Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
banpeikun

banpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to all
Default D-Day: Devin Harris practicing with the Nets

http://blog.nj.com/netsblast/2008/02/dday.html

D-Day
Posted by Dave D. February 27, 2008 2:43PM
Categories: Latest News

This is interesting: The guy walks into his first practice session of the year, one week into a new job, never having done anything but dummy offense in his first six days, and dad hands him the keys to the Bentley, no questions asked.

Here - it's your team, L-Frank pretty much told Devin Harris today. Try not to dent it.

No, he's not giddy over one practice, he's just being realistic. The sooner Harris turns into a leader, the better off the Nets will be.

"We really want him to take ownership with this, we want him to feel comfortable with it, we want him to be assertive, having the freedom to make play-calls," the coach said. "But in order to do that, you have to have an understanding of what we look for. But he seems to be a quick study."

Harris said Friday night that the entire curriculum has flipped here, vis-Ã*-vis Dallas. There, Avery Johnson liked "absolute control, and he likes to run things a certain way," Harris said. "But here, (Frank) told me he's going to let me run the show with some freedom - he'll give me that freedom before he takes it away. It's kind of an opposite situation, and I'm looking forward to it."

L-Frank confirms it all:

"Both of us are going to have to take a leap of faith," he said. "It's important for the point guard and the head coach to have a special relationship - especially when you acquire someone in the middle of the year like Devin, where you have no past history: Both sides have to be willing to take that leap of faith.

"There's some trust we're going to give each other without earning it, and the only way that trust erodes is based on performance or [the head coach getting pissed at his lack of] preparation. So we'll each take a leap of faith, understanding it's work in progress, but we're both going to start here as opposed to starting in the basement."

Anyway, practice went well for Harris - the ankle held up fine, he got his second wind halfway through, and he's ahead of the learning curve.

"I felt good, went through the whole practice, full contact and everything. It was a good day," he said.

"Looked like the Tasmanian Devil, fast as hell," D. Armstrong said.

They'll decide after shootaround whether he'll play his hometown team, the Bucks, tomorrow night.

Somebody start counting the number of times a point guard has walked into a mediocre team's gym in midseason and helped it turn the corner. Payton and Milwaukee? Bold move, but he was used off the ball pretty often with Sam next to him. Stephon in New York? By now we know that was purely phony progress. Baron in Golden State? It sure cured his (ahem) back problem, but he didn't get the Warriors into the playoffs that year. Andre in Philly? They were a very nice team once he made it his own, but the promise of '06-07 faded pretty quickly this year.

If we're leaving out somebody obvious, speak up.
banpeikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

I really want him back~~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

nobody even wished devin happy b-day yesterday
Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703
I really want him back~~
I was expecting "Let's funny?~~~"

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by banpeikun
http://blog.nj.com/netsblast/2008/02/dday.html
Here - it's your team, L-Frank pretty much told Devin Harris today. Try not to dent it.
Ah, shades of Nellie. I'm kinda hoping for Harris's sake that it works out a little better this time.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

I think Devin will be a very special player for New Jersey. He's on a team right now that can afford giving him the freedom he needs to take the next step and we've got a player that gives us what we need right now.

I wish him the very best as long as he's not playing against us, of course...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Go Nets!
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

If Devin reaches his potential, goes crazy and becomes a leader/all star, I'll go into more depression than I did with Nash. At least it was Nash's decision to give up on what he did with the Mavs, here, it was our decision all the way.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglemann
If Devin reaches his potential, goes crazy and becomes a leader/all star, I'll go into more depression than I did with Nash. At least it was Nash's decision to give up on what he did with the Mavs, here, it was our decision all the way.
If Devin becomes 20/10 in the last 30 games of the season, then that won't look so good for Avery.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
If Devin becomes 20/10 in the last 30 games of the season, then that won't look so good for Avery.
I think devin will average about 17 and 8. Devin is going to be a stud in the east
Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan
I think devin will average about 17 and 8. Devin is going to be a stud in the east

It just really sucks because I love both Kidd and Harris. Manic depression will be here in 2 years when we have neither.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I mite be the only one, but i think Harris will have competition over the first few years. Because him and Williams are both young, and they both have potential. Look at the games Williams played since Kidd left. Am not saying he wont start, just saying thta if Williams comes bak next year with his game at the next level, it would be a tough choice. Worst case scenario, NJ has 2 good young pgs.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

its a stretch to call the Nets a Bentley...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
It just really sucks because I love both Kidd and Harris. Manic depression will be here in 2 years when we have neither.
Good point but I think J-kidd will be here longer than 2 years, hopefully by the time he retires we will have some rings . Maybe? And then we can retire his jersey(Best Case scenario)

Last edited by LSMF; 02-28-2008 at 04:33 PM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #15
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
its a stretch to call the Nets a Bentley...
Yeah, more like a Chevette.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #16
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Harris seems to already be one of the best pgs in the east. Chauncey Billups is the best in the east even though he's more of a shooting guard. AI is ok Bibby seems to be almost done. Not too much competition in the east that I can think of.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #17
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

ai?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #18
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Harris seems to already be one of the best pgs in the east. Chauncey Billups is the best in the east even though he's more of a shooting guard. AI is ok Bibby seems to be almost done. Not too much competition in the east that I can think of.

Hahaha......someone doesn't watch much basketball.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #19
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hahaha......someone doesn't watch much basketball.
Iguodala, you know for the Sixers? Oh seems you don't watch much b-ball biyatch.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 02-28-2008 at 06:09 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #20
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Iguodala, you know the new A.I. for the Sixers? Seems you don't watch much b-ball biyatch.
He's not a PG. Andre Miller is the Sixers PG.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose
He's not a PG. Andre Miller is the Sixers PG.
No kidding. Talk about digging yourself a hole.