Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
slowmo

slowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really nice
Angry Richard Jefferson traded to Spurs!

ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4281291
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Good for the Spurs. They get sh!t done.

I don't expect the Mavs to make any real big splash. I hope they do, I just don't think it will happen.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
kingofthesmurfsP

kingofthesmurfsP is on a distinguished road

yea this makes me mad, dallas better do something
kingofthesmurfsP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

f word
Old 06-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
toby451

toby451 will become famous soon enough

So much for that. At least this takes the spurs out of the VC chase.
toby451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

If thats true i will be allready fucking pissed! Thats a lame package that we could have beaten allready with Stack+Williams+#22 and still would have Damp as trade chip.

Maybe our FO is really too dumb for good trades. My dream offseason was Jefferson+Kaman and now Jefferson goes for that to the Spurs...

SG Josh and Terry 24min each
SF Jefferson 34 / Josh 14
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

All they had to trade for him was Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto?

We could have matched that easily. It was a salary dump for the Bucks.

Damn. I would have loved to grab Jefferson.

Last edited by tcat075; 06-23-2009 at 12:55 PM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

We had better stuff than the Spurs. Bowen and Oberte are guaranteed 3,9mio, Stack just 2.

Its so freaking amazing...Kidd and Jefferson played for years, they would connect back blind in like 3 training days...
Old 06-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Around the NBA forum, much?

Damn solid move for the Spurs. RJ fits pretty much perfectly there.

For those ready to cry about the Mavs, hold your tears back. If anger is what's called for that'll be clear enough eventually. Dallas could've easily beaten this offer if they'd wanted to, so the fact that the Spurs got Jefferson is, as I see it, an unmistakable indication that either:

a) they think (or know) that they can get something better, or

b) they're floating around an a cloud of apathy and incompetence.

Why is this a good thing? Because there will be no doubt about which of these two options is correct by the time Stack's status as an instant expirer...expires. The bar has been set.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Recent history suggest your option B is the answer.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #13
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i'll give it to the spurs. their organization doesn't stay attached to anyone not named parker, duncan, or ginobili. the benefit of having an owner that stays out of the basketball side of business is that he doesn't fall in love with players and won't trade them or move them out. enjoy another year of okay regular season success and an early playoff exit.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
sefant77
Guru

How u can think you can do better if a player like Jefferson get dumped for nothing than contracts???

That was perfect 50% of our offseason going down the river.

But i see...we will pack Stack and Damp for Shaq....great...or getting Redd, who sucks more than Jefferson.

And im going for b) too.

Last edited by sefant77; 06-23-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I don't think this is the greatest trade in the world. I know Bowen kinda lost a step, but who do they have to guard Dirk/Howard now? They gave up defense for offense. That's not a Spurs type of move. They're getting desparate.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

What bugs me is Cuban keeps saying he wants a "Gasol" type deal.

Well what the hell do you call this?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #17
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Why can't we make good trades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why can't we make good trades?
Cuban sucks at negotiating. That is why.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Cuban sucks at negotiating. That is why.
To me Cuban seems like the stupid guy from Harold and Kumar 2 that was bald and worked for the CIA. I dont know why, he just gives me that vibe.

Though, does this make us from runners for Carter since the Spurs are outta the picture?

Quote:
Old 06-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

FML

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Around the NBA forum, much?

Damn solid move for the Spurs. RJ fits pretty much perfectly there.

For those ready to cry about the Mavs, hold your tears back. If anger is what's called for that'll be clear enough eventually. Dallas could've easily beaten this offer if they'd wanted to, so the fact that the Spurs got Jefferson is, as I see it, an unmistakable indication that either:

a) they think (or know) that they can get something better, or

b) they're floating around an a cloud of apathy and incompetence.

Why is this a good thing? Because there will be no doubt about which of these two options is correct by the time Stack's status as an instant expirer...expires. The bar has been set.
Or c) Cuban's claims on the radio last week about only being willing to take on salary for an all star caliber player were truthful, and they've set that bar above the Richard Jefferson level.

And I find the idea that Stack is going to fetch something better than Jefferson very optimistic.

I'm incredibly pessimistic at this point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
I don't think this is the greatest trade in the world. I know Bowen kinda lost a step, but who do they have to guard Dirk/Howard now? They gave up defense for offense. That's not a Spurs type of move. They're getting desparate.
Umm...Richard Jefferson is NOT poor defender, and I would argue that he's a better and more flexible defender than Bowen at this point. Bowen is absolutely done.

Besides, there's a 99.9% chance Bowen is cut by Milwaukee at which point the Spurs can just add him back.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 06-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
Bowen & Oberto contracts are only partially guaranteed. Milwaukee is going to cut them both to save even more money. Speculation is that Bowen will end up back in SA, perhaps Oberto too.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #24
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, this trade was insurance against Ginobili moving, since he is in his last year.

They are retooling, and what they lost wasn't extensive, but they are still a big short. They still need more shooting, and they need health from older players.

I think their defense is weakened as well. I am not sure it is as good a deal as some here have made it out to be. It is a good deal for them, I am just not sure it is that GREAT of a deal.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
IMO, this trade was insurance against Ginobili moving, since he is in his last year.

They are retooling, and what they lost wasn't extensive, but they are still a big short. They still need more shooting, and they need health from older players.

I think their defense is weakened as well. I am not sure it is as good a deal as some here have made it out to be. It is a good deal for them, I am just not sure it is that GREAT of a deal.
Give me a break. They literally gave up nothing of any value to them.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I can't post a lot of the words that come to mind here.

This is...at the least...severely disappointing.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #27
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Bowen and Thomas will be released and will rejoin the Spurs when they are eligible. Ultimately the deal comes out to be Oberto for Jefferson. If that doesn't make you just a little upset, then you are clearly wearing some Cuban/Donnie rose colored goggles.

I'm going to say it right now, they are going to pick up Sheed or Gortat or Zaza with the MLE.

Parker/Hill
Ginobili/Mason/Udoka
Jefferson/Finley/Bowen
Sheed/Bonner
Duncan/Thomas

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #28
Nowitzki4President

I think we have a consensuses here that we all feel like we have been mentally raped here...

Dammit.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #29
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I can't post a lot of the words that come to mind here.

This is...at the least...severely disappointing.
It certainly is a kick in the stomach and took my excitement for the draft to like nil.

And Cleveland will get Shaq.

And the Spurs will get Kaman for Ginobili.

And Mark Cuban will write a blog about it.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #30
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Apparently Bowen and Thomas will be released and will rejoin the Spurs when they are eligible. Ultimately the deal comes out to be Oberto for Jefferson. If that doesn't make you just a little upset, then you are clearly wearing some Cuban/Donnie rose colored goggles.

I'm going to say it right now, they are going to pick up Sheed or Gortat or Zaza with the MLE.

Parker/Hill
Ginobili/Mason/Udoka
Jefferson/Finley/Bowen
Sheed/Bonner
Duncan/Thomas
If they get Sheed....

I don't think the Mavs could make any move this summer that could counter that if they get another decent big like Wallace. That defense would be amazing.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #31
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just waiting for Cuban to say "There just were no good deals out there" or "We asked if Jefferson was available and they said they wanted Josh Howard" or "We like our team, let's give Stack a three year extension because he brings a toughness that we desperately need".
Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #32
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

wow...

Parker
Gino
Jeff
Duncan
??

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #33
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

moderators, i know you will fix this but for one time i will speak my mind:

FCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #34
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post

I'd say it's more insurance against Ginobili getting hurt again. You're right that the Spurs still need a big. This deal in and of itself is great, but if they don't fill their other gaping hole for a guy to put next to Duncan then it doesn't matter. The Spurs had two glaring needs to address this offseason and they've taken care of one.

I'm not worried about the Spurs defense. Their D wasn't Spurs caliber this year anyways. Even if there is a dropoff it's going to be more than offset by what Jefferson brings offensively.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #35
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

What are yall talking about when you say that it is not that great of a deal!? Spurs GOT that "Gasol" type trade! Nothing different. They'll likely get back some of the players in return. Pending any other massive team changers like this one, I see the Spurs now as the team to beat with that trade, even with the Lakers considering they may lose a piece of their successes (Odom or Ariza).
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #36
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
I'm just waiting for Cuban to say "There just were no good deals out there" or "We asked if Jefferson was available and they said they wanted Josh Howard" or "We like our team, let's give Stack a three year extension because he brings a toughness that we desperately need".
Yeah I know. Cuban is going to come up with some astronomically bs excuse about how Milwauke's GM wasn't cooperating or something.

Yeah Cuban, cuzzz no one outside of Dallas seems likes you. And they know you'll be dumb enough to give up two first round picks.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #37
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro View Post
I'd say it's more insurance against Ginobili getting hurt again. You're right that the Spurs still need a big. This deal in and of itself is great, but if they don't fill their other gaping hole for a guy to put next to Duncan then it doesn't matter. The Spurs had two glaring needs to address this offseason and they've taken care of one.

I'm not worried about the Spurs defense. Their D wasn't Spurs caliber this year anyways. Even if there is a dropoff it's going to be more than offset by what Jefferson brings offensively.
I agree all the way, except that the dropoff may be larger than expected.

RJ isn't known for defense.
Fin isn't known for defense.
Ginobili is known as a help defender.
Parker isn't known for his defense.

Put Sheed, Camby, Chandler, Kaman, etc beside Duncan though, and IMO, they are championship caliber again.

SA has one chip left needed, and then to remain injury free.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #38
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Here's the truth of the matter:

The world champions, Los Angeles Lakers, are probably quivering at the knees at this Spurs' deal. That's all you need to know. They are just in a different class right now, Dallas is not up there.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #39
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

sometimes you just have to laugh out loud.

But I can't even do that right now. Instead of doing this deal we let a division rival get him and allow that team to get back to championship level talent-wise.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #40
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

If this is not the "Gasol type deal" Cuban referred to earlier this summer, I don't know what is.

Richard Jefferson would have been the perfect complimentary player to Dirk and Howard.

Kidd/Barea
Howard/Terry
Jefferson/Wright
Dirk
Damp

in addition to our MLE to work with as well.

the ONLY way this can be justified is that Dallas already has a bigger deal ready to be signed on draft night.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?

Last edited by TheMaverick; 06-23-2009 at 02:03 PM.
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"because this is dallas", can we fire the fanbase?, fml, nail on the coffin 87, stack for kobe!, this is avery's fault, we like our 8th seed team