Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-09-2006, 09:50 PM   #1281
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Jens Lekman - Oh You're So Silent Jens
Islands - Return to the Sea
Man Man - Six Demon Bag
Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche

I've recently come to the realization the Sufjan is probably the best singer/songwriter that I've come across since Elliott Smith (and I mean singer/songwriter as someone who writes and plays all their own music with little/no outside influence or help- in other words, no bands). So, in my mind, I've gone and replaced Smith's stripped down, man-and-his-guitar style and drug/heartbreak-filled lyrics with Sufjan's orchestral, uplifting pop and Christian-inspired lyrics.

So yeah, Sufjan Stevens is disturbingly talented.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #1282
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

yeah.. Sufjan is nuts (that's a good thing)
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:40 AM   #1283
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I've been pimping the Islands CD forever, it's in my top 5 of 2006. Nice choice.

Maybe creeping into the top 5 is the new Decemberists CD, "The Crane Wife." I haven't been a huge Decemberists fan over the course of their career, but this album was fantastic.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #1284
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard a lot of people talking about Sufjan over the past few months. Definitely sounds like something I'd like (I love the singer-songwriter genre). I see that he's put out quite a few albums. Which would you guys recommend as a good starting point? His first album? Or is there one essential Sufjan album out there?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #1285
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

the new single, lithium by evanescence.. I love Amy Lees voice especially how she has changed it for the new cd. Haunting.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 10-10-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #1286
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

BBL,

Illinois is probably as good a starting point as any.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #1287
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
the new single, lithium by evanescence.. I love Amy Lees voice especially how she has changed it for the new cd. Haunting.
You know, I saw them live once and was very disappointed. There was no one playing the F'ing piano, and her stage presence was not very well developed. That was a few years back, maybe they're better now.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #1288
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
You know, I saw them live once and was very disappointed. There was no one playing the F'ing piano, and her stage presence was not very well developed. That was a few years back, maybe they're better now.
i would imagine they still suck live. Her voice just isnt the same without great acoustics and computers plus she doesnt play piano much at her live shows which is one of their defining traits. Still sound good on a cd though.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #1289
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"Time After Time" Chet Baker... one of the sweetest voices of all time...

does anyone here know Chet Baker?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #1290
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, chaffy.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #1291
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I've heard a lot of people talking about Sufjan over the past few months. Definitely sounds like something I'd like (I love the singer-songwriter genre). I see that he's put out quite a few albums. Which would you guys recommend as a good starting point? His first album? Or is there one essential Sufjan album out there?
Get Illinois first. Find a day when you have a few hours to do nothing, sit back, and listen to the entire cd all the way through. It will be worth it, trust me.

Then go get Michigan.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #1292
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'd say if you want to have the full Sufjan experience (with orchestra and choir), go ahead and pick up Illinois. If you'd rather start on something a little more stripped down, try Seven Swans.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #1293
untitled
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
I've been pimping the Islands CD forever, it's in my top 5 of 2006. Nice choice.

Maybe creeping into the top 5 is the new Decemberists CD, "The Crane Wife." I haven't been a huge Decemberists fan over the course of their career, but this album was fantastic.
Yeah - I LOVED the Unicorns album and "Return to Sea" is getting there. Glad to hear the new Decemberists album is quality- I initially bought "Her Majesty" and loved it, but their sound had gotten a little stale by the time I picked up their other albums. "The Crane Wife" is their major league debut, right?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:37 AM   #1294
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

I was under the impression that "Picaresque" was their major-label debut, but some quick research shows that you were right, "The Crane Wife" is their first appearance on Capitol Records.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #1295
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The Red Jump Suit Apparatus - Don't You Fake It.

I'm digging this. Really enjoyed the single on the radio, I deem the cd worth it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #1296
Five-ofan
Guru

I went back to the verve pipe. They really were one of the best bands of the 90s.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #1297
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

DangerMouse mixtape from 1999
The Killers - Sam's Town

Old 10-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #1298
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ah, verve pipe. "Freshmen" was released when i was a freshman in college. let's just say that was a pretty popular song with all of us.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #1299
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
ah, verve pipe. "Freshmen" was released when i was a freshman in college. let's just say that was a pretty popular song with all of us.
yeah. The cd im listening to is a mix. Its got mostly songs from that cd but it has colorful too. I love colorful. not as much as freshmen but it was a great song. Its also the song wahlberg sings at the end of Rock star.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #1300
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I finally got around to listening to Sam's Town by the Killers.

Pretty good. Not quite on the level of the first album, but that was one hell of an album to follow.

Thumbs up.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-12-2006 at 08:31 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:15 AM   #1301
Five-ofan
Guru

stabbing westward.

Save Yourself is good.

Edit-What do i have to do is pretty darn good too. If you like industrial music, you should like these guys. If you have seen the commercials for the covenant, Save yourself is the song.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 10-12-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #1302
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Killers - Sam's Town

I was a HUGE killers fan...back before the radio had even heard of them. Those who've mentioned the difference between ST and HS are correct. But man..i freakin' LOVE this CD. The first time through I only liked 3 songs. Now...like them all.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #1303
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

so much dj tiesto

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #1304
Five-ofan
Guru

With all the surfjan Stevens talk i decided to listen to as much as I could on the internet. I really like it quite awesome. He reminds me alot of Elliot Smith who is flat out awesome.

BTW just random I was listening to Snow Patrol today and I noticed that they mention SurfJan stevens in the song Hands Open. Im a big fan of Randomness so I figured I would mention that.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #1305
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:08 PM   #1306
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
BTW just random I was listening to Snow Patrol today and I noticed that they mention SurfJan stevens in the song Hands Open. Im a big fan of Randomness so I figured I would mention that.
I noticed that EXACT same thing Friday afternoon.

Sufjan is a badass. Illinois was freakin' fantastic. Suprisingly, I like The Fray. I'm calling it a guilty pleasure. The new Snow Patrol is pretty good too, though.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #1307
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ha ha, 5-0, that's actually one of the first times i ever heard of sufjan stevens, was in that Snow Patrol song. surprised i've missed the boat on sufjan this long.

final straw is a great snow patrol cd, too (better than their new one, IMO). had that way before they became the hip soundtrack fodder they are now.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-16-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #1308
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Smashing Pumpkins - Rotten Apples: Greatest Hits

Ava Adore.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #1309
fluid.forty.one

My friend just bought this 90's cover cd, and Bedlight for Blueeyes does the COOLEST version of Third Eye Blind's "Jumper"
Old 10-24-2006, 12:17 AM   #1310
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Tom Waits - Orphans
Ben Folds - Supersunnyspeedgraphic
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde
Jackie Brown OST
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street (wow...what an unreal album.)

Last edited by SaltwaterChaffy; 10-24-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:23 AM   #1311
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Stellar Kart- All Gas. No Brake.
Stellar Kart- We Can't Stand Sitting Down

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:25 AM   #1312
Five-ofan
Guru

The art of Noise-just a random mix of all of their work.

anyone else listen to them?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #1313
untitled
Golden Member

Edan - Beauty and the Beat
Feist - Let it Die
M. Ward - Transfiguration of Vincent
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
centro-matic - Redo the Stacks
The Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage: Animation Music
Old 10-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #1314
fluid.forty.one

Amos Lee - Supply and Demand (The whole cd)

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 10-24-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #1315
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Jeff Beck...

Any suggestions? I love these kinds of listen. Open to anyones suggestion as I really love music and want to expand my already ultraexpanded musical interests.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #1316
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

a band called luxury...find their self titled album and be amazed.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-25-2006, 12:45 AM   #1317
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Thanks Sike

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:06 AM   #1318
sike
The Preacha

you bet

Old 10-25-2006, 01:34 AM   #1319
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Love the Feist album.

I just got back from seeing Broken Social Scene at the Gypsy Tea Room. Unfortunately, she wasn't there, but it was still an awesome show.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #1320
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm angry, so I'm bringing this thread up.

Lamb of God - Sacrament

Killswitch Engage - All sorts

Tags
<clutch tagging>, got a bit fluffy in here