Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Suns/Mavs Thoughts

In the spirit of Easter, the Mavs laid another egg tonight...at least for the first 3 quarters.

I don't think anyone should be surprised at the loss. In fact, it almost seems to me like Dallas was almost half-way expecting it. This team gives the impression that they are the number four seed in the West. They even kind of act like that's what they prefer. And that doesn't even begin to take into account the fact that this was the third game in four days in three different cities on this road trip.

It just sure does seem like a strange time to rest two of your five starters if the most important thing to you and your team is getting the win?

What I was most disappointed in was the manner in which the team lost. They seemed not to care, and for the biggest portion of the game just didn't care. The defense was bad. The offense was equally terrible. The team played with no discipline for the second night in a row. In short, it was an ugly effort. I think that's what the Mavs should be most concerned about - the way they are playing.

I guess I was proud of the nice run that Dallas had in the fourth quarter to try to steal the game. It's frustrating at the same time though to know that the team probably gets the win, despite all the adversity, if they just play that way from the tip. It's embarrassing too to know that as soon as the Suns got in trouble they called on the former Mavs to get back into the game and get the victory.

Dirk, basically, was the only guy who I thought came to play. It's worked out that way several times lately. That bothers me to no end. Dirk had 36 and 11. So much for that whole "Marion shuts down Dirk" argument. But Dirk was really the only guy on the team who showed any competitiveness and fire. I'm happy that Dirk did that, but I'm speechless about his teammates not doing that.

I was very disappointed with Jason Terry and Josh Howard tonight. Both of them finished the nights with respectable enough stat lines (18 points each). Those numbers are misleading though. They don't consider Terry's sloppy ball handling and bad decisions. Those numbers don't deal with Josh Howard insisting on playing the Suns game by forcing shots and helping the opponents by setting their tempo. Those numbers don't tell you how the two players sometimes completely seemed to forget to close out on the Phoenix shooters. They were very disappointing, and those are two of the leaders on this team.

The centers have to be evaluated somewhat differently in a game against the Suns. Phoenix insists on playing so fast and forcing so many mismatches that a center is going to have a tough time. DJ got the start in place of Diop, who sat for no apparent reason. Damp stayed in his customary reserve role. The problem is that neither center was a difference maker in this game. Damp, in particular, looked a step slow all night long. I want the Mavs to be able to establish dominance in the lane. Despite controlling the boards, I never really thought they did. That was discouraging to me.

It was really nice to see Devin and Griff back on the floor. Both of them showed some glimpses of the things this team is going to need to be successful. It almost goes without saying just how key those players are to this team. If the Mavs are going to get back to being the team they were in January and February, those players are going to be a big part of it.

How Josh Powell caught one of those wide-open alley-oop passes yet? What good does it do to be able to out-jump everyone else and have the ball bounce off your hands for another turnover?

I thought Darrell Armstrong was a key for the Mavs in getting back into the game. He brought energy, which is something that almost no one else did. He even knocked down some deep open jumpers.

In the end, as I mentioned, what bothers me most isn't the loss. It was the way the team lost. They didn't compete very hard for most of the night, and when they did decide to play hard, they never did really play smart. The good news is that, in the long run, it doesn't matter. The Mavs are #4. Nothing is changing that. The most important thing is just to get healthy. And for those who are very worried about momentum, rest easy. Momentum comes and goes in exactly one game in the playoffs. In that respect, what happens in the regular season really doesn't matter.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2006, 12:54 AM   #2
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I think at this poin it doesnt matter. We'll get the 4 spot. Everyone says teams and players prove themselves in the playoffs. So i think we should just wait till then. Not a good loss to the Suns but...I am sure everyone saw the physical play of the team and Dirk's fire. I think it was a good sign heading into the playoffs and we'll prove oueselves there.

Dirk had an amazing game and if he plays like that in the playoff we wont lose.
Mbenga is good.....we need to keep him.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 04-14-2006 at 12:56 AM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:59 AM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

These losses are very sickening and disappointing. It's frustrating to see the Mavs play with so little energy and purpose. This needs to be corrected in a hurry. Only two good things happened tonight, 1. Dirk played fantstically, outplaying Nash by a lot. 2. It was great to see Devin finally suck it up and get out there.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

You know, in recent memory I can't recall so many people lined up on the cliff after a loss.

Someone help me push.

(btw, not necessarily referring to any posts in this thread)

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-14-2006 at 01:07 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:08 AM   #5
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Like i said in the GDT

People need to stop panicking..We'll take the 4 spot and win. If we are good enough to win it all we will win weather we r the #1 or #4 spot. The loss was bad but there were good signs in this game that if we take into the playoff will help us win.

So every1 just chillax.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 04-14-2006 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:13 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I concur that people shouldn't panic. Yes, there are things to look out for..but, the Mavs should at least have some time to figure it out. Regardless of who they play in the first round, they will be significantly better than their opponent. In the second round, I like the Mavs over the Spurs. Yes, the Suns could cause the Mavs some issues, but that's a long ways away. There's no guarantee that either team gets there. But if they both do, I think the Mavs can play significantly better than they did tonight on offense and defense.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:16 AM   #7
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

We can beat the Spurs, but we can also beat the Suns. If they had Amare it would be a lot harder because he is the one that always caused us problems and no1 on this team can guard him. But since he is out adjustments will b made and we will beat the Suns if it gets to that.

........GO MAVS
Old 04-14-2006, 01:22 AM   #8
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I sure hope I'm not the one coming across as panicking. I think the team is perfectly happy at #4 right now. I almost get the feeling that they like this matchup better than they would the #8 seed, but that's just me.

Regardless, as I mentioned, the key thing is getting everyone healthy again. I believe the Mavs can beat anyone. I think right now we are just seeing the effects of a long season and tough road trip. They'll be fine...
Old 04-14-2006, 01:28 AM   #9
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
I sure hope I'm not the one coming across as panicking. I think the team is perfectly happy at #4 right now. I almost get the feeling that they like this matchup better than they would the #8 seed, but that's just me.

Regardless, as I mentioned, the key thing is getting everyone healthy again. I believe the Mavs can beat anyone. I think right now we are just seeing the effects of a long season and tough road trip. They'll be fine...

ddh3, I just brought it up here because I consider it the official post-game thread.

You seem to be of sound mind and body....or..something like that.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-14-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:31 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33

I don't know who the color guy was on tnt tonight but he's pretty dang good. He mentioned the mavs being mentally tired and I think they are as well. I would like to see them take the next two games to get to 61 wins so they can eclipse the 02-03 team. But other than that they really look ready for the regular season to be over.

Spurs too it seems. Phoenix who the hell knows, if you are going to make 70% of your 3's it's all fun.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:44 AM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs are selling pussy lately. I'm so sick of this locked-into-the-four-seed talk I don't know what to do. You know what that is? That's an EXCUSE. That's an excuse to play bad basketball. They sat two heavy-minute players tonight, despite reports to the contrary that said they wouldn't get guys "out of rhythm."

You know what's out of rhythm? This Mavs team is out of rhythm. They looked like Cleveland tonight, which is to say a team with one superlative player and a bunch of crap around him. Call it a diamond in amongst the garbage, if you remember Emmitt Smith's complaint.

Maybe it's just beyond me, but I don't understand how sitting down two of your starters helps you get ready for the postseason--especially when there is still a chance you might move up in the standings. I hope Stack and Diop are well-rested for that Memphis series. Oh, boy, I hope this rest did them well.

Junior-high stuff. Junior high. AJ tried to make some grand statement tonight, and all he got was an ass kicking at the hands of a likely WCF foe, if by some stroke of luck the Mavs are able to make it that far.

This is not the guy to coach us to a Finals victory. He may be one day, but today he's the rookie that he is. He'll be exposed in the postseason, about as much as he was last year. Because he hasn't learned anything since last year. A couple weeks ago his team--the team that is supposed to play by an ingrained "system"--needed a couple of practices, and the losses that came along with them, to "get back to basics." They needed to re-learn things like staying in front of your man on defense, things that all of us learned in junior-high basketball. And all throughout the season, after every loss it has been: We need to get better in that regard.

Well guess what? There's no more time to get better. The time is now. Take the rest, if that will help you. But it won't teach you anything you don't know already.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:50 AM   #12
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Right now my interest in the Mavs is at a season low. When we went down 18, I calmly turned on my Xbox 360 and played about 10 games of Fifa 06. I just didn't give a sh*t tonite
Old 04-14-2006, 01:58 AM   #13
mary
Troll Hunter

I think alot of people are completely overlooking the biggest concern of all.

Those green jersies have been seriously lacking the mojo this year.

They need to be waived.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:00 AM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Starting by your avatar!
Old 04-14-2006, 02:06 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
The Mavs are selling pussy lately.
I've got twenty bucks!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:08 AM   #16
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Suns keep Mavs from eclipsing Spurs

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

PHOENIX -- Simple arithmetic shows the Mavericks still have a chance to finish with the best record in the Western Conference.

The reality is not nearly as hopeful. Avery Johnson revealed where his priorities lie in Thursday night’s 117-104 loss to the Phoenix Suns.

Moments after San Antonio lost to Orlando, the Mavericks took the court at U.S. Airways Center with D.J. Mbenga as the starting center for the first time this season. Adrian Griffin, who has played a total of 11 minutes in the last month, joined him as the veteran tries to work his way back from a strained hamstring.

Johnson has maintained for weeks that he’s more concerned with his team’s health and mental well-being heading into the playoffs than he is with the No. 1 seed. Any doubt about the sincerity of those remarks was erased with Johnson’s lineup against the Suns in the first half.

“We pretty much know where we’re going to finish now,’’ Johnson said. “The only thing that really matters to us is to get guys healthy mentally and physically. We’ll continue to try to do that.

“I believe in this team.’’

That doesn’t mean the Mavericks dismissed this game. Johnson settled into a rotation in the second half that he will use again during the playoffs and watched that group reduce what had been a 21-point deficit to six points on two occasions. Dirk Nowitzki attacked Shawn Marion, the defender who tormented him in playoffs last season, and the Mavericks administered some hard fouls when the Suns drove the basket. Erick Dampier and Darrell Armstrong picked up flagrant fouls, and Nowitzki was hit with a technical.

“Dallas and us are two of the better teams in the West,’’ Suns guard Raja Bell said. “There’s always some emotion.’’

What the Mavericks couldn’t do was stop a 3-point barrage that saw Phoenix go 16-of-24 from long range.

But again, there was more to this game for the Mavericks than perimeter defense.

“There are some positives aside from what happened on the basketball court that I’m taking into account,’’ Johnson said.

“Obviously, you don’t want to wear guys out,’’ said Nowitzki, who finished with 36 points and 11 rebounds. “You want to get guys playing time and have everyone feeling good about themselves going into the playoffs.’’

Wednesday’s loss to Golden State provided the impetus for the Mavericks to back off in their chase of the Spurs. Johnson was pleased with his team’s defensive effort as recently as four days ago when the Mavericks opened this road trip with a 75-73 win over the Los Angeles Clippers. But his team gave up 95 points in the final three quarters of that loss to the Warriors and 90 in the first three of this loss to the Suns. That defense stiffened when Phoenix managed just 10 points in the first six-and-a-half minutes of the fourth.

Still, it was the loss to Golden State that weighed on Johnson’s mind as he sat in the visitors lockerroom 90 minutes before tip off against the Suns.

“I don’t move on from losses,’’ Johnson said. “I haven’t mastered that part of coaching. Maybe I’ll do that after 15 years. I didn’t master that point as a player. It’s even worse now as a coach."

Johnson indicated his team was playing solid defense 80 to 90 percent of the time, but quickly added, “I guess I’m looking for that 100 percent.’’ He said the team’s internal leadership, something he criticized Wednesday night, was progressing but not at the rate he would like.

Johnson knows it’s a lot to ask. But he doesn’t apologize.

“I think for us to get where I envision us going,’’ Johnson said, “there can not be any compromise.’’

And after the game?

“We’re not there, in either area, mentally or physically,’’ Johnson said. “Hopefully, we’ll be there in eight or nine days.’’
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:23 AM   #17
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Devin Harris making the most of his 7.5 minutes with two trips to the stripe, a rebound, and a dish (+TO). Hope the kid is able to hit the ground running in the next few games.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:19 AM   #18
candid_snoop41
Golden Member

candid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the rough

nice to have devin back...get him healthy for the playoffs

There is just 1 guy ,who delivers night in and night out - dirk. Is it possible to get some help for the MVP???Please...you terrys,howards and damps out there STEP IT UP

Ah and yes..in order to advance in the playoffs you have to guard the threeballs...70% is pathetic

BUT as long as dirk wears a mav uniform and the other guys show some fire as well,we'll be as good as anybody in the playoffs...

Go Mavs
Old 04-14-2006, 04:30 AM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I saw a total lack of composure and focus tonight. This game would have been a LOT different if we had just made a few shots and followed through on defensive assignments a couple more times.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:38 AM   #20
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

The most discouraging thing about today's lost is after that AJ rant that occured at the Warriors post game interview I expected this team to play with fire under their ass. I'm not sure if its because the Mavs just didn't respond to AJ's coaching very well or is it because he just didn't get on the them for their last performance. That Warriors game should've prepared us for what we were going to see tonight. Warriors have no Nash but AJ knew what this team would face when it came to the Suns and it was going to be similiar to the Warriors game. Mavs attempted to beat the Suns at their own game. That's the same thing I use to hate Nellie for. Playing into the hands of the other team's game. Not sure why he sat out Diop and Stack. You could argue that they probably wouldn't have made a difference but if the alternative was Dampier I think we could've used Diop.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:47 AM   #21
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Avery can't shake loss

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

PHOENIX -- Mavericks coach Avery Johnson understands that the loss to Golden State on Wednesday, no matter how disappointing, is just one out of 82 games.

But that doesn't make it any easier.

"I don't move on from losses," Johnson said before Thursday night's game against Phoenix. "I haven't mastered that part of coaching. Maybe I will after 50 years. I didn't master that part as a player, so it's even worse now as a coach.

"We were also disappointed. For some reason or another we just hadn't played well against the at team. I guess veteran coaches would say, 'Oh, just chalk it up.' I'm just not there yet."

Frustration bordering on anger poured from Johnson after the lottery-bound Warriors dominated the Mavs 114-102.

He went so far as suggest the team, coaches included, give owner Mark Cuban back their one game's worth of pay.

Coaches, no matter the sport, have always said the victories fade, while the losses stick a long time.

Johnson might only be in his first full season as a coach, with a sparkling record of 75-22 going into Thursday, but he's no different.

"When you have one of them, it always seems like it's 10," he said of losses. "Somebody told me we've only lost 20 games this year, but when we lose it always seems like we lost five in a row."

Johnson was still calling for more "internal leadership" on Thursday, with Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse the prime suspects. Johnson said leadership has been there, it's just not at the level he wants it to be.

"As point guard of the team, it's my job to get us focused, get us energized and get us going," Terry said of Warriors loss. "I didn't do that."

Harris returns

Backup point guard Devin Harris returned to live action against Phoenix, a game earlier than expected.

"We could have done it Sunday," Avery Johnson said of the home game against Utah, "but Sunday may delay us too much for the playoffs."

Harris checked in midway through the first period and immediately displayed some of the quickness and penetrating ability missing from the Mavs' attack.

Working out of the weave, Harris drove to the basket and earned a pair of free throws. The plan was for Harris not to play more than 10 minutes or so.

"We just want to let him get his feet wet," Johnson said. "This game won't even have any barometer on what we think. This is just a night to get him on the floor, play a few minutes."

After missing 22 games with a strained quadriceps since Feb. 10, Harris wasn't about to put too much pressure on himself before the game.

"No expectations," he said. "Just try to get my feet back under me, get comfortable and get out there running with the plays. I don't expect to go out there and be absolutely effective."

Roster shake-up

With the last three games basically meaningless in terms of the Western Conference -- even with San Antonio's loss Thursday to Orlando -- Avery Johnson took a few liberties with the lineup.

Jerry Stackhouse, the starting shooting guard the past 10 games, was inactive, and Adrian Griffin started.

DeSagana Diop's 43-game starting streak at center came to an end, with third-teamer DJ Mbenga receiving the nod.

Ten Mavs played in the first quarter, an obvious move by Johnson to spread more playing time around.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:07 AM   #22
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh... I am sooo sick of the regular season...
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 AM   #23
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
With the last three games basically meaningless in terms of the Western Conference -- even with San Antonio's loss Thursday to Orlando -- Avery Johnson took a few liberties with the lineup.

Jerry Stackhouse, the starting shooting guard the past 10 games, was inactive, and Adrian Griffin started.

DeSagana Diop's 43-game starting streak at center came to an end, with third-teamer DJ Mbenga receiving the nod.

Ten Mavs played in the first quarter, an obvious move by Johnson to spread more playing time around

This is the main reason why I can't figure out people are freaking out so much. AJ clearly didn't coach this game to win. You may not agree with that approach, but the level of hysteria after last night's game was unfounded.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #24
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
This is the main reason why I can't figure out people are freaking out so much. AJ clearly didn't coach this game to win. You may not agree with that approach, but the level of hysteria after last night's game was unfounded.
I agree completely that this loss is nothing to freak out over. But seriously, of all f*cking games to take this bullshit approach to, he picked a nationally televised game against a likely WCF opponent on the same night the Spurs lost. It's even worse considering the bit he gave after the loss to GS about the "internal leadership." Absolutely indefensible screw-up on AJ's part.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #25
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

you know AJ probably killed the spirit by not playing Stack or Diop, and having the plan to play Devin only 10 minutes.
i mean I undertand his reasoning, but if your a player, and you know everyone is tired, it's the last game of a long (late) road trip, and then some guys get the night off, against a fresh running team, and then they came out hitting every 3, I could see some guys just mailing it in. i mean it's a little disheartening, but understandable.
Also I'm sure they all knew that there was no real chance at catching the Spurs, and the loss at GS was even more frustrating.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #26
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

I hope Stack could reflect on his respect for or relationship with his fellow Mavericks during his break.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto

Last edited by Arne; 04-14-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #27
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

In starting Griffin and DJ , Avery showed he thought the race was over, of course never expecting the Spurs losing to the Magic (great game). Even though that game was ending just as the Mavs game was starting, I think it was too late to change the mindset that there was still something to play for. I just hope we win the last two games, but this game does nothing to me compared to the loss to the Warriors.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:16 AM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Well, the last time I checked, Griffin was a starter when this team was at it's best earlier in the season.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #29
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Sure, but only recently AJ said he wasnt inclined to change things, and Griff still had to get back into game shape

Last edited by HexNBA; 04-14-2006 at 11:30 AM.
HexNBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #30
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Well, the last time I checked, Griffin was a starter when this team was at it's best earlier in the season.
Pretty lame comment if you actually mean it. You've seen griffin since he's been back, he's the same guy sitting on the couch after being cut last year. Slow, unsure, not sharp.

So DJ's the starter instead of Diop? Okay...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #31
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Pretty lame comment if you actually mean it. You've seen griffin since he's been back, he's the same guy sitting on the couch after being cut last year. Slow, unsure, not sharp.

I know some people were saying we could trade Damp and start either Diop or MBenga. So does anyone think DJ looked good as a starter? I sure as heck don't!
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.

Last edited by bcrav4; 04-14-2006 at 02:29 PM.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394

I was saying that starting Griffin in and of itself is not a sign of give up. You can 'not give up' and try and get a guy back into the flow at the same time. No, starting Griffin might not have been 100% the best move possible as far as winning the game. But, it does not mean that AJ had given up.

Now, if you want to carry it further to not playing Diop and Stack while starting Mbenga, that's a different story.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4
I know some people were saying we could trade Damp and start either Diop or MBenga. So does anyone think DJ looked good as a starter? I sure as heck don't!
Personally, I like the center rotation as it is. DJ looks like he could eventually consistently contribute to this club, but I don't think he's there yet. Well, Damp and Diop aren't exactly there yet, but they're obviously at least a little more consistent than DJ.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #34
ddh33
Platinum Member

I think this race was over as soon as the Mavs lost to the Warriors and the Rockets lost Yao. After that, with the tiebreakers being what they were/are, this thing was done.

Because of that, I think th team is content to coast a bit and get healthy. I'm fine with that.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #35
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help but think, and maybe this has been brought up but I'm too lazy to read every post..... maybe we feel Sacramento has a better chance at knocking of the Spurs than Grizz/Clips do? I mean, given that thought and the goings on in Golden State game/Houston Yao injury combined....

Maybe I'm just looking for excuses... I dunno..... but ... but...... but...... I've got nothin'.

No funeral.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #36
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4
Damp is just about as untradable as they come in the NBA. No owner in his right mind is going to commit 5 more years at over $10M per year for a 32 year old who's shown the type of production Dampier has shown since he's been here.

MBenga will probably never be a starting caliber center. He's too old to be as raw as he is. I like him off the bench, but that's about it. I think Diop may have a chance to get there. If he can improve his rebounding and develop a few low post moves, he would become a very nice player. Of course, rebouding usually isn't something that is developed. It's usually something you are born with.

So our best hope for the future may lay on the broad shoulders of Pavel Podskolzine.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:54 AM   #37
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

AJ was coaching for the win. What happened was AJ didn't know the Spurs would lose to the Magic at home. I'm sure he heard about the loss and was probably thinking "Oh Sh**". At that point he could no longer play Stack or Diop. Who's bright idea was it to not even suit the guy's up? Just in case of a Spurs loss this team should've been prepared. That's a goof up on AJ's part. Not sure if Stackhouse would've contributed worth a damn anyway. With the shots Josh and Terry threw up he probably would've threw up the same garbage.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #38
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
AJ was coaching for the win. What happened was AJ didn't know the Spurs would lose to the Magic at home. I'm sure he heard about the loss and was probably thinking "Oh Sh**". At that point he could no longer play Stack or Diop. Who's bright idea was it to not even suit the guy's up? Just in case of a Spurs loss this team should've been prepared. That's a goof up on AJ's part. Not sure if Stackhouse would've contributed worth a damn anyway. With the shots Josh and Terry threw up he probably would've threw up the same garbage.

Part of me keeps saying that this is all part of some wild as$ Avery playoff game plan. It's like he wants the Mavs to be the underdogs and pick up the #4, make SA struggle against SAC. And the PhX game was like he didn't want to showcase the Mavs team that they will eventually play in the WCFs, and he wanted to see what Mbenga can do against these guys. Still, if this is the case, it's either brilliant or idiotic, but I'd have to lean with the latter...

This certainly does seem to make a case for a difficult series for SA at Arco. All 3 games this year were very close. Curious, why wasn't there 4 games in this series? Why couldn't the schedule accomodate this, and wasn't it nice for SA to have 2 games of the 3 at home...

REGULAR SEASON SERIES
Spurs lead 2-1
Nov. 21: Spurs 96 at Kings 93
Dec. 17: at Spurs 90, Kings 89
Apr. 5: Kings 97 at Spurs 87

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 04-15-2006 at 10:36 AM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote