Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-10-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Webber's next move: Retirement or Knicks

WEBBER'S NEXT MOVE: RETIREMENT OR KNICKS

By MARC BERMAN [/ New York Post]

April 10, 2007 -- Chris Webber told The Post last night he could see himself retiring if he wins his first NBA title with the Pistons this June.

If he doesn't retire, Webber, 34, likely will give the Knicks another chance since he again becomes a free agent, according to a source close to C-Webb.

Webber revealed before facing the Knicks last night he tried to force a trade last summer to New York. The Knicks pursued Webber when he was bought out of his Philly contract in December, but Webber opted for his hometown, Detroit.

"This summer I definitely wanted to come here (to New York), really tried to ask my agents to make things work when I was in Philadelphia," Webber said. "It wasn't working out. With the opportunity to come here (to Detroit), it was a no-brainer. This was the better team and I needed a chance to win a championship."

Asked about his summer free agency, Webber said, "I'm not really looking at this summer. Looking at seeing if I can win a championship right now. Not thinking of next year. If I win one, I just might disappear. You know what I'm saying."

Asked if he meant disappear as in retire, Webber said, "I got to win a championship this year and I might then disappear. I don't even know."

Last summer, the Sixers offered Webber to the Knicks, but Isiah Thomas wasn't willing to take on a ton of payroll. Thomas' offer to the Sixers was weak - centered on Quentin Richardson and Malik Rose. Philly preferred to buy Webber out than take on those contracts. Thomas was hot and heavy for Webber in January because of the cheap price tag - a $1 million veteran's minimum.

This summer C-Webb will not come as cheaply - likely for a large portion of the $5 million mid-level exception. Thomas is extremely close with the Goodwin brothers who represent Webber. Asked about Webber's long-term future in Detroit, Pistons coach Flip Saunders said, "I can't even talk about that. You'll get me in trouble with the league."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Winning is not this dude's list of criteriors.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Webber is probably the only player in the league (besides LBJ) that actually thinks New York is a more desirable option than retirement......
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

He got so used to being on losing teams that he doesn't know how to react being on a contender, so why not go to the Knicks...
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Why on earth would you say that now when the playoffs are about to begin? As a teammate I wouldn't even trust him.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

"Hi, I'm Chris Webber, right before the playoffs on my Detroit team, I'd like to say that I'm either gonna play for the Knicks or retire.....oh yeah, also...I'm a dumbass."

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

lol

"Yeah I'm just using my hometown team to win a ring. I'd much rather be with the Knicks where I can start fights with teams that purposely try to blow them out and don't bench their starters when they're down by 50 with less than 2 minutes. Fighting is my passion not basketball."

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-11-2007 at 11:41 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

It's almost in stone...
Source: Webber considering return to play for Pistons
By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: December 20, 2007, 8:43 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Fourteen-year veteran Chris Webber is close to returning to the NBA, with the Pistons his likely destination, a source close to Webber told ESPN.com.

"Look for him to be back the first week of January," the source said.

The Boston Celtics, Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers had also inquired about Webber's services, with the Heat intensifying their efforts after backup center Alonzo Mourning suffered an apparent season-ending injury to his patellar tendon in a game at Atlanta Wednesday night. But for Webber, a Michigan native, his familiarity with the Pistons players and coach Flip Saunders' system after playing there last season appears to make them the most desirable team.

Webber signed with the Pistons on Jan. 16, 2007, after being waived by the Philadelphia 76ers. In 43 games with Detroit, Webber averaged 11.3 points and 6.7 rebounds.

The Pistons currently have the maximum 15 players on their roster after trading Nazr Mohammed to the Charlotte Bobcats in exchange for Primoz Brezec and Walter Herrmann last week, so they would have to make another move to free a spot for Webber.
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Webber belongs in detroit. He was waiting to see who won the boston/detroit game I guess.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #10
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

If those were my choices I'd retire.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It was rumored for a while he'd be returning to the Pistons. The fans don't seem that happy but in a 15-20 minute role off the bench he could be effective. Defensively he's a liablity but I thought he was one of the few bright spots during the playoffs last year.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #12
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Takes playing time away from the beast; Jason Maxiell.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

He won´t return to Detroit:
Quote:
Webber says he'll sign with a team in two weeks
Monday, Jan 14, 2008 12:51 pm EST

In an exclusive interview Sunday, Chris Webber told News10's Bryan May that he will sign with a new club and be back on the court in a matter of days. "I'll be back in two weeks playing basketball," Webber said.

Webber said he hadn't made any firm decision on where he would resume his NBA career, but the 16-year veteran said he had fielded offers from several NBA clubs and had narrowed his choices down to three teams. Webber declined to name the teams he was considering.

Source: news10.net

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 01-14-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Are we in this at all?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

He mentioned Dallas in the past, so who knows?

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Old 01-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Ummmmmm... so,

We ARE in the Chris Webber race in the first place?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

If player Y is interested in X number of teams and X is greater to or equal to one, the Dallas Mavericks are in the Player Y race.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #18
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
If player Y is interested in X number of teams and X is greater to or equal to one, the Dallas Mavericks are in the Player Y race.
But are we really in the race if we're just there to pace the crowd?

Is this ghost ball??
Old 01-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #19
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see where he gets minutes in Dallas with Damp, Diop, Dirk, Bass eating up nearly all the C/PF minutes.

What playoff teams could use him? SA and Phoenix on the cheap maybe. Lakers might be able to use him now that Bynum is hurt but it sounds like Webber already made his decision before the injury. Portland? Boston? Orlando?

I can see Boston.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #20
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
y=x*(n)teams
x>=1
y=Mavs

Mavs=x*(n)teams

x=Mavs/(n)teams

1=Mavs/(n)teams
1<Mavs/(n)teams

Mavs=(n)teams
Mavs>(n)teams

---> Mavs are equal or better than a number (n) of teams!

Thanks for clarify that, Erica . . .

"Talk to the claw."

Old 01-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #21
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
I don't see where he gets minutes in Dallas with Damp, Diop, Dirk, Bass eating up nearly all the C/PF minutes.

What playoff teams could use him? SA and Phoenix on the cheap maybe. Lakers might be able to use him now that Bynum is hurt but it sounds like Webber already made his decision before the injury. Portland? Boston? Orlando?

I can see Boston.
I'm not a fan of Dirk or Bass at the C position, and if Diop is still in the doghouse, Webber wouldn't be bad.

If I were Webber, Boston would be more appealing to me.

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 01-14-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Webber would even get some playing time in Boston especially at center.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #23
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

can we please set up a vBookie event and name off some teams

i have all my vBucks on Boston. Without a doubt, webber would be dumb to go anywhere else.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #24
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all

I'm thinking Bass has taken the spot that CWebb was going to fill. I doubt the front office would screw with team chemistry by bringing him here.
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #25
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I'd be concerned if he went to Boston, but then again that is based on the assumption he still has anything left to contribute. He has been out quite a while.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #26
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

We are always in the race until the player picks a different team.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #27
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

I'm a huge Webber fan and would love to see him in a Mavs uniform, but we just can't promise him minutes.

EDIT: Bynum's down for 8 weeks...paging Chris Webber?

Last edited by StackAttack; 01-14-2008 at 05:58 PM.
StackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #28
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Sure we can. We just can't honestly promise it. =)

Is this ghost ball??
Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #29
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

Warriors' Nelson would welcome Webber back 14 years after feud

Associated Press

January 27, 2008, 8:51 PM ET

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Coach Don Nelson wants to bring free agent forward Chris Webber back to Golden State, nearly 14 years after a feud ended their first stint together.

"I hope that it happens to be quite honest with you," Nelson said Sunday before the Warriors hosted the New York Knicks. "I think our team needs it."

I think if he comes, it can benefit our team, it can benefit his and my relationship, it can benefit players on this team. I think he has a chance to make some of our players better and make our team better.

--Don Nelson

Webber was acquired by the Warriors in a draft day trade with Orlando in 1993 after becoming just the second sophomore ever to be the top pick in the NBA draft. He won the Rookie of the Year award and made the playoffs in his only season in Golden State.

But Webber clashed with Nelson and demanded a trade before his second season, and was eventually dealt to Washington in November 1994 for Tom Gugliotta and three first-round picks. At the time, Webber cited unhappiness over Nelson's sometimes abrasive coaching style as a main reason for his wanting out of Golden State.

Nelson was fired shortly after the trade, only to be brought back as Warriors coach last season. Golden State didn't make the playoffs for 12 seasons after Webber was traded, ending the drought last season. Nelson said he and Webber have talked over the years and that both men have matured since their feud more than a decade ago.

"I've learned over the years," Nelson said. "I've softened a bit through some of the experiences I've had. I look back at the time when Chris and I were here early in our careers. We were both pretty stubborn and I was maybe too tough and he was too young to see the positives I was trying to bring to the table. I've learned and I think he has, too. Hey, I'm an old man and he's an old player."

Webber has not played in an NBA game since the Detroit Pistons lost to Cleveland in last season's Eastern Conference finals. The Pistons did not bring Webber back this season and he has been looking for a team to join.

Webber averaged 11.2 points, 7.2 rebounds and 3.1 assists last season with Philadelphia and Detroit. He bristled at his reduced role in the postseason, when he averaged 9.9 points and 6.3 rebounds in 25.3 minutes per game.

Webber is no longer the dynamic player he was in his first stint with the Warriors, having worn down during a 14-year career that included microfracture surgery on his knee in 2003. Webber was one of the top power forwards in the game during his 6½ years in Sacramento, leading the Kings to the conference finals in 2002.

He remains one of the game's best passing big men, a skill Nelson believes the Warriors are severely lacking. Nelson has mostly played just two big men all season, with Andris Biedrins and Al Harrington sharing the load inside.

Golden State entered Sunday's game in seventh place in the Western Conference with a 26-18 record. Nelson said he's not afraid that adding Webber could disrupt the chemistry on a team that made it to the second round of the playoffs a year ago.

"I'm afraid if we don't get him here our team is not strong enough to be a playoff team," Nelson said. "That's my biggest fear. I think if he comes, it can benefit our team, it can benefit his and my relationship, it can benefit players on this team. I think he has a chance to make some of our players better and make our team better. Really that's all that's important. I'll get along with anybody who can help our team."
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #30
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Marc Stein reporting that the Warriors and Webber are closing in on a deal and could be finalized as soon as Tuesday.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #31
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how someone could have to think more than 2 seconds when deciding between retirement and the knicks.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #32
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Webber confirms it's a done deal and he'll be with the team tomorrow.

Some speculation that O'Bryant would be waived to make room for him but the latest rumors say it'll be Troy Hudson.

CJ Watson will be signed for the rest of the season according to the Oakland Tribune.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #33
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Webber set to return to Golden State

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - More than 13 years after Chris Webber demanded to leave the Golden State Warriors, the free-agent forward is all set to return.

Webber sent an e-mail to The Associated Press on Monday night confirming he will rejoin the Warriors and coach Don Nelson, who won a power struggle with the former No. 1 draft pick in their messy first stint with the franchise.

The five-time All-Star is expected to be with the Warriors when they visit Houston on Tuesday night, though it's uncertain whether he'll play. Golden State visits New Orleans on Wednesday before returning home to face Charlotte on Friday.

Nelson apparently masterminded the Warriors' decision to re-sign Webber, who hasn't played in the NBA this season, as a backup big man and offensive playmaker. Golden State spokesman Raymond Ridder said the club had no official announcement planned for Monday, but Nelson has spoken repeatedly about the team's hopes of signing Webber in recent days.

Just a few days after Chris Mullin said he planned no significant changes to the club with the NBA's second-most victories since mid-November, Nelson apparently convinced Golden State's top executive to take a chance on Webber. The power forward's diminished athleticism and uneven playoff performances convinced his hometown Pistons not to re-sign him last summer.

A slow-footed, soon-to-be 35-year-old big man with surgically repaired knees and a bad history with the head coach seems to be a terrible fit for the Warriors' harmonious team chemistry and their up-tempo style. But Nelson has done stranger things in his highly successful career.

"I'm afraid if we don't get him here, our team is not strong enough to be a playoff team," said Nelson, whose club is seventh in the conference at 27-18 after two months of largely outstanding play. "I think he has a chance to make some of our players better and make our team better. Really that's all that's important. I'll get along with anybody who can help our team."

The second-winningest coach in NBA history claims the Warriors desperately need Webber's passing abilities and bulk to compete with the Western Conference's best centers and power forwards. Webber's arrival could mean less playing time for Al Harrington and Andris Biedrins, while also increasing the likelihood Golden State will make a move near the trade deadline.

Webber was acquired by the Warriors in 1993 in a draft-day trade with Orlando, which made him just the second sophomore to be the draft's top pick. He won the Rookie of the Year award and made the playoffs in his only season in Golden State.

But Webber repeatedly clashed with Nelson, demanding a trade before his second season. The former Michigan star eventually was dealt to Washington in November 1994 for Tom Gugliotta and three first-round picks, and Webber has been loudly booed at Oracle Arena ever since.

The battle turned out to be a serious setback for both men and the Golden State franchise. Webber toiled in Washington for four years before enjoying his best NBA seasons with Sacramento, while Nelson was fired by Golden State just a few months after Webber left - and the Warriors missed the playoffs for the first of 12 straight losing seasons.

Nelson returned to the club last season, installing a fast-paced offense built around Baron Davis. The rejuvenated roster snapped the Warriors' playoff drought, and the eighth-seeded club upset the league-leading Dallas Mavericks in the first round before losing to Utah.

Webber has not played since the Pistons lost to Cleveland in last season's Eastern Conference finals. A Greek club reportedly made a lucrative offer to Webber, but none of his preferred NBA destinations worked out.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #34
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i hate chris webber. good go sign with the warriors..you aren't going to get anywhere.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #35
fluid.forty.one

hopefully the feud between Nellie and Webber sparks back up, and the resulting fight blows up the teams chemistry.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #36
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Webber is going to GS, NO WAY~~

Last edited by horse900703; 02-01-2008 at 05:09 PM.
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #37
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.comics.com/comics/getfuzzy/
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #38
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Where's kriD?
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote