Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-26-2003, 10:31 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Randolph pleads Guilty

Portland forward pleads guilty to underaged drinking

September 26, 2003

MARION, Ind. (AP) -- Portland Trail Blazers forward Zach Randolph pleaded guilty Friday in his hometown to a charge of underaged drinking.

Randolph was 20 when he was arrested over the Memorial Day weekend in 2002 after city police stopped the sport utility vehicle he was driving because it matched the description of one they were seeking.

Police said Randolph's blood-alcohol content was less than half the state's legal limit to drive of 0.08 percent.

Randolph, who is now 21, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of possession of alcohol by a minor and was fined $1 by Judge Thomas Hunt and ordered to pay $134 in court costs.

He also will serve up to 60 days of informal probation, meaning he does not have to report to a probation officer and can leave the state.

Grant County Prosecutor James Luttrull Jr. said the agreement with Randolph was in line with what other defendants would have received.

``I simply wanted him to acknowledge his wrongdoing and plead guilty,'' Luttrull said. ``I had several people asking me to dismiss the case, but I didn't want to do that. On the other hand, just because he's Zach Randolph doesn't mean he should get a $500 fine.''

Randolph attended the hearing, accompanied by a few family members and his lawyer. The judge went through the procedure quickly, wrapping up in just a few minutes.

The 6-foot-9 Randolph was a first-round pick of the Trail Blazers in the 2001 NBA draft after he played just one season at Michigan State. He averaged 8.4 points and 4.5 rebounds for Portland last season.

Old 09-26-2003, 10:47 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Those zany Blazers.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:49 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Randolph pleads Guilty

What the heck. 1 stinkin' dolllar. I wonder if a regular joe did the same thing would they get off as easy.

Did I really ask that?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:07 PM   #4
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
What the heck. 1 stinkin' dolllar. I wonder if a regular joe did the same thing would they get off as easy.

Did I really ask that?
They might actually. Kids at my high school used to get cauht all the time and quite a few got away with warnings pretty much. He shouldn't have been drinking but he wasn't drunk.

Old 09-26-2003, 11:11 PM   #5
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Never stops in the Jail Blazer household...it's like Young and The Hopeless.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:11 PM   #6
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Never stops in the Jail Blazer household...it's like Young and The Hopeless.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:15 PM   #7
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Randolph pleads Guilty

informal probation???
What's that about?

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:55 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Did I really ask that?
Actually, in this case, a regular joe probably would have gotten the same deal. It was addressed i nthe article when it stated, Grant County Prosecutor James Luttrull Jr. said the agreement with Randolph was in line with what other defendants would have received.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:56 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
informal probation???
What's that about?
In the article it described it. He also will serve up to 60 days of informal probation, meaning he does not have to report to a probation officer and can leave the state.

It's basically a do good on your own probation that allows the court to pop you later if you mess up again within the 60 days.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 12:17 AM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:

Did I really ask that?
Actually, in this case, a regular joe probably would have gotten the same deal. It was addressed i nthe article when it stated, Grant County Prosecutor James Luttrull Jr. said the agreement with Randolph was in line with what other defendants would have received.
Wow. Didn't see that. What a punishment. I am sure that would deter that from happening again. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]