Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-20-2002, 02:04 AM   #1
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

It's funny though, my coaches and I were sitting and watching the tape (from Sunday) and La Frentz was flopping. I said to them, 'I bet you a dollar we get down to Dallas and they call those fouls on Shaq' and they sure did. Those guys baited right for those fouls every time and Shaq was in foul trouble with a 10-point lead in the second period and it changed up the game

Whatever should have or would have or could have never is never was and never will be... we whooped azz!!
Old 03-20-2002, 02:16 AM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

You beat me to this scooter. We shot horribly from the field again, and beat them by 16 points, so I guess the only thing he can say to give his team hope is that Raef flopped. Do you not have the balls to give us props? Would that make you look like less of a man to Jerry Buss' daughter?
Old 03-20-2002, 02:22 AM   #3
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Phil Jackson here is my response for why we didn't beat you by 25 tonight. We only shot 41% from the field well below our average. Dirk and Finley both had a below average game.

Phil it is funny you mention your bet. I bet a couple friends today that if Dirk and Fin had tough games, and the Mavs didn't shoot well from the field that they would lose.

I guess we are both losers tonight Phil. At least I didn't take my excuses to the AP.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 02:24 AM   #4
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

We would have won the title last year if we played against 2nd division Italian women's teams
Old 03-20-2002, 02:30 AM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Every time the Lakers lose, they make SOME sort of excuse. No matter WHAT! What's funny is, LaFrentz flopping was the best thing he could come up with. LOL!
Old 03-20-2002, 02:36 AM   #6
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

I loved his comments. He was making excuses. Boy it certainly has been a long time since ole Phil has felt the need to do that. Like a couple of missed calls by the refs would've have made a difference of 16 points. Oh, he just put the icing on the cake. Whine, whine, whine, sounds like Cubes last year. Like LA(and many others)said to us last year .......oh, please mutha.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:45 AM   #7
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

I suppose it could be seen as motivation for his team.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:49 AM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I hate how everyone thinks Jackson is some sort of basketball god. woo..he makes his players read books. Does that make them better basketball players, or more susceptable to know who the production company behind OPRAH is?
Old 03-20-2002, 02:54 AM   #9
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I liked the book he wrote.

(now i'm waiting for the ax to fall)
Old 03-20-2002, 03:33 AM   #10
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

From David at DallasBasketball.com's discussion board: Text

"Jackson's attitude towards the Mavs goes back to March 12, 1998. That's the game where the Mavs beat the Jordan led Bulls down at Reunion. I was at that game. I have the stub and I have the tape.
Rewind.
Bulls up less than two minutes and the mavs come back to tie on Ced Caballos Miracle 3 pointer. In overtime the Mavs blow away Jordan and the Bulls. Jackson left the court before the game was over. That was one of Jackson's worst regular season loss ever. He's never forgotten it, I believe. I say that because he always seems to take a shot at the Mavericks whenever he can. Oh by the way, after Sunday's game, Jackson said that win puts the lakers in a champs mode. How does getting your ass kicked by 16 fit that?"
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 03:36 AM   #11
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

That was one of the best games EVER for Mavs fans. We beat goliath with LESS than a stone.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:10 AM   #12
mavsfan2121

mavsfan2121 is on a distinguished road

I wonder how Jackson forget about the most obvious no call in the game.

I know yall have to remember dirk trying to get a layup under the basket and shaq not only hit his arms he hit dirks enitre body and the refs called it out on dirk that was one of the most obvious no calls in a while. how did the refs miss that.

Shaq does charge just because he is strong enough to run over people does not mean he can use his forearm to knock people over. IMO there should have been a third offensive foul called on shaq.
mavsfan2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 10:13 AM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

It is great to hear JackZen whining, but one thing should definitely be learned from him: Whining about the refs is what losers do. I've heard Mavs fans whine time and time again about how we got screwed by the refs (and I'm sure I've done the same in the past), but I think that, aside from Dee Kantner's attempted sabotage in Sacramento earlier this season, it really is a sign of weakness to blame it on the refs. We're going to get screwed by the refs in LA in the playoffs if we are fortunate enough to make it that far, so we should begin bracing ourselves for that fact, and hope that the Mavs can overcome it.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:16 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

occasionally the refs screw up big time..i try not to mention them too often.. maybe a call here or there...like the sac-town game... however, that game doesn't really count..sense it's the losers that do the whining and the mavs were the winners that game..and we all whined nonetheless.

well, i think we could all learn something by seeing how stupid jackson looks when whining...how do you think it makes cuban look on a daily basis..or any of us that whine about officiating too often on this board?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 01:36 PM   #15
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I'm actually surprised to hear of Jackson doing ref babbling. Whining about thr refs is about the biggest cop-out there is in the NBA. Jackson has more poise and class than that.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 01:40 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

no..jackson really doesn't.
this isn't the first time he's done such....
Old 03-20-2002, 01:41 PM   #17
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

<< Jackson has more poise and class than that. >>

Phil Jackson has never been accused of having class. He's a whiner, just like Cuban. In fact, I'm suprised they don't get along better. Actually, I guess I'm not...they are too similar.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 01:52 PM   #18
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Jackson is about as refined a coach as there is. Yes he can get a little cheesy at times with the whole Zen Meditation and the tests he gives to his players with questions like &quot;What kind of tree would you be?&quot; But overall he is a class guy and very good at psychological manipulation. I also read somewhere that there have only been 3 occasions in all his Bulls and Lakers coaching career where one of his teams lost 3 straight games. That is pretty impressive.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:59 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

he simply gets too much credit for babysitting the top players in the world..while picking up a nice check and gaining such high praise for doing what hundreds of coaches could have done
Old 03-20-2002, 02:29 PM   #20
Epitome22
Golden Member

See I don't really buy that, It seems like the same people that claim that Jackson has just gotten lucky and is doing something any coach could do are the same people that think all Scottie Pippen did was ride Jordan's coattails. Jackson has walked into very favorable positions and as a result, I don't think he'll ever truly get the credit he deserves as a coach.

Old 03-20-2002, 02:40 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< he simply gets too much credit for babysitting the top players in the world..while picking up a nice check and gaining such high praise for doing what hundreds of coaches could have done >>

Although I think Jackson deserves credit for capitalizing on the opportunities presented to him in Chicago and Los Angeles, that doesn't change the fact that he's just that: an opportunist. Jackson has admitted that he couldn't handle being in a losing or rebuilding situation, and I think the majority of people out there believe that any number of coaches could have won titles in Chicago and/or LA with the talent that Jackson had at his disposal.

Old 03-20-2002, 04:22 PM   #22
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

<< he simply gets too much credit for babysitting the top players in the world..while picking up a nice check and gaining such high praise for doing what hundreds of coaches could have done >>

Seriously now, you don't think that's all there is to it, do you? MAybe he's a little &quot;extreme,&quot; but some of the principles he's brought to the table have been effective...
Old 03-20-2002, 04:30 PM   #23
NYMavFan

NYMavFan is on a distinguished road

I agree with Murph somewhat on this one. Jackson surely is a good coach with a knack for dealing with difficult players and maintaining good chemistry on a team, but he's always been dealt some pretty friggin good cards. First, he was handed a team with the greatest player of all time + Pippen, and then he gets a Laker team with Kobe and Shaq. He knows how to motivate and get the most out of his players, but he's never been saddled with the responsibility of *building* a team. Until he proves he can do that, I don't think he should be held with the same esteem as other great coaches of the past.
NYMavFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 04:46 PM   #24
LandoCaly

LandoCaly is on a distinguished road

Well said NY.

Jackson has had several opportunites to take a losing team and try to rebuild them, but he always seems to find the hall-of-fame players waiting for him.

Coaches who raised teams from the dead: Nelson, Rivers, Ainge, Bird, Brown, Karl, Collins, Wilkins, Riley...

I'm sure there's more, just can't think of them. Those are coaches that I respect.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:40 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate how everyone thinks Jackson is some sort of basketball god. woo..he makes his players read books. Does that make them better basketball players, or more susceptable to know who the production company behind OPRAH is?

I find it ironic that ocelot uses a reference to Oprah and then signs off with &quot;Fat people are harder to kidnap&quot;. Coincidence? I think not.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

And I think Jackson is OVER-Rated. He does find great teams to coach, but on the other hand, he does know how to land the nice job with the fat checks!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 11:27 PM   #26
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Doc, Shhhh...You'll blow my cover! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2002, 01:51 AM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

i did not say he didn't deserve credit.
i said he receives too much credit.

big difference

yes, he's a good coach..but hell, there's plenty of good coaches out there.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:02 PM   #28
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link

More Lakers-Mavs

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said he was sending a message to his team. Just seconds remained in the club's 16-point loss to the rival Mavericks last Tuesday, but Jackson ordered his team to continue with the fouls, and the trapping defense. With 17 seconds left, he even called a timeout to set up a play.

&quot;We have to prepare for some postseason play, and we're not going to go down without giving them a scrap,&quot; Jackson said. &quot;I mean, when they have a 14-point lead, we're not going to run the clock out and not take a shot and come down and just submit. So that's part of it. We were trying to do some things to help us along.&quot;

The Lakers felt Jackson, who called his club's effort &quot;weak-minded,&quot; was rubbing their noses in the loss.

&quot;We want to go,&quot; Rick Fox said. &quot;We want to get on the plane and go to San Antonio [where they played the next night]. And Phil kept us out there a little longer. You always tend to remember your last loss to a team, and it's a lot easier to remember when you're spending an extra 15 minutes out there and you're down by 30.&quot;

By the way, Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal did not have much to say after the Mavericks' loss. He had just two words when asked if the Mavericks impressed him.

&quot;No. Never.&quot;
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote