Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 12-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future
Default The Thinking Offseason Thread

The Mavs may make the playoffs this year but they have a ceiling with their defense. I have been thinking a lot about the plan we should have in the offseason and I think Cubes is thinking along the same lines of me. If you miss out on the stars you aren't looking at 1 year deals this year. There are many interesting names as second tier free agents, and you can use Marion's expiring as a trade chip, in other words this is the year to build a contender and build for the future at the same time.

Here is my list in order of who I want Mavs to go after, btw if you miss on first 3 the first think you should do is resign Mayo but in absolutley no case do you go the Max, a 4/40 deal seems reasonable.

Free Agent Targets:
1. CP3- I don't care that he is a whiny bitch, he is still hands down the best PG in the game, his passing is incredible (and it is no coincedience that shooters consistently improve when they play with him), and he is a terrific shooter and effecient scorer.
2. Dwight- Even if we don't see the 2008-2010 Dwight again he is still the best center in the game, still a very good defender, that can score and even with the free throws it is efficient.
3. Bynum- There will certainly be a divide with Bynum, but I would take the risk, he is a top 15 player when healthy even if he looks like he isn't trying much.
4. Jefferson- I am not a huge fan but he is a significant upgrade over Kaman, he has improved his passing and defense to where both are passable, and he is good at doing the least efficient thing (post offense) but it still has a lot of value in the context of a workable offense.
5. Smith- These next 2 names are interesting in that they don't fit with the Mavs unless you have a imigination with positions. I think Josh Smith can play the 3 next to Dirk he certainly has the athleticism to guard the 3 and it would help the Mavs rebounding a ton.
6. Evans- I am of the opinion if Evans gets on a team with shooting he will thrive at the 1 or 2 position, with the Mavs presumbly locking up Mayo I would much prefer Tyreke to Collison at the point
7. Jose Calderon- Plays no defense but is one of the best pick n roll PG's in the game, Dirk would help him a ton and he would Dirk some, terrific shooter too.
8. Chauncey Billups- Could be a good efficient stop gap at PG, and help with shooting.
9. Brandon Rush- Would be a very good bench option to back up at the 2/3
10. Nikola Pekovic- A terrific offensive center and rebounder, would have to probably overpay to get him however.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Simple_Like_That

Simple_Like_That is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
The Mavs may make the playoffs this year but they have a ceiling with their defense. I have been thinking a lot about the plan we should have in the offseason and I think Cubes is thinking along the same lines of me. If you miss out on the stars you aren't looking at 1 year deals this year. There are many interesting names as second tier free agents, and you can use Marion's expiring as a trade chip, in other words this is the year to build a contender and build for the future at the same time.

Here is my list in order of who I want Mavs to go after, btw if you miss on first 3 the first think you should do is resign Mayo but in absolutley no case do you go the Max, a 4/40 deal seems reasonable.

Free Agent Targets:
1. CP3- I don't care that he is a whiny bitch, he is still hands down the best PG in the game, his passing is incredible (and it is no coincedience that shooters consistently improve when they play with him), and he is a terrific shooter and effecient scorer.
2. Dwight- Even if we don't see the 2008-2010 Dwight again he is still the best center in the game, still a very good defender, that can score and even with the free throws it is efficient.
3. Bynum- There will certainly be a divide with Bynum, but I would take the risk, he is a top 15 player when healthy even if he looks like he isn't trying much.
4. Jefferson- I am not a huge fan but he is a significant upgrade over Kaman, he has improved his passing and defense to where both are passable, and he is good at doing the least efficient thing (post offense) but it still has a lot of value in the context of a workable offense.
5. Smith- These next 2 names are interesting in that they don't fit with the Mavs unless you have a imigination with positions. I think Josh Smith can play the 3 next to Dirk he certainly has the athleticism to guard the 3 and it would help the Mavs rebounding a ton.
6. Evans- I am of the opinion if Evans gets on a team with shooting he will thrive at the 1 or 2 position, with the Mavs presumbly locking up Mayo I would much prefer Tyreke to Collison at the point
7. Jose Calderon- Plays no defense but is one of the best pick n roll PG's in the game, Dirk would help him a ton and he would Dirk some, terrific shooter too.
8. Chauncey Billups- Could be a good efficient stop gap at PG, and help with shooting.
9. Brandon Rush- Would be a very good bench option to back up at the 2/3
10. Nikola Pekovic- A terrific offensive center and rebounder, would have to probably overpay to get him however.
I like the idea of Evans for you guys if he could play pg... "like a pg"... he would be ideal just because his size would allow he and Oj switch positions on D... the other name that fit most is Dwight but he would cost to much... maybe Jefferson will make more sense if he do not be a expensive option.
Simple_Like_That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

No Howard at the Mavs, thanks!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

And I thought MY offseason thread was ludicrously early!
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

can we stop talking about the offseason til.....i don't know....the OFFSEASON? I mean JESUS CHRIST you guys are ridiculously fickle. And please, don't try to make the argument that this is currently an appropriate topic, because you will only succeed in reducing the minuscule amount of intelligence still somehow afforded to you by other members on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Things in the mirror are closer than they appear.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDirkulous Tyme View Post
can we stop talking about the offseason til.....i don't know....the OFFSEASON? I mean JESUS CHRIST you guys are ridiculously fickle. And please, don't try to make the argument that this is currently an appropriate topic, because you will only succeed in reducing the minuscule amount of intelligence still somehow afforded to you by other members on this board.
The topic is appropiate to whoever wants to discuss it, if you don't that is fine, ignore the thread.

Tags
mavs777 crashes again, premature threadulation