Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-03-2022, 12:21 PM   #1
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of
Default Do you agree with these guys from MMB about Cuban going cheap to build a roster

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/7...-season-so-far

Here's a short qoute from one of the guys but most of them seem to think along the same lines about Cuban as owner right now

Jordan:
Still, hard to characterize the off-season as a success so far. Owner Mark Cuban continues to be remarkably cheap, and for every good move the front office makes there is a head scratcher to follow. Which sort of makes me foolishly believe another move is on the horizon.

My Thoughts
Seems like some of these other teams are going all in to try and try win now and the Mavs are still being conservative hoping that something hit with Luka as the lone ranger.

I like the McGee pickup no doubt but man what if they could have kept JB and still added McGee to that WCF's team from this year.

That was our biggest issue no rebounding or interior defense

Last edited by Dallas41; 07-03-2022 at 12:21 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/7...-season-so-far

Here's a short qoute from one of the guys but most of them seem to think along the same lines about Cuban as owner right now

Jordan:
Still, hard to characterize the off-season as a success so far. Owner Mark Cuban continues to be remarkably cheap, and for every good move the front office makes there is a head scratcher to follow. Which sort of makes me foolishly believe another move is on the horizon.

My Thoughts
Seems like some of these other teams are going all in to try and try win now and the Mavs are still being conservative hoping that something hit with Luka as the lone ranger.

I like the McGee pickup no doubt but man what if they could have kept JB and still added McGee to that WCF's team from this year.

That was our biggest issue no rebounding or interior defense
I'm convinced they got Hardy knowing Brunson was gonna walk...which is fine. They still failed to get ANY assets for Brunson which is a fail, but they kinda mopped up before the mess. Hardy's ceiling is higher than Brunson's. That doesn't mean he'll reach it, but his talent is undeniable. He shouldn't have fallen to 26 let alone 37. I'm still trying to find the red flags GMs were looking at, but I guess summer league will show some?

I agree the Mavs need to keep improving to stay competitive, but man, Wood is a huge upgrade over Powell, so they certainly didn't stay stagnant there. And adding McGee is a big center upgrade.

Plus, we are getting 15 ppg from THJ back. We're just missing a backup PG now.

Question is whether they will actually f'in keep Wood after the season or he'll leave to some other team. THAT is what would keep me up at night. Mavs just don't understand how modern FA works. I'm convinced of it.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:32 PM   #3
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Josh and the other dude about McGee. It?s what I thought when I saw the deal reported. It only makes since, if they have something else planned. It made me somewhat hopeful, but I know Lucy is pulling that football again.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #4
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Was listening to 105.3 the fan and they mentioned that over the last 5 years the Mavs have spent the least amount of money in salaries.

They reported that a team like OKC spent more money on salaries than the Mavs.

They also mentioned that Cuban has the built in 50 win player every year in Luka and that's why he's content on saving each year.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:17 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Was listening to 105.3 the fan and they mentioned that over the last 5 years the Mavs have spent the least amount of money in salaries.

They reported that a team like OKC spent more money on salaries than the Mavs.

They also mentioned that Cuban has the built in 50 win player every year in Luka and that's why he's content on saving each year.
Well the Mavs now are in the top 5 in payroll, so from a purely objective standpoint, it's wrong to call him cheap. Whether that money is spent wisely, however, is a totally different argument.

Honestly my answer is I don't know, because we haven't seen how Cuban will respond to being heavily into tax territory yet. It remains to be seen. When it first came out that Brunson was leaving, I was prepared to excoriate Cuban for being cheap, but then we got more information indicating that Brunson was leaving no matter what and wouldn't even let the Mavs make him an offer. So it seems wrong to call him cheap there. Also, re-signing THJ and offering KP the full five year max were definitely not cheap moves. They might not have been the smartest moves, but they definitely weren't cheap moves either.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:19 PM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

It's not only lack of spending, but it's also falling too in love with your own players. Like it's truly bizarre how obsessed the team seems to be about what open roster spots they have. Like they can't make moves to open up more. I always feel like they restrain themselves for some reason.

The fact that Powell is still on the roster is a great example of that.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote