Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-22-2004, 01:54 AM   #121
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Mavs - Knicks

Quote:
Dan Dickau sat out after spraining his left ankle in Thursday's shootaround
Crap. Things are rough, aren't they?

Quote:
"That's my game – run, run, run," the 7-foot Congan said. "My favorite players are Hakeem Olajuwon for offense and Dikembe Mutombo for defense. I try to play like both of them."
How can you not like this guy? I mean, seriously.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2004, 01:58 AM   #122
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs - Knicks

well, I like his idols anyway.....I still can't wait to see DJ(along with JT, Damp, Harris) play...sounds like a true diamond in the rough.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 02:25 AM   #123
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

post game quotes
Postgame pressconference (warning, bad sound)

Mavericks Guard Avery Johnson
It was a great win for us tonight. It all started with our defense. Our transition defense was really good tonight. Nellie talked about getting back into transition defense before the game. Our centers were really good tonight. Dampier and Mbenga were really good tonight. Jason Terry had a hot start for us. Josh (Howard had a big third quarter. I’m really proud of our defense.

On the diffference between this year and 2002-2003
I think that year, that defense was middle of the pack. Last year they fell off. We have to get back to the middle of the pack, at least. Then we can build from there. The preseason numbers aren’t good. We had a terrific practice yesterday and a great shootaround today. The main thing coach talked about today was carry over. We’ve had too many good practices, but when we get into the game we let people go where they want to go. I think Coach Nelson did a great job of challenging the guys in that area.

On being surprised by DJ:
We are somewhat surprised in certain situations. We knew he had a high talent level. He has some raw skills that you can’t teach. He’s strong, athletic and can run like a gazelle. He’s moving up the charts. We’ve talked about him possibly being our 4th center and that didn’t sit well with him and I like that attitude.

Mavericks Center Calvin Booth
What improvements did you see in the win tonight?

Defensively, we had some real good stretches and it's showing that our hard work is paying off.

What areas on offense seemed to click tonight?
You're not seeing as many turnovers as you did three games ago when we started the preseason and that's definitely a good thing.

Are you guys still trying to get the feel for each other?
Jason (Terry) is really starting to settle in and get his groove going shooting the ball. He's not making as many mistakes and really playing the way he is capable of. He's going to make this engine go along with Mike (Finley) and Dirk (Nowitzki).

Does this feel like Nellie basketball?
It's getting more similar, but we're throwing the ball away a little too much early on to look like Nellie basketball. His style is really getting up and down and taking care of it and trying to have fun. This style is great for me, a perfect fit for me.

Knicks Head Coach Lenny Wilkens
On the defensive breakdowns of his team:

The breakdowns come because we don’t talk on the defense. We talk in practice, then you have to take it from the practice court to the game. I don’t see us doing that yet. We need to talk, we need to block out, and we need to be really unselfish just like we are in practice. Don’t feel like whenever the ball comes to you, you have to be the guy to make it happen. If you are missing shots, you have to slow the game down because you are not getting back on defense.

On if the team is not sharing the ball since only Stephon Marbury had any assists:
Some of it. Some of it is holding the ball too long ad the clock goes down. Some of it is because we don’t set people up to make good cuts.

Knicks Forward Tim Thomas
On if getting blown out in the preseason is cause for concern:

It’s preseason and we have to correct that. This is basically what these games are for. You have to see where mistakes are made and try to go in and correct them. We know we can score the basketball. It is just a matter of going out and playing defense.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:39 AM   #124
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
On being surprised by DJ:
We are somewhat surprised in certain situations. We knew he had a high talent level. He has some raw skills that you can’t teach. He’s strong, athletic and can run like a gazelle. He’s moving up the charts. We’ve talked about him possibly being our 4th center and that didn’t sit well with him and I like that attitude.
I'm loving that bit.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:20 PM   #125
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

hopefully marquis's ankle isn't troy hudson style...
Old 10-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #126
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say only one thing about last night's game.......

GO MAVERICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #127
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
hopefully marquis's ankle isn't troy hudson style...
No kidding. I am stressed about Marquis. We haven't heard enough positive comments regarding Marquis' progress.

Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:50 PM   #128
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Mbenga is very,very quickly turning into a fan favorite. He just flies up and down the court and works his tail off trying to get to everything. Really a joy to watch...

Jason Terry was much better last night but he was probably best when having someone else handle it. He doesn't finish at the hoop nearly as well as nash does. He could really use a floater.

Watching booth play power forward instead of dirk is quite interesting. I really can't wait to see dirk/dampier working the high-low... Dirk may average 30 if he gets the shots that booth was getting.

Harris is the real deal and will play a lot this year, very good court presence and poise. I'd actually like to see him a little MORE selfish on the break as he dished it off a couple of times when I think he could have taken it on in.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 05:14 PM   #129
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

did you get to see them play?
Old 10-22-2004, 05:14 PM   #130
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jason Terry was much better last night but he was probably best when having someone else handle it. He doesn't finish at the hoop nearly as well as nash does. He could really use a floater.
come now, dude, he has shown drastic improvement the last two games....having six dimes in each(no Dirk)...lets wait and see if he starts finishing better around the hoop.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-22-2004, 05:26 PM   #131
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

No disagreement there. But he looked more like a shooting guard. Just comparing Devon and Jason together, jason looked more bobby jacksonish to me while Devon seemed to have more pure PG instincts. They actually play pretty well together.

I like his defense and he's quick (not as quick as harris however). Knicks stunk it up last night, it was hard to gauge anything against them.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-22-2004, 05:27 PM   #132
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
did you get to see them play?
Yes...I've been at the arena the first two games. I will have to miss the next three (HOME OPENER!!! dammit) however..

Old 10-22-2004, 05:31 PM   #133
sike
The Preacha

I've heard twice on the radio that TJ is faster from end to end, but that Harris is quicker from side to side...did you see enough to confirm or deny this, dude?

Old 10-22-2004, 05:42 PM   #134
dude1394
Guru

I would be hard pressed to say that TJ is faster in any aspect than harris. Harris looks quicker all around. I also think he has better handles. TJ is good, but harris seems to be more natural and fluid.

He's gonna be a keeper for sure, TJ better play well, the only think keeping devon our of the lineup will be mistakes and 3pt shooting. TJ looks like he has a better shot when open. That's sort of why they look pretty good together.

I'm not saying TJ ISN'T quick and fast. Just that devon really is exceptionally quick it seems.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:45 PM   #135
sike
The Preacha

thanks for the insight dude. You suck less now.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:46 PM   #136
dude1394
Guru

Dang.... You are abrasive sike. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2004, 05:51 PM   #137
sike
The Preacha

I'm as hardcore as they come bro! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2004, 05:58 PM   #138
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Is TJ Jason Terry or are we talking about Jason Terry? I think Devin, at least in college, was faster than I have seen Jason be in college or Atlanta.

I can't wait till Sunday to see them on TV.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:16 PM   #139
dude1394
Guru

Yea it's JT(or JET as they are now calling him at the arena) ....Sike is dyslexic as well as abrasive. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2004, 06:22 PM   #140
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Yea it's JT(or JET as they are now calling him at the arena) ....Sike is dyslexic as well as abrasive. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I just like to keep 'em wondering....

I do really like this team 1-5. They are two deep at least every position...But I love the point guard spot..there is great potential there.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:31 PM   #141
dude1394
Guru

I don't know as I haven't seen it yet. Not having daniel's and dirk in the lineup makes it a much scrappier, but mediocre bunch. Mike is shooting it well but he's starting to look more like a spot-up shooter only. JET is an energizer bunny out there, he had the microphone last night talking about bringing the "D" back to big D. Then they did go out and do it against the knicks, but they looked very poor.

The center position is unbelievably better. Shawn really DOES look like the 4th center on the team. Booth is looking like a below average power forward and henderson looks adequate. So our second power forward position will be adequate. But our second PG off the bench and stackhouse, howard are going to be a handful.

Old 10-22-2004, 07:39 PM   #142
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Mike is shooting it well but he's starting to look more like a spot-up shooter only.
not hating on the guy(and not that this is a new opinion), but I would contend that he has basically been a jump shooter for the past two seasons, so this does not come as a big letdown. There is nothing wrong with having a premier shooter like a Miller or Kerr...you just don't want to pay Max money for that guy..go ask the Knicks.

Old 10-23-2004, 03:19 AM   #143
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Great point Sike. As time goes on Finley will start becoming our version of Reggie Miller as the newer stars like Daniels and Howard take over the starting swing spots.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:30 AM   #144
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

he went from .339 to .370 to .405 last year. If he can notch another year of improvement, he will be very significant three point shooter. As it is 40.5 is very fine.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:32 PM   #145
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I agree. Fin's contract is what it is... big & ugly!! But if he can keep improving his shot and keep providing veteran leadership, I'd be quite happy. He's still so much better than so many other knuckleheads with max contracts around the league.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:01 PM   #146
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
he went from .339 to .370 to .405 last year. If he can notch another year of improvement, he will be very significant three point shooter. As it is 40.5 is very fine.
yeah, 40% on 3's = 12 points for every 10 shots. You'd have to shoot 60% on your two point shots to equal that so 40% is great.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:01 PM   #147
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

double post
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote