Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-15-2003, 05:49 PM   #1
Stew3636

Stew3636 is on a distinguished road
Default Kurt Thomas (has been benched, trade?)

Dallas trades: PG Tony Delk (8.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.8 apg in 20.3 minutes)
C Shawn Bradley (3.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.1 apg in 11.1 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Kurt Thomas (11.7 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.3 apg in 35.5 minutes)
PG Frank Williams (3.7 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 1.5 apg in 12.2 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +3.7 ppg, +6.1 rpg, and +2.9 apg.

New York trades: C Kurt Thomas (11.7 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.3 apg in 35.5 minutes)
PG Frank Williams (3.7 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 1.5 apg in 12.2 minutes)
New York receives: PG Tony Delk (8.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.8 apg in 14 games)
C Shawn Bradley (3.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.1 apg in 17 games)
Change in team outlook: -3.7 ppg, -6.1 rpg, and -2.9 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Knick's need a PG better than eisley, do they think Delk could do that. Also, Bradley always rumored to go to Knicks.
Stew3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2003, 05:53 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Kurt Thomas (has been benched, trade?)

No, no, Hell NO!!!

I do not want NY Garbage dumped in my backyard. I'll take Bradley anyday over a Leastern Conference spare like Thomas. Thomas is small for a Western confernece PF, no way we trade our only center for him and a midget PG.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:56 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

What the snowman said.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:09 PM   #4
Stew3636

Stew3636 is on a distinguished road

You think that Bradley can give us more production than Thomas?
Stew3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:36 PM   #5
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Cuban did say that NY was one of the teams interested in Bradley last summer. Hmmm.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:40 PM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Stew3636
If Nelson would play him.... yes!

But alas, our coach loves him some small ball. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2003, 11:28 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Kurt Thomas (has been benched, trade?)

A Jamison/Best for Thomas/Ward works.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:31 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If Nellie will play him, Bradley is one of the most disruptive defensive forces in the NBA. Thomas doesn't have a chance of having anywhere near the same affect. Right now Nellie's not playing Shawn, and there is no guarrantee that Kurt wouldn't have the same problem. If we want a too short PF playing center, we already have Danny Fortson.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:33 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
A Jamison/Best for Thomas/Ward works.
Much better, but it's still NY garbage. I just don't want anything off that team except maybe for McDyess, who they won't trade.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:41 PM   #10
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

How is that much better? Honestly Thomas doesnt help us much at all. But if it came down to it id rather ship out Bradley for him than Jamison
Old 12-15-2003, 11:49 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Thomas can play center and would certainly help this team considering he'd have Dirk and Walker on each side of him. A combination of Thomas/Fortson/Bradley is pretty solid and can give you different things.

Sure, we'd all like something better, but we're not going to get it for nothing. Unfortunately, we'll be giving up more than we get, but with all the players we have it's going to be that way no matter what we give up.

Ward's contract is up after this year and I believe Thomas has a year or two left.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:11 AM   #12
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

Only way I even consider this is if we are able to somehow ship off TAW as well.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:33 AM   #13
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Thomas will come here and get injured. I don't like that guy. He turned his back on the Mavs. Why would Nellie want him when Thomas lied to Nellie and the Mavs once before?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:38 AM   #14
COOLJAZZ

COOLJAZZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If nothing changes,
Thomas wants out
By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, December 16th, 2003

Kurt Thomas is a productive player as well as a valuable insurance policy for both Antonio McDyess and Dikembe Mutombo. But none of that may matter since Thomas is also flunking the Knicks' infamous media training courses, which, as Marcus Camby and Latrell Sprewell can attest, will eventually lead to expulsion from Madison Square Garden.

"I know that," Thomas said. "I just want to go where I can play and where I can be appreciated."

Thomas is not asking to be traded, not yet anyway. But Thomas and his agent, Jerry Hicks, are hoping to meet with Knicks management to discuss Thomas' future with the team.

"Every indication we've received seems to suggest (Kurt) may not be in the team's long-term plans," Hicks said. "But we want to talk to them. Obviously, if he's not in their long-term plans I think it would be appropriate to at least consider (asking for a trade)."

The Knicks have been exploring trade possibilities with Thomas since last summer. There were rumors about a deal for Golden State's Nick Van Exel, who will be at the Garden tonight.

Another possibility is Dallas, Thomas' hometown and a place where he spent one season playing and working under Don Nelson.

Thomas has been unhappy with Knicks management since early October when the club denied his request for a contract extension. Then on Sunday, Thomas was upset with Don Chaney's decision to replace him in the starting lineup with McDyess. Thomas had started 186 straight games over three seasons.

Thomas has already said he will opt out of his contract this summer and test the free-agent waters. "I kind of felt that when they didn't offer me a contract extension that my time here probably was going to be up soon," Thomas said Sunday. "That's part of the job."

The Knicks are in a tough spot because McDyess and Mutombo are both health risks, while Thomas can play either power forward or center. But the Knicks also don't want Thomas to turn into a malcontent and a potential distraction. His public comments about Chaney's decision will make management sour on him quickly.

"If everybody comes on the floor with their own agenda we're going to have problems," said Chaney, whose team has won two straight entering tonight's game against the Warriors.

Chaney had his entire complement of players available on Sunday for the first time and you can already see how problems with playing time may surface. Thomas has voiced his displeasure, while Keith Van Horn's silence was deafening. For the second straight game, Van Horn was benched in the fourth quarter and bolted the Garden without speaking to reporters.
I say leave him alone till the off season. He ain't worth a trade. Make him sign for the exception.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:20 PM   #15
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
If Nelson would play him.... yes!

But alas, our coach loves him some small ball. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
I think this is an overstated point about Nellie!
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:10 PM   #16
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I would never want to see Kurt Thomas in a Mavs uniform again, but while we are speculating on the subject of a Thomas trade, how about this one:

New York trades:

PG Charlie Ward (9.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 5.7 apg in 27.1 minutes)
C Kurt Thomas (11.7 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.3 apg in 35.5 minutes)
PF Mike Sweetney (1.3 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.1 apg in 4.7 minutes)

New York receives:
SG Brent Barry (12.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 5.1 apg in 33.9 minutes)
C Jerome James (4.7 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.2 minutes)
PG Antonio Daniels (5.4 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 13.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -0.3 ppg, -7.8 rpg, and -1.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement
-------------------------------------

For NY, I think this move frees up the log jam at PF, gets some value for Ward's expiring contract, and is nets them one heckuva combo guard in Barry (insurance against any continuation of Houston's injury problems), a solid defensive PG with upside in AD, and gets rid of locker-room cancer Thomas.

Seattle gets some much needed veteran big man play from Thomas, a back to the basket low-post scorer with untapped potential in Sweetney, and the move free's up space for Ronald Murray to play alongside Ray Allen full-time in the backcourt. Ward might also serve as a valuable fill-in for Ridnour as Luke becomes better accustomed to playing in the league, and of course, they get rid of that nasty James contract.

This kind of Kurt Thomas deal seems far more likely to me to occur, than any outlandish Dallas/NY deal featuring Shawn Bradley, TAW, or Travis Best...