Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
auffe34

auffe34 will become famous soon enough
Default Tim Thomas to the Clippers

Turns out, Tim Thomas wasn't as taken with the Suns as he claimed he was. Jumping at an opportunity to stay home in Los Angeles and grab and longer term deal for more money, NBA sources confirmed Saturday that Thomas will sign with the Clippers for four years at the mid-level exception, a deal that will be worth as much as $24 million.

For the second year in a row, the Suns failed to sign one of their own free agents that they felt would be a slam dunk. Last year, they wound up trading disgruntled guard Joe Johnson to Atlanta -- this time, they get nothing back for Thomas, who averaged 11 points a game in the regular season after joining Phoenix in last February and 15 points in the postseason, including a huge 3-pointer in Game 6 against the Lakers that allowed the Suns to stay alive and eventually reach the Western Conference Finals.

Sources say the Clippers offer was almost double the Suns best offer -- believed to be three years at or near $12 million, but the feeling was Thomas enjoyed his time in Phoenix so much that he would take less money to remain and make a run at an NBA championship.

Now, Phoenix goes to Plan B, and will try to sign as many as three veteran free agents with the money they were throwing at Thomas to sign a backup point guard, shooting guard and shot-blocking presence inside. Losing Tim Thomas also increases the likelihood that Kurt Thomas and James Jones will remain with the Suns, joining the new players that come aboard to back up the starting lineup of Steve Nash, Raja Bell, Shawn Marion, Boris Diaw and Amare Stoudemire.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=68843
auffe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
auffe34

auffe34 will become famous soon enough

Sorry. Already posted.
auffe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Thomas's career will be over in LA within 1 year. He only can shine in the run and gun offense of the Suns. Bad decision.
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Yeah, this was already posted, and I think this is a bad decision too.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Great choice, Tim you and Sterling deserve each other...
Old 07-02-2006, 12:55 AM   #6
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

I very much like Tim Thomas on their team instead of Rad-Man. Thomas has become quite the jump shooter.

I also like it because the Suns just lost there best big man shooter.

I actually think this really hurts there ability to make us play their way. With Boris Amare Marion and Kurt, they only have one who can shoot Three and he (Marion) can't even creat his own shot the way Thomas could.

I know the Mavs don't like him from playing him in the playoffs, but I would certainly have LOVED Thomas as the backup for Dirk.

Last edited by Scott McGuire; 07-02-2006 at 12:56 AM.
Scott McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:13 AM   #7
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Damn, Scott you've already doubled your yearly output on this forum... Better take it easy man...
Old 07-02-2006, 01:29 AM   #8
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

I guess with this post I am now averaging 3/year. I guess I always just liked to read, but now feel like giving my own input.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:37 AM   #9
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Good to see you finally posting

Time to change your sig?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote