Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-11-2006, 12:26 AM   #321
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs just had one of those games in which they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. But, they played some damn fine defense. Even though they sucked offensively, they won. Can't beat that, can you? Well, yeah you can...but, ..a win is a win even though this was extremely painful to watch.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #322
Mavfan + Ravenfan

Mavfan + Ravenfan is on a distinguished road

I really liked there effort defeinsivley. A few years ago if we only scored 75 points it was in a loss. After that kings game avery has really tightned the d, I loved watchin this game. And the d is only going to get better with harris and griffin returning. Hopefully good enough for the suns in the wcf.
When we was eight, we went to Bat Day to see the Yanks
In Sixty-Nine, his father and mines, they robbed banks
He pointed to the charm on his neck
With his last bit of energy left, told me rock it with respect
I opened it, seen the god holdin his kids
Photogenic, tears just burst out my wig

AKA-wu banga at db.com
AKA-mavsravensfanatic at scout.com

Last edited by Mavfan + Ravenfan; 04-11-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Mavfan + Ravenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #323
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Boy, I don't think I like what AJ said in the postgame. Dirk is "one of our money guys." And "we have a lot of money guys." Dirk, and Terry, and Stackhouse!?!?!

Said they thought Dirk had a mismatch, or somesuch, there. I think he said "we thought it was a good situation there." Crap. That is no way for a coach to talk about a freaking MVP. An MP3 should ALWAYS have a mismatch. And he should CLEARLY be the team's "money guy."

Didn't like those quotes. Not in the least.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #324
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Ugly game from start to finish... Oh, except for Dirk's game-winner. That was real pretty.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:32 AM   #325
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

The last 10 seconds of the game was a thing of beauty.

Watching a superstar... suck in the defense... rise up.... drill a shot in the defenders mug.... to win trhe game.

It's funny how about 3 years ago... people said Dirk couldn't do that.

I always felt it was because Nellie never gave Dirk the opportunity to win it.

Avery gives Dirk plenty of opportunities to win the game.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #326
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
I certainly hope the Mavs are capable of better than this! The playoffs are tough but not 28-75 tough.

Tonight's game is little more than a momentary hiccup though, I'm sure.

EDIT: I will rephrase:

I know the Mavs are better than this. In the playoffs, should we play the Clips...our beloved Mavs will break out the steamroller
Well, the broadcast reported that AJ informed his team at halftime--or perhaps it was at a timeout in the second half; I cannot remember which--that they would win the game with defense. Given that, perhaps the best thing to do is evaluate the defensive numbers and not consider the offensive production at all. Was the defensive effort not good enough to get the win, and is that not all that matters?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #327
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Boy, I don't think I like what AJ said in the postgame. Dirk is "one of our money guys." And "we have a lot of money guys." Dirk, and Terry, and Stackhouse!?!?!
A.J.'s gotta lose the beer goggles and see Stack for what he is...and whatever he is - he is NOT a money guy.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:34 AM   #328
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Chum.... I wouldn't worry about that too much. I you noticed Avery went to Dirk damn ner the whole fourth quarter. He believes in him. And that's several times now this year he's had the opportunity to win/tie the game.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:35 AM   #329
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Said they thought Dirk had a mismatch, or somesuch, there. I think he said "we thought it was a good situation there." Crap. That is no way for a coach to talk about a freaking MVP. An MP3 should ALWAYS have a mismatch. And he should CLEARLY be the team's "money guy."

right there with ya...I hated that....he had an opportunity to praise his superstar and instead he compared him to Jerry Stackhouse.....ugh.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #330
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well, the broadcast reported that AJ informed his team at halftime--or perhaps it was at a timeout in the second half; I cannot remember which--that they would win the game with defense. Given that, perhaps the best thing to do is evaluate the defensive numbers and not consider the offensive production at all. Was the defensive effort not good enough to get the win, and is that not all that matters?
I certainly agree with you - the win is all that matters. I'm also cognizant of the fact that this was an anomalous offensive game for the Mavs. Unfortunately, I didn't have the benefit of watching the broadcast so I can't speak much about the defensive effort (though from what I'm reading it was very good).

I'm just saying that 37% from the field usually won't cut it no matter how good the defense is (as demonstrated by the very close call tonight - I'm a little inclined to believe that Dirk's last-second heroics are just as responsible for the win as the overall defense - though again, my inability to actually watch the game makes any judgment on the matter suspect). But I also trust that the Mavs won't be letting this sort of thing happen on a regular basis - even in the playoffs, so (you're right) tonight's offensive nightmare isn't a big deal.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-11-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #331
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I certainly agree with you - the win is all that matters. I'm also cognizant of the fact that this was an anomalous offensive game for the Mavs. Unfortunately, I didn't have the benefit of watching the broadcast so I can't speak much about the defensive effort (though from what I'm reading it was very good).

I'm just saying that 37% from the field usually won't cut it no matter how good the defense is (as demonstrated by the very close call tonight - I'm a little inclined to believe that Dirk's last-second heroics are just as responsible for the win as the overall defense - though again, my inability to actually watch the game makes any judgment on the matter suspect). But I also trust that the Mavs won't be letting this sort of thing happen on a regular basis - even in the playoffs, so (you're right) tonight's offensive nightmare isn't a big deal.
Whoops. I was being--or rather, trying to be--sarcastic. I agree with you in full. The idea that your defense will be able to carry you no matter what, if your defense is good enough, is suspect to me. Hell, what I am saying. It's not "suspect" to me. I disagree with it in full. I'm all for a coach pushing a team to play the best defense it can play, but when that comes at the expense of passable offense, it ceases to pay positive returns.

