Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default Will the mavs average 100 points this year?

The offseason has been primarily about defense(diop, christie) so what do you guys think? Avery keeps going on and on about system and vision. Obviously, he's trying to copy the spurs' model, and they(spurs) are quite happy to keep the score around 90 points.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: [POLL]Will the mavs average 100 points this year?

Dirk's teams don't average below 100points.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I very seriously doubt it, because I expect they will push alot less now, and go to more of a deliberate offense.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #4
MrCheerios

MrCheerios is on a distinguished road

They must exert their energy where it counts: on the defensive end. The spurs and pistons don't average 100 and they don't need to. Be fresh to make stops. I feel sorry for teams that average 100 because it's that much harder make key stops in the playoffs when you're so focused on offense.
MrCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:49 PM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Yes - but we're not one of a kind. Phoenix and Miami will avg 100+. Seattle, Sac, and some other teams will be close or above 100 too.

Knowing Terry's weaknesses, AJ will try to maximize our transition game.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

Miami won't be able to score 100 they have too many people who need shots which will lead to a meltdown.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road

i think we will
Old 08-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

better poll: "Will the Mavs be top 10 defensive team this year?"

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:50 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Better yet: how many points will they outscore the opposition by? That's all that really matters.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:54 PM   #10
MrCheerios

MrCheerios is on a distinguished road
Default RE:[POLL]Will the mavs average 100 points this year?

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
better poll: "Will the Mavs be top 10 defensive team this year?"
That's a much more important question and the answer is yes.
MrCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:03 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't think so. The team 3pt% has probably dropped a couple of percent. Probably from 6th in the league to about 12th.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:24 PM   #12
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Yes - but we're not one of a kind. Phoenix and Miami will avg 100+. Seattle, Sac, and some other teams will be close or above 100 too.

Knowing Terry's weaknesses, AJ will try to maximize our transition game.
Yeah, one of a kind as in -- be a solid defensive team, maybe a notch or two below the spurs/pistons and continue to be a great offensive team. Sorry, should've been more clear there.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #13
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

if our halfcourt offense isnt great we might not have another choice
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:52 PM   #14
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm supremely confident that our half-court offense will be much better than it was last-season. I think Christie's passing and AJ's imprint will make the team function much more smoothely.

To answer the poll question though, no, I don't think we'll average 100. I do think we'll win more games though.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:08 PM   #15
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: cheesestar
Well, we should see a lot more slashing to the basket and posting up to get good position, so that should help our halfcourt significantly. If Dirk can post up better and our slashers are doing their thing, then that should free up some players for some open J's. I wouldn't mind seeing Terry get tons of open looks.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:25 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Hell no. This is AJ's team not Nellie's. Say bye to our beloved run and gun system that we all have come ot love. I see us scoring in the range of 90-95 a game this season. Hopefully our opponents are putting up in the 80-85 range. Its rare for half court teams in this league to put up 100 a game. Actually I don't even believe there are any that dude. Did the Heat put up 100 a game?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:12 AM   #17
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

If Christie starts, no.
If Stackhouse starts, maybe.

With that being said, I want Christie to start.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #18
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

I don't think so.
I expect we will average somewhere in the 94-96 range and hold opponents to less than 92.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:47 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to assume that avery's system is the same as san antoino's system since that's really the only one he's familiar with. So I would expect our scoring to begin to move towards san antoinios level. The differential may go up as we keep the other team lower.

San Antonio was 18th at 96.9 points. I would expect us to come in around 98 as we will be forced to score more to win. Avery may have a system, but when we get down by 10 points, he's still going to want to put in some scorers. Maybe he'll be able to resist, but I don't see him quite as confident as he talks like.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #20
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

100? Yes, because we won't be able to stop ourselves from doing so, we're too good, still, on offense.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:44 PM   #21
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

If we could just find someone who can put up 16 points a game to replace finley's game...... why not?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:47 PM   #22
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
If we could just find someone who can put up 16 points a game to replace finley's game...... why not?
Josh Howard
Old 08-22-2005, 12:36 PM   #23
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
Quote:
Josh Howard
16 more than he got last year? I'm doubting he does that.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #24
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Some Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
Quote:
Josh Howard
16 more than he got last year? I'm doubting he does that.
No, he won't. I'm saying he'll average 16 or more by himself, I think. So what are you implying, anyway? Sure, Christie's not the scorer Finley is, but are you saying that he's going to average 0.0 ppg?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:18 PM   #25
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

I'm not implying anything. Just saying that Josh by himself won't make up for Finley, which appeared to be your solution.

If you are saying that Josh can make up for the difference between Finley and Christie (not the "16 points a game" that berrnardos70 mentioned), then I guess that is possible.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:27 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure how much better Josh can be than he was last season. I think he played very well. Certainly there is room to project him upward, but to increase his averages significantly, which is the implication here, may not be realistic. I think it is much more likely for Jason Terry to see increased stats as he will take many of Fin's old shots and probably will get an assist or two more when he doesn't shoot.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:08 PM   #27
echo

echo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I'm not sure how much better Josh can be than he was last season. I think he played very well. Certainly there is room to project him upward, but to increase his averages significantly, which is the implication here, may not be realistic. I think it is much more likely for Jason Terry to see increased stats as he will take many of Fin's old shots and probably will get an assist or two more when he doesn't shoot.

Josh averaged 15.5 points in the playoffs on 50.5% shooting so I think around 15 ppg is realistic for him. That said I agree that Terry is the most likely beneficiary of Fin's departure. I expect him to average 16 or 17 ppg this year. I think Christie is in the 7-8 ppg range.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #28
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

I just want to stick up for my man Stack here. I know he's got plenty of negatives, but he did once lead the league in total points. If he gets 30 minutes off the bench he'll put points on the board.

As to the question at hand, I don't think we'll make 100 ppg, but close to it. We won't be a purely half-court team. I'd expect about 98-99 points per, with about a +6-7 differential.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:44 PM   #29
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

and KVH.. dont forget KVH

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote