Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #41
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

DFS and Maxi were undrafted, so it always puzzles me why people are surprised that they just aren't very good.

But again, it's not them as players that is the big concern. Big concern is having a bunch of overexposed guys around just Luka. If we had 2-3 superstars, the suddenly Green, Dorian, and Maxi look great. Without that, they will often look like crap. They are simply unable to play the type of basketball that the team needs from them.

That's why playing Hardy is now becoming essential. Suddenly, you have a third creator to go along with Dinwiddie and Luka. And he isn't going to create for others though...just for himself. And guess what? That's exactly what we need. There won't be hot potato with Hardy.

But yes, it does grow tiresome to see the same guys over and over not coming through in general. I wouldn't blink an eye if we traded most of the guys on the roster. Luka, Hardy, and Green are the only off limits players for me.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #42
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

If we're this frustrated, imagine what Luka thinks.

He's probably looking for a way out of Dallas, but nobody walks before a rookie max contract. I would be somewhat surprised if he signs the next one.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:15 PM   #43
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
lol

wood is relatively young why would a b2b bother him especially since he didn't play heavy minutes?

The dude simply isn't that much of a difference maker IMO because anything he gives you offensively gets washed by his poor defense.

Honestly it wouldn't shock me if Wood is the center piece player of any big deal that the Mavs make.

I'd package him, THJ and Bullock if that can net us a true 2nd option for Luka
Lol

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:22 PM   #44
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

The reason I would agree with trading Wood is I do not believe he's going to re-sign here.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:41 PM   #45
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
If we're this frustrated, imagine what Luka thinks.

He's probably looking for a way out of Dallas, but nobody walks before a rookie max contract. I would be somewhat surprised if he signs the next one.
I think the Mavs have 2 years to become real contenders year in/year out before you start hearing trade chatter.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:42 PM   #46
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
The reason I would agree with trading Wood is I do not believe he's going to re-sign here.
I don?t think the FO sees him as a long term piece. If he does somehow sign an extension he won?t make it through the whole thing.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:40 AM   #47
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I don't think Wood is the answer. Sure, he can get in his bag on offense, but almost everything else is a negative. Defense, FT shooting, passing out of failed drives, screening. Legit, go watch any of our other big men set a screen and you'll see.

He should be at the top for consideration to trade. He's our best asset aside from Luka and maybe Dinwiddie, and of course picks. Cut the cord now if they truly don't see a future.

For everyone clamoring about DFS, Maxi, Powell, Bullock, your one trick fucking pony is Wood. The difference between him and the others and the problem? He thinks he's a first team all NBA type and has burned the trail of teams before him. I didn't listen to my fam who are Rockets fans when they said he's a good player but a headcase. Of course, I gave my usual scoff of it's the Rockets etc. but there's more history to it than that.
saclare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:42 AM   #48
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Also, for anyone drawing conclusions for anything from this game, LOL

I barely watched just to see some Hardy. It was nice to see him shake off the rough start and go to work. It's fairly clear he needs a little more seasoning. Crazy to me that most of you just want to throw him to the wolves. I think they are actually taking the smart approach with the kid and he will continue to grow into more minutes.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:13 AM   #49
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I don't think Wood is the answer. Sure, he can get in his bag on offense, but almost everything else is a negative. Defense, FT shooting, passing out of failed drives, screening. Legit, go watch any of our other big men set a screen and you'll see.

He should be at the top for consideration to trade. He's our best asset aside from Luka and maybe Dinwiddie, and of course picks. Cut the cord now if they truly don't see a future.

For everyone clamoring about DFS, Maxi, Powell, Bullock, your one trick fucking pony is Wood. The difference between him and the others and the problem? He thinks he's a first team all NBA type and has burned the trail of teams before him. I didn't listen to my fam who are Rockets fans when they said he's a good player but a headcase. Of course, I gave my usual scoff of it's the Rockets etc. but there's more history to it than that.
Difference is that Wood consistently produces on the court. You know what you're going to get from him.

I have no clue if DFS, Maxi, Powell, or Bullock (although Bullock and Powell are mostly bad) will have a good game or not. None. That inconsistency drives fans insane.

DFS is the most annoying because it looks like he got his pay day and just isn't the same player from last season.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 03:09 PM   #50
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I am just not convinced Wood is the right fit with Luka and Kidd. He is a great shooter, rebounder, can get to the basket and finish..but to me it just looks like he is clueless when it comes to ball movement. Unless he has the ball in his hands, he just seems lost to me. Now that could be poor coaching by Kidd, but I wonder if Wood is another high usage player whose net effect on the game depends him being featured on offense. This would help explain why Kidd has him coming off the bench and his minutes being limited. Just spitballing here.

I have no idea if Chicago would go for it, but a deal centered around Wood for Vucevic might help both teams. Mavs would have to throw in someone else (McGee? Bullock?) to make the salaries work, but I find that swap intriguing.

Last edited by purplefrog; 12-12-2022 at 03:24 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:23 PM   #51
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post

I agree with a lot of this. Wood is not *the* answer. It's not crystal clear that he wouldn't have helped our record a lot more if we had tried him in the SLU and more mins early on but it is what it is at this point. Team FTs would have also helped our record fwiw.

That said, I'm more clear that Dfs,Maxi, dp, Bullock, Thj are 100% one trick ponies. Many nights they don't even have 1 trick. Setting picks are cool but who gives a shit when that's about all you get? Seriously, picks/screens is the most meh thing to defend these guys, who have been bouncing off their ceiling for a cpl years now.

I agree with trading him because it's not going to work for a handful of reasons. We just dont have anything else that teams want.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:18 PM   #52
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I agree with a lot of this. Wood is not *the* answer. It's not crystal clear that he wouldn't have helped our record a lot more if we had tried him in the SLU and more mins early on but it is what it is at this point. Team FTs would have also helped our record fwiw.

That said, I'm more clear that Dfs,Maxi, dp, Bullock, Thj are 100% one trick ponies. Many nights they don't even have 1 trick. Setting picks are cool but who gives a shit when that's about all you get? Seriously, picks/screens is the most meh thing to defend these guys, who have been bouncing off their ceiling for a cpl years now.

I agree with trading him because it's not going to work for a handful of reasons. We just dont have anything else that teams want.
Oh yea, def didn't mean that to say they aren't one-trick guys. Wood excels on offense, but I guess my point is that he holds value now and if we were to extend him, we would have yet another one-dimensional player to go with that group. I feel he has more value to other teams than to the current Mavs and we will see if Nico and Co. can find it.