Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-17-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
Jbrjo

Jbrjo will become famous soon enough
Default Help me!!!

Hey I was wondering if any of you computer experts out there could help me with my virus problem. (U2?) I thought I had the blaster worm....so I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded the fix there. And it seemed to work for several days, but then it started shutting down again. (RPC thing..) So I downloaded the thing again....and now when I try to open the file it says "The update requires MS03-26 to be installed. Please visit WindowsUpdate.com to download the latest critical updates before installing this package. SO I went to Windowsupdate.com and updated and tried again and It didn't work. And I even went to Norton Antivirus's website and downloaded there fix, but it said that the virus wasnt even on my computer....SO I really have NO clue what to do. Help me please!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Jbrjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Help me!!!

So you are sure it's a virus? What is RPC? If norton can't find it i'm not sure what to do either.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
Jbrjo

Default RE:Help me!!!

That is what it looks like
Old 03-17-2004, 10:21 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm clueless. But if norton doesn't see it then my suspician would be a corrupted windows file. I'd reload the os.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:10 AM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

can you search for a file called msblast on your computer. Do not connect to the internet while searching for this file.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:12 AM   #6
Jbrjo

Yeah I searched for it....it didnt come up with anything. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2004, 01:31 AM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Help me!!!
I thought it was Nelson finally asking for our consulting after the horrible first half of tonight's game.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:52 AM   #8
Jbrjo

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Quote:
Help me!!!
I thought it was Nelson finally asking for our consulting after the horrible first half of tonight's game.
Nah.....wrong forum [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2004, 02:08 AM   #9
Jbrjo

Damnit .....just did it again
Old 03-18-2004, 05:02 AM   #10
Jbrjo

OK I think I might have found the right patch to download...but after I downloaded it and it is running the program, it just shuts down before it can install. I also have the same problem when trying to run a scan with Norton or McAfee Antivirus...the program just shuts down with no warning.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:52 AM   #11
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Quote:
Help me!!!
That's it! We have to download some patches and install it inside the players heads. Their game time setting is terribly flawed...[img]i/expressions/light.gif[/img]

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:44 AM   #12
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

have you been here and done this-----RPC FAQ link

good luck..
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:17 PM   #13
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

You have a nice pic. on your link Jbrjo..............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2004, 12:51 AM   #14
Jbrjo

Thanks Caliente [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2004, 02:11 AM   #15
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jbrjo
OK I think I might have found the right patch to download...but after I downloaded it and it is running the program, it just shuts down before it can install. I also have the same problem when trying to run a scan with Norton or McAfee Antivirus...the program just shuts down with no warning.
Since you have downloaded the file, make sure you are not connected to the internet and my guess is it will install without any issues. After you apply the patch you can connect back to the internet.

Old 03-20-2004, 05:57 PM   #16
Jbrjo

mavsfanforever...I tried your suggestion...didn't work [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I guess I am just going to have to bite the bullet and use the restore disk again
Old 03-21-2004, 12:11 AM   #17
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Jbrjo, first forget about the Microsoft patches. If you´ve allready got the blaster/lovesan virus they don´t really help.

Second, running two different virus scanners on your pc is a bad idea.

If neither Norton nor McAffee did help you I´d suggest going here. It´s a very good german anti virus program (well the link I posted is the english version). The best of it is that it´s free, and that it has a very nice removal routine for Blaster/Lovesan. It not only kills the virus but it also chnages the registry entrys that lovesan has created.

One important advice. Before installing antivir you must uninstall all other antivirus programs from your pc.

If you want to try your luck with one of the two programs that you´ve allready got I´d suggest that you at least uninstall the other one. In case of antivirus tools less is more.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:41 AM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The same thing happened to me a while back. I'm not sure I can help you with eliminating the source of the problem, but I can show you how to keep the PC from rebooting itself every time it happens.

I assume you are running XP, right? Click Start/Run, and run "services.msc."

You will get a list of all the services currently running on your machine. Find "Remote Procedure Call Locator." Right-click it and choose Properties.

When the Properties box opens, click the "Recovery" tab. On the choice that says "First occurence" (or similar), select "Take No Action."

Voila. At least now it won't reboot your machine every time!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 02:44 PM   #19
Jbrjo

Woohoo! I think I got rid of it. I used an online scan from McAfee (since the virus I had would shut down my virus programs) So, I found out I had the Gaobot (or Agabot) worm. And I looked up info on it, and its similar to the Blaster worm. Anyway, I read that I should start my computer in safe mode to run McAfee to get rid of it. (DUH...why didn't I think of something so obvious) So I did it, got rid of it, but I think there are still a few things I will have to do to make sure it is completely gone. SO thanks everyone for trying to help...especially U2. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]