Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-26-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Shopping for cell phone plans...

I'm on a T-Mobile family plan right now & the contract's about to run out. I want a new phone but I need to keep my number (have like 14 million job applications floating around w/that number), so I'll probably have to switch from T-Mobile.

So question. It looks like Verizon has the best family plans outside of T-Mobile. Anyone have Verizon? How's the service/reception in Dallas area? I don't really understand what this whole "In network" thing is, does that affect their coverage?

Regarding other brands, i.e. Cingular, Nextel, etc, how does everyone like their service?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Shopping for cell phone plans...

Help, anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Shopping for cell phone plans...

I've been recently searching for a new plan to get far, far and away from sprint. I narrowed my search to either Verizon or Alltel. My sister has Verizon, and said they have good reception.

I didn't like what Cingular and Nextel had to offer. But i want a Blackberry or Palmone. If you're looking for a regular phone, you might want to try them. Just don't go to sprint.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

This won't help, but I am pretty pleased with my AT&T plan (now cingular)...I got it during a "price war" a few years ago: $99 for unlimited calls.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
Jbrjo

Jbrjo will become famous soon enough

Ive had no problems with Verizons reception out here in Arlington and Dallas. And I do tend to get better reception than folks with Cingular and the such inside buildings. (I'm not sure if thats because my phone is better though) Do the other Verizon users have to be in the same area as you to be In? I cant remember [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Jbrjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

If you want great reception nearly everywhere inside the AAC then go with Nextel. Cingular may be a good choice soon too. Sprint is okay, but I never get a good signal on the Event level.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
Jbrjo

Ive gotten good reception (with verizon) literally everywhere at the aac too though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] (even downstairs near locker rooms and etc)
Old 06-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

I would rate the reception in Dallas as follows:

1. Cingular/ATTWireless
2. Verizon (phones suck though)
3. Nextel (phone suck, again!)
4. T-Mobile (Best phones, imho)
500. Sprint
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
ames7
Diamond Member

Thanks for the input guys. When you say the phones suck for Verizon & Nextel, what do you mean? The battery? The Verizon ones I've been looking at seem comparable to T-Mobile, but then I'm only looking online.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #10
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

VZ and Nextel phones looked like cheap plastic toys when I was shopping a year ago; I guess they'e upgraded their lines now.

Battery-wise, Sony Erricson phones seem to have the best life.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:22 AM   #11
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Yeah, my sister's on her 3rd phone in one year with Verizon. I'm eventually going to go there, but that's why i want an expensive phone not made by Verizon.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:26 PM   #12
Jbrjo

That's so weird..Ive had my phone a little over a year and it's been great. I have had some major problems with the charger cords though. The phone before the one I have now lasted 3 years and although it was a little dated (it was free) it got better reception than even my new one.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:31 PM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't get the Tmobile Sidekick II, i've had it for over half a year now and I regret buying it.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:34 PM   #14
vjz

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
Just don't get the Tmobile Sidekick II, i've had it for over half a year now and I regret buying it.
Damn, I've actually been thinking of getting a Sidekick for my next phone... can you elaborate?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:03 AM   #15
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I've replaced the phone already because of speakerphone malfunction (didn't work)
I've replaced the phone already because of the lack of protection of the screen and it cracked (flip phones are good because of the protection)

The buttons get overused quickly, I don't know what else to say, the life of the phone isn't very long.
The microphone is not very clear, I have to use my hands free in order for the people on the other line to hear me clearly, because the mic doesn't cancel out noise very well.

I mean, it definitely looks cool with the whole swivel thing, but the coolness factor lasts about a week when you realize that you need a better "phone", not a toy =p

If you want to get a phone, with the same size as a sidekick, I would recommend a PDA, Blackberry type.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote