Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-22-2004, 11:06 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Man Accused of Throwing Beer Has a Long Criminal History

Report: Fan In White Hat Has Criminal History

Man Accused Of Throwing First Cup Speaks To Police

POSTED: 7:50 am EST November 22, 2004

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Police continue to identify all of the fans involved in Friday night's brawl at The Palace of Auburn Hills, while the man accused of throwing the cup that sparked the incident speaks to Local 4.

Police have identified this fan -- believed to have thrown the first beer at the Indiana Pacers' Ron Artest -- as John Green, of West Bloomfield.

John Green, of West Bloomfield, was caught on tape throwing his cup of beer onto Indiana Pacers player Ron Artest, Local 4 reported. The act sent Artest into a rage in the stands, where players and fans then fought during the game between the Pistons and the Pacers.

Local 4 learned that Green has a criminal history, which includes the following offenses:

2003 -- Operating under the influence of liquor/operating while visibly impaired (second offense)
1989 -- Assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder
1989 -- Escape from prison
1986 -- Carrying concealed weapons
1986 -- Uttering and publishing, which is using a false, forged, altered or counterfeit record, deed or instrument to injure or defraud.

Green initially said he had no comment to Local 4, but eventually talked with the station Monday morning outside his West Bloomfield home, saying, "I'm not going anywhere. The police know where I live. I've talked to them already."

(Hear What John Green Has To Say)

Green was identified over the weekend as "the fan in the white hat" who apparently threw the plastic cup of beer while Artest was sprawled on his back on a scorer's table, away from a scuffle on the court. Artest then jumped up and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Green stepped aside and another person took the initial blow. The tape of Friday's fight then shows Green attacking Artest from behind.

Green was expected to speak with Auburn Hills police Sunday night, but did not appear, the station reported.

"I think that's what escalated the whole situation. We're certainly wanting to interview that individual. That individual knows who he is. I suggest he should turn himself in to be questioned by the Auburn Hills Police Department," said Oakland County Prosecutor David Gorcyca. "If he doesn't, I can assure you we will locate him."

Authorities were able to locate Green and have questioned him regarding the incident, Local 4 learned Monday. Green could face charges and lose his season tickets at The Palace, the station reported.

Gorcyca said the investigation will begin with Green, but the prosecutor's office is expected to announce charges against 25 to 50 other fans who participated in the fight at The Palace.

Gorcyca said anyone who threw a cup or a punch -- including players and fans -- could face criminal charges.

"The throwing of an object and striking someone constitutes an assault," said Gorcyca.

One fan in particular that police want to identify is the person who threw a chair into the crowd. Police are reviewing video from a fan who snuck a camera into the game, Local 4 reported.

Police have interviewed nine witnesses who claimed that they were assaulted by one of the Pacers, Local 4 reported Monday. Investigators continue to review video to identify others involved in the brawl.

Witness Joe Hampton said he is a season-ticket holder and was about 10 rows away from the incident Friday.

"I didn't have the instinct necessarily to take off. It's just so shocking. You just kind of freeze," said Hampton. "This happened fast and it was just kind of surreal."

Authorities are trying to confirm witness information with video of the incident.

NBA security is also reviewing the tapes and plan to speak with officials at The Palace about security measures.

NBA Players' Union To Appeal Suspensions

The suspensions given to players following Friday night's incident at the Indiana Pacers-Detroit Pistons game are expected to be appealed by the NBA players' union Monday.

NBA Commissioner David Stern suspended Pacers forward Ron Artest for the remainder of the season.

The NBA levied the stiffest penalties on three members of the Indiana Pacers. Overall, nine players from the teams were banned for 143 games. Artest is the first player to be suspended for nearly an entire season for a fight during a game.

The suspended Pistons sat out Sunday night's game between Detroit and the Charlotte Bobcats.

Detroit Channel 4 Link
Old 11-22-2004, 11:50 PM   #2
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Man Accused of Throwing Beer at Artest Has a Long Criminal History

It must be comforting for some that atleast he`was not an evil millionaire ball player
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:59 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Man Accused of Throwing Beer at Artest Has a Long Criminal History

Quote:
It must be comforting for some that atleast he`was not an evil millionaire ball player
Oh, get over yourself. I see two things worth noting from this. One is that these revelations only make it more likely that the guy will be severely punished from being a dumbass. The second is that perhaps in a year or two after Artest is prosecuted for physically assaulting an innocent man he and John can compare rap sheets over a suprevised, beer-free game in the rec-yard.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like artest..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:05 AM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Any arrest record for the guy Artest actually punched?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:06 AM   #6
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

I guess David Stern will ban Rap next.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:10 AM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

No three strikes law in Michigan?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:25 AM   #8
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Beer sales were restricted years ago in Dallas after I think the beginning of the fourth quarter, which leads me to believe they already saw the problem and where making an attempt to show restraint but not cut too much into the profit margin. It's simple as I see it, any fan that threw anything, the seat is revoked, no compensation, permantly. And beer sales stop at half time. or don't sell it at all.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:26 AM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

So, this piece of trash has three DUI convictions, and a condition of his parole is that he not drink alchohol? And the dude told the press he didn't throw that beer, although video reveals that he did? I really, truly hope this guy gets sent back to prison for his despicable behavior last Friday night...

Fan who threw cup has criminal convictions

ESPN.com news services

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Investigators interviewed nine people injured in the brawl at the end of the Pistons-Pacers game, but no charges were imminent in the case, the county prosecutor said Monday.

Police were also reviewing videotapes and interviewing witnesses from Friday night's melee, when Indiana forward Ron Artest charged into the stands after a fan threw a cup at him.

John Green of West Bloomfield Township was identified as the fan who threw the cup at Artest, said David Gorcyca, the Oakland County prosecutor. The Detroit Free Press reported late Monday that Green has several criminal convictions, including felony assault with intent to do great bodily harm. Green has three drunken-driving convictions, and Gorcyca said a condition of Green's probation was that he not drink alcohol.

Auburn Hills police told the Free Press that they are also asking the public to help identify a man who was caught on tape throwing a chair. Police say the chair hit several people, including a police officer. Authorities plan to release a picture on Tuesday of the man taken from video of the melee.

Gorcyca told the Free Press that charges will not be filed this week but are likely. If charges are filed, they would probably be for assault and battery, a misdemeanor that could bring a three-month jail sentence, said Gorcyca. The only possible felony charge could be against the person who threw the chair.

Police chief Doreen Olko said none of the people involved was seriously injured.

Asked if Artest could claim self-defense, Gorcyca said: "Even if someone did throw water, you don't have a license or a green light to punch them."

The prosecutor identified Green -- a former next-door neighbor -- by repeatedly watching footage of the brawl. He said footage showed that once Artest was in the stands, Green grabbed him from behind and sucker-punched him.

Green, however, told reporters he didn't throw the cup. [Evilmav Note: So he is lying to the press]

"I wish the whole thing didn't happen," he said. "I'm sure the NBA players that got involved in it wish it never happened, the fans never wished that it had happened. I know I don't. It was awful, it was ugly."

Speaking to reporters with his attorney present Monday, Green neither confirmed nor denied he threw the cup. Green said he doesn't remember what happened during the brawl because it all happened so fast. He added that whatever is on the video in the authorities' possession is what happened. There is video showing him throwing the cup.

Pistons chief executive Tom Wilson said Green is a season ticket-holder and will be banned from The Palace.

On Sunday, the NBA suspended Artest for the rest of the season. The league also suspended Indiana's Stephen Jackson for 30 games and teammate Jermaine O'Neal for 25. Detroit's Ben Wallace -- whose shove of Artest after a foul led to the five-minute fracas -- drew a six-game ban, while Pacers guard Anthony Johnson got five games.

Four players -- Indiana's Reggie Miller and Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman -- were suspended one game apiece for leaving the bench during the initial fight.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:58 AM   #10
Kat

"Green said he doesn't remember what happened during the brawl because it all happened so fast"

Was that before he threw the cup or after, when he found himself pizzin hiz pants when he saw two men each twice his size coming at him when he thought he was protected by his $475.00 tickets?
Old 11-23-2004, 01:02 AM   #11
Kat

I have no sympathy for him..........................and I do not apologize for it. I sat next to his cousin for years.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:33 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
It wouldn't matter. All that guy did was stand there while another fan incited the players. He was viciously assualted for just being there.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:58 AM   #13
harsh euro barge

harsh euro barge will become famous soon enoughharsh euro barge will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Apparently the guy was a known heckler who went after players hard. He's nearly been altercations before.

Of course, it doesn't make Artest any better for attacking the guy....
harsh euro barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #14
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

nuts in the stands, nuts on the court.

What's next? Background checks for fans? I don't think so. This Green fellow screwed up and will probably get thrown in the slammer for his actions. However, the Pistons surely didn't know the man was unstable and a threat to players when they sold him his ticket. The Pacers, however, knew exactly what kind of man Artest was, and they didn't have any problem letting the wacko on the court. It is appropriate that the Pacer organization, who knowingly and willingly let a violent mentally handicapped fruitcake represent their franchise, are now facing penalties for their neglegence.

The Pistons and the city of Detroit appear to be acting swiftly to punish this man after his first known offense. I also anticipate that the organization will take the appropriate measures to ensure that nothing like this ever happens at the Palace again.

Can we expect the same reaction out of the Pacers, their fans and their organization? Apparently not.

They've made excuses for Artest for years. Nothing's stopping them now. Even when the rest of the world is beginning to think this franchise is a morally bankrupt disgrace to the NBA.. you won't hear any condmenation from Pacer fans. Just the normal shifting of blame.

Shift Shift Shift. What a dishonorable response. Fitting for such a dishonorable franchise.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:13 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

very nice post, Madape.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:25 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: harsh euro barge
Quote:

Apparently the guy was a known heckler who went after players hard. He's nearly been altercations before.

Is this your idle speculation? I've seen nothing that indicates this anywhere. But to be honest, it does not matter. The guy was obviously just standing there when he was assaulted by a coward.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:26 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Nice post ape.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:34 PM   #18
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Wow, Ape, you don't back down from stating the truth do ya? *stinging*

I guess loyalty can make us blind sometimes. We refuse to see that our team, our friend, our relative, our whoever can do any wrong.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #19
harsh euro barge

harsh euro barge will become famous soon enoughharsh euro barge will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: harsh euro barge
Quote:

Is this your idle speculation? I've seen nothing that indicates this anywhere. But to be honest, it does not matter. The guy was obviously just standing there when he was assaulted by a coward.
Some credible Pistons fans (on another board) immediately recognized the guy Artest attacked , and knew how he was at games.

But you're right, Artest had absolutely no right going after the fan in the first place
harsh euro barge is offline   Reply With Quote