Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future
Default Young turning pro?

By JOSEPH DUARTE
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Texas junior quarterback Vince Young plans to enter the NFL draft and forgo his final year of college, a close family friend said today. Young plans to make the announcement this afternoon at a press conference in Austin.

"He has the blessing of God, the pastor and his family," said Yolanda Lezine, Young's godmother and the family media's spokeswoman. "It's his decision. Everybody is going to support him a 110 percent."

Young capped off his career Wednesday night, rallying the Longhorns from a 12-point deficit in the fourth quarter to defeat two-time defending national champion Southern California, 41-38, in the Rose Bowl.

The Madison product will hire Bus Cook as his agent. Cook is also the agent for Tennessee quarterback Steve McNair, Young's mentor, and Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

Young finished with 467 all-purpose yards – 200 rushing and 267 passing – in what some are calling one of the greatest performances in college football history. He is the first player in NCAA history to rush for 1,000 yards (1,050) and pass for 3,000 yards (3,036) in a season. In three seasons, Young is 30-2 as a starter at Texas, the best in school history.

Some draft analysts project Young could be selected among the top 5 in the April draft, possibly as high as the top 3. The Texans, New Orleans Saints and Tennessee Titans own the top three picks in the draft.

The chance to be selected that high was one of the deciding factors in Young's decision not to return to the Longhorns.

All underclassmen must declare for the NFL draft by Jan. 15. Young will become the first underclassman to leave early in coach Mack Brown's eight-year tenure at Texas.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I must say I can't knock the man. His value is at his highest and he has to see how the Leinhart situation turned out last year. Can't be happier for the guy. Time to cash in on all the hard work he's been putting in.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

In football, you'd better get it while you can. The game is just too violent to play around with anything less than a guaranteed check.

I'm sure Leinart would agree with Young right about now.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

(sigh) If only he could be a Cowboy.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm truly shocked. I honestly thought he would stay at Texas.

1. I'm hoping he does very well in the NFL. I really enjoy watching him play and he has provided me with some of the best college football that I have ever seen...and this from a Baylor Bears fan. The kid is awesome.

2. He will do well off the field. Whoever drafts him will love him.

3. I'm disappointed, but his character assures me that he will come back and finish school (A huge pet peeve of mine related to pro sports).

4. He is a top 3 pick right?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

From the article:

Quote:
Team and league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the Texans will pass on Young, a Houston native, and select USC running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft, pending the formality of Bush announcing that he will turn pro.

Almost nothing will change that course, the sources told Mortensen.

Young, who led the Longhorns to a 41-38 Rose Bowl victory over top-ranked Southern California on Wednesday, could have returned to Texas for his senior season and would have been a favorite to win the Heisman Trophy.

The Texans will pick up an $8 million option on quarterback David Carr, who was the expansion team's first draft pick four years ago. Texans owner Bob McNair made the decision after getting extensive evaluations from various sources that strongly endorsed Carr, including a favorable report from Dan Reeves, the former longtime NFL coach hired last month as a consultant.
GO GET HIM JERRY!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Just for the sake of it anyone know what we could even offer to get let's say the Saints or the Titans pick because I think its clear the Texans won't be trading their pick unless its to go down a spot or two. Would they even consider something like our 1st and 2nd rounders this year and our 1st next year?
Old 01-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

Give 'em picks and Roy. .
Old 01-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I would like to see the cowboys take a flyer on Vick in the 3rd or 4th round. We all know im a huge vince fan but i dont think the cowboys can get him without giving up too much.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #10
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Cowboys gotta go after him. He'd be amazing for PR, everyone around Texas LOVES him. He's an awesome, very exciting young QB...exactly what we need. He can carry a huge load to, doing a lot himself. How can it be any more perfect?
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

Vick sounds like a punk, no thanks... You've got to have a guy at QB who everyone can emulate and look up to. Vick doesn't look anywhere close.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Jerry better be busting his ass to get him. I'd be willing to give up, three first rounders, one 2nd, two3rd, and two 7th round picks for him, maybe more. I really think the guy, will be the BEST QB in the league for the next 10-15 years, he has so much potential. He can run like Vick, throw as good as (or better than) Leinart, has great size, is a true leader, and is the clutches player I've ever seen play. I bet Jerry has to be going crazy thinking about the advertising possibilities that could come out of drafting VY. Make it happen Jerry.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I'm truly shocked. I honestly thought he would stay at Texas.
Until today's post I really thought you were just screwing around Doc...

How many PHDs is it again?
Old 01-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #14
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Well its clear we are going to have to trade for either the 2nd or 3rd pick. I don't see how the Saints pass up on him. Do they plan on letting Aaron Brooks walk or what? Not sure what his status is but it seems like the talk is that they are either going to take Leinart or Young at the 2 spot. If they're that stuck on a quarterback I don't see how they trade out of the pick unless the Cowboys just trade their whole future for Young which is something I wouldn't think twice about. I think Young can be that good.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:23 AM   #15
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

I don't know if I'd trade our whole future away for him but I'd be willing to trade away our whole draft for him.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where to find it, but I remember seeing the "value" chart that a lot of teams use when dealing draft picks. I think Gil Brandt came up with it a long time ago.

At any rate, the top few picks are heavily weighted, and it's a long drop to #18. Just a wild guess of mine would have you dealing the #18, next year's #1, a second and third this year...just to get started.

There is always Drew Henson, though, to toss in.

I just don't see it happening. Bledsoe is going to play next year and probably the year after that, and by that time Henson or Romo should be ready to go. QB is just not a need for the Cowboys right now. Not with the needs they have elsewhere.

Plus, as much as I love Vince Young, there is still an element of uncertainty about how he will do in the pros. Hell, it wasn't that long ago that people didn't even believe he could play QB in the NFL.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #17
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Tony Romo could be the next Tom Brady.

How will we ever know unless he gets the snaps?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #18
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Tony Romo could be the next Tom Brady.

How will we ever know unless he gets the snaps?
Precisely why I can't stand the New Jersey conman and his love affair with old players..... if it weren't for him we wouldn't have to put up with 2HB this year, and the next 2 years most likely.

If the Cowboys got VY, I would be ecstatic. I don't see it happening though. I wish Houston would take him so he would be close enough for me to go see him play in a Pro game. Houston/Dallas will only play every 3 years, and pre-season is junk. Thank God for Television I guess.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

good for him....hope he goes in the top 3

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #20
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Tony romo is nothing more than a decent backup at best. Bledsoe is the perfect Qb for Vince to sit behind for 2 years or at least 1. Still I just dont see a feasible way for the cowboys to get it done. The guy who said 3 first rounders, a second 2 thirds and what not would be giving up too much. I love vince but no one is worth that. BTW since I have been saying that bush was overrated by people saying he was the greatest cfb player ever, i must add that vince isnt either and those that think he is are overrating him.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #21
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't give up my entire draft for any player but I think you can make a pretty good arguement for Vince being the best college player of all time. I'm not saying he is since there are a number of players that I didn't see but 13-0 and 3000/1000 at least puts him in the discussion for best season.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention a dominating performance in a victory against the greatest college football team of all time!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #23
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

good for young. I think he deserves the millions hes about to get
Old 01-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

Go get him Jerry!!
Old 01-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #25
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

I'd sure love for VY to go to the Cowboys, but no way in hell do they trade up to get him. If QB was the only position in need of filling, then maybe you give a lot away to get the future in Dallas. But they have way too many problems to be giving up all their picks.

If you're the Texans you can't pass this guy up. He puts people in the seats being the hometown hero, increases jersey sales, and will touch the ball way more per game than Bush. Personally, I think Carr's probably damaged goods, but coaches still seem to think he has something. Can you swing a trade with Miami: Carr for Ricky and draft VY? You upgrade two positions at the same time. Miami has Brown and they need a QB.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #26
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

The Cowboys will have a bunch of cap room going into the offseason so I see no reason why you can't fill all of those holes with the free agency pool. Coming off of signing Ferguson, Henry and Aaron Glenn I think I like our chances at signing a offensive line in free agency than I do drafting one in the first or second round. We are doing the same thing we did in the 90's by drafting all of these defensive ends just because it was a need. We've had our best drafts when going after the best player available. Not drafting because of what we need.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:06 AM   #27
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

If the Boys traded their entire draft for Vince Young, I would be very happy. Imagine Vince Young and Julius Jones in the backfield together *drool*

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-13-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #28
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

It is suicide to trade your entire draft. Vince Young is no guarantee and I like the guy. I just don't think he will be close to an Elway and more like a Steve McNair at best.

Last edited by Drbio; 01-13-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #29
Five-ofan
Guru

I was thinking about it and you know what I would do the entire draft trade. Think of it this way. I said I would do a first this year a first next year and jj for the pick. The firsts cancel out. Is a 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th and 7th round pick really worth more than JJ and a first next year? About the best year thing I would say that imo he did have the best year in CFB history or is at least in a tie with barry Sanders last year but for greatest cfb player of all time you have to look at a career and while vince has had a great career there are several who can claim a better career. One of them is Matt Leinart. This was the same argument I used against bush except that I didnt even think bush's year this year was anything near as special as it was made out to be.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:04 AM   #30
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Vince Young has Randall Cunningham written all over him

which isnt a bad thing, Randall was a decent pro.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #31
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect.... Randall Cunningham had nowhere near the ability Young seems to have at willing his team to Victory. And he certainly didn't have the calm demeanor in hectic/pressure situations.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:14 AM   #32
Five-ofan
Guru

Randall was also much more than a "decent pro"
Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #33
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

yeah definitely, he was one of the top QB's during his time.. isn't this what we expect from Vince? Randall was a very good player...

Contact Me
Old 01-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #34
alby
Guru

I actually would be quite pleased if Vince had Randall's career..

Contact Me
Old 01-18-2006, 10:28 AM   #35
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
I actually would be quite pleased if Vince had Randall's career..
I would too. But I don't think they are the "same" player. I think I assumed that's what you were implying, and for that I apologize.

When Randall was young he was electric, that's for sure. And I am certain Young will have the same effect. But when Randall was young I hated him because he played for the stinking Eagles and that god forsaken Coach.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #36
alby
Guru

haha i understand =]

Contact Me
Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #37
Five-ofan
Guru

Correct me if im wrong but wasnt randall a good bit smaller than vince? I remember his plays and he seems smaller. I love Vince and I honestly havent seen ANYONE like him. BTW about his delivery i think its hilarious people say it wont work in the pros but both Carr and especially rivers have equally low delivery points and nowhere near the wheels. I will be utterly shocked if vince isnt a great pro. He just has it.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #38
alby
Guru

in 1990, Randall almost pulled off the unthinkable
3466 yards passing (30 tds 13 ints)
942 yards rushing (5 tds)

Randall
6-4 and 215 lbs

Vince
6-5 and 230 lbs

Contact Me
Old 01-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #39
Five-ofan
Guru

VInce may be listed at 230 but he weighs a hell of alot more. 250 minimum. I went to ut to hang out with some friends and met him for a minute. I am 6 2 245 and I look tiny next to him. The guy is just huge.