Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #81
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Maybe offensively.

How many times inside of 9 minutes in the 4th did he leave Morris wide ass open for literally no reason for a 3 that was drained as he closed out way late. The last 2 he hit wasn't even drive and kick. It was from one single pass and Dirk was standing around the top of the key. No reason to, no one was remotely threatening to penetrate from a pnr or screen. Rick even glared at him after he had to call a timeout because of it.

Poor defense and rebounding and he's definitely a part of it.
I noticed this too. He was a beat late closing out. I thought he was pretty good on the glass.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #82
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Cuban needs to abandon the fantasy that any superstar would want to come to Dallas to help Old Man Dirk win another ring, and start taking a full rebuild seriously... Because whenever we strike out on those big names, we're stuck with hired guns looking to earn a bigger payday when they move on from Dallas... Mercenary ball just isn't working, and Cuban's plan to retool on the fly has yielded nothing but mediocrity.
I'm almost to the point of hoping we just pay Dirk $20+mil next season to make up all he has sacrificed and fill the team with guys 25 and under to play with him. We develop some youth while Dirk piles up numbers and we set ourselves up for a high lotto pick in 2017.

I know, sounds a lot like the Lakers but Kobe never sacrificed like Dirk has and they are in decent shape to get Simmons in the draft or trade for a budding superstar like Cousins....we have virtually nothing to look forward to.

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-10-2016 at 01:52 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #83
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Rick Carlisle Calls Out Referee For Baiting Deron Williams Into A Technical Foul

Quote:
“For the first time in a 33-year NBA career, I saw a referee make a point of going out of his way and walking into our huddle and baiting one of our guys into getting a technical,” Carlisle said after Wednesday’s 102-96 lossto the Detroit Pistons, which extended the Mavs’ losing streak to a season-worst four games. “I’ve never seen anything like that in my years in this league. I don’t see how that can ever be excusable.”

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #84
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Remember when Joey Crawford was suspended for a bad technical on Duncan? That'll never happen when it happens to the Mavs.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #85
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I just hate that we're playing the worst basketball at the exact wrong time. I'm starting to see signs of players tuning Rick out which is really bad. And the "be ready" approach needs to be altered because frankly it isn't working. I agree that he doesn't have the talent he needs to work with, but he just hasn't been a very good coach this second half of the season. Playing Matthews at SF needs to stop immediately because he isn't excelling there, and it isn't helping the team. And you might as well play the young guys because this team isn't going anywhere. Like seriously, are we just going to let Dwight Powell walk this summer rendering the Rondo trade a 100% failure? Or keep him just to not play him?

Wtf is going on?
Yea, occaisonally he can find some success vs SF's but most times it's not working.

The issue with us ever rebuilding is RC has to learn how to do that. He doesn't give our young guns time consistently so rebuilding isn't his forte. I am sure he is smart enough to be successful at if once he is forced to do so... but that is probably going to take many unlikely things falling into place sooner than later.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #86
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The issue with us ever rebuilding is RC has to learn how to do that. He doesn't give our young guns time consistently so rebuilding isn't his forte. I am sure he is smart enough to be successful at if once he is forced to do so... but that is probably going to take many unlikely things falling into place sooner than later.
Some coaches are good at teaching and developing (Larry Brown) and others are good at managing games. Rick is obviously the latter but doesn't have the right pieces to be at his best. Instead of looking forward to the future he is only concerned about winning each individual game. Can't fault him for that but I don't think he will be suited to coach this team once Dirk is gone.

It's almost the worst case scenario for this team right now because Rick will do whatever it takes to win and has no concern about sacrificing for our future and with Dirk on our team, along with an extremely competitive owner, Rick can only try to do what Rick does best.

I don't think Rick can ever develop players....leopards simply don't change their spots.
I'd love to see what Larry Brown could do (or could have done) with some of our current and recent youth (Powell, Crowder, Wright, Anderson, Aminu, and even Parsons)

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-10-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #87
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yea, occaisonally he can find some success vs SF's but most times it's not working.

Well the flip side is getting the most out of Pachulia and Lee. My issue is that I'm not sure of the future they have with the team. Both will be free agents and could move on. Powell, however, is restricted so there should be a much bigger effort to get him going again. I feel like the team is desperate to have some sort of youth future, and there is little choice but to have faith in Anderson and Powell. And they don't totally suck so why not? We're not pulling out some miracle upset versus GS or SA, so I just don't see what there is to lose.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #88
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

this season is a bummer

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #89
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I feel like the team is desperate to have some sort of youth future, and there is little choice but to have faith in Anderson and Powell. And they don't totally suck so why not? We're not pulling out some miracle upset versus GS or SA, so I just don't see what there is to lose.
Yeah this is all I rly mean when I say I'm upset with the lineups. Simba, Powell, Mejri obviously are not better than What Lee is providing or what the small guards provide. It would just be nice to see a change because I'd like them to gain some traction going into the off season. It would be different if we were winning games. Simba and Mejri especially have been playing well every time the have been given some time in the last month or so and yet barring injury or garbage time they don't even sniff the floor.

--Edit--
Well I also think those guys provide better defense than the players in front of them and hearing RC complain about the defense in nearly every game since the stretch before the ASB I think it's just silly that they get zero burn. I was pretty excited that JA might have some rookie mins because if nothing else he was a pretty good perimeter defender coming out of UVA but RC is favoring the streaky offense of the smalls at the *possible* expense of an athletic young wing with superior defense and energy.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 03-10-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #90
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Well I also think those guys provide better defense than the players in front of them and hearing RC complain about the defense in nearly every game since the stretch before the ASB I think it's just silly that they get zero burn.
It didn't take a genius to know that a rotation of Zaza/Dirk/Lee/Parsons in our frontcourt playing small ball would be devastating to our defense. I'm not sure why RC is so stubborn.
Thank God for Dwayne Casey in 2011 or we probably wouldn't have a championship!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #91
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
It didn't take a genius to know that a rotation of Zaza/Dirk/Lee/Parsons in our frontcourt playing small ball would be devastating to our defense. I'm not sure why RC is so stubborn.
Thank God for Dwayne Casey in 2011 or we probably wouldn't have a championship!
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2016/3/...mavericks-suck

Some good stuff in this podcast.

-Zaza being overused and thus exposed over the last month. Not being able to finishoff some good feeds from Dwill, Parsons. Not being nearly as good as last year as a pick n pop player. Not his fault that he has regressed but he's clearly been overused.

-Parsons disappearing in the 4th. No matter what Parsons has done through the first 3 quarters when it's the 4th quarter Dwill, Felton, and JJ all pound the ball and Parsons stands in the corner and barely touches the ball outside of late clock situations. He averages 2.3 points in the 4th quarter despite how great he has been since getting healthier, which is rly inexcusable.

-Felton and JJ together in lineups has been terrible. Despite having Anderson on the roster we continue to run out extreme small lineups with jj and felton on the floor together.

-Dwill is largely invisible until the 4th in the clutch. Then he and Dirk play pick n Roll and it's up to the 2 of them or one of the guards who are pounding the ball to score, and outside of a bailout shot by CP or Wes that is the entire offense in the 4th.

-D Lee and parsons together are +9 on the floor together since being a mav. Likely because Lee rolls better to the rim much better than Zaza, like many have been saying that Parsons needs a good roll man, the Mavs offense in general needs a roll man.

-The Mavs offense is much better when they get stops, but with the lineups and personnel in general is not getting stops. More of this is because of the personnel than the lineups but as it stands we also don't know because we haven't seen the other guys get a chance with alternate looks.

-Anderson may not be ready but as the lineups are currently constructed things are not working and it's valid to say that the team is not good enough to worry about him not being ready. If Anderson plays the 3 it also gives Parsons more time at the 4 where he has been great. It also takes Wes out of the 3 spot and lowers his minutes.

-Wes should not be having the most mins on the team with this injury, really no excuse for it. We can hope he gets better next year but he is trending down for sure as it is right now. His defense started off pretty ok but has fallen off a cliff. Maybe by the final month of the season he looks better as it will be over 1 year since the injury but it can take 18 months to fully recover so give it till next year to make the final assessment. If Wes is not hitting shots and not defending he should not be on the floor.

-Dirk and Parsons are both playing at a very high level but it's not translating to wins because the rest of the team has fallen off. Whether it's from overusing all these vets or not it still remains that this team has been awful outside of those two.

-Parsons is efficient but doesn't have the ability to just take a man one on one and take a "bad" shot. So while it's nice he is efficient he also can't try to take over because he does not have that skillset. Also noted how it would be nice to see him play with guards who are not so ball pounding heavy relegating him to a bailout spot up shooter. He's very good spotting up but the pg's pound the ball and can't create a good shot for him. JJ has been good this year but felton has been downright awful at it and Dwill has not been as good as hoped in that regard.

-Salah should play when Zaza is laying an egg. We'd rather see Salah(and Anderson) play than see these same vet's that RC is comfortable with when the team is not good as it is anyway. #free Salah

Also a quote from RC-
Quote:
"We had some bad decision making at key times, and with the slim margins of error that we are working with to begin with, we just can’t survive that. Detroit is a good team. They are very strong and physical. They have more athletic guys then us at virtually every position, so we have to play a really solid and efficient game, and we just didn’t quite do it.”
RC acknowledges they are more athletic. These lineups are not working. We do have Salah/McGee as athletic bigs(Salah not as much but he's played very well when given the chance) and we have Anderson who could play some backup 3 mins and give athleticism and some defense.

Again RC knows more than we do and I still want him as coach but if you are going to keep bringing up poor defense and lack of athleticism against every opponent then maybe give one of these guys a look instead of constantly using the same lineups that are just not working. Especially since I'm sure they have the data of lineups and can see things like JJ + Felton at the same time is absolutely terrible.

--Edit--
Worth mentioning that some of these things I have said(probably beaten to death rly) but outside of a few embellishments I made in the notations above most of these comments are not my work so to speak as it came from the podcast so credit goes to this mm podcast.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 03-11-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote