Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 11-16-2004, 05:40 PM   #1
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default Mavs are the tallest...

Good riddance to the small ball...

Article taken from Fox Sports (www.foxsports.com).

================================================== =======================
The long and short of it
Sporting News - The Experts' Choice
Posted: 3 hours ago

Since the NBA began its opening-day roster surveys in 1985, the average player has met the same specs: 6-7, 27 years old and a four-plus-year veteran of the league. Only one standard has changed noticeably: weight. Today's "average" player checks in at 224.29, nearly 10 pounds more than the 214.40 average in 1985-86, and the average weight this season actually is down a pound from a year ago.

This year's "Mr. Average": Shawn Marion, the Suns' 6-7.26, 228-pound, 26.55-year-old veteran of five seasons. Marion replaces Matt Harpring, who had a two-year hold on the honor.

THE SURVEY SAYS ...

Oldest team: Rockets, 29.16, but the Pistons have the most players over 30 (eight).

Youngest: Suns, 24.33, though the Grizzlies and Jazz are the only teams without a 30-year-old.

Tallest: Mavericks, 6-8.26 with four of the league's 47 7-footers.

Heaviest: Magic, 231.6 pounds.

Lightest: Timber-wolves, 215.77 pounds.

Shortest: 76ers, 6-6.2, who along with the Hornets and Warriors, are the only teams without a 7-footer.

The college most players come from: Kentucky, 13, to Duke's 10.

Source: NBA News

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #2
bobatundi1

bobatundi1 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Mavs are the tallest...

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M
Good riddance to the small ball...

Article taken from Fox Sports (www.foxsports.com).

================================================== =======================
The long and short of it
Sporting News - The Experts' Choice
Posted: 3 hours ago

Since the NBA began its opening-day roster surveys in 1985, the average player has met the same specs: 6-7, 27 years old and a four-plus-year veteran of the league. Only one standard has changed noticeably: weight. Today's "average" player checks in at 224.29, nearly 10 pounds more than the 214.40 average in 1985-86, and the average weight this season actually is down a pound from a year ago.

This year's "Mr. Average": Shawn Marion, the Suns' 6-7.26, 228-pound, 26.55-year-old veteran of five seasons. Marion replaces Matt Harpring, who had a two-year hold on the honor.

THE SURVEY SAYS ...

Oldest team: Rockets, 29.16, but the Pistons have the most players over 30 (eight).

Youngest: Suns, 24.33, though the Grizzlies and Jazz are the only teams without a 30-year-old.

Heaviest: Magic, 231.6 pounds.

Lightest: Timber-wolves, 215.77 pounds.

Shortest: 76ers, 6-6.2, who along with the Hornets and Warriors, are the only teams without a 7-footer.

The college most players come from: Kentucky, 13, to Duke's 10.

Source: NBA News
I guess Shaq losing all that weight in the offseason kept the Heat from being the heaviest team.

Too bad much of our height is buried on the bench (MBenga, Booth). Bradley's been playing well, at least.
bobatundi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:49 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs are the tallest...

Quote:
And that doesn't include Damp and Booth.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:58 PM   #4
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
And that doesn't include Damp and Booth.
Amazingly true.

Except for Dickau & Terry, everyone's reasonably tall for their positions. Combine the fact they are all long and athletic, explains the reason for our success on the defensive end.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:39 PM   #5
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

I didn't even realize this, but height is a definite advantage. It kinda makes me feel bad for the Suns - 1 PG, 3 SG, and 1 PF as their starting 5. With the exception of Amare, all their starters are under 6'8. Shucks. Wonder who's going to win tonight...
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:26 PM   #6
basketball jonessss

basketball jonessss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: orangedays
I didn't even realize this, but height is a definite advantage. It kinda makes me feel bad for the Suns - 1 PG, 3 SG, and 1 PF as their starting 5. With the exception of Amare, all their starters are under 6'8. Shucks. Wonder who's going to win tonight...
Watch, --------------- we'll play "MATCHUP GENIUS" and go small. May it not be so.

Old 11-16-2004, 07:30 PM   #7
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

does this mean even when we're playing small ball we'll stil be playing "average ball?" [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

the smallest lineup i can think of: harris (pg), jt (sg), stack (sf), fin (pf), j-ho (c)
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: cheesestar
does this mean even when we're playing small ball we'll stil be playing "average ball?" [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

the smallest lineup i can think of: harris (pg), jt (sg), stack (sf), fin (pf), j-ho (c)
True, but the smallest five I can think of is:

Jet (6'2 PG), Dickau (6'0 SG), Harris (6'3 SF...he's the tallest of the three), Stack (6'6 PF), Daniels (6'6 C).
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:57 AM   #9
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Mavs are the tallest...

WE can be the tallest but we can play like the shortest. lol

Dirk is tall but he doesn't play like a normal PF. He takes advantage of his brillant shooting ability. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote