Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #81
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
O.J. Mayo led Dallas with 27 points and nearly answered Curry bucket for bucket down the stretch, scoring seven of the Mavericks' last 10 points in regulation and all 11 of their points in the extra session.

Meanwhile Carter didn't even score in the 4th.

To me this is easily as good an example of turning to veterans to a fault as any other. If he needed to justify turning to a new guy in that situation, he could easily have referred to what Mayo had done in the game and in the 4th.
What he did in the OT period is irrelevant to the point I was responding to. As for regulation, the seven of the last 10 bit just means nobody was scoring for Dallas down the stretch, because OJ didn't score a single point in the last four minutes of regulation, all three of his made field goals in the 4th (whoa three baskets in a quarter, look out, he's on fire! /sarcasm) had been assisted, so there wasn't any kind of precedent for him creating his own shot, and he had missed his last two shots of regulation. He was clearly not hot.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 11-30-2012 at 07:23 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #82
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
What he did in the OT period is irrelevant to the point I was responding to. As for regulation, the seven of the last 10 bit just means nobody was scoring for Dallas down the stretch, because OJ didn't score a single point in the last four minutes of regulation, all three of his made field goals in the 4th (whoa three baskets in a quarter, look out, he's on fire! /sarcasm) had been assisted, so there wasn't any kind of precedent for him creating his own shot, and he had missed his last two shots of regulation. He was clearly not hot.
There was only 3 shots made total by both teams in the last 4 mins, especially V.C, who hadn't scored since like the 3 min mark in the 3rd. So who is hot is relative. Who is being focused in on and what is happening defensively comes into play too. The point is regardless what you would consider hot, V.C. was much further from it than OJ was at that time. I don't think it's a stretch for anyone to say Coach favors the veteran in a lot of situations. I can't say I blame him, but in this case I think that he made the wrong decisions *IF* it was to Iso for V.C. and not involve Mayo.

I think most of us agree that the shot Vince ended up settling for wasn't a good decision. He needed to take it to the rack and finish, get to the ft line, or kick it out. We can come up with several different and better options than what ended up happening. Could have used Kaman in an iso there too, to get VC or Mayo a look. Anything but a fadeaway. Most times, I don't even particularly care much for Dirk shooting those at the end of games and there isn't a player better at it. The ref doesn't ever have to make a decision unless it's obvious on that type of last resort play.

We should probably be putting the ball in OJ's hands in those situations anyway to see what he can come up with.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #83
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
There was only 3 shots made total by both teams in the last 4 mins, especially V.C, who hadn't scored since like the 3 min mark in the 3rd. So who is hot is relative. Who is being focused in on and what is happening defensively comes into play too. The point is regardless what you would consider hot, V.C. was much further from it than OJ was at that time. I don't think it's a stretch for anyone to say Coach favors the veteran in a lot of situations. I can't say I blame him, but in this case I think that he made the wrong decisions *IF* it was to Iso for V.C. and not involve Mayo.

I think most of us agree that the shot Vince ended up settling for wasn't a good decision. He needed to take it to the rack and finish, get to the ft line, or kick it out. We can come up with several different and better options than what ended up happening. Could have used Kaman in an iso there too, to get VC or Mayo a look. Anything but a fadeaway. Most times, I don't even particularly care much for Dirk shooting those at the end of games and there isn't a player better at it. The ref doesn't ever have to make a decision unless it's obvious on that type of last resort play.

We should probably be putting the ball in OJ's hands in those situations anyway to see what he can come up with.
While I am in the minority in that I was okay with the play call there, I really wasn't intending to get into that whole debate - which has been hashed out elsewhere - again. My issue with Joshi's post (btw: Joshi, disagreement on this point aside, I've missed your contributions to the forum, and I'm glad to see you posting again), was restricted to the claim that Rick took the ball out of the hot hand. Because to my mind he very clearly did not. Dallas was in that situation in large part because they didn't have a hot hand.

That said, I certainly don't mean to discount what OJ did in that overtime period. He was brilliant, and made a strong case with his play for getting his number called in a situation like that sometime soon.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #84
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

i still remember ex lakers Lamar Odom i hope Fisher won't be play like his friend.

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #85
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Undefeated.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #86
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Undefeated.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #87
dmakk

dmakk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mvp View Post
i still remember ex lakers Lamar Odom i hope Fisher won't be play like his friend.
Don't forger ex-Laker Devean George. I'm wary of him just because of our ex-Laker history.

Last edited by dmakk; 12-02-2012 at 09:16 AM.
dmakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #88
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmakk View Post
Don't forger ex-Laker Devean George. I'm wary of him just because of our ex-Laker history.
he sucked too

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #89
The Ghost of Championship
Banned

The Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mvp View Post

Don't worry about Fisher mailing it in. He's always good when his last paycheck is on the line. That's when he plays well enough to stab his employer in the sack trying to get back into the good graces of Jerry Buss.
The Ghost of Championship is offline   Reply With Quote