Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #41
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
It's incredible that the Mavs are very much on pace for a 50-win season and this board has been doom-and-gloom for most of the year. Really puts things in perspective.
Eh, not really. It depends on what you mean by "doom and gloom." I don't think anyone here was predicting that the Mavs wouldn't win 50 at the beginning of the season. Nor do I think that 50 wins is that impressive a feat considering how many years in a row the Mavs have done it. We're sort of used to it by now.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 01:43 AM   #42
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Eh, not really. It depends on what you mean by "doom and gloom." I don't think anyone here was predicting that the Mavs wouldn't win 50 at the beginning of the season. Nor do I think that 50 wins is that impressive a feat considering how many years in a row the Mavs have done it. We're sort of used to it by now.
Have you been on the board much at all this season (not a sarcastic question)? "Doom and gloom" is a perfectly accurate depiction of a strong contingent of the folks on this board after half or so of our losses this year.

And, for what it's worth, I disagree that 50 wins is not impressive. It's certainly not the 60+ win Mavericks of yesteryear, but winning 50 games in a tough conference is impressive to me. I don't come to "expect" anything in sports, personally.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:47 AM   #43
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have you been on the board much at all this season (not a sarcastic question)? "Doom and gloom" is a perfectly accurate depiction of a strong contingent of the folks on this board after half or so of our losses this year.

And, for what it's worth, I disagree that 50 wins is not impressive. It's certainly not the 60+ win Mavericks of yesteryear, but winning 50 games in a tough conference is impressive to me. I don't come to "expect" anything in sports, personally.
Be specific. What is "doom and gloom?" That this team isn't very good? That we're not contenders? That we probably won't get out of the first round? Those things are still true. A win against Portland doesn't change that.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 AM   #44
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
Regarding J-Ho

We're 13-7 with J-Ho

And 27-18 without.
I think this is backwards.

Quote:
One ominous stat I find though is that the Mavs have lost by 15+ 9 times this year, and all 9 of those came in games J-ho has played.

So in 20% of the 45 games J-Ho has played, we've lost badly.

In 0% of the 20 games J-Ho hasn't played have we lost badly
As far as I remember, the first @PHX game got out of hand immediately after Howard injured himself and left the game, however that factors in.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 03-12-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #45
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Be specific. What is "doom and gloom?" That this team isn't very good? That we're not contenders? That we probably won't get out of the first round? Those things are still true. A win against Portland doesn't change that.
I don't know how you can say this team "isn't very good." They're in the thick of the West playoff race, less than a game or two behind some teams that are undoubtedly good.

Regardless, no, I'm not referring to folks who say things like, "We aren't a contender." That's fine, whatever. And I didn't say anything about a win over Portland changing anything. I just noted that the Mavs are on pace to win over 50 games; that's a good team. Not an excellent team--not a Lakers, not a Celtics--but a good team. And recognition that the Mavs are a good team is very incongruent with the general attitude that permeates this walls after a tough loss.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 03-12-2009 at 02:09 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #46
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

As long as the Mavs play this way in the first round of the playoffs ... if we play any team other than Los Angeles, San Antonio, Utah, New Orleans, and MAYBE Denver, then we have a respectable chance of making the second round.

Great effort tonight.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:15 AM   #47
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Some "doom and gloom" permeates from the heart break of the past and the standard the Mavs had set 2-3 years ago.

Beloved Mavs had a beautiful year in 2006, until the whistles decided our boys in blue were unworthy of a championship.

And another beautiful year in 2007, until the Warriors hit a bunch of luck ass off balanced halfcourt three's and slayed our season in the 1st round.

Really some peoples' disappointment doesn't stem from this year as much as the past.

The gentle decline the Mavs have faced would be far more tolerable if not for the heartbreaks our boys in blue have endured in the past.

But yes, we're a good team. But considering the past, there's still an empty feeling at times that this team doesn't have a shot to win the elusive ring, the ring that eluded in 2006 not because we weren't good enough, but because the refs decided D-Whistle is worthy of shooting 48 FT's in the final 2 games and 97 for the entire series.

Regardless I still enjoy watching our beloved Mavs, and shall follow them until the ends of time, the ends of the Earth.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 AM   #48
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

This game gives me hope.

It's probably false hope, but almost can't help myself.

They played with so much INTENSITY tonight. There was even a minute in the game where every single player on the floor wasn't completely dialed in.

And they were playing against a team just as determined to beat them as they were to win... and the manned up and held on. The Blazers kept throwing punches and the Mavs kept punching right back. When the Mavs started having trouble scoring... they simply made up for it by tightening the screws on defense to make sure the Blazers didn't score either.

It's hard not to be impressed by this win.

Granted it's not a win against the Lakers, Spurs, or Celtics but the Blazers I'd say are about on the same level as the Mavs (especially with injuries, Mavs miss Howard Blazers miss Fernandez and Greg Oden). It's not just who they beat though, but how they beat them. They did it with constant, consistent intensity. They never let up, they never ran away.

And yeah, they are better without Josh Howard. It doesn't make any sense, even if Howard is a ball stopper... but everything seems to work better. It's as if they become a team when Howard is out, and when Howard is there... there's always the potential that the team could fall apart into a bunch of scared individuals at any moment. The whole team starts to mirror Howard in the 4th quarter.

I think Kidd especially deserves some credit tonight for the way he manned up, and manhandled the Blazers when they tried to play tough defense on him. Loved that play where he was being hasseled so he just put his back to the basket, shoved his defender to the hoop, and did a sweet little layup from close range. He looked energized like I haven't seen in a while. The whole team just looked like it wasn't going to take any crap anymore.

The Blazers were really ALL over them and in the past the Mavs would have just given up right then, but tonight they just ignored them and shoved right past them. Glorious.

Last edited by cinemablend; 03-12-2009 at 02:40 AM.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #49
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

I still can remember vividly, that I would have given anything for the Mavs to have 50 wins in a season. Good game Mavs!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:44 AM   #50
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

I love the recaps that we used to get from last year. Who did we get it from again?

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:22 AM   #51
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah View Post
I love the recaps that we used to get from last year. Who did we get it from again?
You break my heart holmes
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:06 AM   #52
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, man, I wish Kidd would have got that triple double.

Nevertheless...we just beat a WEST CONTENDER on the ROAD on the END OF A BACK TO BACK! That hasn't happened much this season...I wish I would have been able to watch the 4th quarter of this game. Looked like it was good.

Go Mavs!
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #53
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Are we peaking at the perfect time? Much has been made of our struggles against good teams, but in the span of a week we've beaten the Spurs, the Suns, and the Blazers, none of whom are chopped liver.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #54
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
Nobody worried about Barea? Any news?
Unlike George, this team really needs him. Maybe not as a starter, but as back-up PG.
!
I haven't heard any updates; however, JJ has a recurring injury that happens time to time when he runs into someone, or when someone blocks is shot. I think he had a previous injury which causes his shoulder gets slightly dislocated...I would not be surprised if he has surgery on that shoulder during the offseason to strengthen the ligaments.

He usually recovers by the next game.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #55
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemablend View Post
And yeah, they are better without Josh Howard. It doesn't make any sense, even if Howard is a ball stopper... but everything seems to work better. It's as if they become a team when Howard is out, and when Howard is there...
I wouldn't say that we're better off without Josh, but it's remarkable that we're not noticeably worse, if at all. Not even 18 months ago, prior to last year's all-star break and his good buddy Devin being traded, some people around these parts thought that Josh might be ready to take Dirk's place as our #1 option. Dirk had a relatively slow start to the season and missed a few games whereas Josh played better than ever during that period (47 points vs. Utah). Granted a lot of people wouldn't have supported that kind of a switch, but Josh, as far as his perceived importance is concerned, was much closer to being considered a formidable, can't-miss second option than a guy the Mavs can easily replace. Strange.

After last season and until few weeks ago I actually thought that the Mavs should try to get rid of Josh as soon as possible due to him not being reliable at all. Later I changed my mind as I thought that we should try to keep Josh and his solid production and do something with Stack's and Damp's contracts instead. Trading those two, who don't produce compared to Josh, and keeping Howard, whose salary/production ratio is quite nice, looked even more promising to me.

But now I'm thinking again. Maybe we should indeed try to use Stack's, Damp's, AND Josh's contracts this summer to make this team a contender again. Having almost $30 million in desirable expiring contracts is significant, and losing a contributor like Josh along the way might be okay if his great talents don't fit the team.

Last edited by dalger; 03-12-2009 at 07:25 AM.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #56
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

favorite win of the year for me....
Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #57
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's incredible that the Mavs are very much on pace for a 50-win season and this board has been doom-and-gloom for most of the year. Really puts things in perspective.
That's because the Cowboys ingrained a permanent sense of entitlement into Dallas sports fans (baseball aside...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-12-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: because your mother asked me to
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #58
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can't accuse anybody of a lack of effort tonight. Those guys played their hearts out.
This is the kind of addition by subtraction you can expect when Josh Howard is injured...

Last edited by Underdog; 03-12-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: because your grandma asked me to
Old 03-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #59
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
But now I'm thinking again. Maybe we should indeed try to use Stack's, Damp's, AND Josh's contracts this summer to make this team a contender again. Having almost $30 million in desirable expiring contracts is significant, and losing a contributor like Josh along the way might be okay if his great talents don't fit the team.
Everybody take note of this paragraph - this is what we'll be discussing for the next 6 months...

Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #60
dreamteamCP3

dreamteamCP3 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about seating in the arena?

Im looking to make a trip up there and I'm not too sure how the seating is arranged. Row B up top would be 2nd row right? I've never been and i dont want to be stuck on the last row. Can someone confirm this?
dreamteamCP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #61
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamteamCP3 View Post
Im looking to make a trip up there and I'm not too sure how the seating is arranged. Row B up top would be 2nd row right? I've never been and i dont want to be stuck on the last row. Can someone confirm this?
row b would be about 12 rows up. They start aa, bb, cc, dd, etc, then go into a b c d format. However I have sat at the very top and it ain't that bad.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #62
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

50 wins is very impressive and any one that thinks otherwise is crazy. Keeping this streak alive would be an amazing feat and I feel like while we might be on the outside looking in for a championship it will come
Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #63
dreamteamCP3

dreamteamCP3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
row b would be about 12 rows up. They start aa, bb, cc, dd, etc, then go into a b c d format. However I have sat at the very top and it ain't that bad.

thanks man. You know off a good place to buy tickets from? I usually get them through stub hub.
dreamteamCP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #64
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
I love the recaps Ghazi, but can we stop with the "beating a team we are supposed to beat" stuff? Thunder, Wizards, Grizzlies, yes. Those are all teams we are supposed to beat. Portland (who is ahead of us), on the second night of a b2b in which we played hard the night before, on the road, and against a team with something to fight for; I don't call that a game that we are supposed to win.

Which teams AREN'T we supposed to beat? The Lakers and the Celtics? Is that it?

This was a game in which the Mavs had to fight and play some good solid basketball to keep it going, and good on them for doing it. Lets not belittle a GREAT win with "beating a team we are supposed to beat"
Couldn't agree more. Nice recaps, but a little bit more sense of reality is needed though.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #65
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Everybody take note of this paragraph - this is what we'll be discussing for the next 6 months...
Go and tell it Donnie...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #66
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
Go and tell it Donnie...
I'm pretty sure Donnie knows all about the upcoming $30mil in expirings between Josh, Damp and Stack - it's probably been the fallback plan from the get-go...

Last edited by Underdog; 03-12-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #67
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Dirk hit some tough ones," Portland guard Brandon Roy said. "He was just throwing them up and they were going in."
http://www.kptv.com/sports/18914270/detail.html#-

I don't care for his connotation here.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #68
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why the Mavs seem to do better with Howard out is because it forces Dirk into action immediately. The other night againstPhx, Dirk took 10 shots in the first quarter. Last night, he took around 7 in the first quarter.

Carlisle forcefeeds Dirk the ball on EVERY trip down. Dirk is involved in the play all the time. He may not get the ball but he will be setting the screen for Terry, etc. With Howard in the game, there are too many possessions where Dirk and the rest of the team know that Howard aint giving it up so they just stand around. With Dirk, they know hewill probably shoot it, but guys like Kidd, Terry, Dampier also know that if they get open, Dirk will try to find them.

Will that style work in the playoffs? Probably not. But that is why it is important for Dirk to tote the load on offensive possessions. He has to dominate the ball, looking to shoot at every available opportunity...

(Btw, Portland was mugging guys last night in the second half. The Mavs could not buy a call and for them to pull this out. Damn. That was incredible.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #69
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
http://www.kptv.com/sports/18914270/detail.html#-

I don't care for his connotation here.
Just like we threw up three wins against your team this season, Roy. They must have all been wild flukes.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #70
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Boom goes the dynamite! Swept the season series with Portland, suck it. I guess it's quite possible that we could face them in the playoffs so maybe they aren't as confident as some other teams would be against us.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #71
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
The reason why the Mavs seem to do better with Howard out is because it forces Dirk into action immediately. The other night againstPhx, Dirk took 10 shots in the first quarter. Last night, he took around 7 in the first quarter.

Carlisle forcefeeds Dirk the ball on EVERY trip down. Dirk is involved in the play all the time. He may not get the ball but he will be setting the screen for Terry, etc. With Howard in the game, there are too many possessions where Dirk and the rest of the team know that Howard aint giving it up so they just stand around. With Dirk, they know hewill probably shoot it, but guys like Kidd, Terry, Dampier also know that if they get open, Dirk will try to find them.

Will that style work in the playoffs? Probably not. But that is why it is important for Dirk to tote the load on offensive possessions. He has to dominate the ball, looking to shoot at every available opportunity...

(Btw, Portland was mugging guys last night in the second half. The Mavs could not buy a call and for them to pull this out. Damn. That was incredible.
Thats it. but why wouldn't it work. The Mavs wont change what they do when Howard is out there. Which means less shots for Dirk and Jet and I for one dont like that. So like I said I would rather keep him out because I have no hope that he will come back and play any diff. because he wont.

I think Dirk/Jet with other helping can carry us further then when Howards out there because he takes away from both of those guys.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #72
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem that I keep stressing about that is that the guys will eventually get gassed and have nothing left. It's all about the short term or slightly longer for me. Josh is a Maverick as of now, I'm pretty hopeful he won't be in the offseason going into next season. So just let him heal up and come back fully healthy and bring some more energy b/c Dirk and Terry will eventually run out of steam.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #73
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Splendid. Was it an interesting game during 2nd half ?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #74
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

lol, Thespiralgoeson has been the definition of doom and gloom all year.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #75
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Before this game, Portland was 16-2 against teams on the second night of a back-to-back, and 18-1 at home when leading after the first quarter.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #76
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

They also had won 13 games in a row in Portland before their game against the Mavs.

Crazy stat: With last night's win, Dallas is 18-2 against the Blazers in their last 20 games.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #77
sphincs

sphincs will become famous soon enough

Very good win! We leaded all the game and we were really strong! We are playing a good basket and we also defend a lot.
Dirk is simply the best! Dampier and Bass have played well and Terry is always a great scorer!

Now we are nearer to the 7th and 8th spots.
sphincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #78
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The problem that I keep stressing about that is that the guys will eventually get gassed and have nothing left. It's all about the short term or slightly longer for me. Josh is a Maverick as of now, I'm pretty hopeful he won't be in the offseason going into next season. So just let him heal up and come back fully healthy and bring some more energy b/c Dirk and Terry will eventually run out of steam.

Yeah, and this should be easy to see but some folks just don't get it. I would hate to be that shallow about the team I follow religiously.

Axdemxo: You can wish Josh would be kept out of games after he gets back from his injury until you are blue in the face, but unfortunately for you it's just not logical and it's just NOT gonna happen. Maybe the bring him off the bench for a while until he gets fully healthy but it seems that is about all you can realistically ask for.

BGMAverick is right, the team needs him more than you and some others think. You can mask his absence in a few games by exraordinary hustle and heart but in the long run Jet and Dirk can't give this effort night in and night out carrying the team without help.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #79
sphincs

sphincs will become famous soon enough

I note that we are playing very well without Howard...is this only a point of view of mine or not?
What do you think?
sphincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #80
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

What a great win. Probably the best of the season. It was one thing to beat the Suns but its a whole different ball game beating the Blazers on their homecourt. Just a week ago I was wondering whether or not the Mavs would get in the post season. And while I still think we go in as a 8th seed maybe this team can go on a run in the post season. They can't camp it in here though. They need to go into the post season as the hottest team in the league like the Jazz are doing now.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amoral victory, bringbacktheblackstallion, endofstory-cuzisaidso, hella emo, pitching a maverick tent, self-important much?, win = epic doooooooooom, with your mom