Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Official Dirk is Great Thread

Sometimes you just need a place to put dirk is great stuff at.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=7872
Quote:
So what player was the biggest eye opener for you?

"Definitely Dirk Nowitzki. He's just unstoppable. You think he won't post up, but then he posts up. So you guard off him to keep him off the block and he pulls up and shoots a three. His talent is just amazing. He really is as good as people say he is."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by Underdog; 04-09-2016 at 02:35 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is great, And I'm sorry and no racism is intended here but If Dirk was a black man he would be called one of the greatest of all-time imo. But since he is a tall white guy from germany he is called soft and weak and a choker. I don't care though because I expect Dirk to lift the Larry O'brien trophy in front of all of the people who criticize him.

Last edited by LSMF; 03-17-2008 at 07:11 PM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Thread-worthy?

An emphatic YES!

Quote:
"Having some amazing teammates to share that ride with me, and some amazing coaches, they always gave me confidence. My first year, I didn't play much, but the fans were always great to me. They've shown me a lot of love. Really, I'm happy to be a Maverick." -Dirk Nowitzki
Is "nowitzki" the German word for "humble"?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-17-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

yeah...i'm totally gay for dirk.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan
Dirk is great, And I'm sorry and no racism is intended here but If Dirk was a black man he would be called one of the greatest of all-time. But since he is a tall white guy from germany he is called soft and weak and a choker. I don't care though because I expect Dirk to lift the Larry O'brien trophy in front of all of the people who criticize him.
Unfortuantely you are right about every all of that. How people conveniently forget all the great things he does, and single out minuscle mistakes is amazing to me.

I was reading ok lakerground.net a couple of weeks ago that Melo was more clutch than Dirk. Yes, that Melo that has yet to win a first round series. Why? Because last year he hit two clutch jumpers. While the countless that Dirk has hit are always forgotten.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

One of the top 10 greatest power forwards of all time? I could argue for that, the man is a revolutionary.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

All Hail....I'm in the opinion that Dirk is having his best season yet. I say that because I think his defense and passing have both improved fairly dramatically this season. He also looks the strongest that I can remember.

Def top 10 pf of all time.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity
Unfortuantely you are right about every all of that. How people conveniently forget all the great things he does, and single out minuscle mistakes is amazing to me.

I was reading ok lakerground.net a couple of weeks ago that Melo was more clutch than Dirk. Yes, that Melo that has yet to win a first round series. Why? Because last year he hit two clutch jumpers. While the countless that Dirk has hit are always forgotten.
It's really messed up the things that have been said about Dirk, if Dirk was the one who shot 97 freethrows against the Miami cheat I bet you everyone would have said the series was rigged and everything but since it was Wade people will just say "Dirk is a choker". It's not fair and that is why I say the Mavs must crush the whole Nba. And then I want to see Dirk win the championship, That way all of the troubles Dirk went through in his time in the Nba will not be in vain. And the great thing really is that it is very possible for Dirk to climb the mountain(Rings!) very soon hopefully.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is great, but it took me a while to get over this picture...

Here is the picture that won me back!!!

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 03-17-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart

Damn that's european.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Don't ever post this again... Ever!

As a matter of fact, could someone make a virus that can delete this pic from every hard drive on the planet?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #12
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely top 10 if there are other PF's in history in that mix that haven't won it all.

If there aren't, then as much as I hate to say it, I don't believe Dirk deserve to be in there.

However, if we were ever to win a championship, Dirk skyrockets into a debate for being the GREATEST of all time imho.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Definitely top 10 if there are other PF's in history in that mix that haven't won it all.

If there aren't, then as much as I hate to say it, I don't believe Dirk deserve to be in there.

However, if we were ever to win a championship, Dirk skyrockets into a debate for being the GREATEST of all time imho.
Dirk is never going to be considered the greatest PF because of his defense. You have to be great at both ends to be the greatest.

However, having a title is certainly not a prereq for being a great at your position. At PF that is certainly true, as Malone and Barkley would probably be in just about anyone's top 5 PF's of all time.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-17-2008 at 12:11 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

You have to put Malone in the top ten and he's never won a championship, I know a lot of people see KG's name in there too... Barkley? Yeah, Dirk has to be on that list.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
One of the top 10 greatest power forwards of all time? I could argue for that, the man is a revolutionary.
uh...how about top 5 when all is said and done. I'm sure the numbers will back that up.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Dirk is never going to be considered the greatest PF because of his defense. You have to be great at both ends to be the greatest.

However, having a title is certainly not a prereq for being a great at your position. At PF that is certainly true, as Malone and Barkley would probably be in just about anyone's top 5 PF's of all time.
Yeah, even if Dirk ends up winning a championship or two before he's done, he will probably end up being remembered as a kind of 'asterisk' greatest ever player. The 'Greatest' European or foreign player ever, or perhaps the 'Greatest' shooting power forward. He will definitely finish as one of the top five greatest to have ever played the PF position though...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 03-17-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Me love Dirk.

Most efficent superstar ever.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

not in order...Duncan, Barkley, Malone, Dirk, KG....projecting stats...who would you guys put in here that would bump Dirk?? Moses?...McKale?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #19
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
Yeah, even if Dirk ends up winning a championship or two before he's done, he will probably end up being remembered as a kind of 'asterisk' greatest ever player. The 'Greatest' European or foreign player ever, or perhaps the 'Greatest' shooting power forward. He will definitely finish as one of the top five greatest to have ever played the PF position though...
Greatest European is in the bag.

Great foreign player is difficult to define. If Hakeem counts, Dirk isn't touching him I don't think.

If it's greatest foreign born that didn't attend an American college...you probably have a discussion there, I think.

If he wins a title, he will be in a lot of conversations as top 5 PF of all time, I think.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 03-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
not in order...Duncan, Barkley, Malone, Dirk, KG....projecting stats...who would you guys put in here that would bump Dirk?? Moses?...McKale?
McHale and Bob Pettit would be the next two names most people would bring up, I think.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
McHale and Bob Pettit would be the next two names most people would bring up, I think.
Give me Dirk...McHale was a second banana his entire career....which has to discount him to some degree in my book...

Pettit's career stats are insane....

Old 03-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #22
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I pooed my pants when he obliterated Phoenix in the 2006 playoffs by himself. The article the next day: Deliverance.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I pooed my pants when he obliterated Phoenix in the 2006 playoffs by himself. The article the next day: Deliverance.
be quiet....you had me at 50pt game in the playoffs

Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #24
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Quote:
uh...how about top 5 when all is said and done. I'm sure the numbers will back that up.
I would probably put Duncan, Malone, Barkley, Pettit, and Mchale ahead of Dirk as of now. As of June 2, 2005 the experts apparently had Dirk at #10.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2074360

I still think it's crazy Garnett is ahead of Dirk... and I think it's even more crazy people would still put him ahead of Dirk. He's done nothing more than Dirk has in his career. We'll see how it plays out but ideally I would like to think him being a revolutionary at the 4 would move him up higher on the list as well as being hands down the best European player.

Mchale gets the nod because of his championships, I know it's not a prerequisite to be on the list but if Dirk was in his position he would also be a second banana. Can't fault him for that, especially with three championships (more than Dirk, Garnett, Barkley, Pettit, Hayes, and Malone combined... wow).
Old 03-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

Dirk would not be second fiddle to Kidd...Kidd is the support of Dirk...not the other way around. I agree that the media would present it as Kidd then Dirk...but that is bc they love Kidd and dislike Dirk. Dirk is the #1 on this team...don't loose sight of that.

if they win a ring...it will be on Dirk's back. McHale is clearly a second banana to Bird though.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #26
sike
The Preacha

Dirk's offense is more superior to KG's offense than KG's defense is superior to Dirk's defense in my opinion.

Dirk is the greater threat to an opponent...

Old 03-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #27
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Quote:
Dirk would not be second fiddle to Kidd...Kidd is the support of Dirk...not the other way around. I agree that the media would present it as Kidd then Dirk...but that is bc they love Kidd and dislike Dirk. Dirk is the #1 on this team...don't loose sight of that.

if they win a ring...it will be on Dirk's back. McHale is clearly a second banana to Bird though.
Jason Kidd about Dirk:
Quote:
“He’s one of the top players in this league. He’s the MVP. It shows his ability to play at a high level and when you have guys like that on a team, it brings everybody up to another level. Being around him, I can only hope that rubs off on me and he can elevate my game to another level.”

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #28
Tokey41
Platinum Member

I meant if Dirk was on that Celtics team with Bird, I agree this is still Dirks team no question. You can't fault Mchale for being on a team with a superior player when it produces three championships, the same would be true of Dirk. Clearly the analysts did fault him a bit for being a second banana since Barkley and Malone (0 rings) are higher.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #29
sike
The Preacha

McHale is not the player we know today if he doesn't have Bird drawing all that attention...Dirk has done everything in his career as the #1 (after the first couple years of his career)

Last edited by sike; 03-17-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #30
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

if a person isn't going to put Dirk in the top 10 because his d is too weak, then that person ought to think twice about Malone as well. I never thought he was anything special on the other end of the court.

and barkley too -- talked a big game, but Dirk would have lit him up for 75 points a game if he had barkley guarding him..
Old 03-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #31
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan
Dirk is great, And I'm sorry and no racism is intended here but If Dirk was a black man he would be called one of the greatest of all-time. But since he is a tall white guy from germany he is called soft and weak and a choker. I don't care though because I expect Dirk to lift the Larry O'brien trophy in front of all of the people who criticize him.
wow...

you really are suffering aren't you?

get a grip on reality you idiot
Old 03-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #32
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

There's a man who's great, his name is Dirk
He makes you look like a jirk
on the court
he'll make your momma wish she had abort
ed you
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #33
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
if a person isn't going to put Dirk in the top 10 because his d is too weak, then that person ought to think twice about Malone as well. I never thought he was anything special on the other end of the court.

and barkley too -- talked a big game, but Dirk would have lit him up for 75 points a game if he had barkley guarding him..
Dirk was a rather weak defensive player the first 5 years of his career...but these last couple years his defensive improvement has gone largely unnoticed...but his is a vastly improved defensive player.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #34
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Yah, I also don't believe that the way he is viewed has anything to with his race.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #35
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Yah, I also don't believe that the way he is viewed has anything to with his race.
at the risk of sounding off putting and very un-pc....I'd tap the breaks on that one.

people don't like Dirk...there IS a reason other than his game. Maybe its his foreign blood....but there is something.

Last edited by sike; 03-17-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #36
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk was a rather weak defensive player the first 5 years of his career...but these last couple years his defensive improvement has gone largely unnoticed...but his is a vastly improved defensive player.
yeah -- he's got Karl Malone's only defensive move, a strip, and a lot on top of that.

it really struck me in the Nets game last week just how much the mavs had missed dirk's defense in the previous game v. the rockets.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #37
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
yeah -- he's got Karl Malone's only defensive move, a strip, and a lot on top of that.

it really struck me in the Nets game last week just how much the mavs had missed dirk's defense in the previous game v. the rockets.
he is solid off the ball, solid blocking shots, solid man on man....not great...but I think more than passable...he might even be nudging closer and closer to a "good" defender.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #38
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
at the risk of sounding off putting and very un-pc....I'd tap the breaks on that one.

people don't like Dirk...there IS a reason other than his game. Maybe its his foreign blood....but there is something.
the last 3 MVP's have been white and foreign born

our previous #1 non-white seemingly anti-Dirk voice, Charles Barkley, has long since changed his stance on the MVP Dirk and pretty much admitted that his on-tv persona is just that.. an on-tv persona

got anything else?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #39
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

The image in most people's head will be of Lebron monster dunking over Dirk at the all-star game in the closing minutes, not giving him any credit for any thing else he's done defensively.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 03-17-2008 at 02:01 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #40
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Agree, word to that. Barkley got dunked on by Dirk when he was like 17 years old. Look it up on youtube.

Also, add to the defensive arguement, he's a more than capable defensive rebounder.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 12-15 for 48 points, 3/25m - wow!, clutch nowitzki, clutchwitzki, dir30k, dirk, dirk = clutch...again, dirk goes to 11, dirk is my religion, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, dirk tea baggzz nba!!!!!, gay for dirk!!!, his clutchness, his hairness ?, playoff clutch, santa dirk, sir ghost face drillah, top-10 all time scorer, top-6 all time scorer