Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #121
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Personally, I'm not at all sure that Houston would trade Martin for Haywood and Roddy.
Me neither...because if they would the mavs would be all over that puppy...If nothing else to re-do woods contract.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #122
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
Martin's defensive shortcomings are my only reservation about him, but let's be serious. Are you acquiring Martin to be a defensive stopper? Furthermore, are you expecting Roddy to be a defensive stopper (or even be a really good defender)? If you answer "yes" to either question, then I'd submit that your expectations are unrealistic.
I think you are comparing Martin to Jet defensively imo...because at the end of the day, that's who's minutes he'll get..

And there will be a lot of 3guard lineups I expect.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 12-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #123
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
As Roddy sits out the first 25 games with a foot injury...
Make that 25+ with no timetable of return...
Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #124
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This hasn't really been publicized more than "the Rockets like Haywood" and "the Mavs have always liked Martin". Everything else has been pure conjecture, unless I missed something.

And I would say the Butler trade had a long lead up to it with many stories being written about the Mavs' interest in him.
Are you sure? I don't remember that at all, honestly. I remember long-standing discussions that we were definitely going to trade Howard, but I don't think Butler's name was ever mentioned more than just one of several guys we were potentially interested in. It's different when you start singling a guy out as a "target" or a person of interest on his own.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 12-17-2010 at 04:14 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #125
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Make that 25+ with no timetable of return...
Whats your point? Kevin Martin is even worse, missing 20+ games is normal season for him.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #126
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

change mind

Last edited by mavs777; 12-17-2010 at 08:58 PM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #127
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

I'm worried about the defense...I'm not sure if I want Chandler, Mahinmi and Ajinca as our centers to battle the Spurs or Lakers in the playoffs.

Martin would help with the offense but when was the last time he made the team he was on better?...

Last edited by Thomas86; 12-17-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #128
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Are you sure? I don't remember that at all, honestly. I remember long-standing discussions that we were definitely going to trade Howard, but I don't think Butler's name was ever mentioned more than just one of several guys we were potentially interested in. It's different when you start singling a guy out as a "target" or a person of interest on his own.
I'm not sure why it's different if he's alone or mentioned with other people. I don't think anyone has said "Martin is the primary target". All that's really been written is that the Mavs are interested. Or even that they have been in the past.

If someone other than Marc Stein was reporting that the Mavs were actively pursuing Martin, then I agree that I would be skeptical.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #129
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness View Post
Whats your point? Kevin Martin is even worse, missing 20+ games is normal season for him.
The point is that it's 20+ games with no timetable. How long are you willing to wait on potential
Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #130
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure why it's different if he's alone or mentioned with other people. I don't think anyone has said "Martin is the primary target". All that's really been written is that the Mavs are interested. Or even that they have been in the past.

If someone other than Marc Stein was reporting that the Mavs were actively pursuing Martin, then I agree that I would be skeptical.
I'm not "skeptical" that they like him, but I'm definitely skeptical that they'll get him, for several reasons.

And I think there's absolutely a distinction between the media singling out a guy as a target versus mentioning him in a group of potential candidates. Early in the process before the teams are anywhere near an agreement in principle, it hurts Team A's bargaining power if there are media reports talking specifically about their interest in Team B's player. It obviously becomes way less of an issue as you get closer to an agreement, but early on it can be pretty hindering.

If you're trying to acquire something of this value in an arms-length negotiation, you never want the other party reading/hearing third-party sources that say how interested you are. And you seem a lot more interested (even if that's not actually the case) if there are media stories specifically talking about your interest in that player, rather than that player as one of many. I think that's one of the reasons (surely not the only one) why you rarely see trades completed when there were early reports of the team's interest. Those types of reports have a chilling effect on the deal actually getting done.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 12-17-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #131
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not "skeptical" that they like him, but I'm definitely skeptical that they'll get him, for several reasons.

And I think there's absolutely a distinction between the media singling out a guy as a target versus mentioning him in a group of potential candidates. Early in the process before the teams are anywhere near an agreement in principle, it hurts Team A's bargaining power if there are media reports talking specifically about their interest in Team B's player. It obviously becomes way less of an issue as you get closer to an agreement, but early on it can be pretty hindering.

If you're trying to acquire something of this value in an arms-length negotiation, you never want the other party reading/hearing third-party sources say how interested you are. And you seem a lot more interested (even if that's not actually the case) if there are media stories specifically talking about your interest in that player, rather than that player as one of many.
Good point - I'm pretty sure that's why we ended up having to throw those draft picks in for Jason Kidd...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #132
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2b3mt3y
Old 12-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #133
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If you're trying to acquire something of this value in an arms-length negotiation, you never want the other party reading/hearing third-party sources that say how interested you are. And you seem a lot more interested (even if that's not actually the case) if there are media stories specifically talking about your interest in that player, rather than that player as one of many. I think that's one of the reasons (surely not the only one) why you rarely see trades completed when there were early reports of the team's interest. Those types of reports have a chilling effect on the deal actually getting done.
All that's been said, at all, is that "The Mavs are Kevin Martin guys". That's nothing. It has no bearing on anything.

Taken in the context of a hypothetical, I do agree with your premise to a point. But I think it only comes into play if someone well plugged in is reporting that a team is interested in a guy at the exclusion of all others (or at least much more than others).

The Mavs obviously have been very successful in making surprise trades in the past. They do better than most at keeping their information in house. But I don't believe the inverse, that the presence of a rumor decreases the chances that it will happen, at all.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #134
mavs777
Diamond Member

doesn't mean anything but martin beasting so far and apparently Memphis's team stayed in Memphis
Old 12-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #135
LonghornDub

Quote:
But I don't believe the inverse, that the presence of a rumor decreases the chances that it will happen, at all.
Empirical evidence from other teams would potentially indicate otherwise. Think about any big-name trade the past several years. How far in advance did you hear about it (i.e., that player to that particular team)? It's rarely more than a few days. Gasol to LA was pretty much the day of, as an example.

There's a question of causation there, but the presence of a rumor generally decreases the chance of a business acquisition happening in all contexts. It's a well-accepted principle of negotiation. I'm not sure why you'd claim that it doesn't apply to basketball deals, but unless you can give me some reason for that, I have to assume it does.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 12-17-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:29 AM   #136
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke with more personnel in the Mavs organization this evening, it'll get added in to the piece tomorrow on MMB.

A lot of it will be rehashing general aspects, but it will have those added things I've learned over the course of the day.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #137
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

while we're at it maybe we can trade kidd for cp3 and deshawn stevenson for kobe bryant and butler for kevin durant
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:53 AM   #138
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
while we're at it maybe we can trade kidd for cp3 and deshawn stevenson for kobe bryant and butler for kevin durant
That seems doubtful.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #139
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
That seems doubtful.
that was the point... this trade seems just as doubtful as those.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #140
mavs777
Diamond Member

The more I think about it the more I would think Houston won't do it unless its TC instead of Haywood.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:42 AM   #141
stuportremens

stuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
The more I think about it the more I would think Houston won't do it unless its TC instead of Haywood.
This is getting ridiculous. The last time he was traded, it was for Carl Landry. At this rate, soon somebody will argue that it takes at least Dirk and Roddy because Dirk alone won't do it.
stuportremens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #142
stuportremens

stuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
The point is that it's 20+ games with no timetable. How long are you willing to wait on potential
You do realize that Martin is a guy who misses 20+ games just about every season?
Roddy has one freak injury, Martin has a proven track record of missing 20+ games just about EVERY DAMN YEAR.

Last edited by stuportremens; 12-18-2010 at 03:49 AM.
stuportremens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #143
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
We're not so hard-up for a second scorer that we're gonna give up the guy who changed the identity of this team.

As a matter of fact, the Mavs look so good right now that we don't even NEED to make a trade to compete - we're fairly solid at every position, so we hold the cards when it comes to making deals.

I think we'd be doing Houston a favor if we traded Haywood to them, since there aren't many 7-footers available in this league... Otherwise, best of luck rebuilding your franchise, fellas - we're fine as-is.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-18-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #144
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Empirical evidence from other teams would potentially indicate otherwise. Think about any big-name trade the past several years. How far in advance did you hear about it (i.e., that player to that particular team)? It's rarely more than a few days. Gasol to LA was pretty much the day of, as an example.

There's a question of causation there, but the presence of a rumor generally decreases the chance of a business acquisition happening in all contexts. It's a well-accepted principle of negotiation. I'm not sure why you'd claim that it doesn't apply to basketball deals, but unless you can give me some reason for that, I have to assume it does.
You really don't think anyone ever wrote "the Lakers like Gasol" before the trade got serious?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #145
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

The Mavericks dislike Deron Williams very much.

I think I just landed us DWill!
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #146
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, first off, I don't like the chances of this trade actually being pulled off. I don't see the upside for Houston, giving up a young(ish) scorer like Martin for a center who possibly could be solid, but not any better than that. Martin is scoring 23 ppg right now? He possibly could be even better. Haywood is a 10 points 12 board guy at his ceiling right now, and he's four years older. I know the Rockets are lacking center depth, but its not so bad they are prepared to give up their number one scorer to do so.

I remember I wanted Martin last year. He was my preferred player, out of the trio of Butler, Iguodala and him. I like Martin, and he will score if he comes here. He's not a "bad team" scorer or whatever, he's just a scorer. He shoots and he gets to the line. Those are universal skills, which work in every offense. He doesn't have to have certain pieces around him, or a lack of certain pieces, to score. Obviously, his scoring will drop some because there are a lot of veterans used to shooting the ball on this team, but I'd be shocked if it was not within a point or two of 20 ppg.

