Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute
Default D-Fence! D-Fence! (thread for stats, trends, etc. for the rest of the season)

This will be the thread for the remainder of the season to track our trends in team defense, which I believe will be one of the most, if not the most, important thing to watch going forward. Many of you (especially some of our int'l members) have been great resources for stats, and I hope you'll continue to post these here.

I'll get it started: fantastic second half against the Raptors (39 points) after a poor first-half in the paint and in transition.

I continue to be very concerned about our ability to impose our will defensively. We're down to 12th in the league in defensive efficiency, not including the Raptors game yet, and 8th in opponent PPG (which isn't awful, but we were in the top five for awhile).

As I stated in January sometime, I remain unconvinced that our defensive slippage from early in the year was solely the result of injuries to TC and Dirk. We've been healthy for awhile now and we're still not nearly at the level we saw early in the year. Does Caron make that much difference? Can we "turn it on" when it matters? Hypothesize away.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Me likely the Roddy/Marion wing combination.

6th time Dallas has held an opponent under 40 in 2nd half.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

A few individual stats, none of which are necessarily particularly meaningful but all of which may be interesting:

-Individually, the player with the best defensive rating is Chandler (102). Beaubois is next at 103, but his sample size is obviously quite small

-The three players with the worst individual defensive ratings are Terry (108), Barea (108), and DSteve (109).

-If you like win-shares (I don't care for them much), Kidd has the highest defensive WS on the team at 2.8. Chandler is second at 2.6. Dirk and Matrix third at 2.2

Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I didn't realize stevenson was such a crappy defender.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta get the opponents FG% back in check. Since Dirk and Tyson both came back 19 games ago, we have allowed teams to shoot 46% over 19 games, and have only held opponents under 40% 3 times. By contrast, we have allowed teams to shoot over 50% 4 times.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the mavs have been playing more man than before. I'm wondering if that is by design? In other words...we practiced the heck out of the zone, got it pretty much down and then went back to man because of 3pt shooting?

Just curious what the reasoning is behind less zone.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I'm sure the mavs have been playing more man than before. I'm wondering if that is by design? In other words...we practiced the heck out of the zone, got it pretty much down and then went back to man because of 3pt shooting?

I had it correlating to Peja's arrival - maybe we're just worried about player familiarity with it? I would have imagined us using a little more to mask his deficiency

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post

The usage of the zone D has been reduced over the past few weeks. I'm pretty sure it was before Peja arrived but I could be wrong. Match-ups can be a factor, but Carlisle knows that teams don't win using the zone as your primary form of defense. They've got to spend a majority of the time working on their man defense.

They can take the dust off of the zone with a few games left and I'm sure it'll be ok.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

I think the zone should be used as a surprise weapon in the playoffs. It'd be grea to throw teams off guard and get easy stops.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
I think the zone should be used as a surprise weapon in the playoffs. It'd be grea to throw teams off guard and get easy stops.
In my opinion, this is how it has to be used if we're to be successful.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
In my opinion, this is how it has to be used if we're to be successful.
Agree. The zone is a great curveball, change of pace gimmick to throw out there. Not something to rely upon, but when used properly it can be very effective.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Yup Caron makes that difference, and Chandler doesn't play like in November/December when he was one of contenders in Defensive player of the year category.
Just count where was our defense placed in January/February if we fell down from 2th to 12th place. We were one of the worst defense teams in last 2 months.
deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamon View Post
Yup Caron makes that difference, and Chandler doesn't play like in November/December when he was one of contenders in Defensive player of the year category.
Just count where was our defense placed in January/February if we fell down from 2th to 12th place. We were one of the worst defense teams in last 2 months.
as long as we keep winning 16 out of 17 games we can be the worst defensive team in the history on the nba for all i care
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

We can win like that in RS, but we should start preparing for PO, where defense in important.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We can win like that in RS, but we should start preparing for PO, where defense in important.
You sound like a broken record...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Re: the zone, it has been a curveball all season long. Even at the height of its usage, the Mavs still played far more man-to-man than zone.

Re: the defensive slippage, the focus seems to have shifted to offensive production, and the rotations reflect that. I would like to see them be a top 5 defensive team, but I don't know if that's possible given the rotations they are throwing out there. That said, the Mavs have around a 10.0 efficiency differential in the last 17 games or so. I'll take that.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

-Caron

+ Peja

= Defensive slippage

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #18
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought you already determined we're doomed in the "PO," why are you still so worried?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
Re: the zone, it has been a curveball all season long. Even at the height of its usage, the Mavs still played far more man-to-man than zone.
You think? It sure seems like, especially at the most meaningful points in the game, the Mavs were playing a lot more zone than man. I have nothing to back that up except my recollection though.

Quote:
Defense is important all the time, broski.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-28-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #20
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You think? It sure seems like, especially at the most meaningful points in the game, the Mavs were playing a lot more zone than man. I have nothing to back that up except my recollection though.
I remember hearing something a couple weeks ago about us leading the league in zone defense, but we only use it about 17% of the time...

That's a lot, but it definitely isn't being employed throughout a majority of the game (although we play a bit of a man-zone, so it's kinda hard to tell when we're using it...)

Last edited by Underdog; 02-28-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #21
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I think LonghornDub was making the point we used to play zone at crucial times of the game. I would agree that that was at one point our go-to defense in the clutch (kinda like Dirk is our go-to guy on offense in clutch time).
Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I remember hearing something a couple weeks ago about us leading the league in zone defense, but we only use it about 17% of the time...

That's a lot, but it definitely isn't being employed throughout a majority of the game (although we play a bit of a man-zone, so it's kinda hard to tell when we're using it...)
12.8 percent, according to Synergy Sports, via this article, linked by yours truly in this thread.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #23
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
12.8 percent, according to Synergy Sports, via this article, linked by yours truly in this thread.
There we go - 12.8% is even less than I thought...

(great find, btw!)

Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #24
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Is the game plan to increase the amount of zone D in the playoffs?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #25
cowdog80

cowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Is the game plan to increase the amount of zone D in the playoffs?
I doubt it. Use it as a curveball (as previously mentioned) to stop runs or just change the look on occasion. But good playoff teams will tear apart a zone the more they see it.
cowdog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #26
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog80 View Post
But good playoff teams will tear apart a zone the more they see it.
Like the '06 Mavs against the Heat.

...dammit.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #27
deamon
Golden Member

Quote:
You sound like a broken record...
Because it's problem still doesn't solved, and we have only 2 months to 2 round.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #28
Underdog

Quote:
Because it's problem still doesn't solved, and we have only 2 months to 2 round.
Good point - I'm sure bitching about it ad nauseum will fix the problem...

(assuming that's what the jumble of words you just typed translates into...)

Last edited by Underdog; 02-28-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #29
deamon
Golden Member

Fix your brain.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #30
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Quote:
Fix your brain.
Uhhh, UD..... Sick burn!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #31
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A few individual stats, none of which are necessarily particularly meaningful but all of which may be interesting:

-Individually, the player with the best defensive rating is Chandler (102). Beaubois is next at 103, but his sample size is obviously quite small

-The three players with the worst individual defensive ratings are Terry (108), Barea (108), and DSteve (109).

-If you like win-shares (I don't care for them much), Kidd has the highest defensive WS on the team at 2.8. Chandler is second at 2.6. Dirk and Matrix third at 2.2
Where'd you get the defensive player rankings? Also surprised to see DSteve doing the worst.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #32
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Where'd you get the defensive player rankings? Also surprised to see DSteve doing the worst.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2011.html
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #33
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
This is the data to which I was referring. Secondly, when I watch them play (which is every game, pretty much), I anecdotally see them play a lot more man defense than zone. I think the fact that they switch a lot, particularly on the perimeter, makes it look like zone when in fact they are playing man-to-man defense.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #34
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

I think it might be possible that it is taking Dirk longer to get back into his Defensive shape. I seem to think that he is not moving as quickly on the rotations as he did before his injury. He does seem to be improving with more time.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #35
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

This thread will head in a positive direction if we get two defensive liabilities out of the starting line up. Once we have a sufficient sample size I'd like to see the Butler + Stevenson SL compared to Peja+ Roddy SL.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #36
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
(assuming that's what the jumble of words you just typed translates into...)
I caught something about tight pants, a pocket, a space rocket, climbing higher, space invading a moon crater, and then splashing back down to Earth.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #37
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Remember when our team used to pride itself on not giving up 30 point quarters this season? Well yeah... not so much anymore.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #38
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

12th in defensive effeciency

we finished 12th last year

1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Orlando
4. Miami (they play worse offense in the east? well their are 4 teams in double digits in offensive effeciency all from the east, 7 of top 8 in offensive effeciency are from the west)

West Contender
7. SA
8. Lakers
12. Dallas
15. Portland
16. OKC

New Orleans is 6th but I don't really see them as a contender
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #39
nowhereman
Diamond Member

We were 9th in defensive rating the year we went to finals, and 3d the year we went to the conference finals (under Don Nelson!?!), hovered near the top the 67 win season, then went down to 18th. Obviously better to be near the top but i think we just have to aim to be in the top 10.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #40
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
12th in defensive effeciency

we finished 12th last year

1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Orlando
4. Miami (they play worse offense in the east? well their are 4 teams in double digits in offensive effeciency all from the east, 7 of top 8 in offensive effeciency are from the west)

West Contender
7. SA
8. Lakers
12. Dallas
15. Portland
16. OKC

New Orleans is 6th but I don't really see them as a contender
You didn't include New York as a contender?