Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all
Default No McGrady In Dallas This Year

ESPN's Jim Gray reports that the Rockets and Magic have finalized a deal to send Tracy McGrady to Houston -- provided none of the other principal names in the multi-player trade are selected in Tuesday's expansion draft.

The trade also includes Juwan Howard to Houston, while Orlando will get Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato in return. Of those five players, McGrady and Francis are protected and cannot be drafted by the Bobcats. If Charlotte passes on Howard, Mobley and Cato, then the deal is done, Gray reports.

To make the trade work financially under the salary-cap rules, it's believed the Magic also will send Tyronn Lue and Andrew DeClercq to Houston.

Jeff Fried, Francis' agent, told the Houston Chronicle on Monday that Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson told him the trade was not complete but was close.

"I spoke to Carroll and it was not a done deal," Fried told the paper. "It's close. It's subject to a few contingencies."

In the expansion draft (Tuesday, 7 ET), the Bobcats will select 14 players from existing NBA rosters. Few of those players are expected to wind up on Charlotte's opening-night roster. Charlotte could make several side deals with teams to avoid drafting specific players.

McGrady can opt out of his seven-year, $93 million contract after next season, and has said he will exercise that option unless Orlando improves dramatically from the 21-61 record this past season. But the Magic have vowed to trade him, rather than letting the four-time All Star leave without any compensation -- like Shaquille O'Neal did eight years ago when he signed with the Lakers as a free agent.

Since McGrady's declaration, trade rumors involving the NBA's leading scorer have been flying, although the Magic have denied that any trades are on the horizon.

In fact, Orlando general manager John Weisbrod said Saturday that the club is still in contract discussions with McGrady.

"I certainly will not confirm that T-Mac is going to be traded," Weisbrod said. "I'm going to continue to say on T-Mac what I have said for the last month, which is that Arn [Tellem, McGrady's agent] and I are in discussions."

McGrady told the Orlando Sentinel on Saturday that he could not discuss the situation "until it's official ... after the draft."

Added McGrady: "I can't let my tricks out of the bag. I don't have any comment."

Francis, who has a $75 million contract, has told the Rockets that he does not want to be traded to Orlando. The Magic had the NBA's worst record last season while the Rockets made the playoffs. But Gray reports that Francis has no veto power and that the deal does not hinge on his approval.

"I thought we were really building something, something very good in Houston," Francis said. "Obviously that's not the direction they want to go. I still think we could be a very good team.

"I'm not crying. Like I told you before, I know this is a business. Things like that happen. I'm not mad. I'm not upset. This is what they're trying to do. But like I said, I still think we could be something."

Francis wouldn't comment about the possibility of going to the Magic.

Fried told the newspaper that Francis wasn't happy about the prospects of playing for the Magic in a rebuilding situation.

"Steve's preference is to not go to Orlando," Fried said. "Steve's tasted the playoffs. (The Rockets) got a series under their belts. He was looking forward to going further with the same Rockets team but with another year of experience together. This is certainly not his preference. He loves Houston."

Francis has averaged 19.3 points, 6.4 assists and 6.1 rebounds in five seasons with the Rockets.

McGrady led the NBA in scoring the past two seasons, averaging 28 points per game last season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

link to story
Old 06-21-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all
Default RE:No McGrady In Dallas This Year

Quote:
Added McGrady: "I can't let my tricks out of the bag. I don't have any comment."
I wonder what McGrady is referring to here. Could he have any leverage to meet Shaq in Dallas? Any guesses to what he means?

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs Rule
Quote:
I wonder what McGrady is referring to here. Could he have any leverage to meet Shaq in Dallas? Any guesses to what he means?
I there a chance for a Yao-Shaq swap?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:41 PM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: No McGrady In Dallas This Year

One good news is that we have to watch Steve Frances only twice a year.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:13 PM   #5
RocketFan11

RocketFan11 is on a distinguished road

The Rockets aren't quite done yet. Expect Eric Snow to be traded to Houston to run the point. As long asd McGrady starts to play defense like he did in Toronto (and he better - it's not like he has to expend all of his energy on the offensive end anymore), Snow/T-Mac should form the best defensive backcourt in the league, and probably the smartest to boot. It will be a major upgrade over Francis/Mobley, on all fronts (though I will miss the Cat - he's always been very loyal to the organization and is one of the finest human beings you will ever meet).

Also, Boki Nachbar has apparently been working out at Toyota Center every day of the offseason. He's a very good slasher, and if he's able to improve his finishing and perimeter shooting, he should be a pleasant surprise next season.

Obviously, there will be a big hole at backup C/PF with Cato leaving. But I think that with the $6.9million trade exception the Rockets have, they could be players in the Dampier sweepstakes. Erik is basically Cato, only a lot better... He'd be a perfect fit.

Regardless, there's no reason to think that we won't continue to make deals... And there's no reason to think that you guys won't still stomp us 3 out of 4 times next season, especially if you can pull off a deal for Shaq. But the Rockets are getting there. Trading Francis for McGrady is a good start.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:23 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: No McGrady In Dallas This Year

Quote:
Erik is basically Cato, only a lot better...
this comparison and immediate negation made me laugh....*sheesh*... rockets fans

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:26 AM   #7
RocketFan11

RocketFan11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Erik is basically Cato, only a lot better...
this comparison and immediate negation made me laugh....*sheesh*... rockets fans
It was akwardly worded, but the message I was trying to make was the Dampier has the same strengths and weaknesses as Cato, but has stronger strengths and weaker... Weaknesses. Okay, I'm tired and couldn't think of a better way to put. But Cato is a good defender and shot blocker. Dampier is a better defender and shot blocker. Cato has bad hands. Damp has bad hands, just not quite *as* bad. Cato has no range on his jumper. Damp has very little range on his jumper. Cato's lazy and inconsistent. Dampier was thought to be those things before his contract year came up. Cato's overpaid. Well, Dampier's paid even more, but he produces more, so I'll let it go.

So Erik is basically Cato... Only a lot better. Oh shut up.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:04 AM   #8
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Good riddance to Stevie Franchise. Rockets make out like bandits in this one.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:17 AM   #9
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Wow... both franchises are basically swapping teams. Or will a third team be involved in this?
Intriguing.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote