Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #201
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default I swear to God, soccer is f.u.b.a.r. ........

Soccer: outrage over Materazzi ban Sentence described as "scandalous", "incitement to violence" See also: "Soccer: Materazzi banned for taunt" .

(ANSA) - Rome, July 20 - FIFA's decision to ban Azzurri star Marco Materazzi for provoking France's Zinedine Zidane during the World Cup final caused outrage in Italy Thursday .

FIFA's disciplinary committee banned the defender for two games - just one match less than Zidane, whose head-butt into Materazzi's chest earned him a red card eight minutes from the end of extra time .

Materazzi admitted insulting Zidane's sister before the incident took place .

"It's a scandalous ruling," said AC Milan captain and former Azzurri great Paolo Maldini .

"It is scandalous that a player should be banned for saying something .

"It is the first time that something like this has happened. It is just because Materazzi is Italian and they want to justify the gesture of a great champion who, however, did wrong" .

Green party MP Angelo Bonelli described it as a "head-butt to Italian sport" .

"Putting Materazzi's words on the same level as Zidane's violent, dangerous reaction is a terrible message to the public and, above all, to the young people of the world," he said .

Communist Refoundation MP Pietro Folena said the decision was an "incitement to violence" .

The player's father, Giuseppe Materazzi, said it established a "dangerous precedent" .

Bonelli's Green party colleague Paolo Cento also complained that FIFA had been disproportionately harsh on the Inter Milan stopper .

"No matter what Materazzi said to Zidane, the punishments given to the two players should have been very different," said Cento. "It seems to me that they are rather similar." Sergio Campana, the president of the Italian professional footballers' association, agreed .

"It would have been fairer to have given a five-match ban to Zidane and one game to Materazzi," he said, recalling that Italy midfielder Daniele De Rossi was banned for four games for violent conduct at Germany 2006 .

Campana also pointed out that when Italy star Francesco Totti was banned for four matches at Euro 2004, the provocation of Denmark's Christian Poulsen was not taken into account. Italian Soccer Federation Emergency Supremo Guido Rossi said the ruling would be "respected" by his organization. But he also stressed that the worldwide public had formed its opinion on the basis of the television images of Zidane's head-butt .
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #202
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just what the european union's constitution would have been.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #203
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Zidane to do community service for World Cup head butt. Materazzi penalized also

By ERNST E. ABEGG, Associated Press Writer
July 20, 2006

ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) -- Zinedine Zidane will perform community service as penance for his infamous head butt on Marco Materazzi in the World Cup final. Materazzi didn't get off unscathed, either.

The French midfielder, voted the best player in the championships, also was fined $6,000 by FIFA on Thursday and agreed to work with children in lieu of a three-game suspension. The penalty is irrelevant because at 34, Zidane has retired from soccer.

Materazzi, the Italian defender who provoked the head butt by insulting Zidane, was suspended for two games and fined $4,000.

Italy went on to win its fourth World Cup, 5-3, on penalties after a 1-1 extra-time draw.

"Community service is not something foreseen in the regulations," said Andreas Herren, a spokesman for soccer's governing body. "It is a gesture, given the special circumstances involved."

Zidane has said he attacked Materazzi because he insulted his mother and sister. Materazzi denied disparaging Zidane's mother.

FIFA said Materazzi was punished for "repeatedly provoking Zidane."

"Both players stressed that Materazzi's comments had been defamatory but not of a racist nature," FIFA said in a statement.

The players apologized to FIFA for "their inappropriate behavior and expressed their regret at the incident," FIFA said.

Materazzi will miss Italy's opening two Euro 2008 qualifiers against Lithuania on Sept. 2 and France on Sept. 6.

The president of France's soccer federation, Jean-Pierre Escalettes, was satisfied, saying Zidane's "way of paying the penalty is perhaps the best that we could imagine."

"It was intelligent, measured and reasonable. It shows knowledge of the world of football," Escalettes said. "It's a verdict that satisfies me. The provoker of the incident has been punished."

Zidane, who had already submitted written testimony, spent about 90 minutes in a private hearing Thursday morning before a five-man FIFA committee. Materazzi appeared before the FIFA panel last week.

"We respect the definitive verdict by FIFA's disciplinary commission," Italian soccer federation commissioner Guido Rossi said. "But the episode was captured on television and (any opinion) is up to the judgment of people throughout the world."

Former Italy captain Paolo Maldini said it was "scandalous to ban a player for having said something."

"It's the first time that it's happened and it's only because Materazzi is Italian and because they want to justify the gesture of a great champion, who made a mistake," he said at AC Milan's training camp.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter had suggested Zidane, widely considered one of the greatest players of his generation, could be stripped of his Golden Ball award as the World Cup's best player. The issue was not addressed by the disciplinary panel, FIFA said.

In a French television appearance last week, Zidane apologized to children who watched the match, but said he didn't regret his actions because he was provoked by repeated harsh insults about his family.

Playing in extra time in his farewell game, Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words as the two walked up field. Zidane appeared to be distancing himself from the Italian, but then turned, lowered his bald head, and drove it into Materazzi's chest -- knocking him to the ground.

The Italian soccer federation said it hasn't decided yet whether to appeal the decision on Materazzi.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #204
pickupyonuts

pickupyonuts will become famous soon enoughpickupyonuts will become famous soon enough

bullshit that materazzi got suspended.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:53 AM   #205
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickupyonuts
bullshit that materazzi got suspended.
I agree. Trash talking is a part of sports. Grown professional athletes do it, and Im sure we all remember doing it when we were very young as well.

I grew up playing hockey,and the amount of trash talking that gets done at a face off circle is amazing.

Zidane needs to learn how to man up and not react....ooops too late now.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #206
pickupyonuts

pickupyonuts will become famous soon enoughpickupyonuts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I agree. Trash talking is a part of sports. Grown professional athletes do it, and Im sure we all remember doing it when we were very young as well.

I grew up playing hockey,and the amount of trash talking that gets done at a face off circle is amazing.

Zidane needs to learn how to man up and not react....ooops too late now.

exactly. people say this is zidanes first incedent. but its not. he has headbutted someone in the past. i say worse stuff to guys i play against and i dont' get smacked in the chest.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #207
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
exactly. people say this is zidanes first incedent. but its not. he has headbutted someone in the past. i say worse stuff to guys i play against and i dont' get smacked in the chest.
I hope someday you'll meet the right oponnent and he'll smack you as hard as he can.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #208
pickupyonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne
I hope someday you'll meet the right oponnent and he'll smack you as hard as he can.
yeah, i hope that too. if that happens that means i got in his head and he will be given a red card. that woul dbe very sad for me....
Old 07-27-2006, 05:44 AM   #209
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

ITALIA!!!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:29 AM   #210
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
yeah, i hope that too. if that happens that means i got in his head and he will be given a red card. that woul dbe very sad for me....
And I hope that he'll knock you out big time, so that you'll come to conscience only a week afterwards...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote