Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #161
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
"It's a different set of circumstances," Carlisle said of playing defense without a rim protector on the floor. "You got to play position (defense). You got to beat people places. A lot of things like that. It's certainly doable, but you got to be on the persistent end of things. You can't hang around. You got to be an initiator, not a reactor."
I think a very strong argument could be made as to whether that is part of our DNA.
He honestly thinks we can do that with the personnel we have?
Think it would be more wise to just have a rim protector on the floor most of the time.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2016, 04:44 PM   #162
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I think a very strong argument could be made as to whether that is part of our DNA.
He honestly thinks we can do that with the personnel we have?
Think it would be more wise to just have a rim protector on the floor most of the time.
We had prime Tyson Chandler the first half of last season before he injured his hip, and yet the team was at the bottom of the league in terms of defense. That's why the Rondo trade was made because of how horrible the perimeter defense was and how Chandler indeed wasn't able to cover up for everyone else.

I'm all for getting Mejri out there and perhaps giving McGee another look, but those two guys aren't going to magically change the issue. From the one to three positions, you basically only have gimpy Harris and gimpy Matthews as your reliable defenders. The ability to upgrade the defense won't be possible until this summer.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #163
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The ability to upgrade the defense won't be possible until this summer.
I'm wondering how much we'll be able to upgrade defense if we bring our core back.
We should sign a solid backup center (who Rick will play) and a 3/4 defender (Aminu/Marion type) assuming we bring back Zaza, DWill and Parsons.

Considering we desperately need to vastly improve bench scoring, that will be a tall order to fill unless there are some decent 2-way bench players out there. Otherwise we'll address defense with vet min guys who will be buried at the end of the bench or in street clothes like they are now.

My guess is that we'll run out of cap space resigning the core and improving bench scoring while compromising any chance to improve defensively.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-24-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #164
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
We had prime Tyson Chandler the first half of last season before he injured his hip, and yet the team was at the bottom of the league in terms of defense. That's why the Rondo trade was made because of how horrible the perimeter defense was and how Chandler indeed wasn't able to cover up for everyone else.

I'm all for getting Mejri out there and perhaps giving McGee another look, but those two guys aren't going to magically change the issue. From the one to three positions, you basically only have gimpy Harris and gimpy Matthews as your reliable defenders. The ability to upgrade the defense won't be possible until this summer.
Ray-Ray has been ok this year but trading him out for a bigger wing would have been ideal. They couldn't get it done this year but it has to be a priority for next season. I would like to see Lee at the four quite a bit. That's where he's needed most. Dirk has to be able to play less minutes and we need to be able to keep from having to play Wes at the three so much. Having Lee gives the Mavs help but RC's plan to play him at 5 is what gave me heartburn. He already has three centers who he hasn't used well.

Mejri should match up well with vs. Adams but Zaza or McGee should be on the floor vs. Kanter. Mejri is just not strong enough to defend against him.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #165
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Ray-Ray has been ok this year but trading him out for a bigger wing would have been ideal. They couldn't get it done this year but it has to be a priority for next season. I would like to see Lee at the four quite a bit. That's where he's needed most. Dirk has to be able to play less minutes and we need to be able to keep from having to play Wes at the three so much. Having Lee gives the Mavs help but RC's plan to play him at 5 is what gave me heartburn. He already has three centers who he hasn't used well.

Mejri should match up well with vs. Adams but Zaza or McGee should be on the floor vs. Kanter. Mejri is just not strong enough to defend against him.
Hopefully growth internally from Anderson and Powell will help with this next season. Anderson is athletic enough that in time with experience he should be a good and versatile wing defender for us. Not sure what the plan is regarding Powell. Do they hope he develop reliable 3-point range or move him? He's not an ideal 5 anyway
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:18 PM   #166
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Hopefully growth internally from Anderson and Powell will help with this next season. Anderson is athletic enough that in time with experience he should be a good and versatile wing defender for us. Not sure what the plan is regarding Powell. Do they hope he develop reliable 3-point range or move him? He's not an ideal 5 anyway
Powell is the ultimate tweener. He should spend most of the off-season working on the 3pt shot and Mavs should give him a good look early next season if he shows any signs of improvement in the summer.
If he is successful then keep him. If he isn't then move him at the deadline.

One thing about Powell is that he hasn't played well enough to receive an Aminu type contract which is what I thought he might do. I think he has the potential but we shouldn't have to overpay him by any means. If I'm not mistaken we have Bird's Rights on him but someone else might verify that.

He could become a great trade asset for us next season if he doesn't pan out to be Dirk's primary backup because there are other systems where he might flourish as more of a traditional style PF.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-24-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #167
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

David Lee played 25 minutes tonight, Zaza only played 8... Lee ended up with Zaza's typical production: a 14/14 double-double.

Is it the system?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-26-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:35 PM   #168
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
David Lee played 25 minutes tonight, Zaza only played 8... Lee ended up with Zaza's typical production: a 14/14 double-double.

Is it the system?
Only one way to find out. #CV3at5
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #169
mxr2000

mxr2000 is a jewel in the roughmxr2000 is a jewel in the roughmxr2000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Is it the system?
We played better with David Lee on the Flour for the Smallball this made me understand why we need Kmart on RC SB system..
mxr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #170
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:

Is it the system?
I'm convinced it is and the reason I'm changing my stance on Dwight Howard.
If guys like Zaza and Lee can put up those types of numbers imagine what Howard would do.

The Mavs could use that as a selling point to him which could very well revitalize his career and bring Mavs back into contention.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #171
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for Dwight Howard. He could put up 15-12 in his sleep here.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #172
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I'm all for Dwight Howard. He could put up 15-12 in his sleep here.
I've been critical of Rick's style of play this year but I'd love that system with Howard here in addition to or instead of Zaza. Love Zaza and want to keep him here if at all possible but Ricks system needs an athletic defensive beast center to man the middle. Chandler and Howard are perfect for Rick's system.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #173
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Howard's going to get $25m from some team. Too many teams with cap space to expect him to take much discount. It's a question of how they value him. Signing Howard would effect depth.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #174
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Howard's going to get $25m from some team. Too many teams with cap space to expect him to take much discount. It's a question of how they value him. Signing Howard would effect depth.
If the last few years have taught me anything, it's that depth doesn't mean squat when your starting 5 has glaring holes in it.

"A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse!" -Richard III... I'd sacrifice anyone (or everyone) on our bench for a legit starting center.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-27-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #175
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Just as it was a few years ago, if Howard wants to come to Dallas, the front office has to welcome him with open arms, flaws and all.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #176
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Just as it was a few years ago, if Howard wants to come to Dallas, the front office has to welcome him with open arms, flaws and all.
Only after Horford turned them down
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:47 AM   #177
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Only after Horford turned them down
I like Horford and his versatility to play both center and PF and he looks like a viable 3pt threat this season for the first time. Impressive that he's added that to his his arsenal at age almost 30. He's at 34% on 176 attempts. Last season, his previous high attempts wise, he had 36 the entire season. His rebounding seems to be trending down...

It'd be tough to turn down such a skilled big man that's also a great locker room guy for the likes of Howard and Hassan- though they probably have bigger upside and might fit better next to Dirk.

I don't see Horford coming here but if he did you could have a nice bigs rotation with Al, Dirk, and guys like Zaza and Meijiri. Powell could be shipped for a pick or cap space if necessary as Dirk and Horford would eat all available PF minutes.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:21 AM   #178
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Yeah right, I highly doubt Dwight is going to consider Dallas. My assumption on summer free agency would be him going to like Boston or some east team.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #179
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Yeah right, I highly doubt Dwight is going to consider Dallas. My assumption on summer free agency would be him going to like Boston or some east team.
@JohnnyNBA: "Dwights people reached out to Dallas to see if they would be interested in a max deal this summer. Dallas said no."
He must have some interest in coming here.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #180
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
@JohnnyNBA: "Dwights people reached out to Dallas to see if they would be interested in a max deal this summer. Dallas said no."
He must have some interest in coming here.
Wasn't this before Dan Fegan got axed?
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #181
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
Wasn't this before Dan Fegan got axed?
Yes, and I imagine that will severely hurt our chances at landing him, but I have to think Dwight told his people to inquire about Dallas' interest in him this summer.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #182
rimrocker
Diamond Member

I don't know that much about Horford but if he's becoming a 3pt shooter he'd probably be more suited as a replacement for Dirk in Rick's system and we'd still need to find that defender/rebounder/rim protector type center.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #183
Underdog

@espn_macmahon: David Lee expressed appreciation to Celtics staffers who helped prepare him to hit the ground running in Dallas by putting him through a boot camp of sorts after he fell out of Boston's rotation. "They challenged me for six weeks to get in the best shape of my life," said Lee, who expected to change teams via trade or a buyout. "I tried to do that." Lee cut his diet to essentially proteins and vegetables and worked out under the supervision of Celtics trainers two or three times per day. He has averaged 13.5 points and 11.5 rebounds during the Mavs' two-game winning streak.