Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #81
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...nson_to_bucks/

Detroit trades Amir Johnson to Bucks For Oberto......................where are you donnnnnnnnieeeeeee????????????????????? let go of your c-ck for a sec and pick up the phone

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #82
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...nson_to_bucks/

Detroit trades Amir Johnson to Bucks For Oberto......................where are you donnnnnnnnieeeeeee????????????????????? let go of your c-ck for a sec and pick up the phone
I don't understand why you're getting bent out of shape over these 2 spares - neither of them would help the Mavs...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-23-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #83
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I don't understand why you're getting bent out of shape over these 2 spares - neither of them would help the Mavs...
oh im not mad about the participants in this trade. Im just pissed that our GM and team is being stagnant while everyone is doing some kind of move

The good Ol days : Click

Last edited by quietsavant; 06-23-2009 at 07:24 PM.
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #84
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
oh im not mad about the participants in this trade. Im just pissed that our GM and team is being stagnant while everyone is doing some kind of move
There's only been 3-4 moves in the whole league so far...

Old 06-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #85
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There's only been 3-4 moves in the whole league so far...
And we haven't been in ANY of them.

Checkmate.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #86
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

This instantly puts the Spurs at the top of the Southwest division without having to make another move. They are probably going to try to grab a real center (as opposed to Matt Bonner) as well. Spurs Roster is pretty scary ... Duncan/Parker/Ginobili/Jefferson/Mason - all guys who can go off for 20 points on any given night.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #87
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Sorry to be so simplistic and sarcastic. What i meant to say was the Spurs are our rivals making this, like Artest going to the Rockets for nada last summer, particularly hard to swallow. When OKC drafts Rubio it will become even more depressing. Not all 27 teams want,need,can afford Jefferson. But he's just the kind of player We were looking for- relatively young, athletic, attacks the rim. If there are people out there who haven't lost faith in the Mavs leadership then they don't really follow the sport. That Presti, Morey and Pop are 3 of the shrewdest minds in the NBA and all reside in close proximity makes our "braintrust" seem all the more... underwhelming is a nice way of putting it.
you hit the nail on the coffin. I don't think anyone is going to mistake Cuban to be in their class. I guess the city of Dallas and the Mavericks' fans around the world are getting hit in the mouth with this fact the last couple of years.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #88
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched RC Bufords press conference on the trade.

He said that Holt and Pop have given him the green light to load up the roster. He didn't seem concerned about the LT at all. They won't be afraid to use the MLE either. IMO, sounds like they're going for it now while the window is still open another year or two.

I don't know how many times he mentioned that they're excited about draft day. And that similiar oppoturnities are there for them. It doesn't mean they'll happen but he was just a little too excited about the draft for my liking. Makes me think they have something lined up already.

He could be playing it safe but it doesn't sound like Bowen or Oberto will be back even if they are waived. Mentioned something about Jefferson bringing in a new era.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 AM   #89
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

"you hit the nail on the coffin"

Genius.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #90
Dark Sun

Dark Sun has a spectacular aura aboutDark Sun has a spectacular aura aboutDark Sun has a spectacular aura about

*sigh*
why can't we do a deal like that? When I did read the topic I immediately had a bad feeling in my stomach. Just so sad....
Dark Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #91
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Did anyone notice how 27 other front offices failed this offseason because they didn't sign Richard Jefferson?

(although I would never expect Dallas sports fans to stop feeling entitled...)
Look at those other 27 front offices and see if they've made any solid moves these past 2 or 3 offseasons. This isn't something new for Mavs fans. It seems like there's trades every offseason where we wonder "WTF". Especially deals where the Mavs could've offered a lot more than those teams have given up. Its not about entitlement. Not for me anyway. Its just at times you get the sense that the front office doesn't even try because "they like their team". Once again another year is passing and everyone around the Mavs is getting better. Some teams are just getting better because their getting older like the Jazz, Blazers, OKC and New Orleans.

There's plenty of time for the Mavs to make a deal but I think the biggest fear for some is that the Mavs front office may be overvaluing some of the talent on this team.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #92
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley View Post
Just watched RC Bufords press conference on the trade.

He said that Holt and Pop have given him the green light to load up the roster. He didn't seem concerned about the LT at all. They won't be afraid to use the MLE either. IMO, sounds like they're going for it now while the window is still open another year or two.

I don't know how many times he mentioned that they're excited about draft day. And that similiar oppoturnities are there for them. It doesn't mean they'll happen but he was just a little too excited about the draft for my liking. Makes me think they have something lined up already.

He could be playing it safe but it doesn't sound like Bowen or Oberto will be back even if they are waived. Mentioned something about Jefferson bringing in a new era.
I can't see Bowen being gone. Especially if waived. Could be right. I wonder what's the word on Ginobilli? With Mason and Jefferson that definately makes him expendable. Especially if there's some youth out there.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 AM   #93
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Look at those other 27 front offices and see if they've made any solid moves these past 2 or 3 offseasons. This isn't something new for Mavs fans. It seems like there's trades every offseason where we wonder "WTF". Especially deals where the Mavs could've offered a lot more than those teams have given up. Its not about entitlement. Not for me anyway. Its just at times you get the sense that the front office doesn't even try because "they like their team". Once again another year is passing and everyone around the Mavs is getting better. Some teams are just getting better because their getting older like the Jazz, Blazers, OKC and New Orleans.

There's plenty of time for the Mavs to make a deal but I think the biggest fear for some is that the Mavs front office may be overvaluing some of the talent on this team.
Fear that they overvalue the talent and that they don't really plan to spend any more money or do what it takes to win. Or that they're holding out for the magical 2010. It's becoming evident that some of the confusion regarding the direction/style of the franchise wasn't all Avery. I'm confused just thinking about it all.There have been consecutive summers of essentially standing pat(buckner,eddie jones)followed by the panic trade for Kidd. And then again last summer nothing except for a long overdue coaching change. Oh and Diop. Apathy,apathy, panic,apathy mixed with incompetence. Spurs trade will probably lead to a panic trade for Shaq in which we give up too much. And a strange MLE signing.

Last edited by mac222b; 06-24-2009 at 01:09 AM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:00 AM   #94
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Fear that they overvalue the talent and that they don't really plan to spend any more money or do what it takes to win. Or that they're holding out for the magical 2010. It's becoming evident that some of the confusion regarding the direction/style of the franchise wasn't all Avery. I'm confused just thinking about it all.There have been consecutive summers of essentially standing pat(buckner,eddie jones)followed by the panic trade for Kidd. And then again last summer nothing except for a long overdue coaching change. Oh and Diop. Apathy,apathy, panic,apathy mixed with incompetence. Spurs trade will probably lead to a panic trade for Shaq in which we give up too much. And a strange MLE signing.
How much is too much for Shaq? Because at this point I would think that the Mavs wouldn't be offering anything more than expiring contracts for him. If Josh Howard is involved i'll be livid. But that's my biggest fear. The Mavs see what teams around them in the West are doing and pull another Jason Kidd move out of panic.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:02 AM   #95
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Good god, what a bunch of whiny knee-jerkers we have on this board. RJ would not have been a great fit here. Yeah, it really sucks that the Spurs got him, but please people, please stop bitching about how our whole offseason just went out the window.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-24-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:18 AM   #96
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Patience is a virtue - Love, your everdearest GM, Donnie

Last edited by darkwitzki; 06-24-2009 at 03:18 AM.
darkwitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:33 AM   #97
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Thank you Spiral. Seriously enough is enough. I mean, don't you people ever get tired of complaining about trades and going on about how Cuban sucks? I've been on this board for nearly 7 years. And while i respect the Spurs more than any other team not Dallas, i've seen this happen too many times. Literally EVERYTIME the Spurs do anything, you people act like it's the end of the world. "Oh, the Spurs get Oberto, they're going to groom him to stop Dirk." "Oh, the Spurs won the bidding war for Michael Finley, now we're going to pay for Finley to kill us in the playoffs." "Oh, the Spurs got Nick Van Exel. Just what they need another clutch player to kill us." "Oh, the Spurs just traded for Matt Bonner. They don't need Horry anymore. They're going to kill us." It's upsetting how far this board can have it's nose up the Spurs.

I don't feel they've ever done a single move that puts them over the top. I mean, we're talking about Richard Jefferson. The guy puts up good but not great numbers on average to below average teams. It's not like we're talking about Pau Gasol. On paper this sounds like a good deal, but on paper having Walker/Jamison made us look better. This is a classic Houston Rockets trade.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:41 AM   #98
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwitzki View Post
Patience is a virtue - Love, your everdearest GM, Donnie
Yeah...we've been patient for the past three summers of doing squat.

Oh but Donnie is such a nice guy to get along with and such a jokster when interviewed.

I honestly don't think these are knee-jerk reactions either. Most of the rationals on here have been pretty tired of management's doing for quite a while now. It isn't JUST the RJ deal. It's the same lame excuse after lame excuse.

I was humble and got over the Harris trade. I'm not going to be humble about this. The FO can suck it until they stop acting like gutless monkeys and do their jobs.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-24-2009 at 03:45 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:59 AM   #99
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Without talking in circles, the front office has had reasons for some moves they made. The season before kidd, we did win 67 games. The season before that, we did go to the finals. Yeah, a trade could have sparked the team this year. But in all honesty, i think any trade we make that's not a Gasol-type deal would be too much of a chance. I don't know if there's a trade to be had that would put THIS team over the top. That's why Dallas and they're patient fans would probably be better off loading up for 2010. For the last 9 seasons, this team has pulled off steals or pulled off trades where it's clear we got the better part of the deal, but it hasn't payed off.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #100
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
If this is not the "Gasol type deal" Cuban referred to earlier this summer, I don't know what is.
For everyone in this thread calling this a "Gasol-type" deal for the Spurs, GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK! Gasol is a borderline franchise player. He was the unquestioned best player on a 50-win team and carried his team to several playoff appearances in the Western Conference. RJ is a nice player but he doesn't even come close to being a guy you can build a playoff team around.

Stackhouse for Paul Pierce, THAT would be a "Gasol-type" deal. This is a damn good move for the Spurs but it doesn't even begin to compare the ridiculousness of the steal that was the Gasol trade.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #101
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Good god, what a bunch of whiny knee-jerkers we have on this board. RJ would not have been a great fit here. Yeah, it really sucks that the Spurs got him, but please people, please stop bitching about how our whole offseason just went out the window.
+rep...

Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #102
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
I can't see Bowen being gone. Especially if waived. Could be right. I wonder what's the word on Ginobilli? With Mason and Jefferson that definately makes him expendable. Especially if there's some youth out there.
I'd be shocked if Bowen isn't on the Spurs next year. But the Spurs don't want to fall into the Stackhouse trap so they're putting on a show so that no one thinks anything was pre-arranged.

Allegedly Ginobili is going to be fine. But, you never know. Unless someone comes along and offers the Spurs a PF/C who's damn near all-star caliber I can't see the Spurs moving him. They won't move him just to get some youth on the team. A 32 year old Manu isn't going to land you a young player you can build a franchise around, and without that franchise guy it all falls apart when Duncan can't carry them anymore anyways. So what's the point? The Spurs are looking at a 3 year window and they'll worry about rebuilding then.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #103
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely agree that people are nuts to compare the Jefferson deal to the Gasol deal.

However, downplaying the significance of the Jefferson deal and how it effects us is very naive, in my opinion.

The Bucks and the Wizards were two teams that people thought might be willing to shed salary and give away a good player. Both of those teams are now off the market. And Richard Jefferson makes the Spurs MUCH, MUCH better. So a direct rival has just gotten significantly better.

Also, maybe I'm in the minority but I'd have been perfectly happy to have the Stackhouse chip cashed in for Jefferson, used the MLE on a contributor, re-signed Bass and Kidd and gone to work next season with the knowledge that Josh is probably going to play out of his mind and that Damp is a fantastic trade chip over the next year+.

I have absolutely no expectation that Stack is going to net a better player than Jefferson, and based on Mark's recent comments and the fact that I haven't heard of the Mavs even SNIFFING this Jefferson deal has me very, very concerned that we're about to experience the biggest let down of an offseason in recent history.

So call me a whiner if you want. I am absolutely NOT the guy that over reacts to ever little trade that the Spurs or anyone else does. I'm usually the person on the other side explaining why it wasn't a good fit for the Mavs. But I have a very bad feeling about this offseason right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 06-24-2009 at 08:08 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #104
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I definitely agree that people are nuts to compare the Jefferson deal to the Gasol deal.

However, downplaying the significance of the Jefferson deal and how it effects us is very naive, in my opinion.

The Bucks and the Wizards were two teams that people thought might be willing to shed salary and give away a good player. Both of those teams are now off the market. And Richard Jefferson makes the Spurs MUCH, MUCH better. So a direct rival has just gotten significantly better.

Also, maybe I'm in the minority but I'd have been perfectly happy to have the Stackhouse chip cashed in for Jefferson, used the MLE on a contributor, re-signed Bass and Kidd and gone to work next season with the knowledge that Josh is probably going to play out of his mind and that Damp is a fantastic trade chip over the next year+.

I have absolutely no expectation that Stack is going to net a better player than Jefferson, and based on Mark's recent comments and the fact that I haven't heard of the Mavs even SNIFFING this Jefferson deal has me very, very concerned that we're about to experience the biggest let down of an offseason in recent history.

So call me a whiner if you want. I am absolutely NOT the guy that over reacts to ever little trade that the Spurs or anyone else does. I'm usually the person on the other side explaining why it wasn't a good fit for the Mavs. But I have a very bad feeling about this offseason right now.
The offseason just started. I understand where you're coming from, but I just don't see why everyone is all pissed off at the Mavs FO over this deal, as if RJ was the guy we absolutely needed. Frankly, of all the names that have been tossed around lately, RJ was pretty close to the bottom of that last in terms of how well he would fit. We need a 2, and RJ just isn't a 2 anymore than J-Ho is.

Now it does SUCK that the Spurs got him, for sure. And I agree, they did just get a lot better. However, I'm not in the same boat about how the summer's going to turn out.

Honestly, I'll be a bit surprised if we don't get VC this summer. It's just too obvious not to get done. NJ is eager to move him, he clearly fits all of the Mavs' needs, and I don't think there are any other teams willing to take his contract. It just makes sense. Way more than RJ.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-24-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #105
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Im right there with you jthig on this one.

.. I hope the Clips are motivated to do something is all I gotta say
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #106
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

The Wizards may have been ideal trading partners from a salary perspective, but in terms of players we could get back, I don't think anyone that was traded in these deals could've helped us tremendously.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #107
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

I actually called it a "Gasol-like deal" (no offense... ), yet I didn't mean to compare Jefferson to Gasol or vice versa. However, it's one of those deals where one rival gets significantly better without giving up anything of value. In that sense it could be considered an acquisition that is close to what the Lakers did last year. I could be wrong, but this might be the kind of trade where you look back six months later and think, "Wow, I wish we could have done something like that".

I can understand why you, Thespiralgoeson, would be frustrated at some board members for being a little too fatalistic. Personally, I don't have any interest in judging our trade season before it even started either.

With that said, jthig32 pointed out the reasons why this deal presents a lot of question marks as it relates to our men in charge. Perhaps they'll be able to add other good players and make this a successful offseason. If they didn't, the Jefferson deal would be ideal to base future FO criticism on.

Stack for Jefferson would have been perfectly fine with me. Not only because of his qualities, but also because of the negative effect on the Spurs, one of our toughest opponents.

In addition, we could have (probably successfully) offered Josh for Kaman and have a lineup of Kaman/Dirk/Jefferson/Wright/Kidd. Damp and the MLE would still be there to get two nice contributors.

Last edited by dalger; 06-24-2009 at 08:51 AM.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #108
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

If the summer passes and we get nothing done, then I'll be just as pissed as everyone else, but right now, other than the Spurs getting better, I just don't care. To me RJ is very "meh." Like I said, of the names that have been tossed around so far, RJ was pretty much at the bottom of that list for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
In addition, we could have (probably successfully) offered Josh for Kaman and have a lineup of Kaman/Dirk/Jefferson/Wright/Kidd. Damp and the MLE would still be there to get two nice contributors.
If that were our lineup , I would be pissed. And indeed I will be pissed if Wright is our starting 2 next year.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-24-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #109
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

double post*

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-24-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #110
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro View Post
I'd be shocked if Bowen isn't on the Spurs next year. But the Spurs don't want to fall into the Stackhouse trap so they're putting on a show so that no one thinks anything was pre-arranged.

Allegedly Ginobili is going to be fine. But, you never know. Unless someone comes along and offers the Spurs a PF/C who's damn near all-star caliber I can't see the Spurs moving him. They won't move him just to get some youth on the team. A 32 year old Manu isn't going to land you a young player you can build a franchise around, and without that franchise guy it all falls apart when Duncan can't carry them anymore anyways. So what's the point? The Spurs are looking at a 3 year window and they'll worry about rebuilding then.

I don't trade Ginobilli just for anyone but I think with age and injuries unless he has a all star caliber year which is possible i'd atleast look at some trades out there. His contract is about to expire correct? That's an attractive piece for a team who wants to shed salary yet not tank the season. But i'd probably go to war with the team I have now if i'm the Spurs. They're a big away from being favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
Without talking in circles, the front office has had reasons for some moves they made. The season before kidd, we did win 67 games. The season before that, we did go to the finals. Yeah, a trade could have sparked the team this year. But in all honesty, i think any trade we make that's not a Gasol-type deal would be too much of a chance. I don't know if there's a trade to be had that would put THIS team over the top. That's why Dallas and they're patient fans would probably be better off loading up for 2010. For the last 9 seasons, this team has pulled off steals or pulled off trades where it's clear we got the better part of the deal, but it hasn't payed off.
I'm so sick of hearing about 2010. The only teams worried about 2010 are teams who suck. And no big name free agent is leaving millions on the table to join another team. None. Maybe Chris Bosh and you're even seeing stories about him resigning with the Raptors. This is the perfect time for the Mavs to become buyers because as you can see teams are giving away solid contributors for next to nothing.

Quote:
The Mavs couldn't of used him? Seriously? The Mavs can't use a solid defender who shoots 40% from 3 and attacks the basket? Jefferson on this team would automatically be the second fiddle to Dirk and a legit one. I'm more upset of the potential do nothing off season that's upon us than I am this deal but Jefferson definitely could have helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
Thank you Spiral. Seriously enough is enough. I mean, don't you people ever get tired of complaining about trades and going on about how Cuban sucks? I've been on this board for nearly 7 years. And while i respect the Spurs more than any other team not Dallas, i've seen this happen too many times. Literally EVERYTIME the Spurs do anything, you people act like it's the end of the world. "Oh, the Spurs get Oberto, they're going to groom him to stop Dirk." "Oh, the Spurs won the bidding war for Michael Finley, now we're going to pay for Finley to kill us in the playoffs." "Oh, the Spurs got Nick Van Exel. Just what they need another clutch player to kill us." "Oh, the Spurs just traded for Matt Bonner. They don't need Horry anymore. They're going to kill us." It's upsetting how far this board can have it's nose up the Spurs.

I don't feel they've ever done a single move that puts them over the top. I mean, we're talking about Richard Jefferson. The guy puts up good but not great numbers on average to below average teams. It's not like we're talking about Pau Gasol. On paper this sounds like a good deal, but on paper having Walker/Jamison made us look better. This is a classic Houston Rockets trade.
Wasn't Jefferson the only offensive option for the Bucks? Maybe Sessions? Doesn't that mean with 3 or 4 other options that would make him even BETTER? And i'm not really sure what you mean about a Rockets trade. They traded for Drexler years ago and got a championship. They grabbed Artest for Bobby Jackson and had it not been for a T-Mac and Yao Ming injury who knows what the limit was for that team. I sure as hell give their front office a lot more credit than I give the Mavs.

As far as the Walker and Jamison trades it didn't make us look better on paper when we were starting Dirk and Antoine Walker at the 5 spot. Jamison filled a need. Walker? He added some. I don't see how the Jefferson trade compares.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #111
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
The Mavs couldn't of used him? Seriously? The Mavs can't use a solid defender who shoots 40% from 3 and attacks the basket? Jefferson on this team would automatically be the second fiddle to Dirk and a legit one. I'm more upset of the potential do nothing off season that's upon us than I am this deal but Jefferson definitely could have helped.
I did not say the Mavs couldn't use him. I just don't think they could use him as much as some other players. Jefferson is basically the same player as Howard. And please don't use his 3 pt shooting as a selling point. His shot is very inconsistent.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #112
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
If that were our lineup , I would be pissed. And indeed I will be pissed if Wright is our starting 2 next year.
You don't think that having Kaman/Jefferson is better than having Damp/Josh? Obviously, the FO would still use the MLE to get rid of Wright as our starting SG, or, even better, use Damp's contract now or later to land a very good SG. The aforementioned lineup would be the status quo before any further trades.

The idea behind it is that a lineup of Kaman/Dirk/RJ/Wright/Kidd should have been possible and could have been improved with Damp's contract and the MLE.

It seems that we won't get Kaman or any other center of that calibre for free. As far as shooting guards are concerned, VC would be great. BUT: We would possibly (or even probably) have to give up Josh and Stack to get him. Then we would have to make perfect use of Damp and the MLE to get a center AND a starting small forward.

Kaman/Dirk/RJ/Wright/Kidd + Damp's contract + MLE looks better to me than ?/Dirk/?/VC/Kidd + Damp's contract + MLE.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #113
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
If the summer passes and we get nothing done, then I'll be just as pissed as everyone else, but right now, other than the Spurs getting better, I just don't care. To me RJ is very "meh." Like I said, of the names that have been tossed around so far, RJ was pretty much at the bottom of that list for me.

Why would you be pissed? You can get a 2 guard in here for the mid-level. I don't have faith in the Mavs using their mid-level but the Spurs got Roger Mason for 2.4 million last season. I don't care who's our starting two guard. I don't even care if we don't even address it. But we need to come out of this off season with a slasher regardless if he plays the 2 or the 3 spot. And we sure as hell need a big man. Kaman when healthy is a potential all star in the West. Jefferson is a potential all star in the East. I'm not sure how anyone couldn't be pleased with a off season that would've landed us both. I don't see it getting much better than that this off season or even coming close.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #114
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
You don't think that having Kaman/Jefferson is better than having Damp/Josh
No, I don't. RJ and Josh are completely interchangeable. Where this idea that RJ is a better player than Howard is coming from, I have absolutely no clue.

I want Kaman too, but if Wright is still our starting 2, then no, I don't like that lineup.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #115
dalger
Golden Member

Quote:
Why would you be pissed? You can get a 2 guard in here for the mid-level. I don't have faith in the Mavs using their mid-level but the Spurs got Roger Mason for 2.4 million last season. I don't care who's our starting two guard. I don't even care if we don't even address it. But we need to come out of this off season with a slasher regardless if he plays the 2 or the 3 spot. And we sure as hell need a big man. Kaman when healthy is a potential all star in the West. Jefferson is a potential all star in the East. I'm not sure how anyone couldn't be pleased with a off season that would've landed us both. I don't see it getting much better than that this off season or even coming close.
...yep. Kaman/Jefferson for Howard/Stack really could have been possible. It's not that there are no better players than them, but it's not easy to get them.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #116
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Well now it's too f*cking late isn't it? Dear lord, we missed the Richard Jefferson express to the 2010 finals. I'm going to go kill myself now.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #117
dalger
Golden Member

Quote:
No, I don't. RJ and Josh are completely interchangeable. Where this idea that RJ is a better player than Howard is coming from, I have absolutely no clue.

I want Kaman too, but if Wright is still our starting 2, then no, I don't like that lineup.
If Josh and Jefferson are interchangeable, then you'd still have the benefit of having Kaman instead of Dampier, so it is a better lineup. You'd switch two comparable players in Josh and RJ and then add Kaman for Stack. That sounds alright. Again, do we really have better options?

Last edited by dalger; 06-24-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #118
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
If Josh and Jefferson are interchangeable, then you'd still have the benefit of having Kaman instead of Dampier, so it's still a better lineup. You'd switch two comparable players in Josh and RJ and then add Kaman for Stack. That sounds alright. Again, do we relly have better options?
Even with RJ, I seriously doubt Cubes would've done Kaman/Howard. Howard's contract is such that he's not going to be traded unless it's for a perennial all-star. Kaman doesn't qualify.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-24-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #119
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I did not say the Mavs couldn't use him. I just don't think they could use him as much as some other players. Jefferson is basically the same player as Howard. And please don't use his 3 pt shooting as a selling point. His shot is very inconsistent.
Maybe I misunderstood you but you said that Jefferson wouldn't have been a fit here. Who's shot isn't inconsistent in the NBA? No one shoots over 50% from mid range or 3 point land lol. And I do agree that Jefferson isn't much of an upgrade over Josh however the Spurs didn't give up a Josh Howard to obtain Jefferson. They gave up Oberto. Not to mention Jefferson actually shows up in the 4th quarter. And let me say I have no problem with Josh. I just think his time here is done. If we could get another guy in here that's just as good as Josh I think that alone would be an upgrade. Not to mention Jefferson gets to the line 6.3 times a game compared to Dirk's 6.7 and to Josh's 4.2.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #120
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well now it's too f*cking late isn't it? Dear lord, we missed the Richard Jefferson express to the 2010 finals. I'm going to go kill myself now.
Why are you cursing at me? I'm sure this is the same approach the Mavs front office takes. Like I said, i'm not as upset about not getting Jefferson as I am the potential of not doing anything this off season.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 06-24-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Tags
"because this is dallas", can we fire the fanbase?, fml, nail on the coffin 87, stack for kobe!, this is avery's fault, we like our 8th seed team