Now, if a team simply doesn't have a lot of offensive talent, then hell yes, muck up the game as much as you can and defend till you give out. But when you have the offensive talent the Mavs have, I hate to see them play as bad offensively as they were playing tonight and hear that a coach wants to hang his hat on defense.

Would it kill Johnson to tell his team they need to get their heads out of their asses on *offense*?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:01 AM   #332
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:

disgusting post.... seems to me you're all about Dirk and not about the Mavericks... how nice
Old 04-11-2006, 01:03 AM   #333
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithXx
disgusting post.... seems to me you're all about Dirk and not about the Mavericks... how nice
methinks you misunderstand.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-11-2006, 01:06 AM   #334
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Come again?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:07 AM   #335
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

I dunno.. but I made myself laugh by saying "disgusting post"
Old 04-11-2006, 01:10 AM   #336
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
you made me scratch my head...and my butt....but I give most of the credit to the "butt scratch" to my fungus.

I don't have a fungus by the way.

Last edited by sike; 04-11-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:11 AM   #337
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
you made me scratch my head...and my butt....but I give most of the credit to the "butt scratch" to my fungus.
Ha! Now it's preserved for posterity.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-11-2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #338
sike
The Preacha

I think you mean its preserved on my posterior

Old 04-11-2006, 01:16 AM   #339
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I think you mean its preserved on my posterior
Egads man! Women and children read this board!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:16 AM   #340
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Ha! That was pretty funny, now that I think about it.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:18 AM   #341
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
Egads man! Women and children read this board!
I would like to thank you for working “egads” into your post….it adds that touch of class that the board needs from time to time…

Old 04-11-2006, 01:29 AM   #342
chumdawg
Guru

And when butt fungus comes into play, it may well be one of those times!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:33 AM   #343
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
And when butt fungus comes into play, it may well be one of those times!
indeed. though I must restate: I have no butt fungus.....and if I do have it....I'm not going to suffer alone!

Old 04-11-2006, 01:37 AM   #344
chumdawg
Guru

Nothing like a Clips game to bring the butt fungus out of the woodwork.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:40 AM   #345
sike
The Preacha

I love d-m late night......

Old 04-11-2006, 01:43 AM   #346
WraithXx
Diamond Member

are there any mechanized instruments that are used to demolish hordes of nasty butt fungus bushes?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:43 AM   #347
WraithXx
Diamond Member

oh and answer quickly please. I really need to know.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:45 AM   #348
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk Dirk Dirk Dirk!
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:48 AM   #349
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
oh and answer quickly please. I really need to know.
I'm holding out for when you're really desperate....

Dirk IS the MVP.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:55 AM   #350
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone answer me these questions because Im lazy and I dont know if it was posted

Did Damp get hurt or was he just having his first crapper of a game?
Did M'BEnga really look as good as his line says? Solid 4pts, 6 reb in 11min?
Did Griffin look like he should be back for us working his way into shape?
What was the story of all the TOs?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:58 AM   #351
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine that... Sportscenter top 10 has Dirk's game winner 4th, two friggin baseball plays 3rd and 2nd, (including a Mark Mulder home run - WHAT?), and then LeBron is 1st. Dirk doesn't even have a chance with the media! I am truly suprised he made top 5!

Sigh!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:23 AM   #352
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and there is a poll on the front page of ESPN.COM that asks who the MVP is! Guess who is conveniently left off! Had to make room for guys like Wade and Kobe, seeing as how they have multiple endorsement deals and can do windmill dunks! Truly pathetic!

Sigh!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:58 AM   #353
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I'd rather have a seven footer that could bomb a gamewinning three, or steal the ball and run it up 2/3 of the court for a fastbreak dunk than a guy that can dunk with style.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:30 AM   #354
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

haha, you just dont know anything about basketball then...its NOT about winning, its about looking good.
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:46 AM   #355
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious poll at ESPN.com. BTW, NBATV put Dirk's game winner ahead of Lebitch's for the Cavs.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #356
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
A.J.'s gotta lose the beer goggles and see Stack for what he is...and whatever he is - he is NOT a money guy.
Stack is cold blooded. He loves going in for the kill, and quite frankly I think he's damn good at the last second shots, whether end of a quarter or end of game.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #357
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Stack is not cold blooded. He's a 40% shooter that probably hits less than that in the 4th quarter.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #358
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Stackhouse is good sometimes, but most of the time he's a turnover or an awful shot waiting to happen. Marquis is the exact same way. That's why one of them absolutely has got to go in the offseason. It's not that I don't like what they can bring to the table, but there's nowhere near enough room on the team for both of them. We need to replace one of them with someone that can shoot the three.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #359
sike
The Preacha

Stack is best when he's taking the ball hard to the hoop...at all other times hes an average player at best...

Old 04-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #360
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose
Stack is cold blooded. He loves going in for the kill, and quite frankly I think he's damn good at the last second shots, whether end of a quarter or end of game.
Are you kidding me?

Just because he had a string of games where he hit what...half a dozen end-of-quarter shots the guy loves to go in for the kill? Please.

And just FYI, Jerry has not hit a single game winning shot this season. Check it out here. Stack's as cold-blooded as a microwaved burrito.