Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-15-2001, 10:36 AM   #1
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

We should find out our likely playoff opponent today.

Sunday, April 15
Utah at Minnesota: if Jazz wins they will have 53 wins. They should win the Clipper game (it's in Utah) for 54 wins and a lock on the 4th spot. The final game against the Suns is meaningless for the Jazz.

Portland at LA Lakers: if the Lakers win they will have 55 wins. They should win their final game (Denver at LA) for 56 wins. They need the Kings to lose a game to lock the 2nd seed. Portland should also wind up with a loss the the Spurs and 50 wins.

Sacramento at Phoenix (1): if the Kings win they will have 55 wins. They should win their final two games (Vancouver at Sacramento and Sacramento at Denver) for 57 wins. This would lock the 2nd seed. However, if the Kings lose to the Suns they will wind up with 56 wins and since they lose on the tiebreaker to the Lakers and the Kings will wind up with the 3rd seed.
Sacramento at Phoenix (2): if the Suns win they will have 50 wins. They should win their next games with the Clippers and the Jazz (the Jazz will probably be resting starters). That will give Phoenix 52 wins.

If Dallas wins out, they will have 53 wins and the 5th seed. A matchup with the Jazz looks like fun. If the Mavs lose a game and the Suns win out both teams will have 52 wins, and the Suns will have the 5th seed (because they took the season series from us). That would drop us to the 6th seed and a matchup against the Kings. A matchup against the Kings will also be fun.

A matchup against the Lakers is unlikely. It is only likely to happen if the Lakers were the 3rd seed and we were the 6th. Scenario 1) we get passed by the Suns as described above and the Lakers lose one of their last two games. Scenario 2) the Mavs lose 2 of 3 and the Suns pass us with 51 wins and the Kings win out.

There are multiple scenarios that could drop the Mavs to 7th, but the most of them involve the Mavs losing the rest of their games.
Mavs#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2001, 01:45 PM   #2
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

How long did it take you to come up with all that?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2001, 02:26 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Good breakdown - thx Mavs#1Fan!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 03:24 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Yeah, nice breakdown [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] . I think we can beat Utah in the first round.

btw, Like the new sig Mavs#1Fan [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 06:52 PM   #5
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

Hi Flying Tiger,

I've been looking at today as the key day for a couple of weeks. I'm sure the network execs hoped it would work out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The actual time it took to do the breakdown. An hour or so. I only posted it because the one on dallasbasketball.com was a little flawed. The Kings are the most likely team to take the #2 seed.

Despite the Jazz loss (which shocked the crap out of me), it is unlikely for us to climb to the 4th spot.
Old 04-16-2001, 09:36 AM   #6
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

Wow..thanks for the tag Mavsfan#1
i wouldn't go quite that far, but i do appreciate the attention directed towards me
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 10:35 AM   #7
LAM0015
Banned

as far as i can tell, with the mavs only having a 1 game lead on the #5 playoff spot, not much has been determined for the mavs.
yes, we know they won't drop if they win out..and that they could move up if they win out, but not much else
besides that, pretty good analysis of the playoff posibilities
Old 04-16-2001, 10:54 AM   #8
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I'm really pulling for a Mavs/Kings first round. Utah would be my second choice. But, with our current track record of not getting calls and calls going to our opponent, I would not look forward to a seriers against the ultimate veterans and official favorites Stockton and Malone.

Did anyone see the play that got Garnett ejected yesterday? That was a total crap call just because Stockton likes to "bounce" off of people. He's been doing it for 10 years and has it perfected. The same with Malone and the same with their coach working the refs with his record number of T's.

If we get them in the first round, we will have beat then AND the refs which is very difficult to do. On the other hand, I would LOVE to see Webber and Howard matchup with playoff intensity. These guys must love to play each other and so far, Howard has his number.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 11:27 AM   #9
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Well I don't think that would be a good first round matchup for us. I would like to see Sacramento AFTER they've went through a series with someone else. Hopefully they'll come out beat up, and hopefully we'll come out of the first series too. To be honest, I don't care who we play, I'm so happy to be playing in the playoffs that I feel invincible. Hopefully we show up. I think if we play the way we're capable of, I TRULY don't think there is a team that we can't beat in a five game series. (With the exception of San Antonio)
Old 04-16-2001, 12:27 PM   #10
LAM0015
Banned

san antonio is the better team...but we've proven we can beat them the past couple of years. i don't know how anyone would rather want the mavs to play the lakers rather than anyone else. the mavs haven't shown the ability to beat the lakers this year. shaq has been dominating... please, no lakers in the first round. utah would be the ideal matchup
Old 04-16-2001, 02:07 PM   #11
Mavs#1Fan

LAM, a lot was determined on Sunday. The top 4 seeds and the last 2 seeds in the Western conference were established barring major upsets.

It is impossible for us to fall to the 7th seed. We have the Conference record tiebreaker vs the Blazers even if we lose the last 2 games and they beat the Spurs. The only way we will play the Lakers is if they lose their last game (Denver) and the Kings win out. That would drop the Lakers to the 3rd seed. But even that wouldn't matter if the Mavs win out because we would be the 5th seed.

It is almost impossible for us to get the 4th seed. The Jazz would have to lose both their last games AND we would have to win ours.

So we are going to be the 5th or 6th seed.

LAM, if you need help understanding please let me know. I have experience in tutoring "special" children.
Old 04-16-2001, 02:26 PM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Repectfull question: Is Mavs#1Fan stats guru Patricia?
Old 04-16-2001, 02:31 PM   #13
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Those stat breakdowns sure make it look that way...
Old 04-16-2001, 03:35 PM   #14
Mavs#1Fan

Sorry I'm not Patricia, just a comic store owner in Bedford.

BTW, who is Patricia?
Old 04-16-2001, 03:43 PM   #15
LAM0015
Banned

Idiot, what is your thread about?
"Likely playoff opponent determined today"
ok...my statement was that it wasn't "likely" that our playoff opponent would be established when you posted the thread.
our opponent is still up in the air, unless you think the mavs will cakewalk over the next two opponents (three opponents at the time that you made this thread), your statmenent is incorrect. therefore, we may still drop to the 6th seed and not play utah. is it likely the mavs will lose one of the remaining games? very possible.
thank you
have a nice day
Old 04-16-2001, 04:07 PM   #16
Mavs#1Fan

LAM, I'm sorry that I did not make the thread clear to you. Our LIKELY playoff opponent HAS been determined by Sunday's games. It is Utah. Utah had a small chance to move to the 3rd seed but lost. Of the 3 games left, I considered the Sonics to have the best chance to beat us. Since the Mavs won, we will probably take the 5th seed.

The rest of the message explained how the matchup WAS NOT going to be the Lakers - the team that only YOU mentioned as a first round matchup. I also mentioned the possibilities of what could happen if the Mavs lost. I also tried to predict the seeding in the West (unsuccessfully I might add - I thought the Kings would have the 2nd slot).

BTW, I'm still waiting on the stat breakdown showing Finley to be in the lower percentile of shooting guards. I am not the only one who is waiting on the statistical paper you did on the NBA.

Please don't act superior to the rest of us, it actually makes YOU look like a fool.
Old 04-16-2001, 04:16 PM   #17
LAM0015
Banned

when you posted the thread, the mavs had a very good shot of losing one of the last three games and dropping a spot. how can you say that the last game of the year isn't a game that the mavs could easily lose?
how could you say that phoenix couldn't win out and the mavs lose one game and drop to the sixth slot?
hell, i guess i could just post something with 80 games left on the schedule next year saying that mavs are 2-0 and that the 1-1 timberwolves are their likely opponent for the post season.
i'm not saying that you aren't right...i'm saying that their was a very good possiblity that you could have been wrong. you may end up being right.. and i actually think and thought that the mavs first round opponent would be the Jazz...but at the time of your post, you jumped the gun by saying that they were the likely opponent. their were too many variables to consider.
Old 04-16-2001, 04:20 PM   #18
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

"BTW, who is Patricia?"

Patricia Bender. Your one stop shop for all Mavs info. Visit her site here .

Old 04-16-2001, 04:23 PM   #19
LAM0015
Banned

and the paper...i have other issues to deal with right now, but after next Tuesday, i can make the trip to retrieve it.

when you make a statement like you did about the likeliness of a playoff opponent, you simply failed to properly appropriate the likeliness of certain circumstances impeding the probability of your statement from becoming to reality. All I'm asking is that you put a little more thought into your statement.
if you would have said "At the end of today, we will be able to have a better idea of the remaining possibilities for the Mavs in their first round matchup"...that would have been ok. but their were too many variables left when you made your statement. I apologize for being rude, i'm just trying to help you make your statement a little more correct
Old 04-16-2001, 10:09 PM   #20
Mavs#1Fan

LAM, the day I need your help I'll ask. Until then bugger off.
Old 04-16-2001, 10:43 PM   #21
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Lam,
I'm diggin the new icon, man. Thats a trip. Bring on Utah, because we own them at the Delta Center, yo!
Old 04-16-2001, 11:46 PM   #22
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Mavs#1Fan, I meant no offense. Patricia is the single best source for Mavs' stats in existence. I was impressed by your earlier posted stats...
Old 04-16-2001, 11:58 PM   #23
Mavs#1Fan

Evilmav,

No offense taken. I just didn't know who Patricia was. I looked at her site, and you're right - that was a compliment. Her site is amazing.

I've really enjoyed talking to you all the way from the NBATalk day. But I'm getting to the point where everything that LAM0015 says just pisses me off. I'd rather talk to Sportsologist than LAM (and I REALLY hate Sportsologist).
Old 04-17-2001, 12:10 AM   #24
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

NBA Playoffs 2001

Dallas v. Utah

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2001, 09:31 AM   #25
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Now that we know who the Mavs are going to play, what do they do about Malone? I was beginning to feel comfortable with the prospect of the Mavs playing in the playoffs. During the two games that the Mavs won, Malone was held in check. It almost seemed to easy to get him out of his game. He did get some of his normal fouls, but it wasn't a factor in the game. The last game, Utah just manhandled the Mavs in the form of Malone. It seemed like Sloan just said, "let's get back to the basics" and Malone was unstoppable. It wasn't the case of bad refereeing or Malone getting away with murder this time. He just positioned himself in the low post and he either made a shot or was fouled. Both Bradley and Booth were completely ineffective.
Back to the original question...what do we do against Malone? Was it just a bad game we played or is this the pattern we are going to see in the playoffs? If Malone has any success like he had against us, it may be a quick exit.

Two other discouraging items: It seems that Donyell adjusted to our playing style and will be a factor and Stockton had Nash tripping over his own jock. There was a definite difference in Nash's performance (pretty sure it is injury related) last game versus the previous two wins....

Series prediction: Utah wins 3-1.....

Old 04-17-2001, 09:51 AM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I think L8 did an excellent job of holding Malone in check when he was with the team. He seemed to be able to really get under karl's skin and frustrate him. We need someone who is not afraid to be physical with him. that being said, i think we'll see more of bryant (just to have a big body in against him) or Najera (yes, i said najera), who, even though he's a rookie, seems as if he wouldn't take crap from malone. I think najera could really annoy malone as well, much like he often annoys the hell out of me when he plays.

Our frontcourt is much better than theirs IMO. put fin at the three, juwan at the 4, and have dirk at the 5. dirk can handle the utah centers (polynice and ostertag) on D. marshall may give us problems, but i think he'll cave under the playoff pressure.

then again, most of our guys have never been there, so we may be the ones caving (i seriously hope not).
Old 04-17-2001, 10:29 AM   #27
LAM0015
Banned

let's not put any hope into howard covering anyone. he may be the biggest defensive liability this team has had in a long time.
he makes dirk look like scottie pippen on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 04-17-2001, 12:21 PM   #28
LAM0015
Banned

Maringa..you act as if you don't think that the mavs are capable of making defensive changes.
yes, Utah can make changes and/or get back to the basics..this might have helped them last game. but, at the same time, why can't the mavs come up with a different defensive scheme to try and guard malone?
Old 04-17-2001, 12:23 PM   #29
LAM0015
Banned

Personally, i think that Maringa should be kicked off of the board for his negative attitude. I'm not sure that we should put up with it any longer.
Old 04-17-2001, 12:24 PM   #30
LAM0015
Banned

thanks thatechi, i'm glad you like me new logo, ...actually, i made the change just for you.
Old 04-17-2001, 12:55 PM   #31
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

"Personally, i think that Maringa should be kicked off of the board for his negative attitude. I'm not sure that we should put up with it any longer."

If I need your opinion, I'll politely ask for it, and then instruct you on how you can correct it..then I'll give you the opportunity to re-present your opinion in a better, more correct way.

Old 04-17-2001, 01:00 PM   #32
djb
Administrator

lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2001, 01:07 PM   #33
LAM0015
Banned

haha..
good point

come on now rob, you should know that I don't want anyone kicked off of the board. it's just my way of hazing the newer members.
Old 04-17-2001, 01:14 PM   #34
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Maringa's been around longer then you I think. He/She just doesn't post much.

Old 04-18-2001, 04:01 PM   #35
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Mavs#1, I was a big fan of sportsologist too... I think that a bunch of those clowns are polluting ESPN.com these days. It sure looks busier whenever I check it out...

Old 04-18-2001, 04:08 PM   #36
djb
Administrator

The guys over at the ESPN boards post as many (oft times useless) one-liners as possible to add to the forum's post total. They're competing with the other teams' post totals for some reason [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2001, 04:25 PM   #37
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

I never much took to those ESPN.com boards... Sportstalk always had more fluid conversation, and it was a better place to rip morons (I almost miss the ability to let out some verbal aggression on fans of other teams)...
Old 04-18-2001, 04:28 PM   #38
TheKid
Diamond Member

Sometimes the battles on those boards are useless. On one of those boards once I saw a post that had more than 150 responses and it was about who was better Geiger or Ostertag. Now if that isn't just a big waste of time. That's like arguing which is healthier for you a Big Mac or a Whopper, it's useless.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:29 PM   #39
djb
Administrator

Everyone knows that Geiger's better but Ostertag has the most potential. Sheesh!
Old 04-18-2001, 04:36 PM   #40
TheKid
Diamond Member

You might be right but there is no way in the world I would debate that. If you ask me, they're both a waste at this point in their career. That's just my opinion though.