Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-29-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good riddance you a-hole piece of crap

Report: Rogers done with Rangers
ESPN.com news services

Kenny Rogers, who began battling with management before the season and has had a tumultuous year off the field, doesn't expect to wear a Rangers uniform next season.

"I'm pretty certain this is my last start here," Rogers told The Dallas Morning News off his scheduled appearance Thursday. "Actually, I'm extremely certain. I think everybody has made their positions known.

"In a way, I'm kind of relieved. I know I won't have to bend over backwards to make it happen. I think sometimes in the past, my desire to be here has been the overriding factor for me, and at least I know where I stand."

The year began poorly as the club angered Rogers by its offseason handling of his request for a contract extension.

In June, Rogers was involved in an altercation with two TV cameramen that resulted in a 20-game suspension, reduced to 13 by an arbitrator, and a $50,000 fine.

In between, he had a 31-inning scoreless streak in April and May. At 14-7 with a 3.42 ERA in 189 1/3 innings, he leads the team in wins and innings pitched.

The Rangers would like to talk to him about coming back, the Morning News reported, but will wait until the offseason.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Good riddance you a-hole piece of crap

Has there been a more popular player fall from grace this fast? Not including Palmeiro because Kenny was always more popular than Palmeiro.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Good riddance you a-hole piece of crap

I am still a huge Kenny fan - mainly because I was at his "perfect game". With that said good-bye, he needs to retire anyway.
Gone are the days of Kenny, Kevin Brown, Palmeiro, Juan-Gone, Pudge, Will the thrill. I have some good memories, but they all need to be out of the league within the next year or two, and let the young men play the game. Most have just proven that drugs and supplements will allow you to do great things for short periods of time. I for one have zero confidence that any of the players I listed stayed clean of "performance enhancing drugs". Maybe one or two did, but I doubt it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Palmeiro, Rogers and Gonzo can all suck it.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I'm so tired of talking about him. Let just not anymore, please.

I was so momentarily excited to hear the first signs of Hicks maybe starting to think about not bringing Hart back next year... until the FWST shot that down today. And I love the poll on DMN, like 95% for getting rid of that useless excuse for a GM.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Palmeiro, Rogers and Gonzo can all suck it.
You can suck it...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:40 AM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa, whoa, whoa! When the Murph reappears, he's got his gloves on!

I don't really want to chime in either way, because when it comes to certain issues, I've never been a huge Rogers fan. But the mention of guys like Gonzo and Palmeiro and Pudge and Clark brings back some pretty painful memories. I've always thought that they shouldn't have blown it up when they did, when they couldn't get past the Yankees in the playoffs. Because the truth may very well be that those Yankees team were right there among the best teams to EVER play the game.

I just don't know how they could have beaten them. Damn, those Yankees teams were good. I don't know if everyone appreciates just how good they were.

Then again, we did fight them tooth and nail that one year, based in very large part on Juan Gonzalez's larger-than-life series. If only we had Wetteland that much sooner, and them not, who knows where it would have gone...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:40 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

murph is still pissed because I "outed him" about wearing Nick Van Exel underoos. Honestly though....I didn't know they made them that big.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Rogers is one sorry dude...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:59 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

The Rangers finally got one right....well done. Get rid of this piece of crap forever.

DALLAS -- Kenny Rogers will not return to the Texas Rangers, who are cutting ties with the pitcher whose third stint with the team will be most remembered for shoving two television cameramen.

In a statement Monday, the Rangers said the 40-year-old left-hander, who will become a free agent, will not be offered a contract for 2006.

"The Texas Rangers organization would like to thank Kenny Rogers for his efforts over the last two seasons and during his entire Rangers career," general manager John Hart said. "As we look at 2006 and beyond, we feel it is in the club's best interests to move forward without him."

Rogers' agent, Scott Boras, didn't immediately return a phone message.

The team offered no further comment. Hart was scheduled to meet with the media Tuesday to discuss the 2005 season and the team's plans for the offseason.

Rogers was 14-8 with a 3.46 ERA, and was an All-Star for the second straight year. But what most people will remember about his 12th season with the Rangers is the videotaped tirade June 29 when he shoved two TV cameramen while walking onto the field.

While appealing his 20-game suspension, which eventually was reduced to 13 games, Rogers pitched in the All-Star Game. As an All-Star, he earned a $50,000 contract bonus -- the same amount as his fine.

Rogers was a 17-year-old outfielder when he was drafted by the Rangers in 1982 and turned into a pitcher. In 1994, Rogers pitched a perfect game for Texas against the Anaheim Angels.

Rogers pitched for Texas from 1989-95, then went to the New York Yankees (1996-97), Oakland (1998-99) and New York Mets (1999) before returning to the Rangers from 2000-02. After not being offered salary arbitration, Rogers left and spent one season in Minnesota before going back to Texas when he signed a $6 million, two-year contract before the 2002 season.

After winning a career-high 18 games in 2004, Rogers met with owner Tom Hicks before spring training this season to talk about a contract extension. Rogers denied reports that he threatened to retire, and quit speaking to most media.

The Rangers had had some talks with Boras about a new contract midway through this season, but Hart said the two sides were far apart on money. That was before Rogers shoved the cameramen.