Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Who's the sorriest teammate on the Mavs?
Stackhouse 59 67.05%
Terry 1 1.14%
Diop 1 1.14%
Howard 0 0%
Dirk 3 3.41%
Griffin 0 0%
Harris 0 0%
Daniels 6 6.82%
Dampier 9 10.23%
someone else 9 10.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #41
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

The more I think about Stackhouse's comments, the more it makes me mad. Think of anyone on the Pistons. Would any of them say Billups isn't it? Now everyone on the Cavs. Would any of LeBron's teammates say he's NOT the MVP? How about last year when Steve Nash won it, do you think any Sun would have said "I think Shaq's the MVP?" I just don't see it, the more I think about it, the worse it sounds. Either say something nice or nothing at all, this is bullcrap. You don't think Dirk's the MVP, it doesn't matter, the least you can do is not say outright a guy who is clearly NOT the MVP, don't give a straight answer, that's an unwritten rule.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #42
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't get why Dirk is even on the poll.

As for Stack - going against his own teammate was wrong but his reason for going with Kobe made the whole thing even worse. It wasn't 'Kobe is the hardest player I've played against' or 'Kobe is the best player on both ends of the court' or 'Kobe's done the most for his team'. It's about the 81 game, which shows what qualities Stack values (high scoring numbers, record-breaking). And they don't make for the good teammate values.

I give him credit for not bitching when becoming a non-starter but as a teammate, little else.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #43
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Stackhouse and Dampier but now Stackhouse has been the sorriest teammate after that comment.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 04-13-2006 at 01:44 PM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #44
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Who needs enemies when you have a teammate like Stackhouse?!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #45
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
he said he would vot Kobe as MVP. Without Kobe, the lakers would be lost
wow. I don't know how I missed that. what an ass. that's just pathetic. wish I could go back and change my vote. I voted Damp just because at times he seems disinterested.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:33 PM   #46
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
Hehe. I didn't know that.
When you're creating a poll, you can decide whether or not you want who votes for which option to be viewable.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #47
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I don't know about you guys, but I've been very impressed with Stackhouse's professionalism and dedication to his teammates. I guess I expected the worse from Stack considering his past. He feels deep in his heart that he's a starting NBA swingman and that 75% of the NBA can't hold his jock... yet you didn't hear him complain once.

Sure, if you asked he'd tell you "Yes, I feel as though I'm a starter". But he didn't make noise. He just accepted his role.

It's kind of like the Antawn Jamison situation... except that Jerry Stackhouse isn't going to demand a trade in the offseason.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:06 PM   #48
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, most of us don't agree with you.
He doesn't deserve to be a starter on this team. He's horribly inconsistent. He plays no defense. He obviously thinks way too highly of himself. And, he just shit on a teammate.

It is nice of him to accept a role coming off of the bench...especially since that's what he needs to be doing..coming off of the bench.

Yes, he could have been sorrier than he has been, but it's obvious that he's very bitter about not being the guy.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #49
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I don't think Dirk give two shits what Stackhouse said. The only people who are going to be offended are loser fans who make a habit of swinging from Dirk's nut sack.

I guarantee you there isn't one dude in that locker room who doesn't respect Jerry Stackhouse.. both for his skills as well as his professionalism.

And yes, Jerry Stackhouse is a legit NBA starter. It's a laughable that someone would suggest otherwise. He just might be the second best player on this team. If not the second, then certainly the third. The problem that Maverick fans have with him, I'm convinced, is based on the fact that their fragile hearts can't stand it when a player takes away shots from Dirk. Most people on this board would prefer a Mavericks team in which 4 guys do nothing on offense but jsut pass the ball to Dirk on every possession and watch him chunk up shots.

Wipe the juice from your pussy and get over it. This team needs alternative scoring options. Jerry is the second best scorer on this team. The Mavericks need him.

Last edited by madape; 04-13-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #50
Murphy3
Guru

I guarantee you that every player in that locker room will had to do a double take when they heard those comments.

Of course Dirk cares. Don't be freaking ridiculous. You always care what your teammates have to say about you and you always want them to have your back.

Madape, we've put up with your dumb shit long enough. Get your head out of your ass and contribute something or get lost.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #51
madape
Diamond Member

Fuck you Murphy.

Your loud mouth has been flapping on this board for years without a single intelligent thing to say. You are the least interesting, least funny person on this board. You bore me to tears.

There are people on this board I enjoy arguing with... people who I disagree with but who can argue intelligently and have interesting things to say.

You are not one of them.

You never have been.

I wish you would have gone away years ago.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:09 PM   #52
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

This poll should be "who do want to kick the shit out of the most (at this time)?" Stack is not anywhere close to the worst player by far. Diop brings a bag with him every night just like Bradley did.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #53
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blab's Nemesis
This poll should be "who do want to kick the shit out of the most (at this time)?" Stack is not anywhere close to the worst player by far. Diop brings a bag with him every night just like Bradley did.
It isn't about worst player; it's about worst teammate. You are right, Stack isn't the worst player on the team. I don't know if he is the worst teammate either. However, I do have a problem with Stack saying the MVP of the league is someone on another team. Even if he truly feels that Kobe deserves it, he needs to support Dirk in the media. Or at the very least, say that the race is close this year and several players are deserving, including Dirk.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #54
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
Fuck you Murphy.

Your loud mouth has been flapping on this board for years without a single intelligent thing to say. You are the least interesting, least funny person on this board. You bore me to tears.

There are people on this board I enjoy arguing with... people who I disagree with but who can argue intelligently and have interesting things to say.

You are not one of them.

You never have been.

I wish you would have gone away years ago.
Madape, you let me down. I was looking forward to a long Madape rant all night and this is all I get?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #55
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I don't think Dirk cares either.

One, he would have to want to win MVP (maybe he does but nothing he's said or done would indicate so). Two, he would have to expect to be the MVP (he may think so internally but everything he's said has indicated otherwise). Three, he would have to not realize Stack's opinion is meaningless. Fourth, Dirk knows Dirk is the shit - which is why I think he doesn't care about winning the MVP - he does not need validation from press writers, Stackhouse or even the fans for that matter.

I don't care though. As a fan of Dirk's, I'd like to see him be crowned as the league's Most Valuable Player and I think Stackhouse is A) wrong about his choice and B) taking sides vs the family.

Last edited by rabbitproof; 04-13-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #56
Murphy3
Guru

Of course he wants to win the MVP. Every player WANTS to win the MVP. No, he's not going to put stats ahead of what's best for the team, but there's no doubt that the guy wants to win the MVP. Why would anyone believe otherwise?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:17 PM   #57
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

I don't think every player wants to win a MVP. Not to make it a foreign baller thing but I don't think Yao Ming would want to win MVP either. MVP is really all about the individual even if records are part of the judgement process.

Dirk has always been about the team. Nothing he's ever done or said has indicated he wants individual recgonition.

I could be wrong but I don't think Dirk gives a flip if he wins a MVP or not through his career. His season will not be better or worse with or without a MVP.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #58
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Although that comment by Stack was VERY disappointing (great post raef), I cannot see how anyone could think Stack is not one of the best players on this team.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #59
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure he wants to be the MVP. Who wouldn't? It's the respect and admiration of your peers..

He was pretty happy to win the 3-pt shootout.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:22 PM   #60
Murphy3
Guru

Well, he's obviously not one of the worst. I don't think most would argue that he is one of the worst. He is a miserable teammate though. I don't think he should start on this team simply because of his inconsistency coupled with the Mavs needs.

As for Rabbitproof, you're smoking some serious crack. Of course they want to win the MVP. But yes, they want to put the team first... but they'd love for the MVP to come along with that.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:25 PM   #61
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Aye, serious crack is better then silly crack.

Okay, a MVP is nice and I probably should not have reduced it to 'doesn't want to win MVP'. Sure, if you asked Dirk "Would you rather win a MVP or not win a MVP?", Dirk would probably say "win a MVP". My bad.

That said, I still don't think it's important to him.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #62
raefformvp
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Of course he wants to win the MVP. Every player WANTS to win the MVP. No, he's not going to put stats ahead of what's best for the team, but there's no doubt that the guy wants to win the MVP. Why would anyone believe otherwise?
I agree with you. Kind of like the TOY award (teacher of the year). Every teacher I know WANTS to win that award, but I'm not going to do things out of the ordinary to see that I win it. I'm going to teach as I normally do, doing what's best for my students even if it doesn't get me personal recognition. I think that everyone wants to be recognized as the best in their field, and there's not anything wrong with that.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #63
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i am not voting!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:30 PM   #64
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Raef, that is how I think Dirk approaches it. And in that instance, if you were up for consideration, would you care if a teacher you worked with said "I think XYZ teacher deserves to win the TOY."?

Old 04-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #65
raefformvp
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
Raef, that is how I think Dirk approaches it. And in that instance, if you were up for consideration, would you care if a teacher you worked with said "I think XYZ teacher deserves to win the TOY."?
If it was TOY for the district and one of my fellow English teachers at my school said the teacher from the school across town deserves it because she has done so much to help her students achieve, I'd be a bit miffed. Maybe that teacher did do more, but I would want my co-workers to support me.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #66
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure this is completely true. Being recognized in such a way brings with it a certain level of obligation, or responsibility. Now, I don't believe this applies to Dirk, but there are definitely people who deep down, whether they know it or not, actually don't *want* to succeed, because they fear the ramifications.

Also known as choking.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #67
Murphy3
Guru

Well, Chum, I do know what you're saying...However, I don't think that applies to anyone that's anywhere near consideration for the MVP....
Old 04-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #68
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
Madape, you let me down. I was looking forward to a long Madape rant all night and this is all I get?
you aren't worth the time
Old 04-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #69
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

I get what you're saying. I guess I'm a different cat. Personally, I wouldn't care what my coworker thinks, my work speaks for itself. If you choose to compare and how you choose to compare is your business. I know what I've done.

In that manner, I don't think Dirk cares what Stack thinks. Stack's dumb mouth changes nothing in the world of Dirk.

Also, in that same manner, I really hope Dirk doesn't care what a panel of sportswriters think about his skills or accomplishments.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:00 PM   #70
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Stack is looking sharp tonight-- I like watching Mavs game when he's looking this sharp out there
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #71
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
I get what you're saying. I guess I'm a different cat. Personally, I wouldn't care what my coworker thinks, my work speaks for itself. If you choose to compare and how you choose to compare is your business. I know what I've done.

In that manner, I don't think Dirk cares what Stack thinks. Stack's dumb mouth changes nothing in the world of Dirk.

Also, in that same manner, I really hope Dirk doesn't care what a panel of sportswriters think about his skills or accomplishments.
Of course Dirk cares what Stack thinks. They're teammates. If he doesn't care, then there are some serious issues with the team.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #72
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Dirk doesn't care what Stack thinks. Atleast from judging his actions and words, he doesn't. I don't know what you're judging this by? His facial expressions? His thoughts?

They're coworkers, not best pals. Do you care what every coworker you work with thinks about you?

Old 04-13-2006, 11:10 PM   #73
Murphy3
Guru

Common sense... If you don't have it, I'm sorry.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:19 PM   #74
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Attack me if you want. I don't care. You are my Stackhouse.

I just don't believe in going life assuming the thoughts of others when all you have to judge them by are their actions and their words. And with that, Dirk has not given me reason to believe he cares about what Stack said. If Dirk does something or says anything to show me otherwise, I reserve the right to change my opinion.

G'day.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:40 PM   #75
Murphy3
Guru

Why in the world would you believe that a teammate wouldn't care what another teammate thought when it came to something like this? Give me some logical reason.

Dirk cared about winning the 3pt contest. He cared about not being voted onto the All-Star team. Why would you think that he doesn't care about this?

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-13-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:14 AM   #76
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Because that teammate's opinion doesn't change anything. Dirk will still play his game. Kobe will still play his. We will still have our opinion. Voters will still vote. And that is that. What's to care about Stack's mouth from Dirk's POV?

"Why would you think that he doesn't care about this?"

I don't know if by 'this' you are referring to Stack's comments or the MVP. I addressed why he wouldn't care about Stack's comments above (because his comments are non-consequential).

As for MVP, I've acknowledged that Dirk may want to win the MVP, particularly since he's going for it vs Nash, but I do not think it is important to him. Maybe it is and he hides it well but from his quotes, his demeanor, reaction to the chants, praising other candidates.. it's appears to be a very secondary objective - if one at all.

Last edited by rabbitproof; 04-14-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #77
Murphy3
Guru

I just cannot comprehend why you would believe that one teammate wouldn't care what another teammate thinks. I take it you didn't play alot of team sports growing up.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:47 AM   #78
bonitaapplebum

bonitaapplebum is on a distinguished road

I did, of course, add to the landslide. His demeanor coupled with his game are very, very Antoine-like (with an intermittently better J). I think he's trade-able this offseason to a rebuilding team willing to accept his view of himsel. And, with KVH gone, Stack's leaving will open up playing time for someone really on board with the role that he's supposed to be playing right now.

As a natural (to me, at least) aside . . . I think Jet's custom-made for the 6th man role on a bona fide contender. Lose Stack and KVH, add someone young instead, keep Griffin and Powell, make Jet the 6th man, do nothing big, and I think we've made progress. Forgive me for going off the thread here . . .
bonitaapplebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:07 AM   #79
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

I played football and rugby growing up.

And don't try to twist it. Of course, it's important what a teammate thinks - but crucial to this thought is what they are thinking about. Aka the subject.

Thoughts on play call/strategy = important.
Thoughts on training/practice routines = important.
Thoughts on opponent tendencies = important.

Thoughts on who shoots the prettiest 3 ball = not important.
Thoughts on who has the easiest defensive assignment = not important.
Thoughts on who is the MVP = not important.

Who cares what your teammate's personal preferences are so long as jobs get done, assignments are followed and plays are made. That's one thing I learned from team sports. Otherwise, you will always find people you don't get along with.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:15 AM   #80
Murphy3
Guru

I never said that it was crucial.... I only said that they care about what they think. And who cares? Everyone cares. You want your teammate to have your back with something like that. Not having it speaks very poorly of Stackhouse. You're not going to see Zydrunas Ilgauskas saying that someone other than Lebron should be the MVP.