My problem is whether our defense could absorb the addition of Martin and stay elite. Our defense was not elite last year, so I wanted Martin so that our offense could be elite. Obviously, that's changed. It'd be freaking stupid to gain elite status on one of the ends of the court, and then throw it away due to a rash player acquisition. Martin is pretty awful on that end, by all accounts, and he doesn't get steals or draw charges like JJB and Terry do to help make up for it. I'm not saying Martin would come in and cause our defense to plummet to 15th in the league or something like that, I'm just saying that if the Mavericks fear he would inversely affect the defense, he has no place on this team.

I also hate losing Roddy, because he's one of those few explosive penetrators. Martin drives and draws fouls, but he's not ridiculously explosive like Beaubois is. 80% of his shots are still jumpers (I'd give you Roddy's % but 82games is acting odd right now). Roddy, on the other hand, can basically get into the lane every possession if he wants. Even when he doesn't take shots, the penetration and subsequent collapse of the defense opens up open jump shots for our primarily jump shooting team. That's why Roddy is such a great fit for this team, and I don't think Martin is the same sort of player at all. That right there is why I'd be really, really hesistant to trade away Roddy right now, no matter who we were trading him for.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #147
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
The Mavericks dislike Deron Williams very much.

I think I just landed us DWill!
Sweet. I doubt you know this, because its not like people talk about it all the time, but he's from the Colony.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #148
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Unless we see another source say something in the next couple days, I'm gonna chalk it up to Fish blowing hot air again.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #149
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

here's my article

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2010/12...te-trade-offer
Old 12-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #150
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Unless we see another source say something in the next couple days, I'm gonna chalk it up to Fish blowing hot air again.
Well, it depends on what you mean by hot air. I'm sure there is interest on both sides. I don't think there will be anything close to a compromise between the two sides, though. That's where Fish gets it wrong. He reports that Kevin Martin is available, he reports that Haywood is desired by Houston, and somehow, 2+2=27. Now we have Beaubois/Haywood for Martin rumors floating around. In actuality, its just interest from two teams for two players on the other team, which no real deal even being close to being completed. This isn't something Fish is completely pulling out of his ass, but not really true either.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #151
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I love you BG. That was awesome, and I now officially have way more hope than I did before. I still think any deal is quite doubtful, but pointing out that the Rockets have a quantity of wing players was something I had overlooked.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #152
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

http://twitter.com/KBerg_CBS

"Done deal," @CBSSports source says. #Rockets tried to get in mix for Gortat, with Kevin Martin going to #Magic, but "couldn't get it done."

Maybe Caron would be enough of an addition instead of Roddy. He is a similar asset to Vince.

Last edited by FreshJive; 12-18-2010 at 03:02 PM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #153
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future
Default HOU tried for Gortat, offered Kevin Martin

HOU tried for Gortat, offered Kevin Martin
KBerg_CBS

"Done deal," @CBSSports source says. #Rockets tried to get in mix for Gortat, with Kevin Martin going to #Magic, but "couldn't get it done."

So they're definetely willing to trade Martin for a center.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #154
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
KBerg_CBS

If they offered Martin for Gortat, then you'd have to imagine they'd go for Haywood.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #155
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
KBerg_CBS

Very interesting. Wish I knew which other players were being discussed so I could get a better idea of how Martin's being valued in trade discussions. Any way you slice it, though, if you want the Mavericks to land him in a Haywood-centered deal, this has to be an encouraging piece of news.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #156
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

http://twitter.com/TheRocketGuy

The Rockets DID NOT offer Martin. They were interested in Gortat, and offered several scenarios, but never offered Martin.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #157
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Very interesting. Wish I knew which other players were being discussed so I could get a better idea of how Martin's being valued in trade discussions. Any way you slice it, though, if you want the Mavericks to land him in a Haywood-centered deal, this has to be an encouraging piece of news.
It goes back to what I said in my article, he's expendable based on their depth at the position. Add to it that he's their biggest asset in terms of landing what they'd want...it would look promising for a Dallas angle
Old 12-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #158
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
http://twitter.com/TheRocketGuy

The Rockets DID NOT offer Martin. They were interested in Gortat, and offered several scenarios, but never offered Martin.
That still leaves an option open though. It wouldn't be the sexy route though. Like I said, there is going to be interest on both sides...it might not be a home run talent wise but it could still work favorable for both sides.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #159
LonghornDub

Quote:
You really don't think anyone ever wrote "the Lakers like Gasol" before the trade got serious?
I don't remember one way or another. I certainly can't affirmatively say there wasn't, but I don't remember reading anything to that effect. I can say I was completely blindsided by the deal.

But when you phrase it like that and how Fisher wrote his column, you're right that there may not be indication of a serious level of interest (the kind I'm talking about anyway). If all he really said was "the Mavs are Kevin Martin guys," that's not much. I had to go back and read it again because my initial impression was he was saying more than that.

Also, it's possible I'm giving Fish too much credit in terms of his credibility and readership anyway.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #160
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Wonder if that's just a COV on the Rockets part so Martin's value doesn't drop.

Tags
return of the quack!