Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-23-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life is on a distinguished road
Default Ron Artest on the Today Show

Yep, he raided Katie Couric and beat the hell out of Matt Lauer.

J/K. Here's the the psycho from the East.

Here's the psycho
Old 11-23-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Ron Artest on the Today Show

Not only does he exhibit signs of mental illness, based on this interview, I would recommend follow-up examination for further evidence of developmental disability.

He smiles inappropriately and displays inappropriate affect during the interview, and a fundamental lack of appropriate interpersonal skills, constantly interrupting and talking over Lauer.

He displays limited language ability and evidence of attention deficit disorder.

He can not answer simple questions about himself ("Ron, in your opinion what would have been a fair punishment based on what happened?").

He can not maintain the thread of the conversation and frequently changes the topic and gives either non-sequitur or non-responsive answers. (He attempted to promote his CD in response to questions from Lauer regarding the incident.)

He should not be put in stressful situations where he might also be in position to endanger the saftey or well-being of others. Note that Matt Lauer did not interview him in the same phsycial space. I wonder why they didn't have Steven Cojocaru conduct the interview.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly enough, his father and his college coaches weren't in the least bit surprised at his reaction during the 'incident'. All of them seemed to mention that he's a bit unstable at best.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Not only does he exhibit signs of mental illness, based on this interview, I would recommend follow-up examination for further evidence of developmental disability.

He smiles inappropriately and displays inappropriate affect during the interview, and a fundamental lack of appropriate interpersonal skills, constantly interrupting and talking over Lauer.

He displays limited language ability and evidence of attention deficit disorder.

He can not answer simple questions about himself ("Ron, in your opinion what would have been a fair punishment based on what happened?").

He can not maintain the thread of the conversation and frequently changes the topic and gives either non-sequitur or non-responsive answers. (He attempted to promote his CD in response to questions from Lauer regarding the incident.)

He should not be put in stressful situations where he might also be in position to endanger the saftey or well-being of others. Note that Matt Lauer did not interview him in the same phsycial space. I wonder why they didn't have Steven Cojocaru conduct the interview.
Interesting analysis Kiki.

Maybe that's why Ben Wallace called him " A Rebel without A Clue."
Old 11-23-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I don't think anyone will ever argue that this guy is the sharpest knife in the draw.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:47 PM   #6
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

WOW...just wow!

First off, the theme to explaining his actions seems to be...."Things happen! The tape speaks for itself" Its like he was trained (perhaps by Billy Hunter) to say that verbatim like some puppet.

Lauer: "Ron, how would you explain your actions to the fans"

Artest: "Uh....Um..Uhhh...Things happen!"

Lauer: "Ron, how would you explain your actions to kids who were watching and trying to comprehend what they just witnessed?"

Artest: "Uh....Um..Uhh....Things happen! They saw the crowd cross the line. They saw a frustrated basketball player. Things happen!"

Lauer: "Does your team deserve some form of discipline on your part for that salary?"

Artest: "Uh...Um...I don’t understand the question." I think I'm pretty disciplined...you should look at the tape and review it and you should hopefully answer the questions for me. That would help me out a lot."

And as if his brainless answers weren’t bad enough, he continues to promote that damn CD. The crazed, yet happy look on his face when he repeatedly holds his CD in the camera is somehow priceless.....

Lauer: "Are you worried that this (fight) will impact the success of that (CD)?"

Artest: "Uh….Um…Things happen!"
Old 11-23-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Ron Artest on the Today Show

I'd like to see him fight Rodman about who's the real "Bad guy" wearing #91... I guess he'd jump on the wrong guy and get jailed.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:04 PM   #8
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

OMG HOW STUPID IS THIS GUY??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????? "Here's my new album, it's about love." "Wow, there was beer in my eye..., I mean wow" WHAT???????? WTF
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:27 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Anybody that heard BAD radio disect this interview answer by answer witnessed pure radio gold.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:19 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he has found a true calling, rap muscian, sounds like a career match.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:20 PM   #11
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

What, is everybody just realizing that Ron Artest is crazy?
Old 11-23-2004, 11:43 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
What, is everybody just realizing that Ron Artest is crazy?
snicker....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:12 AM   #13
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

"This was the third time that I've been hit with something out of the crowd - in Cleveland and Detriot previous to this incident."

If this is true then I think he has shown remarkable control.

"I didn't want the kids to see it (the tape). You (the networks) played it."

Shouldn't the network show some responsibility too?
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:36 AM   #14
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I don't think at all that Artest is a psycho.

Watching the interview I was really surprised. He seems to be a nice guy. Obviously not very bright, but hey, I believe what he says is true. He tried to stay out of trouble at first. He's been working hard on his game and he seemed to have learned from previous experiences. And then shit just happened...

And I don't really believe he went into the stands to attack the fan, either. It was more confronting the fan, ask him if he did it and than probably lecturing him about proper fan behavior. That, of course, didn't work out...

Let's hope he works on his anger management for the rest of the season.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:39 AM   #15
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
constantly interrupting and talking over Lauer.
Lauer did interrupt him as well on several occasions...

Old 11-24-2004, 08:44 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

So why was he cocking his right arm? Was he going to gently stroke the fan's hair and tell him that he loves him?

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:22 AM   #17
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

After seein the interview I truly feel sorry for him. The guy is absolutely clueless and needs help. He definitely didn't come across as a mean person, so it seems to me the beer just pushed him overboard. Pity, he could be remembered as one of the great players of this generation, now all he'll be remembered as is as a troublemaker.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:34 AM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious!!.. I couldn't paste the link. But it's the cartoon for Delonas for Wednesday, November 24, 2004 at the below link. The caption "Just hurl the beer in his face and point him towards Fallujah".

artest as marine weapon
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 12:12 PM   #19
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
After seein the interview I truly feel sorry for him. The guy is absolutely clueless and needs help. He definitely didn't come across as a mean person, so it seems to me the beer just pushed him overboard. Pity, he could be remembered as one of the great players of this generation, now all he'll be remembered as is as a troublemaker.
I agree to a point. I feel much sorrier for him after seeing the interview--he's clearly functioning with diminished capacity--and because he is a talented jock with a body capable of making money, no one-not his parents, not his high school coaches, not his college coaches, not his pro coaches-- has ever stepped up to rein him in, get him the help he so desperately needs, and keep him from being a danger to himself and others. At least no until now.

That said, he is in my eyes, the primary, root cause of everything that happened the other night--from the cheap-shot, unnecessarily-hard-foul-punch-to-the-neck that he adminstered to Ben Wallace, to walking over and lying down on the table to egg the situation on, to losing control and going into the stands. Everything else happened as a result of those events.

And there's no escaping the fact that he deserves to be held responsible for what he did the other night. And given his track record, that means he has to be taken out of situations where what he did the other night could EVER escalate into anything worse. If that means taking him off the court until he can be stabilized (medically or otherwise) then so be it. If it turns out that he isn't able by himself to take advantage of the opportunity, and that no one else will step up and guide him or compel him to get the kind of help that he needs, then he shouldn't play again.

Otherwise, the public is just paying to see a sub-normal act out.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:31 PM   #20
twelli
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
So why was he cocking his right arm? Was he going to gently stroke the fan's hair and tell him that he loves him?

Don't know what was going on in his head at that time (if anything at all...) but if a giant like him sees a 15-year old already frightened into submission if would expect him to except a 'sorry' from the kid and leave it that way.

One thing that speaks against Artest, however, is that he didn't make any effort in the interview to apologize for his behavior. Did he say he's sorry? Did he say he's wrong? All I can remember is "Things happen", "Let's move on", "Stay positive"...