Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-16-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Steve Nash on the Ticket...

with Dunham & Miller. He will be on at 9:35 AM CST(NOW).

To listen via live stream click here.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Steve Nash on the Ticket...

Isn't he on at 9:35?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Steve's on now.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:36 AM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Steve Nash on the Ticket...

Sorry, yeah... he's on now. I heard the time wrong. Thanks Murphy.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Did courting of Kidd affect him? Maybe sub-consciously. He felt they felt good about having him as the PG of the future. Was a surprise to him the contract match didn't happen.

He's enjoying being around all the youth in Phoenix.

Whats like not playing with Dirk? Strange. Hard. We played together alot of games, makes it difficult..

I missed a question that sounded important here.... someone wanting me to work. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Now it's a bunch of garbage, catching up with old time junk.

What do you think of Mavs now? I really like their team. Made some good moves. Look more like a team, more chemistry on the court than last year.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

It was funny when GK asked him if he had plans to make his girlfriend an "honest woman."

He replied and said "that most people that know her think she's already pretty honest."

funny.

good interview.

money makes the world go around...
Old 11-16-2004, 11:19 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

there is an obvious strain between Nash and Cuban....he tried to play it off as a joke, but when asked if he'd talk to Mark at the game tonight...he responded with something like, "if I see him"....please anyone in that arena can see Cuban.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:49 PM   #8
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

it was also funny when CM asked him if he would "act like he was passing to Shawn Marion on the baseline but really hit Cuban in the head with the ball?"

Nash responded "I don't even need to act like I'm passing the ball."

also funny.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:01 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone let Nash know that he can suck it?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I did...but I don't think my radio is two-way.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:30 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
I did...but I don't think my radio is two-way.
funny.

Sounds like he was playing contract-chicken and Cuban didnt flinch.

I have no problem with Nash. I just wish he hadnt whined about being unappreciated here
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:35 PM   #12
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
it was also funny when CM asked him if he would "act like he was passing to Shawn Marion on the baseline but really hit Cuban in the head with the ball?"

also funny.
That is funny. I can also picture cuban charging him after that happened. Some reason I have the rocky 4 music in my mind when rocky and the big russian are in the ring.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:43 PM   #13
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Nash is enjoying his extra 15 million units of happiness and his new teammates. Personally, I am enjoying our new point guards that can actually play defense.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:44 PM   #14
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
Quote:

also funny.
That is funny. I can also picture cuban charging him after that happened. Some reason I have the rocky 4 music in my mind when rocky and the big russian are in the ring.
an underrated movie indeed...
Old 11-16-2004, 02:44 PM   #15
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I think that Nash is sorry to be gone, but got blown away by a contract. If Cuban had acted like he REALLY wanted him, he would have stayed.

For Steve, it came down to who wanted him more, not where he really wanted to be.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:46 PM   #16
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Uh, hitman, Cuban definitely wanted him, but he wasn't going to put the franchise's future in jeopardy just to resign him.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-16-2004, 03:11 PM   #17
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
I think that Nash is sorry to be gone, but got blown away by a contract. If Cuban had acted like he REALLY wanted him, he would have stayed.

For Steve, it came down to who wanted him more, not where he really wanted to be.
The whole "Why did Steve leave and whose fault is it?" has been beaten into the ground here and elsewhere, but you make an interesting point. Perhaps, in retrospect, Steve is sorry to be gone, but I don't think Steve really gave the whole thing a ton of thought. I think he just saw the huge contract and agreed before Phoenix was smart enough to rescind the offer. The notion that Steve wanted to feel wanted is, well, overrated. He wanted to feel well-compensated. And he definitely is.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:16 PM   #18
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FINtastic
Uh, hitman, Cuban definitely wanted him, but he wasn't going to put the franchise's future in jeopardy just to resign him.
Nash wanted to be here...The Mavs (Cubanellie) wanted him here...he just got an offer he couldn't refuse...

I guess it's like working at IBM for years. Your friends are all there...you've grown comfortable. Then, Dell comes along and offers to pay you way more than IBM ever would and IBM even says "we can't match that offer, you've got to take it...good luck." There are no bad guys in that scenario...

But, I left out the details of the Jason Kidd rumors, and bitterness that both parties expressed afterward...
Old 11-16-2004, 03:21 PM   #19
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Can someone please post the espn insider from Chad Ford talking about the Mavs being better without Steve.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:59 PM   #20
bgantz

bgantz is on a distinguished road

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider
Â*

American novelist Thomas Wolfe once wrote a book entitled "You Can't Go Home Again." His argument was that once the door to an era closes, it could never be opened again.

Steve Nash is about to learn that the hard way Tuesday night in Dallas. Nash returns for the first time to face the Mavericks, a team he walked away from this summer when the Phoenix Suns made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Nash leaving closed an era in Dallas and opened a new one in Phoenix. Are both teams better off after the switch? The Mavs, who many thought would sink in the West without Nash pushing the ball, are off to a 7-1 start.

The Suns, who were the worst team in the West last season, now lead the league in scoring thanks in large part to Nash's brilliant leadership in the early going.

Nash isn't the only one who can't go home again. A number of stars including Shaquille O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, Steve Francis, Carlos Boozer and Kenyon Martin moved on this summer hoping that a change of scenery would write a brighter happier chapter to their careers.

How have they fared? And how have their replacements filled their shoes? Insider takes a look . . .

Steve Nash, Suns

2004 Stats: 15 ppg, 9.7 apg on 54 percent shooting
2003 Stats: 14.5 ppg, 8.8 apg on 47 percent shooting
The skinny: Nash appeared to be a lock to return to Dallas this summer, but an unbelievable six-year, $66 million dollar offer by the Suns caused Mark Cuban to gagged and Nash took the money and ran. So far it's hard to argue with the results. He's taken the worst team in the West last season and turned them into an offensive juggernaut. Nash leads the league in assists, pushes the ball at every opportunity and has made all of the young players surrounding him better. Sounds a lot like what he did in Dallas several years ago. The question in Phoenix is how long can Nash keep it up. He plays with such reckless abandon that there are legit worries about how much longer he'll really play at this level. Regardless, for a team that desperately needed a floor leader and a mentor for a young, athletic crew . . . Nash was the perfect choice.
Nash's return to Dallas: Nov. 16

Devin Harris and Jason Terry, Mavericks

2004 Stats: 18.9 ppg, 6.2 apg

Harris comes to play on defense, too.
The skinny: Everyone thought that the loss of Nash would sink the Mavs. However, after a 7-1 start, the playbook on Dallas is already being revised. The Mavs traded for Terry in an attempt to replace Nash but Don Nelson quickly became unhappy with how he distributed the ball. Terry is an excellent scorer, but doesn't control the flow of the game the way Nash did. By the start of the season, Harris, despite being a rookie, got the starting call and has been solid. Donnie Nelson told me this fall that he believes Harris is the closest player he's seen to Nash. He's quick, has excellent floor vision and can shoot the lights out when shots are falling anywhere else. Both are much better defenders than Nash. In the short term, the Mavs might miss Nash a little, but the long-term prognosis on Harris looks stellar.

ADVANTAGE: NASH
bgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:01 PM   #21
bgantz

bgantz is on a distinguished road

i wonder if there will be a sect of fans that boo nash when he touches the ball...
bgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:36 PM   #22
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: FINtastic
Nash wanted to be here...The Mavs (Cubanellie) wanted him here...he just got an offer he couldn't refuse...

I guess it's like working at IBM for years. Your friends are all there...you've grown comfortable. Then, Dell comes along and offers to pay you way more than IBM ever would and IBM even says "we can't match that offer, you've got to take it...good luck." There are no bad guys in that scenario...

But, I left out the details of the Jason Kidd rumors, and bitterness that both parties expressed afterward...
This is one of those cases where everyone is going to have their own opinion. IMO, Nash was the bad guy in this situation. Not only did he bolt for the money (something that I am not too fond of when a player is already set for life), but he trashed Cuban and whined about being "underappreciated" in the process. If he would have just left for the money and stayed silent, it would have been one thing, but I feel he really crossed the line on this one. Therefore, I say good riddance to you, Steve Nash, and enjoy sitting on those extra 15 million units of happiness while you watch your team go out in the first round this year.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-16-2004, 04:53 PM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I see it like this: Steve Nash was talking with his agent and his agent supported and advanced the idea that he was worth more. Nash came to Dallas and they offered him a pretty good sum of money. His agent agreed that Cuban had deeper pockets and proposed a plan to get deeper into them. I dont believe that Nash wanted to leave, but he played chicken with Cuban and lost and that caused a rift between them. Phoenix courted him and he went where the money was. All the rest is spin.

It was just hurtful that he said that we didnt appreciate him. I see that as an attack on Cuban, because I have no idea how he can say about the franchise or the fans after all the love Dirk, Finley, the Nelsons, and the fans had shown him and continue to show him.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nash should shut the heck up now. He took the money and he needs to live with it, not try to act like some sort of victim. Good grief.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:32 PM   #25
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Bgantz, thanks for posting the insider. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote