Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 11-16-2004, 11:14 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Injury Update

Mavericks: Terry injures ankle

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Wednesday, November 17, 2004

News
Point guard Jason Terry left the Mavericks' game on Tuesday in the second quarter, only one quarter after the team lost center Erick Dampier to a strained hip. Terry suffered a sprained ankle while guarding Steve Nash and could not walk to the locker room under his own power.

Views
Terry's injury looks like it may keep him out of a few games, so Devin Harris will now get more time. Devin, a rookie, has been starting for the Mavericks at point guard, but playing significantly less than Terry. Harris may now get a chance to prove he belongs on the court more.

Mavericks: Dampier leaves with injury

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Wednesday, November 17, 2004

News
Center Erick Dampier left the Maverick's game on Tuesday against the Suns with a strained hip. He suffered in the injury in the first quarter when he collided with a Suns' player around the basket.

Views
There is no immediate word on how serious the injury is or if it will keep Dampier out for an extended period of time. Calvin Booth and Shawn Bradley would see increased time at center if Erick is forced to miss any games.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Injury Update

damp's injury worries me the most because we had no interior defense tonight after he left
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Injury Update

I heard that Terry will miss one game.

No word on Damp that I know of... but while he's gone I guess we will be playing alot of zone. So hopefully our perimeter D can step up.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #4
Rockstar

Rockstar is on a distinguished road

@#%$
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:00 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The report on ESPN was a hip flexor injury. That could easily keep Damp out several games. Those are a beeyatch.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:06 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Damp worries me as well. Also what is up with booth!! I mean he is really ineffective out there. I would have liked to have seen benga "banging" on stoudamire a little bit tonight, it would have been fun.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:30 AM   #7
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

A note in Sportsline's summary of the game says..

- Dampier hopes to play in Dallas' next game Friday night.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: rabbitproof
A note in Sportsline's summary of the game says..

- Dampier hopes to play in Dallas' next game Friday night.
In a related story, Drbio "hopes" to win the lottery this weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:42 AM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Posted by Tom over on the LMF board...

Quote:
I talked with Dampier in the lockerroom after the game. He thinks right now that the injury is not that bad and put his chances of playing against New York on Friday at better than 50-50. My tape from him reads...

"I was going back up under the basket to shoot it and it was actually a foul that they just didn't call. A Suns player pushed me and my upper body kind of extended backwards and it hyper extended the hip flexor. It's nothing real serious. Hopefully a couple of days of treatment plus a couple of days of rest and we'll be ready to go. I hope I can be on the floor on Friday [for New York] so we'll take tomorrow off to treat it and then we'll see how it feels on Friday."

Terry had left the lockerroom before media was admitted but Nellie said that Jason had started to put weight on the ankle. We will apparently not know more until tomorrow though.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:01 AM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

It sounds like Dampier might miss a game or two only. If any. It doesn't sound so good for Terry, but at least Finley might not be out as long as they thought.

Ankle aches go on for Mavericks
Guard Terry carried off court; Dampier leaves game with hip injury

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The ankle problems just won't go away for the Mavericks.

Point guard Jason Terry is the latest victim. He twisted his left ankle badly early in the second quarter against Phoenix on Tuesday night and had to be carried off the court.

This came after center Erick Dampier left the game in the first quarter with a strained left hip flexor. Neither returned.

The Mavericks have had five players hindered by ankle problems. Michael Finley is out at least one more game because of the sprain that put him on crutches after the Orlando game last week.

Terry's injury may be even worse. His ankle appeared to roll completely over when he stepped on Steve Nash's foot. X-rays were negative, but Terry is scheduled to have an MRI today if the ankle is not too swollen. He left the arena on crutches.

"It didn't feel too good when it happened," he said. "I've never had an ankle problem before."

Terry was trying to be optimistic, but it seems unlikely he would be able to play Friday against New York.

Dampier was hit in the left hip on the game's first play and said he was sore after the game.

"We'll get treatment the next couple days and see how it feels on Friday," he said. "I've had a hip flexor before. It just takes a couple days for it to work itself out."

The Mavericks got some good news on the injury front from Finley, who is walking without a limp, although his ankle remains slightly swollen.

Finley would be eligible to come back Sunday at Denver. He said he is day to day beyond that.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:51 PM   #11
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

As per Fish over at db.com, Terry's MRI indicated it was only a first degree sprain. Both he and Damp are listed day-to-day.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:36 PM   #12
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
As per Fish over at db.com, Terry's MRI indicated it was only a first degree sprain. Both he and Damp are listed day-to-day.
That's good news. We can ill afford to play too many games without Damp, Fin and Terry.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:51 PM   #13
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

That's great news. I really do think we could have pulled the phoenix game off with Dampier and Terry in there.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:15 AM   #14
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

pull it off, we woulda wooped they asses.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:36 AM   #15
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road

Mavs' rookie Harris to get increased minutes

11:30 PM CST on Wednesday, November 17, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

It's the year of the replacement in sports.

Devin Harris had 15 points, six assists, five steals and no turnovers against Steve Nash and the Suns on Tuesday. Whether it's Ben Roethlisberger with the Pittsburgh Steelers coming in for an injured Tommy Maddox and reeling off seven wins or, to a lesser extent, Jerry Stackhouse coming in for Michael Finley and having three 20-point-plus games, unexpected stars are popping up on a consistent basis.

Is Devin Harris next?

The rookie point guard for the Mavericks had his best game Tuesday in a losing effort to Phoenix and Steve Nash. But the fact that Harris had five steals and 10 fewer turnovers (Nash had 10) showed he was able to handle himself against a two-time All-Star in a difficult situation.

Now, with Jason Terry probably out for a week or longer, the playing time that was being doled out in dollops will come hot and heavy for Harris.

Coach Don Nelson said Harris is going to get more minutes because Marquis Daniels, who also shares time at point guard, is going to play more shooting guard and small forward.

"So I have no choice," Nelson said. "And the more minutes you get for a rookie, the better it is at the end of the year. The more losses you have, too, probably."

Nelson was laughing when he said that. But he probably is right. The organization is so high on Harris that it is willing to sacrifice in the short term to make sure Harris is everything he can be by season's end.

"In a year, he ought to have it," Nelson said. "Hopefully by the end of the year, he'll be really good."

Harris said he's treating Terry's injury as a chance to show he's ready to make a leap to the next level.

"Definitely, it's an opportunity," he said. "It's unfortunate that guys are going down. But other guys have to step up, especially somebody in my position. I'm kind of up and down right now. But I was kind of thrown into the fire [Tuesday], and I tried to respond."

The fire is about to get hotter.

Injuries improving: The Mavericks may get Michael Finley back on schedule, if not ahead of time.

The original prognosis, according to coach Don Nelson, was three weeks, and he said Wednesday that looks like an accurate projection. That would give Finley a return date of Nov. 30, when the Mavericks host San Antonio.

In addition, Erick Dampier said his left hip flexor is not expected to be a long-term problem and he expects to miss 10 days at most.

"It's still sore a little," Dampier said. "Whenever I'm comfortable with the pain, I'll be back."

An MRI on Wednesday revealed Jason Terry has a first-degree sprain of his left ankle. He is day-to-day but not expected to play Friday against the Knicks.

Mavs break out new uniform: The Mavericks are unveiling a new road uniform Friday night against the Knicks. The Mavericks and four other teams will be allowed to unveil the new look at home games. The Mavericks are the first to do so.

The new uniforms, produced by Reebok, have been kept under wraps so far but will be available as part of a video-game marketing campaign by EA Sports.

Go to NBA.com on Friday for codes to unveil the look of the uniform.
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:47 AM   #16
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I thought things were looking better on the injury front but this report doesn't sound good.

We've gone from Dampier believing he could play Friday to him missing as much as 10 days. The Mavs could be looking at not having him for the next 5-6 games.

Same goes with Terry if he's out for a week.

I thought Nelson said it would be 2 weeks without Finley now he's expected to be out till the end of the month?
Old 11-18-2004, 02:49 AM   #17
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Dampier obviously is the biggest concern here. I just hope he can be back in 10 days, nothing longer. I really like the opportunity Devin will get because of this, it will give him a chance to prove that he should not only start but can be relied on to be a player.

When Terry comes back we will have a killer PG duo, if this works right, which I suspect it will.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:02 PM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
Dampier obviously is the biggest concern here. I just hope he can be back in 10 days, nothing longer. I really like the opportunity Devin will get because of this, it will give him a chance to prove that he should not only start but can be relied on to be a player.

When Terry comes back we will have a killer PG duo, if this works right, which I suspect it will.
I think that will ultimately be true. We will be tested for a while, but we'll really find an identity while we are playing without Fin, Damp and Terry. I had the feeling that this team had too much talent and that made responsibility hard to pin, and guys subconsciously were aware that with all the extra talent, they could play haphazardly and win it in the end with sheer talent. We're going to have it pretty tough for a a while, but it will be a good reminder of how powerful that underdog mentality is in learning to play all 48 minutes.

A little bit of adversity will do nothing but good for this team's character, even if the loss of Terry and Dampier puts back the development a little bit
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #19
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Time for Dickau and Benga to stand up and prove that they belong in the NBA, and are not just drawing a paycheck.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote