Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-17-2004, 05:29 PM   #1
auffe34

auffe34 will become famous soon enough
Default Vince Carter to Nets

for Alonzo Mourning, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams, two first rounders

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1948449

The New Jersey Nets and Toronto Raptors are awaiting league approval of a trade that would send Vince Carter to the Nets, according to several league sources.

Vince Carter
Forward
Toronto Raptors

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
20 15.9 3.3 3.1 .411 .694

The Raptors would acquire Alonzo Mourning, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams and two first-round draft picks in exchange for Carter. The trade cannot be announced until the NBA approves it for salary-cap purposes, which could happen before the end of the day.

All trades must be approved by the league office and players must pass physicals before they can become official. Carter is currently on the injured list with a strained left Achilles tendon suffered last Friday and will miss at least five games.

If the trade goes through, it would be the most serious indication yet that the Nets want to keep Jason Kidd and are willing to build a championship contender around him. After the offseason trades of Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles, Kidd expressed his displeasure with the direction the Nets were taking. However, with Carter on board, the Nets have a shot at moving back into contention.

According to one source, Kidd was briefed on the trade and thinks Carter will be a strong addition to the team.

The two first-round picks the Raptors are to receive in the trade were obtained by the Nets from Denver in the Martin trade.

One of the picks, which was Denver's 2005 first-rounder, is protected if it is one of the first three picks in the '05 lottery.

The other, which Denver obtained from Philadelphia before trading it to the Nets, is protected if it is one of the first eight picks in the '05 lottery and one of the first five picks in the '06 lottery.

A backcourt of Kidd, Carter and Richard Jefferson is a highlight reel waiting to happen. However, the Nets will be very thin up front. After the trade, the Nets would have just Jason Collins, Brian Scalabrine and rookie Nenad Kristic to play on the front line. The move has more interesting implications for the Raptors. Both Williamses are the type of players that coach Sam Mitchell is after. They are tough, blue collar guys who will play their hearts out. Mourning gives them some size at the five that they desperately need. However, it will be interesting to see how Mourning reacts to the trade.

He's been asking out of New Jersey all season because he wants to play for a contender. Whatever you think about this trade for Toronto, it's tough to say that it turns them into a playoff-caliber team. Instead, the Raptors are trying to surround their star young player, Chris Bosh, with solid, veteran players who play the right way. The two first-round picks should help them rebuild.

auffe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2004, 05:32 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Vince Carter to Nets

Mavs what?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Vince Carter to Nets

i think it is a great deal for the rapters. They made out like bandits
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #4
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

The reason this is Mavs related is because you can put those Kidd to Dallas rumors to rest.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:50 PM   #5
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Yes, you beat me to it Miles.

JKidd ain't coming.

I say we start playing Devin so maybe he can pull a TP in the playoffs.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

can you really? Carter wants to go to Charlotte next year and be their franchise player.... and Charlotee will have enough money to get him. Of course, i sign and trade will have to happen but that would give Carter to the Bobcats for four years while they develop all of their talent. This has also made it easier to trade Kidd becasue Alonzo Mourning doesnt have to be in a trade now.
A trade like Daniels/JET/Pavel for Kidd works... although we might not pull the trigger on that. If they wanted to take Hendu/Josh Howard/Quis for Kidd + First Rounder (but we might not want that), that would also work.

The Nets have a chance to clear out bundles of cap space of they can trade Vince to Charlotte this summer for jsut money and picks, becasue they got rid of one of the few longerm deals that they have : Eric Williams. If they move Kidd for expiring contracts or young guys.. they can rebuild very quickly.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The mavs were never interested in Kidd. The guy is older then nash and can't shoot the rock. Give this thing a chance in Big D. Besides other pgs that could be available are Baron Davis, Damon Stoudamire, and nick the quick.

The mavs are in the sixth spot despite a tough schedule. I know we lost to GS at home but it was bound to happen sooner or later. Patience comes to those who wait. The mavs should finish the season strong.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:15 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

How does this stop a trade for Kidd? If the Mavs really wanted Kidd they could set some deal up i'm sure but Kidd coming to Dallas was never going to happen in the first place. You slap every fan in the face who was against us not resigning Nash. I'd love to have a healthy Kidd on this team but from the looks of things he isn't so healthy.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:18 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
The mavs were never interested in Kidd. The guy is older then nash and can't shoot the rock. Give this thing a chance in Big D. Besides other pgs that could be available are Baron Davis, Damon Stoudamire, and nick the quick.

The mavs are in the sixth spot despite a tough schedule. I know we lost to GS at home but it was bound to happen sooner or later. Patience comes to those who wait. The mavs should finish the season strong.
I use to love Baron Davis and i'm somewhat still a fan but that showing he had with us earlier in the season was sickening. Wouldn't pass the ball even if a gun was to his head and what made matters worst he wasn't hitting any shots. That's something I don't really want in a Mavs uni but he's alot better than what he displayed against us. I'd still take him over anything we currently have though.

1996-2005
Old 12-17-2004, 06:23 PM   #10
auffe34

auffe34 will become famous soon enough

Maybe Nellie will see the light and play JET and Harris. Then we don't need to make a deal. In the beginning of the year all we heard was how this was the best Mavs team that we've had in awhile. Why are we playing those guys then? DA just makes one wonder.
auffe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:26 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

well NJ wanted to get rid of Mourning for one thing. If they were going to trade Kidd, it would have been with Mourning. It'll take a lot to yank Kidd away if we dont take any albatross contracts as well and Mourning was the biggest of them.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:35 PM   #12
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road

damn i wanted kidd so bad but i doubt he wants to leave now but u never know
Old 12-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #13
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
How does this stop a trade for Kidd? If the Mavs really wanted Kidd they could set some deal up.
The sole reason the Nets made the deal was to keep Kidd, that is "how it stops a trade for Kidd."

This ain't rocket science.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Carter doesnt get along with everybody, so who knows?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
Quote:
How does this stop a trade for Kidd? If the Mavs really wanted Kidd they could set some deal up.
The sole reason the Nets made the deal was to keep Kidd, that is "how it stops a trade for Kidd."

What? Instead of trying to bea smart ass try explaining what you are exactly trying to say. The Nets traded Zo so they can keep Kidd? Wtf? I assumed they did this trade to get Carter.

1996-2005
Old 12-17-2004, 07:36 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

someone move this outta here....
knicks must have loads of extra dough sitting around

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:55 PM   #17
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I don't think the Nets are looking to cut cash anymore.

I stole this from a Nets fan on another board named Hifofink:

The Nets new ownership was partners with Goldman Sachs over the summer. G.S. wanted to scrap the team, and make all min salaries. Hense trading Martin, Kittles, cutting harris, and trading our first round pick for money.

In Mid-Sept. Goldman Sach got out of the deal, and left bruce ratner up in the air. Old ownership bought back the percentage of the rest of the team tha G.S. was gonna buy.

Ratner and old ownership are willing to spend. Thats why they were willing to do this trade. However, GS was against spending any money, and is why martin was not resigned.

Ratner is also hoping Carter will boast attendance, as Nets attendance has been very low.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 08:04 PM   #18
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

how in the hell can Carter go to Charlotte in a sign and trade?
Old 12-17-2004, 08:36 PM   #19
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

They probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger unless Kidd gave his assurance that he'd stick around.

On paper, it looks a good deal for both teams. Raptors got rid of a whining, oft-injured, super-star with a max contract and received a couple of 1st round picks and a couple of decent players (Mourning, I suspect, would just stay on IR). They must be happy in Toronto.

Nets get a superstar, when healthy, giving up only a couple of decent players. They had plenty of 1st round picks from all the trades off-season and I'm sure they really don't care about the 2 they lost now. Moreover, they got rid of Mourning and found a way to retain Kidd. They gotta' be happy.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 08:51 PM   #20
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

DONG.... DONG.... DONG....

That's the sound of the church bells communicating the death of the Mavericks championship hopes.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:59 PM   #21
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I doubt they will be wanting any more turnover than what they have. Look what happened to us.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:33 PM   #22
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

You look at the lineup of Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson at the 1, 2, and 3 but then you see that Scalabrine and Collins are down low. What other team would Scalabrine start in?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:35 PM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

where's the chicken little graphic, again?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:14 AM   #24
Hitman
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
Quote:

What? Instead of trying to bea smart ass try explaining what you are exactly trying to say. The Nets traded Zo so they can keep Kidd? Wtf? I assumed they did this trade to get Carter.
You assumed wrong, my friend. The Nets made this deal to placate Jason Kidd.

And while they were placating Jason Kidd, they made themselves a better team.

Just not as good as they would have been had they kept Kenyon Martin in the first place.

Old 12-18-2004, 03:11 AM   #25
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Carter is not a free agent. He has 4 years left on his contract, and it is a max deal.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 09:16 AM   #26
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

final year is player's decision is it not?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:28 PM   #27
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
DONG.... DONG.... DONG....

That's the sound of the church bells communicating the death of the Mavericks championship hopes.
*sigh*

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote