Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Peja says he will opt out of deal

Peja says he will opt out of deal

Stojakovic, acquired in Artest trade, likely to become free agent after this season

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

CHICAGO -- Indiana Pacers forward Peja Stojakovic said Tuesday that he'll probably opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent this summer.

"I have the option to do it, so that's something I'm probably going to do," he said before the game at Chicago.

Stojakovic, acquired from Sacramento for Ron Artest on Jan. 25, is scheduled to make $8.2 million next season. Pacers president Larry Bird said in January that the team wants to keep Stojakovic beyond this season.

"I've been after this kid for two years and I don't want him to be here for two weeks. . . . Hopefully he'll be in a Pacer uniform for a long time to come," Bird said during the news conference to introduce Stojakovic.

Stojakovic is averaging 19.0 points and making 39 percent of his 3-pointers in 31 games with the Pacers.

Stojakovic said he's interested in remaining with the Pacers.

"I said from the beginning that the Pacers are a great organization," he said. "(CEO) Donnie (Walsh) and Larry are great people. I believe this team has the potential."

(...)
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Pacers could be a powerhouse in the East if they keep Peja. I really hope they do.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Pacers could be a powerhouse in the East if they keep Peja. I really hope they do.
I've always liked the guy...I just hope he finds a team where he fits in....I doubt he's really happy getting only 19 a game....but maybe I'm wrong.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Peja could be the #1 option in Indy. I love me some JO, but I think they could play the inside-out game really well with Peja on the perimeter and O'Neal in the post. Definitely a contender in the East if they resign Peja.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

speaking the JO/Paja connection, how is the inside out game been? I have not see one full Pacer game since the move.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

JO just got back from injury so they havent really been able to work on it yet.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Peja is not a franchise type player. Making him the no.1 option would be foolish. Playing him alongside Jermaine O'Neal, then you got something good going on.

If O'Neal is healthy and they have a good point guard, the Pacers will be GOOD, y'all.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Is he going to get 8.2 mil from someone else if he opts out?

Last edited by Drbio; 04-05-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Is he going to get 8.2 mil from someone else if he opts out?
good question.....I mean, I don't have that kind of money.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

He'll get more than 8.2. Come on guys, i mean mike dunleavy got around 7 and he isnt half the player peja is.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #11
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

that mike dunleavy contract was another miscue by a former player that has no business being a gm...the warriors are doomed for years to come.

Peja is a nice player....at 6-8 million. Anything more, he's overpaid, because he can't play D.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #12
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

looks like the kings got the better part of that deal
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:38 PM   #13
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

No way in hell Peja gets more than 8 mill. He'll end up a Pacer again next season which is good because he's the final piece IMO. When he's not scoring what else does Peja offer? Defense? Rebounding? Statistically he's become a better rebounder since the trade but for a one dimensional player I don't think the price range can be any higher than 7-8 million.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:22 AM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Peja is KVH. I'd gladly sign him if it didnt cost much in the way of talent
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:41 AM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty good comparison, although I think Peja is a better player on both of their best days. Neither of them will ever be accused of being mentally tough.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:55 AM   #16
sike
The Preacha

Paja far....far better than KVH......similar skillset....but not in skill.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:27 AM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Peja is a much better defender and rebounder than most people give him credit for. Not great in either aspect, but above average in both. He's also a much better slasher than people seem to realize. He can't really create his own shot, but he's definitely a LOT more than just a shooter, which is what most people seem to think he is. He's the perfect second option really.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:38 AM   #18
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

So when KVH becomes a free agent do you think Peja will consider coming here for a potential title, wouldnt that firepower be an upgrade to back up Dirk? And it would be funt o have a former King on board. Oh well, I can dream...
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you dream about Dougie Christie too?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #20
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
So when KVH becomes a free agent do you think Peja will consider coming here for a potential title, wouldnt that firepower be an upgrade to back up Dirk? And it would be funt o have a former King on board. Oh well, I can dream...
Even if we let Terry and M'Benga and KVH go, would we have the cap room to sign Peja? And would we move Howard to SG if Peja is at SF? It'd be nice to have a reliable 20+ppg 2nd-scoring option in the starting lineup (no disrespect to Howard).
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #21
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD

[B
Pacers president Larry Bird said in January that the team wants to keep Stojakovic beyond this season.[/B]
"I've been after this kid for two years and I don't want him to be here for two weeks. . . . Hopefully he'll be in a Pacer uniform for a long time to come," Bird said during the news conference to introduce Stojakovic.

Stojakovic said he's interested in remaining with the Pacers.

"I said from the beginning that the Pacers are a great organization," he said. "(CEO) Donnie (Walsh) and Larry are great people. I believe this team has the potential."(...)
he isn't going anywhere. He is a loyall player and will stay right were he is.