Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future
Default Lakers have dropped on Dwights list

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...t-howards-list

Quote:
First off, if you’re a Magic fan, stop reading this. You’re only going to get frustrated and angry that the big mean media is once again making up stories about Dwight Howard when he clearly wants to re-sign in Orlando. After all, he said he loves the city! And who says that and then leaves? So you should just stop and go check out StayDwight.com instead. You’ll be happier and I won’t have to feel like a heel for pushing material that clearly could not be more untrue to you which will only worry you. So long, Magic fans!

(They gone? Okay, back to reality.)

It really is possible Howard stays in Orlando, I wasn’t just making that up. The guy’s been there a long time, the Magic have always been aggressive in trying to build around him, and a possible franchise tag could lock him up against his will. But the noise out of Howard’s camp isn’t fabricated, despite what Magic fans may want to believe, and there’s enough of it to buy into the idea there’s something going on, especially when combined with what we know of his personality and branding, which, let’s be honest, portrays an image of a guy who wouldn’t marry the camera, but might give it a promise ring.

The big assumption has been that the Lakers with all their flashbulb opportunities would be where Howard lands, but ESPN’s Ric Bucher said in a chat Friday that doesn’t look like the case at the moment.

Lakers have slipped on Dwight’s list for reasons beyond (Bynum being “untouchable”). I’d rank his preferences in this order: Orlando, Dallas, NJ, Lakers. But for Orlando to keep him, they’re going to have to make some serious deals, ones that I’m really doubtful they can pull off.
via Chat: Chat with Ric Bucher – SportsNation – ESPN.

That second city on the list is going to raise some eyebrows. The Mavericks will have expiring contracts, young talent, draft picks (they’re one of the few teams who haven’t completely mortgaged their long-term prospects to improve), and a market big enough to contain Howard’s ego while putting him next to a Hall of Famer. Obviously how the Mavericks fair in the Finals might affect this decision but that’s an intriguing prospect. The Nets remain an option with Brooklyn on the horizon, despite their continual “Knick-ing” of themselves (defined as “removing all long-term prospects and assets in a fruitless pursuit of immediate and significant improvement”).

The hometown team is still first, just like Toronto and Cleveland were still first on the other’s lists. Dwight’s not either of those players, but he’s also experienced just as much frustration. Derrick Rose winning the MVP over him despite Howard’s very arguable superior season, in a landslide, has to make Howard wonder where the lack of respect is coming from and what role markets played into it.

Howard staying would be the best thing for everyone. He would have an opportunity to man up and be the guy for the franchise, Orlando wouldn’t lose yet another superstar to brighter lights of a bigger city, the tied would be stemmed on the mass migration of stars to the five top markets, and Otis Smith would still have a job. And it could happen.

It just doesn’t feel like it.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

How long does Howard have left on his contract with the Magic?
Old 05-29-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
Lakeshow24

Lakeshow24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
How long does Howard have left on his contract with the Magic?
It's up after the 2012-2013 season, but he has a player option on the final season. Imo this is stupid to say that just because the Lakers lost this year they have slipped on his radar, it's like dude, have you been watching the NBA for the last few years? Obviously I'm a Laker fan and I would be pissed if Howard didn't want to join them but lets be real, even though the Lakers are older, if you have a team with a still very capable Kobe, and he will be for the next few years given his amazing work ethic, Gasol, Odom and Artest along with Howard; I'd like my chances to win a championship with that team even if I'd been to the finals 10 times in a row.

Last edited by Lakeshow24; 05-29-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Lakeshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I am guessing this has more to do with the fact that Howard is not a Mike Brown fan, who is virtually Stan Van Gundy X2. Not to meantion the Lakers don't seem to all have the same plan up stairs, there are a lot of ego's to fill.

Last edited by mavs777; 05-29-2011 at 03:53 AM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Variant

Variant is on a distinguished road

I think this will be the downside of the Mike Brown hiring -- he's gonna give a lot of free agents "pause". Not that he's a bad coach, he's just young (in coaching experience terms) and I could see some of the big name guys the Lakers would have had a great shot at this year waiting to see how things play out next season. If it looks like a couple years of Rudy T style flailing around, the big draw in LA may change from the Lakeshow to the "Blakeshow" in a hurry.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Why in the world would Dwight want to play here 2-3 years from now?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Why in the world would Dwight want to play here 2-3 years from now?
Because Cuban has a commitment to winning, Dirk will still be an all star level player at worst and Texas has no state income taxes. That's my guess. Plus if he got here sooner he'd create one of the best front courts in NBA history.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Howard aside I think it's funny that ppl start to realize that the Mavericks, maybe for the first time since 06/07, didn't make a major trade to improve their roster. Kept their picks, aquired talent (Brewer) and yet still made it to the Finals.

Downside of this possibility is that we would have to part ways with Haywood and Chandler.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Because Cuban has a commitment to winning, Dirk will still be an all star level player at worst and Texas has no state income taxes. That's my guess. Plus if he got here sooner he'd create one of the best front courts in NBA history.
You can't tell me you wouldn't be surprised if Dallas was his NUMBER 1 choice 2-3 years from now with Dirk being 35, no J Kidd and an aging roster.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Howard aside I think it's funny that ppl start to realize that the Mavericks, maybe for the first time since 06/07, didn't make a major trade to improve their roster. Kept their picks, aquired talent (Brewer) and yet still made it to the Finals.

Downside of this possibility is that we would have to part ways with Haywood and Chandler.
I love Chandler as much as the next guy, but exchanging Tyson for Dwight has no downside. Well, other than the fact that Chandler's a good dude, but he knows its all business (if hypothetically everything happened right and we gave up Chandler for Dwight two years from now).
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #11
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
You can't tell me you wouldn't be surprised if Dallas was his NUMBER 1 choice 2-3 years from now with Dirk being 35, no J Kidd and an aging roster.
you can't predict a teams roster in 3 years, with Cubans pockets he will find a way to get talent here even after Dirk retires, just my 2 cents.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Would you trade Chandler and Roddy B, this offseason if it got you Dwight Howard?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Would you trade Chandler and Roddy B, this offseason if it got you Dwight Howard?
Um, yeah.

Would Orlando be interested in Chandler/Roddy, that's the question...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Um, yeah.

Would Orlando be interested in Chandler/Roddy, that's the question...
i dont think so, that is why i think we would have to obtain a player like ellis or martin.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Postponed due to Championship activity this year...topic to be resumed after the finals are over...

apologies for biting early...may we all focus and enjoy this years Finals with hopes of Big Time success for our Beloved Mavs!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote