Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-26-2002, 06:23 PM   #41
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Those of you that think I am crazy:

How much money would you put on the Mavs beating the Lakers in the playoffs right now?? How confident would you be??
>>

This actually defines where your wrong Nellie. I wouldn't put any money on the Mavs beating the Lakers in the playoffs because I consider the Lakers the favorites to win the championship until someone knocks them off. But being a contender only means the team is one of several withh an honest chance to win the championship--not that they are the team most likely to do so.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2002, 06:26 PM   #42
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

exactly, contender isn't winner.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 06:48 PM   #43
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<<

<< Those of you that think I am crazy:

How much money would you put on the Mavs beating the Lakers in the playoffs right now?? How confident would you be??
>>

This actually defines where your wrong Nellie. I wouldn't put any money on the Mavs beating the Lakers in the playoffs because I consider the Lakers the favorites to win the championship until someone knocks them off. But being a contender only means the team is one of several withh an honest chance to win the championship--not that they are the team most likely to do so.
>>

It depends on the odds.. So you would bet me 100 dollars to my 1 that the mavericks couldn't win it?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 07:17 PM   #44
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

how about this trade
Lakers trade Refs favertism

Did everyone forget about game 6
the Kings would be champs if not for refs, and choking in game 7
So the true contenders are in order

LA and SAC
Dal and SA

that's it I still believe with Raef here all year, we step up into the first teir, and if Lewis signs we are defently equal to LA and SAC

Essientally we lost to the true champs last year.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:34 PM   #45
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

i don't think it's a huge risk for Lewis to sign here
He can get insurance, in case he gets hurt( ala Ricky Williams at UT)
and unless he breaks his neck, Cube'll pay him
Old 07-26-2002, 08:07 PM   #46
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

<< [i]how about this trade
Lakers trade Refs favertism

Did everyone forget about game 6
the Kings would be champs if not for refs, and choking in game 7
So the true contenders are in order

<< [i]

exactly they dont ever call anything on Shaq. He can do waht ever he wants and the refs don pay any attention to it.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 09:32 PM   #47
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

uhmm... shaq gets his share of fouls called for him....and there's more than enough times where he's fouled and it's not called.

sure, the kings were screwed in a game..but the lakers were screwed the game before that.

bottom line, the kings had a chance to win the series but choked down the stretch of several of the games
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 09:35 PM   #48
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

So that says that if we are close to sacremento (which I think we are) then we are certainly close to la and therefore a contender for the title, right murph??
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 09:36 PM   #49
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

<< I am sticking with the apparently unheard of opinion around here that we have to prove something on the court >>

just some advice.. pay a little bit of attention and maybe you'd read a few things from time to time.

you're griping about people being &quot;homers&quot; is getting rather tiresome.

I don't hear alot of people on this board claiming that the mavs are going to win the title next year or anything like that..sure there might be a couple members but pay a little attention and you'd see that this isn't a board full of a bunch of &quot;homers&quot;. i'd be willing to say that this board has more educated basketball members than anywhere you've posted.

just my HSO.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:38 PM   #50
Murphy3
Guru

dude, yeah..i think we're a top 4 team in the NBA and have a shot at the title next year.. i think the opportunity for the mavs to win a title would be greatly increased if they could add a little inside muscle..but as the team is... they are one of the top 4 contenders for the title

i think the mavs are as talented as the kings but still a bit behind them as far as winning a series.. and behind the lakers as well..
Old 07-26-2002, 10:10 PM   #51
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Nellie - i couldnt respond to your messages any earlier, but take a close look at this:

8-10 in playoffs is a fact.

&quot;we are not contenders because we are 8-10 in playoffs&quot; is NOT a fact.

8-10 in playoffs is a fact.

&quot;those numbers don´t fit for a title contender&quot; is NOT a fact.

I could give you loads of statistics to go into detail, but you would stil miss the overall point. Let´s try to go to some more abstract thing, maybe it´s becoming clearer than.

&quot;This is ONE apple. It is green.&quot;

If you leave behind problems that may occur with those statements from a philosophical point of view, those are facts.

&quot;This apple isnt suited for becoming a meal! [because it is green, and all green apples are sour, so they are not suited for becomig a meal]&quot;

THIS IS NO FACT.

This is just an opinion. Assumption. Interpretation.

Opinions, assumptions, interpretations NEVER become facts only by bringing in stats to support them. They STILL remain opinions, based on the point of view.

Since been called a Homer, there´s some truth in the line:

&quot;You can prove any thing that is even remotely true by statistics. 14% of the people know that.&quot;

It is no problem to backup Opinions with facts (you´ll always find facts favouring ANY opinion btw), and we tend to pick the opinion which can claim the most or the most obvious facts to its support, but STILL this opinion will NEVER become a fact.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:11 AM   #52
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

If we cant get Rashard i say we go get Harpring.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:14 AM   #53
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Have patience. It ain't over till the fat lady sings and she isn't even warming up yet.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:14 AM   #54
Just211
Platinum Member

Harpring- maybe, wasn't he a real good shooter at GT? Maybe Philly just wasn't good for him, ya think in Dallas it might be contagous
Old 07-29-2002, 09:34 AM   #55
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< I don't hear alot of people on this board claiming that the mavs are going to win the title next year or anything like that..sure there might be a couple members but pay a little attention and you'd see that this isn't a board full of a bunch of &quot;homers&quot;. i'd be willing to say that this board has more educated basketball members than anywhere you've posted >>

I'm not intending to open this can of worms again but I want to respond to this comment and make something clear. I do respect everybody here and I do think that most people are very well-educated basketball fans. In fact, because we all know a thing or two, heated debates like this are going to happen often because that is the nature of things. I am a realist, being a Mavs fan through the 90s you have to be. My &quot;homer&quot; comment may have been misunderstood and I can admit that it might have been a bad choice of vocabulary on my part. I was not intending to insult anybody here with this thread, question fan loyalty, or how good the Mavs are. I don't need to be convinced that the Mavs are good because I already know. I don't need to be convinced that the fans here are loyal and educated because I already know. I was merely debating the word &quot;contender&quot; and what it actualy means. I have a different definition than most here and we all will just have to agree to disagree on that. But I want to make it clear that I respect everybody here and was not trying to insult the site.

That's it, moving on...
Old 07-30-2002, 05:39 PM   #56
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Looking at the CBA faq, we can offer 3 years at the mid-level with a player otion for a 4th. >>

Dooby - I don't doubt your information but how did the Mavs sign Esch to a 6 year, $20 million contract? We used our exception to get him.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 06:11 PM   #57
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<<

<< Looking at the CBA faq, we can offer 3 years at the mid-level with a player otion for a 4th. >>

Dooby - I don't doubt your information but how did the Mavs sign Esch to a 6 year, $20 million contract? We used our exception to get him.
>>

What I meant was this: Instead of offering Lewis $15M over three to secure his bird rights, we could offer Lewis $20M over four years with the fourth year being at his option. Effectively, that would be guaranteeing four years rather than three.

It was simply my attempt to find a way to guarantee Lewis more money.

Pursuant to the CBA, a team may sign a mid-level exception contract for up to six years. But the CBA also says that a contract may have a option in the final year. Since three years are required for bird rights; I was trying to come up with a way to guarantee Lewis more money or more years while allowing Lewis and the Mavs to sign a bigger deal after the requisite three years.

I did not mean to imply that the longest a deal under the mid-level exception could be was three or four years. It is in fact six years.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 06:14 PM   #58
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

So we could offer him a higher dollar contract for 6 years. That's his guaranteed money in case of injury, etc. He gets to opt out of his contract after three years to get max-type money.

Win-win situation.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 06:19 PM   #59
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< So we could offer him a higher dollar contract for 6 years. That's his guaranteed money in case of injury, etc. He gets to opt out of his contract after three years to get max-type money.

Win-win situation.
>>

What Dooby is saying is that the *final* year of the contract can be an option. We can't offer him a 6 year contract with the last 3 years as an option--the closest would be 6 year contract with the sixth year as an option. That wouldn't work for Lewis because it will lock him into the mid-level for at least 5 years. Yes its more security but its to the point of having to wait 2 extra years (after already waiting 3 to get his bird rights) before cashing in.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote