Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

This is an excellent article and one that highlights what I said about Wood's ability to defend on the perimeter. It also spotlights his terribleness as post defender.

But that perimeter defense is going to be more key IMO. With the way switches happen at lightning speed, you gotta cover basically anyone you're switched on. Just have to figure out a strategy to hide him in post iso D.

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/202...vericks-trade/

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #2
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
This is an excellent article and one that highlights what I said about Wood's ability to defend on the perimeter. It also spotlights his terribleness as post defender.

But that perimeter defense is going to be more key IMO. With the way switches happen at lightning speed, you gotta cover basically anyone you're switched on. Just have to figure out a strategy to hide him in post iso D.

Excellent article with an objective data-based look at Wood. Thank you for sharing. Franko is a great writer.

I suspect we will add another 2/3 and another center.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #3
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Luka - $36.6m
Brunson - $22m???
DFS - $12.5m
Bull - $10m
Wood - $14.3m

-----------

THJ - $19.6m
Dinwiddie - $20.2m
Maxi - $9m
Bertans - $16m
Green - $3.1m

Ntlikina - $2m
Powell - $11m
???
???
Pinson - $vetmin

To expand on what I was saying above, we have three roster spots, I think we will end up using two.

Last edited by tap2390; 06-21-2022 at 06:58 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:53 PM   #4
germanmav

germanmav will become famous soon enoughgermanmav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Luka - $36.6m
Brunson - $22m???
DFS - $12.5m
Bull - $10m
Wood - $14.3m

-----------

THJ - $19.6m
Maxi - $9m
Bertans - $16m
Green - $3.1m
Ntlikina - $2m

Powell - $11m
???
???
???
Pinson - $vetmin

To expand on what I was saying above, we have three roster spots, I think we will end up using two.
You are missing Spence.
germanmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:30 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Excellent article with an objective data-based look at Wood. Thank you for sharing. Franko is a great writer.

I suspect we will add another 2/3 and another center.
Well that potential on perimeter D means you can think about bringing Bullock off the bench. I just don't want to start Kleber because I feel he is still being overused. I'd rather move Powell and get someone else to start like a D. Howard, McGee, Biyombo-type.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:41 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Does anyone post-iso?

Giannis, KAT, and Embiid? Anyone else that is both a threat and actually isos in the post?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:54 PM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Does anyone post-iso?

Giannis, KAT, and Embiid? Anyone else that is both a threat and actually isos in the post?
That's a good question, but the stats do back up that centers score against him in at will in those situations. And generally, it doesn't seem like he is a good man defender against centers.

But that really wouldn't have mattered in this year's playoffs as the centers he would be against are offensively bad Gobert, inconsistent Ayton, and Looney. Which I'm sure was part of the reason the Mavs pulled the trigger. His offense and rebounding make up for the lack of man D.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:18 PM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Does anyone post-iso?

Jokic sometimes. But Embiid is pretty much the only back down threat left. I'm unconcerned with post iso defense. Just get fvcking rebounds team.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:01 PM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Good article and great data. However, I'm not sure I agree with the writer's assumption- which in fairness seems to be everyone's assumption- that the Mavs' biggest weakness coming into this offseason was rim protection. Given that the Mavs were one of the best defensive teams in the league this year, it seems odd to me that the consensus is that their fatal weakness is a lack of defense. Yes, the defense got exposed against the Warriors. But I think what got exposed worse was the fact that the Mavs had virtually no frontcourt production in general. No defense. But no offense either. And worse of all, no rebounding. Rebounding was by far and away the teams biggest weakness- we got outrebounded by over 11 per game against the Warriors. It's really no wonder they destroyed us when you think about that number alone.

Powell is absolutely useless except for like his two lob catches per game. And Kleber is a good 3 and D big, but he's not a great rebounder and if the 3 isn't falling, then he's useless on offense too. Now rim protection will still be an issue, sure, but simply swapping out Powell, who I honestly think was probably the worst starting center in the league this year, for Wood who is one of the best offensive bigs in the league will make the team a lot better. Even more so when you add in that he's an elite defensive rebounder.

Add another 3 and D wing and a shot blocking big off the bench, and this team could be absolutely legit. I'm talking 60 wins legit.

The writer here alluded to Wood being effective defensively when paired with another big. Even though I expect DFS/Wood to be our starting 4/5, I really look forward to seeing the minutes where's playing with Kleber and/or a another big we add this offseason. With those combinations, the Mavs could go from being one of the worst rebounding teams to one of the best.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-20-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote