that was the case with me, and it sounds to be the case with a bunch of you). I cfelt like could lounge arond for months, suddenly realize that my metabolism was dropping and go out and run 2 two times over a three day week-end, and voila BACK IN SHAPE. Trust me.... that goes away! (tragically)

I just turned 40 (gasp!) (sigh)
fortunately I had managed to avoid getting into the workforce for 33 of the first 35 years, so I was mostly able to stay in shape, because in school (college grad school, teaching college, ...whichever...) you have alot more time, facilities and schedule flexibility. Ihad always been a bit of a wiry twig, with good endurance until I blew my ankle out and stopped playing any sports (or really doing any exercise at all for a couple of years). THen entering the sedintary life of a an 8:30 to 6 job (with 45 minutes of commute on each side) AND kids... really tossed me into the doughy zone. I never got really big, but I was WAY out of shape (and much bigger than I had been before while simultaneusly MUCH weaker--- at one point my weight stayed roughly the same but my waiste wet up 4 inches while my Jacket droped several sizes...hmmmmm)

anyway, the solution I recommend for ANYONE that can swing it is biking to work. THat is what I do in the months that have enough daylight. it rocks. You don't lose ANY time out of your day (because you have to commute anyway) AND once you get into the routine you just execise twice a day, EVERY work day. As I said, it rocks.

I am a tad under 6'2" and at my highest I was somewhere in the 190s (I think, it might've been in the low 200s) at the end of autumn (end of biking season) I was around 165. With biking stopping and the THanksgiving to Christmas express I'm probably in the low to mid 170s now --- I can't say, because I haven't been to the gym since early November (yikes).

I know that 165 sounds a bit skinny for my height, but it is a good weight for me now, my sustainable muscle mass shrank a bit as I fosilized into a geriocracy. When I AM biking, since I shower and change at the gym (in the basement of my office) I actually lift weights periodically as well, since I am there... and by the end of the summer I hactually had a six pack again for a short while... shocking! ANyway, my short term goal is to not backslide too much before I am able to start biking again... I've been hiking some,, and I tried picking up jogging periodically again, but ever since I ruined my ankle my gait has been different, and my knee gets sore when I run. bah.

Last edited by mcsluggo; 01-04-2008 at 01:55 PM.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #47
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I could not agree more on the biking. I need to restart, but I spent about 2 years biking for almost any trip I made that I could not drive. First I enjoyed it, second I felt awesome after doing this. I lost weight, felt great, and it really was no inconvenience. PM me for the Pics.

I kid on that you creepy bastards.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #48
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Biking to work in a suit and in 100+ degree weather (summer) is not good.

But it sounds great.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #49
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
13% body fat...... is that normal? I'm on the other train, I'm trying to gain weight, or transform a big part of that body fat into muscle.....
13% is right about average for a male around the age I'm assuming you are (somewhere between 18-40, right?).

Anything past 15% is considered "overweight" for a guy. Below 10 is ideal. IMHO, if you're at 13%, the first thing you wanna do is cut down to about 9 or 10 percent, then bulk up with a good lifting routine+ eating lean foods. You can't "turn fat into muscle" per se, and generally you don't want to bulk up unless you're at or below 10% body fat. So I'd cut a bit first.

But it's all up to you.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-04-2008 at 02:52 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #50
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree with McSluggo and Grbh about the good points of bike commuting, as that's something I've been doing everyday for about the last six months, and it has been a great help to me in my efforts to drop body fat. In my opinion, for short commutes on decent roads, nothing beats biking in terms of it's health benefits and enjoyability, but if you do have to regularly bike 10+ miles daily I'd strongly recommend getting a good, high end road bike so you save the wear and tear on your back that an el-cheapo bike can leave you feeling after your commute (I just upgraded from a value priced Schwinn bike to a very nice KHS, and the difference is night and day in terms of both comfort and efficiency on the road)...
Old 01-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #51
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is a great read.

Question?
Of the people on this board that work as computer geeks, are there any that aren't 5'8" - 5'10" and 195-230lbs.

Just curious, because I am one as well, and fall in the same category. For years I was the same size as Emmitt Smith 5'9" - 208 lbs.....not that I look like Emmitt but if you took his chest and moved it down about 8-10" and removed all the tone.... I'd be much closer.

Yes, I need to lose a few myself, but I think I will wait to see how Dan does, and compete at his weight-watch (loss) game. LOL After all we know Dan never LOSES.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #52
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Question?
Of the people on this board that work as computer geeks, are there any that aren't 5'8" - 5'10" and 195-230lbs.
i work in a cubicle at a software company... does that count? Used to be support and development, but now i'm in sales. but i was always 6'8".
Old 01-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #53
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
i work in a cubicle at a software company... does that count? Used to be support and development, but now i'm in sales. but i was always 6'8".
Nope doesn't count. I worked as technical sales support for handheld software at the turn of the century and we had a 7', a 6'8", two 6'7" and a 6'5" working in software sales, but all but one of the geeks on the tech side were under 6'........that is why I was asking that stupid question.

Seems like usually the taller you are the more natural charisma you have (although not always).

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #54
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Question?
I'm a 5'10", 163lb computer geek. So I'm a little light for your mold.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #55
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I'm a 5'10", 163lb computer geek. So I'm a little light for your mold.
are you close to 30 yet ..... I was about that size at 24-25. LOL

Old 01-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #56
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
are you close to 30 yet ..... I was about that size at 24-25. LOL
Yeah that's why...I'm 25.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #57
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Question?

Just curious, because I am one as well, and fall in the same category. For years I was the same size as Emmitt Smith 5'9" - 208 lbs.....not that I look like Emmitt but if you took his chest and moved it down about 8-10" and removed all the tone.... I'd be much closer.

Yes, I need to lose a few myself, but I think I will wait to see how Dan does, and compete at his weight-watch (loss) game. LOL After all we know Dan never LOSES.
Dalm, do you fail to recall my profession?

I am 6'3'' and a Network Admin.

You have no idea how many times I have been told I don't fit the mold for this line of work.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #58
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

And for the record, while I seldom fail in the Arcade department, I lose weight at staggering speeds. Being completely honest here, I went from 272 to 219 in just under 3 months. I lost 53 lbs. in roughly 85 days. How? I drank ONLY water. I did the Atkins diet without ever adding to the initial 20 carbs per day. I jogged 1-2 times per week. The end.

I am 227 as of this morning and I will HOPEFULLY be 210 before my daughter's birthday, (Feb 13th). Anything less than 210 and I start looking like a weenie - it just doesn't fit me. MAYBE 205, but never again under 200.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #59
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Smoking crack works for me... I'm 30 years old and weigh 96 pounds (lighter than I was in 5th grade!)

Of course, some of the weight loss comes from my teeth falling out, but that's the sacrifice you have to make to be thin & beautiful like me...

>cough<

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #60
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
Dalm, do you fail to recall my profession?

I am 6'3'' and a Network Admin.

You have no idea how many times I have been told I don't fit the mold for this line of work.
Heck yes I remembered your profession, just didn't know you were 6'3" --- maybe that deer is a little larger than I thought.....LOL

And yes, you are too big to be a Net Admin.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #61
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Motivate me, please?

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #62
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Whoever is giving Dalm rep for being a dumbass can kiss my fat ass!

/hijack
Old 01-05-2008, 06:27 AM   #63
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Who is that wicked and gives Dalm rep for teasing you

. . .

"Talk to the claw."

Old 01-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #64
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

as long you burn more than you intake, you will lose weight

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #65
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

dumbass edit...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 01-05-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #66
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
Whoever is giving Dalm rep for being a dumbass can kiss my fat ass!

/hijack
hahahahahahaha

Thanks Dan, I needed that laugh this morning.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #67
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Underdog again.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #68
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget tomorrow, tuesday is when the 2nd episode of the biggest loser aires.

watch it!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #69
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

almost 28. 5'9" 155-160. Don't need to lose any weight. I weighed in at 180 a little over a year ago, but then I lost my job, and got divorced all in one year. With that came a little loss of appetite, and a change in eating habits(not healthy at all, just don't eat as much). Im a single dad with a 4year old son, so I end up eating kids food. as a matter of fact, I could probably stand to put back on some lbs.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #70
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

6'1, 185 lb.

Was 165 a year ago. Oh well.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #71
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

5'7" 130 for me.

I don't need to lose weight, just ton up my abs a little bit

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 AM   #72
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE: Hit the rock gym for the first time today. Felt good but was not able to go too long as my poor technique is rough on my stamina. Will be a work in progress and as is, it makes for a solid 30-45 minute workout. As my technique improves, the length of time may be a restriction. Oh well.

On the food front, I'm not counting calories or weighting food or anything but am just keeping an eye on portions. Part of that has been breaking 3 meals into 3 smaller meals and 2 snacks. How's everybody doing?

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 01-08-2008 at 01:54 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #73
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Umm....I only had one beer at the Stars game on Saturday as opposed to my usual 3.

(seriously, I did)
Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #74
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i've hit the gym every weekday so far (taking the weekends to spend it all with my wife and kid - went to the zoo on sunday).

I used to do all my weight training and cardio in the same visit, going M-W-F. but i found i was at the gym for like 3 hours. I've decided i'll go more often (breaking up my workouts), but spend less total time at the gym each time. so far it's worked well time-wise, and i'm feeling good.

as for food, i've completely cut sodas (with an occasional diet soda). I wasn't drinking that many to begin with, so cutting it all out will be easy. I mostly drink water, and sometimes those diet green teas with citrus.

we've been cooking leaner as well. we have like a gazillion "Cooking Light" cookbooks, so we've been getting recipes from there. And in looking through our fridge, we don't really even buy unhealthy stuff. it's all Light stuff, and fat-free stuff, so we've always kind of had that goal.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #75
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
we've been cooking leaner as well. we have like a gazillion "Cooking Light" cookbooks, so we've been getting recipes from there. And in looking through our fridge, we don't really even buy unhealthy stuff. it's all Light stuff, and fat-free stuff, so we've always kind of had that goal.
I'd be interested to hear what you(or anyone) cooks for dinners.

My wife and I started to monitor what we ate for dinner last year, because were eating out too much, and eating too many pastas and things of that nature late in the day.

We do things now like grilled or baked chicken breasts with a steamed vegetable, usually broccoli or asparagus, with some rice or sometimes mashed potatoes (I know, not good, but it's a weakness of mine).

We do the same thing with Salmon or Tilapia fillets.

I've started making different kinds of salads as well, usually with grilled chicken. Sometimes with some buffallo sauce and mushrooms and onions, or with a southwestern "taco salad" kind of thing.

Just trying to stay away from too many carbs and starches late in the day, we don't really count calories too much (yet)

Anyone make anything good? (I like to cook...or try)
Old 01-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #76
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

that all sounds good to me, flac, and very similar to what we're doing.

my wife has also found some good, light recipes for spaghetti sauce, jambalya, meatloaf, and on and on.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-08-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #77
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

1.) Teriyaki Chicken – broiled breast of chicken, steamed snow peas and wasabi mashed potatoes.

2.) Orange Roughy – lightly breaded and seasoned baked orange roughy with lemon parsley rice and sautéed zucchini (substitute spinach for zucchini)

3.) Lemon-peppered salmon fillet – a delicious broiled salmon fillet, a portion of brown rice and a serving of steamed broccoli

4.) Shrimp scampi – shrimp sautéed in a white wine and garlic sauce with penne pasta

5.) Singapore shrimp – stir fried sweet and spicy shrimp over steamed rice with soybeans
Old 01-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #78
MavsX
Diamond Member

Any of you guys heard of edamame? (/ay-duh-MAH-may/)

Its a soybean. Its a perfect food. 1/3 protein, 1/3 fat(good fat) 1/3 carbs.

buy them frozen in bags. Boil some water. Drain the edamame, apply salt. Eat! Don't eat the shells though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edamame

Last edited by MavsX; 01-08-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #79
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, i often get edamame when i eat sushi.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #80
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
yeah, i often get edamame when i eat sushi.

Yeah thats where we started eating edamame too. Well try having it with some chicken and rice. If your sick of spinach or other veggies. Try some edamame!