Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #41
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
I would rather trade Terry for a big, possibly to step in for Damp, instead of bringing in another combo guard to rob minutes from Robo.

Maybe Biedrins (27 over next 3 with option for 36 for 4) or Okafur (50 million over the next 4)? Financially, they'd win but I don't see the personnel need on those two teams as they both have two good smallish points/combo guards. It would be great if we could somehow take Al Jefferson (3 for 45+) as Minny commits to Love. Would need to spice that package up for sure.

A couple guys who are a few million over and are on expiring deals may be an option if the teams are eager for cap room this summer and like Terry. Off the top, I'm thinking Dalembert or Redd if we wanna go small and for shooting.
A theoretical Damp trade, wouldn't he just be released and be able to resign with us? If that is the case, why do need to trade for a big when we can just resign Damp?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #42
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Rockets Fan View Post
A theoretical Damp trade, wouldn't he just be released and be able to resign with us? If that is the case, why do need to trade for a big when we can just resign Damp?
Because Damp sucks.

Honestly, he should be getting Najera-type minutes at this point in his career.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #43
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Because Damp sucks.

Honestly, he should be getting Najera-type minutes at this point in his career.
Agreed. I believe we should have him on the team though - ONLY as a backup...(unless you have another backup center in mind who you'd think would be better then I'm all for it)...
Old 05-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #44
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed. I believe we should have him on the team though - ONLY as a backup...(unless you have another backup center in mind who you'd think would be better then I'm all for it)...
12 MPG sounds about right.

He's only useful in certain match-ups, otherwise he shouldn't be on the floor.

He'd be great insurance in case of injury though - easily the best 3rd-string center in the NBA.

EDIT: any interest in signing Shaq on the "cheap" if LeBron leaves Cleveland?

Last edited by Underdog; 05-03-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #45
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
EDIT: any interest in signing Shaq on the "cheap" if LeBron leaves Cleveland?
If he wants to come here then definitely. It could help in matching up against certain teams. The only concern with him is pick and roll defense. But overall, I would like it...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #46
Underdog

Quote:
If he wants to come here then definitely. It could help in matching up against certain teams. The only concern with him is pick and roll defense. But overall, I would like it...
"Shaquille O'Neal talks privately about wanting to finish his career in Dallas. Our guys have heard it straight from Superman's mouth for the last two years. Now that we're at the point where it's not max-money talk anymore, it seems a more credible possibility than ever." - FISH

Haywood/Shaq/Damp - would that be enough broken pieces to solidify the 5?

Last edited by Underdog; 05-03-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #47
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

As I posted in the Bob Sturm thread in the General forum:

Quote:
Honestly, two words solve this problem [Note: Too many jumpshooters], and nobody wants to hear them.

Corey Maggette.

He averaged almost 8fta per game in a little less than 30mpg. Among league leaders, he's seventh in this category, despite being the only player in the top 25 playing less than 30. In the top 40, only he and Ginobili played less than 30mpg. This dude's contract is scary, I'll admit that, but he's a legit second scoring option, and a FANTASTIC third scoring option, especially if he's coming off the bench and busting the D's asses by getting to the line. I've wanted him on the team since 2003, and I still think he'd be worth every penny if he got us over the top.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #48
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Overall, I like the idea of getting some who can get to the line. I am not that familiar with his game (haven't had the chance to watch him). So I have some questions about him,

1. Is he the ball-hog type?
2. How is his defence?
3. Does he have injury concerns?
4. Who would we have to give up to get him? Is it still worth it?

Last edited by Mavericks Rockets Fan; 05-03-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Mavericks Rockets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #49
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Overall, I like the idea of getting some who can get to the line. I am not that familiar with his game (haven't had the chance to watch him). So I have some questions about him,

1. Is he the ball-hog type?
2. How is his defence?
3. Does he have injury concerns?
4. Who would we have to give up to get him? Is it still worth it?
1.) He's a ballhog in the sense that he'd be a fantastic fit for the second unit and good at crunch time because he's fearless and relentlessly in attack-mode. But I don't think he's any more of a ballstopper than Butler. Difference is he'll be scoring more efficiently.
2.) His D isn't good, to be really honest. But he's a fantastic rebounder for his size and position.
3.) He's had injuries in the past, but played 70 games this year. For his career he averages about 65 games per season. I could probably live with that if he stays productive for the next couple of years.
4.) I bet Butler would get it done... or the DUST chip if we determine we can't get LeBron/Wade/Bosh etc.

He has a few question marks... but I think his strengths greatly outweigh his weaknesses.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #50
Underdog

Something along the lines of DUST/filler for Maggette/Biedrins would be an excellent backup plan to SammySuperstar...

Kidd
Maggette
Butler
Dirk
Haywood

Marion, Roddy, Biedrins, JET off the bench...

Last edited by Underdog; 05-03-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #51
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Something along the lines of DUST/filler for Maggette/Biedrins would be an excellent backup plan to SammySuperstar...

Kidd
Maggette
Butler
Dirk
Haywood

That's a VERY solid team on offense. When Roddy subs in, it makes the offense a little more efficient because he can space the floor better than Kidd and we would have 3 players capable of slashing on the perimeter.

Unfortunately, I don't think we would fair any better on defense.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #52
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:

Kidd
Maggette
Butler
Dirk
Haywood

Sigh Marion > Butler, and we need a 2 guard that can shoot
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:10 AM   #53
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Wolves have this year beside their own pick #16 from the Bobcats and #23 from the Jazz.

Would be nice to get one of the late 1st round picks...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #54
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

And Kidd-Maggette is again a backcourt failure...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #55
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Sigh Marion > Butler, and we need a 2 guard that can shoot
I guess you didn't watch that series against San Antonio - with Dirk, Butler and Kidd on the floor, the LAST thing we need is another shooter...

Give me a slasher who can get easy points in the paint, I don't care what position he plays (and we'd still have JET as a shooter at the 2 anyway...)

EDIT: I know I listed Maggette at the starter position, but functionality-wise, he'd be replacing Barea in the lineup (assuming Roddy gets burn at the 1). Tell me that's not a HUGE upgrade.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-04-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #56
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2er View Post
Fixating on a typo just shows your inability to have a reasonable argument. So far, you have shown two things: lack of basketball knowledge esp. as far as wining a title is concerned and your tendency to lose your disgusting temper. You need anger management. Discussing anything with you is pointless.
yeah, my bad. I'm an asshole when I drink.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #57
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I guess you didn't watch that series against San Antonio - with Dirk, Butler and Kidd on the floor, the LAST thing we need is another shooter...

Give me a slasher who can get easy points in the paint, I don't care what position he plays (and we'd still have JET as a shooter at the 2 anyway...)

EDIT: I know I listed Maggette at the starter position, but functionality-wise, he'd be replacing Barea in the lineup (assuming Roddy gets burn at the 1). Tell me that's not a HUGE upgrade.
Cuban has a budget and magette isn't good enough to be sammy superstar I expect butler to be gone... Joe johnson or d wade please
Old 05-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #58
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Cuban has a budget and magette isn't good enough to be sammy superstar I expect butler to be gone... Joe johnson or d wade please
Yeah, Wade & JJ are my top picks too, but this thread is about all 2010 targets, not just the hard-to-get guys...

I'm brainstorming realistic upgrades if/when Plan A and Plan B fall through...

Old 05-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #59
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Boo... history shall judge us by the strength of our dedication to achieving the impossible!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #60
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, Wade & JJ are my top picks too, but this thread is about all 2010 targets, not just the hard-to-get guys...

Well here are others: Amare (butler and Damp chip may do it, there owner is historically cheap I believe and Butler gives em some hope for the future with the ages of Hill, J Rich, and Nash)

As for Maggette and his defense, the Warriors were 5.5 points per 100 possessions worse defensibly when he was on the floor no thank you. Id rather have Deng, Salmons, Igiodola rather than Maggette
Old 05-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #61
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

It would be nice to have a veteran SG who we know for a fact won't disappear once the playoffs roll around, but it doesn't look like any are available.

Our best shots at a veteran SG are: Joe Johnson (easy home run), Kevin Martin (very good scorer), Michael Redd (home run attempt), Stephen Jackson (all-around player), Ben Gordan (for JET), or J.R. Smith (chemistry problems?).

Our best shots at young shooting guards are: Rudy Fernandez (he wants out), C.J. Miles (the Mavs wanted him in the past), or Nick Young (falling off the radar).

I would take any of the young guys plus Johnson, Martin or Smith. The Mavs should definitely be able to pull at least one of these guys this offseason.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.

Last edited by bcrav4; 05-04-2010 at 09:16 PM.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #62
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer View Post
1. Terry, Marion & Stevenson for Deng and Hinrich;
2. Haywood (S&T) for Al Jefferson; and
3. Dampier & No. 1 Draft Choice for David Lee (S&T).

Chicago realizes significant cost savings, and gets back useful players. Minnesota trades Jefferson, who doesn't work with Love for a center that should (may take including someone else to make the numbers work), and New York picks up a No. 1 draft choice at no cost for a player it wasn't going to keep anyway.

Dallas restructures its team:

PG--Kidd, Hinrich, Barea Now Kidd's minutes can be cut to something reasonable
SG--Beaubois, Carroll But most of the minutes go to a 3 guard rotation of
Kidd, Hinrich & Beaubois or going big Deng or Butler
SF--Butler, Deng
PF--Dirk
C--Jefferson, Lee Once again three players split time: Dirk, Lee & Jefferson

Now resign Damp, when he's cut, or Tim Thomas or Najera or a couple of other scrub bigs and Dallas is good to go.

The logic here is that Beaubois needs to play with a relatively big point or combo guard so that he can guard the point on defense and doesn't have primary ball handling responsibilities.

Dirk needs to play with a center who can score. In fact, if Kidd is still playing substantial minutes, then everyone else on the floor needs to be able to score--so no Damp, Haywood or Marion.
I like this...Deng and Hinrich are good defenders and would fill up the platin time at PG SG and SF...and with the new big guys I think we would have a deep well rounded tram
Old 05-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #63
Mavericks Rockets Fan

One problem, why does Haywood agree to go to Minnesota?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #64
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Salmons is supposed to opt out. if Bron, Wade, J.Johnson fall through he might could be had for the MLE. will probably want 4 or 5 years.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #65
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

re-sign Haywood. sign Salmons. Damp and Butler and a 1st rd. pick for Bosh. of course Toronto wouldn't do it w/out Roddy..
Old 05-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #66
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
re-sign Haywood. sign Salmons. Damp and Butler and a 1st rd. pick for Bosh. of course Toronto wouldn't do it w/out Roddy..
Why do we need Bosh if we have Dirk?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #67
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Why do we need Bosh if we have Dirk?
not saying he'd be my 1st choice either. just playing out different scenarios. while i do think Dirk and Bosh do some of the same things, stars win in this league and it would give us two legit top 10 players. if we can get Joe Johnson for less than i'd say do it. but it's entirely possible(probable)we don't get Bron or Wade or JJ. and we all seem to agree Dirk can use another reliable big time scorer.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #68
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

If, for some reason, the Mavs aren't able to turn Damp's contract into a player we want in the offseason--I wonder if any of the teams who are going to be way under the cap anyway could be convinced to help the Mavs. Damp (and some incentive--a 2nd rounder or a million bucks) to, say, the Nets (we seem to have a good trading relationship with them) for a conditional future 2nd rounder (i.e., for nothing). They waive Damp and basically just get a free 2nd round pick. Mavs get a $13MM trade exception to use later in the season.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #69
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
If, for some reason, the Mavs aren't able to turn Damp's contract into a player we want in the offseason--I wonder if any of the teams who are going to be way under the cap anyway could be convinced to help the Mavs. Damp (and some incentive--a 2nd rounder or a million bucks) to, say, the Nets (we seem to have a good trading relationship with them) for a conditional future 2nd rounder (i.e., for nothing). They waive Damp and basically just get a free 2nd round pick. Mavs get a $13MM trade exception to use later in the season.
I think that's a pretty good fall back position. I don't see why any of the Eastern Division teams who aren't in the hunt for a championshiop in the next couple of years wouldn't want to get something for nothing, regardless of whether or not it helped Dallas.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #70
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Mavs mast buy center Kaman or Shaq.Dallas must trade Jason Terry Damp and Caroll.Kaman for Damp,Caroll and Stevenson.Terry for Joe Johnson or Iggy.Haywood and Dirk must stay in Dallas.

PG:Kidd/Beaubois/Barea
SG:Beaubois/Butler/Joe or Iggy
SF:Marion/Butler
PF:Nowitzki/Marion/Najera
C:Haywood/Shaq or Kaman
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote