Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #41
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

There are more alternative options to compensate for the loss of Barry's shooting than there would have been alternative options for guarding Shaq, Yao,...etc had they not made the deal.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #42
some_user86

some_user86 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
I actually think the league would investigate it if Barry went back to the Spurs. Especially if the Spurs were one of those teams calling in crying about Stackhouse and especially because former Spurs assistant, Carlisimo, is involved here.

Stackhouse really raised the awareness level of these kind of deals and I think it's safe to assume that if Seattle does release Barry then there was a pre-arranged deal. Barry is a big expiring contract so for Seattle to let him walk would really not be a move in line with the Seattle franchise, rather it would be a move in line with the Spurs franchise.
Why wouldn't it move in line with Seattle? If they buy him out, they can save 0.5 million dollars, compared to having him sit on the bench for the rest of the year.

I think I've read that the Stackhouse flub actually gave Spurs cold feet on pulling this deal because they were planning on doing the same thing way before Stack had opened his mouth. So, Stack may have screwed the Spurs' pooch as well. I think Phoenix may have made the initial complaints to the league office about an 'unfair' deal.
some_user86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #43
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
There are more alternative options to compensate for the loss of Barry's shooting than there would have been alternative options for guarding Shaq, Yao,...etc had they not made the deal.
What are those alternatives? I'm curious. The Spurs have been without him most of the year and their shooting on the whole has been pretty poor. Finley's been good, but he's very streaky. And I certainly wouldn't want to hinge my hopes on Udoka in the playoffs.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #44
some_user86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
What are those alternatives? I'm curious. The Spurs have been without him most of the year and their shooting on the whole has been pretty poor. Finley's been good, but he's very streaky. And I certainly wouldn't want to hinge my hopes on Udoka in the playoffs.
The shooting has been piss poor because Parker has been out. Parker puts pressure on interior defenses. When everyone is collapsing on the slashers and the big men (Parker, Ginobili and Duncan), it allows a more open shot for the three point shooters. Without Parker, their slashing offense has stagnated, allowing opposing defenses to put more pressure on the shooters. It's kinda like watching a throwback game from 2000-2002 Spurs.

Last edited by some_user86; 02-21-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #45
some_user86

Proof is in the pudding.

Spurs are #5 in three pt shooting at .381 in the season so far, despite not having Barry for nearly two months (combined).

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortab...sortable1.html

I think Spurs, Suns, and Mavs fans are overrating Barry's usefulness to the Spurs.

Barry had averaged 3 ppg in 11.8 mpg at a clip of .306 3pt% in the playoffs last year. How useful is that?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #46
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Bowen and Ginobili are over 40%. Bonner and Finley are over 35%. Udoka's at 32%. Despite not being able to hit the broad side of a barn the first 3 months of the season, even Horry is shooting 42% in February.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #47
DelNegro

On a side note, Barry got waived today so that the Sonics could clear roster space to make their trade with Cleveland and Chicago.

See you in 30 days Brent!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #48
some_user86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
On a side note, Barry got waived today so that the Sonics could clear roster space to make their trade with Cleveland and Chicago.

See you in 30 days Brent!
Where did you see that?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #49
some_user86

Never mind, it's mentioned here: http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/trade080221.html

Wow.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #50
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_user86
The shooting has been piss poor because Parker has been out. Parker puts pressure on interior defenses. When everyone is collapsing on the slashers and the big men (Parker, Ginobili and Duncan), it allows a more open shot for the three point shooters. Without Parker, their slashing offense has stagnated, allowing opposing defenses to put more pressure on the shooters. It's kinda like watching a throwback game from 2000-2002 Spurs.
They've been missing wide open jumpers. A lot. It's not like I haven't been watching.

And they're still doing it tonight against the T-Wolves. I'm not convinced at all that Parker is the key to that. Parker is an incredible player but the Spurs (somewhat like the Mavs) don't have much from the perimeter anymore.

But, it looks like Barry will be back anyway, so it's all a moot point.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #51
some_user86

Not unless Suns or Mavs pick him up off the waivers...
Old 02-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #52
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703
Good for them~~~~
but they will not go any where

Where are they going? Where are you going? Come back, come back...

horsey...

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote