Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 07-07-2022, 05:25 PM   #1
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all
Default Ben Simmons??

Hmmm..article is scant on details currentlt, but I like it. Simmons likely a low cost pickup for his talent level, good ball handler, and good defense. POTENTIALLY an upgrade over JB.

https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/da...n-simmons-nets
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #2
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

I'm not buying we have the firepower or picks to get this done, even in a buy low situation.

Last edited by JustJay; 07-07-2022 at 05:56 PM.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Dude is a headcase that may never play again. Even if he does, it's a waste of a good pass from Luka. Luka passes to Simmons out at the arc. Simmons refuses to shoot. Simmons passes it back to Luka who has nowhere to go so the shot clock expires.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:57 PM   #4
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

While he did have surgery and is on schedule to be ready for training camp, according to a source, one league source said there was no chatter about the Nets actively shopping Ben Simmons, while two said there was little market for him.
Source: Brian Lewis @ New York Post
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 03:04 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
No.

Dude is a headcase that may never play again. Even if he does, it's a waste of a good pass from Luka. Luka passes to Simmons out at the arc. Simmons refuses to shoot. Simmons passes it back to Luka who has nowhere to go so the shot clock expires.
This. I wouldn't give up a first round pick for him, let alone god knows whatever it would take to actually get him.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
No.

I agree. Simmons could walk away from basketball at any time. Right now it seems like he is finding ways to get a paycheck without playing
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:23 AM   #7
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
while two said there was little market for him.
Source: Brian Lewis @ New York Post
This would be the key. I only see the Mavs interested if it a low price. If there isn't much of a market, then the price should be low -- although that could also just lead to them keeping him, which depending on how that goes, will either drive his market value up...or further down.

I'm not as concerned about the 'head case' aspect. Don't disagree he was, but think he wants to play someplace he feels wants him.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:19 AM   #8
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

The guy can?t shoot, and is a really poor fit next to Luka. I want absolutely no part of Ben Simmons and think he?s one of the most overrated players to come out in a while. Could see the signs in college. The game is a shooters game now and won?t change back anytime soon. He would be fantastic 10-20 years ago, probably a net player these days, and huge net negative when factoring in how much he is making on this contract.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:18 AM   #9
buddha08

buddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Yes

I have been hoping for Simmons to Mavs for some time. I would have loved to see Porzingis traded for him. Simmons has player qualities similar to Kidd, and I could see Kidd helping him really grow. They both play great defense, create assists and can?t shoot for shit. Kidd eventually did work on the 3 ball later in his career and it paid dividends. Moreover, don?t tell me Simmons can?t grow as a player/teammate. Look at what Wiggins has done in the right situation. I haven?t given up on Simmons and think Dallas would be an absolute perfect fit!
buddha08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:17 AM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha08 View Post
I have been hoping for Simmons to Mavs for some time. I would have loved to see Porzingis traded for him. Simmons has player qualities similar to Kidd, and I could see Kidd helping him really grow. They both play great defense, create assists and can?t shoot for shit. Kidd eventually did work on the 3 ball later in his career and it paid dividends. Moreover, don?t tell me Simmons can?t grow as a player/teammate. Look at what Wiggins has done in the right situation. I haven?t given up on Simmons and think Dallas would be an absolute perfect fit!
Could you explain why Simmons would be an "absolute perfect fit?" Because the way I see it, Luka is almost the worst player in the league to put Simmons next to, because it requires Simmons to play off the ball. Playing next to Luka would take away from Simmons' greatest strength- ball-handling/facilitating, and put a blinding spotlight on his horrific flaw- the fact that he can't shoot.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #11
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Could you explain why Simmons would be an "absolute perfect fit?" Because the way I see it, Luka is almost the worst player in the league to put Simmons next to, because it requires Simmons to play off the ball. Playing next to Luka would take away from Simmons' greatest strength- ball-handling/facilitating, and put a blinding spotlight on his horrific flaw- the fact that he can't shoot.
I agree with you. If Simmons doesn?t have the ball in his hands he?s useless on offense. Defensively sure he?d be a great fit next to Luka. I still think Simmons can be a good player in this league, but hopefully it?s not here with that contract.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Simmons isn't far off from Irving in the do you want to play basketball anymore dept. I feel like these guys just expect to get paid 30-40 mil a year and not do anything.

Hell no. These guys have 0 drive or motivation to win. No talent in the world can overcome that.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:36 PM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I agree with you. If Simmons doesn?t have the ball in his hands he?s useless on offense. Defensively sure he?d be a great fit next to Luka. I still think Simmons can be a good player in this league, but hopefully it?s not here with that contract.
Exactly. He's in the Rudy Gobert category for me. I just don't think you can be a star in this league anymore if you can't shoot. If you're elite at everything else- which Simmons is- you can be a good role player. But a max contract level star? Not in today's NBA.