Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 07-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2017 All-Star Game

Quote:
The NBA is on the brink of moving the 2017 All-Star Game out of Charlotte.

North Carolina recently passed a law limiting anti-discrimination protection for gays, lesbians and transgender people.

New Orleans has emerged as the frontrunner to host the game.

The Charlotte Observer expected the All-Star Game to inject $100 million into the economy.

ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI/THE VERTICAL
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/s...92100744568832
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Great move for the NBA. I'm very grateful to have Adam Silver running the show right now.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda weird seeing this thread in July 2016, but here we are...

The worst part is that the people of Charlotte generally voted against the bill -- it was the folks out in the sticks who pushed it through... So basically the people who sided with the NBA's viewpoint are the ones getting punished the most. Nobody wins.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-21-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I generally do not like this. To me, this is the NBA trying to force legislation though revenue/money. The NBA should worry about basketball. Just like actors should worry about acting. The last thing I want to hear from actor receiving an award ( that's a separate topic ) is when they step up to the mic and go on some rant.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
I generally do not like this. To me, this is the NBA trying to force legislation though revenue/money. The NBA should worry about basketball. Just like actors should worry about acting. The last thing I want to hear from actor receiving an award ( that's a separate topic ) is when they step up to the mic and go on some rant.
I tend to disagree. Not to get too political, but in a system where the politicians are beholden to lobbyists and interests other than those of the people they supposedly represent why shouldn't businesses and private citizens with a platform use that platform to speak about issues dear to them? I think it's important for influential people to have their two cents (especially when they make a lot of sense).
Old 07-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I tend to disagree. Not to get too political, but in a system where the politicians are beholden to lobbyists and interests other than those of the people they supposedly represent why shouldn't businesses and private citizens with a platform use that platform to speak about issues dear to them? I think it's important for influential people to have their two cents (especially when they make a lot of sense).
Ok, I get your point but is it right for them to say "either agree with us or we will take away $100 million in revenue for your businesses"? It's one thing to stand in front of mic (which I still don't like) but it's another to say I'm going to take away money from you.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok, I get your point but is it right for them to say "either agree with us or we will take away $100 million in revenue for your businesses"? It's one thing to stand in front of mic (which I still don't like) but it's another to say I'm going to take away money from you.
I think you have to speak in terms politicians understand ($$$). Back in the 1960s Coca-Cola threatened to leave Atlanta when social-conservatives refused to attend an integrated dinner honoring MLK Jr. for his Nobel Peace Prize. I'm personally happy to see progressive institutions throw their weight around. Lord knows the Koch brothers have their say.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswit...-social-change
Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"No shirt, no shoes, no business."

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Got to disagree, especially the part about actors worry about acting. No one tells you to worry about whatever job you have to ONLY worry about that job. We can all have causes we believe in. If you have a voice people listen to, why not speak up for what you believe in.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
MavzMan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Got to disagree, especially the part about actors worry about acting. No one tells you to worry about whatever job you have to ONLY worry about that job. We can all have causes we believe in. If you have a voice people listen to, why not speak up for what you believe in.
Yes, I agree 100% with you on that ... with the exception that it is done at the correct time. For example, and I'm taking this to the extreme, if every single actor that receives an award comes up to the podium and spends the first 30 seconds of their speech talking about their cause, it becomes a beat down. That is not the time/place. I want to hear them thank their friends, family and fans while shedding a few tears. If Angelina Jolie wants to be the ambassador for UNHCR, I applaud that and have a deep respect that she uses her time, money, and position to help.

Last edited by MavzMan; 07-26-2016 at 03:44 PM.