Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-16-2004, 01:44 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs trying to get over Nash, with assist from young trio

Mavs trying to get over Nash, with assist from young trio
Harris, Terry, Daniels will try to dampen fan favorite's homecoming

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Like anybody else, Don Nelson occasionally longs for the good ol' days.

Those were the times when men were men, and basketball clearly was more important to players than money or rapping. Or at least more important than rapping.

You know, way back when his point guard had long, scraggly hair.

When Nelson got a chance to watch Steve Nash in a televised Phoenix game last week, he was like a kid watching a cartoon that he's seen a hundred times but still loves.

"Look at him," Nelson would say. "He's so darn good. I just love that guy."

Loved him so much that he could turn over the keys to his offense to Nash with confidence that Nash wouldn't make a wreck of it. Nash was Nelson's security blanket, his comfort zone.

Nash comes home to American Airlines Center tonight as a Phoenix Sun. While Mark Cuban likes to wear his "MFFL" T-shirts (Mavs Fan For Life), it would surprise nobody if there were some "NFFL" knockoffs tonight at the arena: "Nash Fans For Life."

"He was a big part of everything we did," says Dirk Nowitzki, who remains the best of friends with Nash. "He played his heart out for us every night. It's going to be an emotional night, for him as well as us."

But the Mavericks have a job to do, and that's to beat Nash. While Nelson, Nowitzki, Michael Finley and other veteran Mavericks still would like to have Nash on their side, they know his departure happened for a reason.

They also know that the point guard position has evolved quite nicely. Nobody could replace Nash. But the trio of Devin Harris, Jason Terry and Marquis Daniels, who is handling more and more of the point chores, is a committee that has performed admirably at the point through eight games.

"Everybody's been doing a great job of moving the ball," Daniels said. "All of the point guards are contributing, and we're clicking on all cylinders right now."

Nelson has an affinity for big point guards. At 6-6, Daniels qualifies. Though he's still gimping around on a tender ankle, the second-year guard is doing a lot of the things that made him the rookie surprise of last season.

Terry, meanwhile, had 11 assists off the bench Sunday at Washington. That's not a bad Nash impersonation.

Harris, the rookie drafted No. 5, is making good use of his minutes, which are being limited so as to give him time to grow into a comfort zone.

Tonight, they know the stakes go up against one of the most popular Mavericks in franchise history.

"It's going to get real emotional, I guarantee it," Terry said.

Though everybody with the Mavericks is happy to be 7-1, those who know Nash best still miss him. Nowitzki was asked if he was excited about playing with Nash tonight.

"Play with him?" he said incredulously. "I wish."

DMN Notebook:
Henderson has been a pleasant surprise

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

A vast array of key contributors are responsible for the Mavericks' 7-1 start, but the one who is flying lowest under the radar is one who coach Don Nelson believes deserves as much credit as anybody.

Alan Henderson – essentially a salary-cap throw-in with Jason Terry in the Antoine Walker trade – has become the new Eduardo Najera in the Mavericks' mix.

Sometimes he goes unnoticed. But not by his coaches or the opponent. Sunday's victory over Washington was a prime example. Henderson had seven rebounds in 33 minutes, five on the offensive end. He is averaging 5.6 boards, and most importantly, he is third in the NBA in offensive rebounds per 48 minutes.

And his role defensively has earned him praise, too.

"He was another reason we won [against Washington]," Nelson said. "He allowed us to play Antawn Jamison straight up. Nobody else could stop him before that."

Henderson already has played two more than the six games he played all of last season. He said his back, which cost him nearly all of last year, has been cooperative so far.

Home cooking:

The Mavericks will enjoy a relatively light week with two home games (New York visits Friday) before heading back on the road to Denver.

But the way things went on the 3-1 trip to the East Coast, the Mavericks wouldn't mind keeping the good karma going on the road.

"For me, it's important to win on the road," Josh Howard said. "It lets you know how you are when the playoffs come around if you go into somebody else's house. Winning now is a good sign."
Old 11-16-2004, 01:50 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs trying to get over Nash, with assist from young trio

Quote:
it would surprise nobody if there were some "NFFL" knockoffs tonight at the arena: "Nash Fans For Life."
anyone who dares this should be slapped until they recant their heresy.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:34 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Mavs trying to get over Nash, with assist from young trio

Uhm, in other words, Nash allowed Nelson to sit over on the bench on his fat ass and coach less?

Get over him, Nellie. He ain't comin' back.

And if Nash's departure is actually causing Nellie to have to engage a little bit more and actually pay attention, then all the better.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:46 AM   #4
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Uhm, in other words, Nash allowed Nelson to sit over on the bench on his fat ass and coach less?

And if Nash's departure is actually causing Nellie to have to engage a little bit more and actually pay attention, then all the better.
But isn't that the way basketball should be played? I find it a bit annoying to watch teams like the Rockets that have to look to the coach to call plays on the majority of their posessions.

But, having not seen *any* games live this year, I don't know if Nelson is coaching more from the bench or less, and it's not as if the team's success so far can be argued with. It would appear that Nash moving on was a win-win for both Dallas and Phoenix.

4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:50 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

His coaching should consist of.....'throw the ball to the big German and then get open'.
Surely he can figure that one out.

As for Daniels at the point, I can't say that I see much there that I like. He's much better at the 2 or 3...much better for the team at least.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
His coaching should consist of.....'throw the ball to the big German and then get open'.
Surely he can figure that one out.

As for Daniels at the point, I can't say that I see much there that I like. He's much better at the 2 or 3...much better for the team at least.
Agree on both points. We're a much better team when the ball runs through Dirk. There's few big men in the league that can create their own shot from anywhere on the court, as well as Dirk can. There's no limit to his shot-creating ability and his passing is getting better every day to a point where it's more than acceptable now.

Quis is a 2 and shouldn't be used at PG for more than a few minutes, if at all. The more he handles the ball the more he tries to play 1 on 5 while ignoring his open teammates. He has a bit of NVE in him.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't know where you get any of those claims. But even if you were right, the fact would remain that Nellie coached him into the player he was in the first place.

I suspect that Nellie isn't the one who has something he should "get over." You are first and foremost a NYK fan, right?

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:34 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Daniels has looked poor, granted, but I won't forget the near-triple-doubles from the PG position that got him recognized and got him PT. He's certainly capable of a lot more.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:15 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Daniels has looked poor, granted, but I won't forget the near-triple-doubles from the PG position that got him recognized and got him PT. He's certainly capable of a lot more.
He can still distribute and create from the 2guard spot. I see no reason to use him much at all at the point.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:23 PM   #10
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Sorry to post this on two different threads, but I was hoping someone could post today's espn insider about the mavs being better without Nash.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:23 PM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Quote:

I don't know where you get any of those claims. But even if you were right, the fact would remain that Nellie coached him into the player he was in the first place.

I suspect that Nellie isn't the one who has something he should "get over." You are first and foremost a NYK fan, right?
Claims? They're called "opinions", Dildene.

It's early in the season, and the Mavs are doing okay so far, so I was deferring on the Nellie-rag until after Valentine's Day or so, because basically they're playing like I like to see. ....Basically. At least in the right direction. Generally.

That said, more than a couple of people (Mark Cuban among them) have noticed that Fat Nellie appears to have been putting in less than 100% effort for the last couple of years, especially on defense. So when Nash gets characterized as Nellie's "security blanket" and "comfort zone" it sure seems fair to observe that or at least to pose the question if Nellie like Nash because he felt freer not to have to invest himself in the games.

Nellie gets all wet and weepy about Nash's return when he's got a couple of PGs who're playing their asses off for him right now. Treating Nash with respect is one thing, but Nellie really just needs to get the two of them a room.

My love for the NYKs is well-documented.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:46 PM   #12
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

My love for the NYKs is well-documented.
lol
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:22 PM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What does "Dildene" mean?

I'm sorry if you blame Nellie for setting back the storied NYK franchise. Goodness knows they deserved better.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:40 AM   #14
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

The mavs will have trouble replacing a guard who can pass to dirk. Our guards haven't learned to do it very well yet. As in get him easy shots
Old 11-17-2004, 02:53 AM   #15
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Remember Nash didn't either early in his stay in Dallas.