Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-17-2004, 02:07 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Harris stands his ground against Nash

Harris stands his ground against Nash

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The point guard of the past was great. But the point guard of the future wasn't bad, either.

Rookie Devin Harris found out what it's like going against a local legend, but he didn't back down from the challenge Steve Nash presented. While it was Nash's night to be toasted at American Airlines Center, then do some roasting of his former team, Harris served notice that the Mavericks' point-guard position is in good hands.

"I was pretty proud of my point guard," coach Don Nelson said. "The future is bright here. He just doesn't have the information that Steve Nash has, and he's not going to get it in two months."

Harris knew he was up against a tough match.

"It was an experience," he said. "He played extremely well. We had some guys knocked out [with injuries], so I just tried to seize the opportunity."

Harris finished with 15 points, six assists and five steals. They weren't Nash numbers. But they weren't bad.

Nash was just happy to get through an emotional day. An hour before game time, Nash was into his routine. He went to the practice court for pregame shooting, just as he did as a Maverick.

It wasn't the first time a player from a visiting team worked out pregame on the Mavericks' private floor. But it's rare. He got a lengthy standing ovation when starting lineups were announced.

The Mavericks figured they were in trouble.

"We said that before [Jerry] Stackhouse went back to Washington," Nelson said. "We thought he'd have either a great game or a stinker. And he had a great game. Usually, you either play great or lay an egg."

Assistant coach Del Harris was standing close by and offered his prediction:

"I wouldn't count on any eggs tonight," Harris said.

Nash's main concern was to get through the day.

Briefly:

The Mavericks had won seven consecutive games at AAC against Phoenix ... Four Suns had double-doubles, with Amare Stoudemire, Quentin Richardson and Shawn Marion getting theirs with points and rebounds and Steve Nash doing so with assists and points.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:40 AM   #2
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Harris stands his ground against Nash

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Harris finished with 15 points, six assists and five steals. They weren't Nash numbers. But they weren't bad.
Yeah, they sure weren't Nash numbers. Nash never got 5 steals in a game in his life.

EDIT: I have to take it back. Nash has 5 steals once in his career-- against Boston in 2000. I stand by my general point, though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:55 AM   #3
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Harris stands his ground against Nash

Nash also had a buttload of turnovers and Harris didn't. I thought Devin was outstanding, I hope this leads to more minutes and elevates him.

Once Harris learns to shoot and keep his dribble (which he was better at tonight) then he will be an All Star.

Awesome.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:59 AM   #4
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

pat on the back to harris, he played really well.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:27 AM   #5
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Harris stands his ground against Nash

I can't wait to see him harass Marbury Friday night.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:00 AM   #6
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Harris is really impressing me. He'll be one of the best defensive and most athletic pg's in the league with time.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:05 AM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

He makes me so proud, sniff sniff. You know, in our two losses, I haven't felt that bad. I mean we held our own without Terry, Damp, and Finley. Two starters and our co-6th man out.....Harris stepped up and gave it a heck of an effort. Watch next game. My boy will have a killer game, especially if Terry is still out. Although I heard his ankle is ok. Anyways....GO MAVS

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:46 AM   #8
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Nash did have too many turnovers but that goes with the terriotory. He got his Suns teammates layup/dunk after the other. He was very good last night

With that being said you have to like how Harris responded. He seems to have a strong mental makeup. His scoring is way ahead of his playmaking right now, but that will improve. I think he has the potential to score 20 a game in the NBA while handing out 6-8 assists a game. Throw in his defensive ability and the kid could be scary good. Will take some time though...although maybe not as long as I thought.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:12 AM   #9
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

Eh, with 18 assists.. suddenly 10 turnovers doesn't sound so bad.. especially when the end result of the game is a win due to your point guard's efforts in a big game.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:58 AM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: poohrichardson
Eh, with 18 assists.. suddenly 10 turnovers doesn't sound so bad.. especially when the end result of the game is a win due to your point guard's efforts in a big game.
Conversely, 18 assists isn't as impressive when it's accompanied by 10 TOs. Nash has to feel lucky his team won, or he'd be looking like a goat with those 10 TOs.

When you compare their net A-TO, they were pretty even. NIce game for Harris.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:30 AM   #11
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

the net A to TO doesn't take into account whether the Mavs scored off of each of those turnovers...if they did, then there was only a 4 point lag (36 to 32), but if not, the difference increases.

The only complaint I would have about Harris' game is that it took him 20 shots to get 15 points. But, considering the inconsistent minutes he has received so far this season, he did an admirable job after Terry went down.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:48 AM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: poohrichardson
Eh, with 18 assists.. suddenly 10 turnovers doesn't sound so bad...
10 turnovers always sounds bad. 18 assists always sounds great. Like Kiki said, it pretty much washes to a decent effort by Nash.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote