Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #281
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest problem is sodas.... I love them.. I love Dr. Pepper. My next biggest problem is that I have a job in which I cannot wait to get away from the office for just a bit. That usually leads me to going somewhere to eat...and, well, eating fast food. I love hamburgers.

So yeah, after running a marathon a couple of years back, I was down to around 185 or so. My top weight had been 243. Well, after a series of physical setbacks that kept me from doing much of anything as far as exercise goes, I ballooned back up to around 238. I'm back down to around 200, but I still have the weaknesses involving burgers and sodas and pizza and steak... I've never really changed my eating habits much, just worked out more. But, when something happens that limits my ability to workout, the weight comes back on pretty quick. At some point, I'm going to have to seriously adjust my eating habits. Hell, maybe when I'm 40.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #282
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I've done this before, but I forget how much I hate breaking a bad habit. Kicken soda's is like any other bad habit or addiction...I've been in a bad mood and feel this need for a soda fix.

If I remember correctly it takes about 3 weeks before the habit is changed and the moods change.

Well today is day 6 and I'm sober from soda :-) No matter how grouchy I may be, I can celebrate being sober!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #283
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

i've been almost 16 months soda free. this coming from a guy that drank 20 a day.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #284
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummmmm Ok View Post
i've been almost 16 months soda free. this coming from a guy that drank 20 a day.
Good stuff.

My challenge is that I am attacking this like Basic Training. Civilian life to new recruit...Shocking the System.

I'm drinking water and cutting down on other junk...Not sure yet if what I have replaced the food/soda's with is a great idea, but I will push through.

Today's food consists of:

Breakfast:
16 ounces of water
1 Tangerine (Mandarin Orange - Seedless)
1 11 oz can of SlimFast Optima (Strawberry) - hey it's tolerable, otherwise, I'ld eat about 3-4 eggs, Ham, Bacon, biscuits with gravy and some french toast or pancakes...so SlimFast will have to shock my system until I can manage a better breakfast.

Lunch:
1 package of pop-tarts (2 in the package)

Early afternoon snack:
1 11 oz can of SlimFast Optima
1 Tangerine (Mandarin Orange - Seedless)
18 oz of water

Not sure yet what's for dinner when I get home...but Water will be a part of the deal.

I'm trying to cut back for this week...since next week I will be on the road around customers and colleagues. Once my mind is focused, I can make good choices on the road.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #285
92bDad
Platinum Member

So far so good...January 19 and still soda free...but I am a bit cranky!!!

One problem...I was on a business trip to NY and we freakin ate too much all week...sure I could have made better choices...but trying to fit in on the social and politics of business...too much pasta, steak, asian...you name it, we ate too much!!!

Now I'm back and back on the slimfast...I've got to break this habit and learn to make better choices when I'm on the road.

I've got another trip coming up to Florida in Feb, Vegas in March...Paris in March as well.

Any tips on how to be a road warrior and eat right?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #286
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

any of you fatso's still working out? I hope so, if not MavsX will come over and beat your ass!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #287
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

I started doing the p90x workout. After doing weight lifting for about 4-5 months I felt like I hit a plateau, but I started doing this and after 3 weeks I feel like I am down 1/2 to 1 pants size. This stuff combines cardio with strength training. Since I have bad ankles (basketball injuries), it is hard for me to do running for long period of time.

Also, have any of yall taken any dietary supplements? I started taking Omega 3-6-9 fish oil. I am also looking into taking a diet pill to speed along the weight loss process.
http://www.consumerpricewatch.net/ looks like a pretty good website to follow and I am thinking about buying the Lipofuze.

What are yall's thoughts?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #288
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
I started doing the p90x workout. After doing weight lifting for about 4-5 months I felt like I hit a plateau, but I started doing this and after 3 weeks I feel like I am down 1/2 to 1 pants size. This stuff combines cardio with strength training. Since I have bad ankles (basketball injuries), it is hard for me to do running for long period of time.

Also, have any of yall taken any dietary supplements? I started taking Omega 3-6-9 fish oil. I am also looking into taking a diet pill to speed along the weight loss process.
http://www.consumerpricewatch.net/ looks like a pretty good website to follow and I am thinking about buying the Lipofuze.

I'd stay away from the diet pill if I were you, but mostly because I'm the kind of person who worries about the long term effects of that kind of stuff. I'm certainly not gonna judge you if you take it. The Omega essential fatty acids, on the other hand, are a great idea. In addition to fish oil, I'd recommend also supplementing with some Flaxseed oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummmmm Ok View Post
20 a day is mind boggling! I average about 2 a day (usually one diet and one regular) and I feel like it's an inescapable vice.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-25-2009 at 08:40 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #289
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post

Yeah, stay away from diet pills. Most diet pills seem to be either dangerous or ineffective. Fish oil is great for a number of reasons so keep up with that although I wouldn't go for some 3-6-9 formula. Honestly you really don't need any extra Omega 6 fatty acids, there's plenty of them in the American diet, which is part of the reason fish oil (which is an Omega 3 fatty acid supplement) helps with so many problems. The average American has an out of whack Omega 6 to Omega 3 fatty acid ratio, and the Omega 3s in fish oil help balance that out. So I just stick to the regular fish oil pills that I get at Sam's, about 10 bucks for 400 (or something like that).

The best thing for losing weight is just a diet with lots of lean sources of protein and fresh green veggies (you can add some other stuff depending on how slow you want to take it, just remember not to add too much because the goal is to lose weight!). Exercise is good and should be part of the equation, but it's a lot easier to create a big caloric deficit through diet than it is through exercise. As for exercise, just find something you can enjoy and keep going without beating up your joints (this last part is more important than you may think). If p90x fits that description, then keep it up!

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 07-25-2009 at 11:26 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #290
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

@ Nike : I guess you want to loose weight, right. Stay away from magazines and websites. Use you brain instead.

Follow some rules:

1: Abandon sweets and candy, everything. You simply don´t NEED it !!! That´s the fist step. I eat 4 bars of chocolate a year. When you have managed the year, don´t be slow when it´s christmass time. But: Better forget it.

2: Abandon pork. Since beef is really cheap in the US, there is absolutely no need to buy pork. You can eat 1A bacon, filet ( sometimes ) or the legs - WITHOuT the fat and only once per month. Better forget pork. Yes, better erase the word.

3: If you can afford. Fry FISH as much as you can get. BUT NO PORK ! NO PORK !

4: Quit Sugar. Drink ONLY: TEA, CoFFeE, MINERAL WATER and BEER, Pils-BEer ! !!! If you want to drinks something sweet - don´t even think about it. Otherwise, Enrich cold mineral water with lemon and maybe a spoon of sugar ( one spoon per liter - A TEA SPOON ). Or squeeze lemon in mineral water ( Guys in Luxemburg drink it and they are doing really fine ).
5. No sports
6. NO , NO NO NO NO potatoes !!! No potatoes after 5 pm !!! They spread some insuline around and your body can´t get rid of it during the GAME. So better 2 pounds of fries at noon than 200 g after 6 pm. I recommend: Forget them.
7. Use rice or bread.
8. Quit salt. No SALT. You don´t need salt. Use soy sauce.

9. Chop fresh vegetables, mushrooms.

If you respect those simple things, you´ll jump like JET without loosing life quality !

Ah, and, if you are hungry...you wont´ die. There are billions of people that even can´t imagine how a piece of pork looks like. So don´t be a wimp. If you are hungry, the you stay hungry. Simple as easy. If you feel unsatisfied, pour a bottle of beer. If you stick to the rules, it will be a bonus for you.

10. Safe money : For reg. sized clothes. ... ... ...

Your GD

Last edited by GermanDunk; 07-26-2009 at 12:47 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #291
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
9. Chop fresh vegetables, mushrooms, if you want: Tofu and you can s*** like Kobe.
So this is how I shit like Kobe....

Last edited by bernardos70; 07-26-2009 at 02:01 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #292
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Why no pork? I get you with the bacon thing, but there are plenty of very lean healthy pork options. In fact some options like pork tenderloin are considerably leaner than red meat.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/

Last edited by grbh; 07-26-2009 at 03:29 PM.
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #293
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

^ It´s mainly about fat and cholesterol. It also carries some protein that tends to go to the seed quickly, in comparisson to beef. So pork should only be consumed once or twice a week.

Last edited by GermanDunk; 07-27-2009 at 05:04 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #294
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Bacon is yummy goodness.

Last edited by mcsluggo; 07-31-2009 at 10:17 AM.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote